Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The pepper spray incident was all over my feed, but that was because I have dozens of acquaintances at Davis. Aside from them, it was some "GET A JOB YOU HIPPIES" bullcrap.

Also, at no point were the protests taken as being harmful to the entire white community or "poor community" as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Evil_Greven posted:

Reminder that this poo poo happened even to white people all across the country during the Occupy movement, and nobody seemed to give a poo poo then.
Is there any theoretical people who COULD protest and get useful media coverage?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there any theoretical people who COULD protest and get useful media coverage?

Old white men?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apparently the way conservatives with degrees are justifying the destruction of higher education is that they've never once had to use their degrees when getting a job, because it was totally that they were a soldier.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

Old white men?

Did the media really portray them positively?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Nonsense posted:

Apparently the way conservatives with degrees are justifying the destruction of higher education is that they've never once had to use their degrees when getting a job, because it was totally that they were a soldier. gently caress you got mine.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hardly. Maryland doesn't have town-level municipalities like Missouri. All police are county-level (Baltimore City is, for the purposes of discussion, a county).

e:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Maryland posted:

Outside of Baltimore (which is an independent city) the county is the default unit of local government. Under Maryland law, counties exercise powers reserved in most other states at the municipal or state levels, so there is little incentive for a community to incorporate. Many of the state's most populous and economically important communities, such as Bethesda, Silver Spring, Columbia, and Towson are unincorporated and receive their municipal services from the county. In fact, there are no incorporated municipalities at all in Baltimore County or Howard County, and the state's largest county, Montgomery County, only has three incorporated municipalities. The county-equivalent is also the provider of public schools - school districts as a separate level of government do not exist in Maryland.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

They gave them a pretty unfiltered platform whenever, and whoever it was that remotely had connections to them.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reminder that the whole thing took off when CNBC gave noted giant manbaby Rick Santelli a platform to rant for 20 minutes about how the stimulus was bad because the people it was intended to help were OBVIOUSLY just lazy moocher welfare queens, etc. while bankers hooted and hollered in the background.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

Reminder that the whole thing took off when CNBC gave noted giant manbaby Rick Santelli a platform to rant for 20 minutes about how the stimulus was bad because the people it was intended to help were OBVIOUSLY just lazy moocher welfare queens, etc. while bankers hooted and hollered in the background.

Reminder none of those people ever lived in a home less than 2000 sq. ft.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Old white men?

They don't protest though, they show up to hour long presentations that happen to be outside.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil_Greven posted:

Reminder that this poo poo happened even to white people all across the country during the Occupy movement, and nobody seemed to give a poo poo then.

Are you loving kidding me? When that dude maced a row of white kids who were cuffed it was universally condemned even by people on the right except for the most terrible shitbags. The general violence was also condemned heavily. People gave way more a poo poo about some trust fund Maoist getting his tent kicked over than this poo poo. Plus it wasn't used as an example for how white people, on the whole, are just filthy monkey people who need to learn their place.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Plus it wasn't used as an example for how white people, on the whole, are just filthy monkey people who need to learn their place.
Yeah, that's a huge huge difference. It reminds me of when I was learning about the difference between anti-Japanese and anti-German propaganda in the war. The anti-German propaganda was that the Nazis tricked otherwise good people, and the anti-Japanese was that each and every one of them was evil. It just comes down to how much the targets look like the people making the propaganda.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've seen so much "Why can't they do it peacefully like they did in the 60's???" that my head loving exploded. It must be really nice to have your own separate reality.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

fknlo posted:

I've seen so much "Why can't they do it peacefully like they did in the 60's???" that my head loving exploded. It must be really nice to have your own separate reality.

They're not wrong.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They're not wrong.

How do you figure?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They're not wrong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

QUACKTASTIC posted:

How do you figure?
Well, you're looking at quite a dedicated gimmick account...

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So some cops in Myanmar roughed up some protesters while arresting them, and

quote:

President Thein Sein of Myanmar (formerly Burma) has defended the action of officers, telling the BBC that in many Western countries a similar situation might have ended in gunfire and death.

When the country that just got done being a military dictatorship defends its police brutality by essentially saying "hey, at least we're not as bad as America," well... that's just embarassing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's weird how some outlets insist on doing the "formerly Burma" stuff still. It's been like 25 years.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
Is there a decent livestream of Baltimore somewhere?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's weird how some outlets insist on doing the "formerly Burma" stuff still. It's been like 25 years.

Considering who made the decision to change the name it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. It's going to keep being a thing for the same reason that the former-Soviet nations are going to be thought of like that forever and labeled that any time it is relevant (hint: It's always relevant in Myanmar's case because the only news we ever get from there is about human rights violations).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BougieBitch posted:

Considering who made the decision to change the name it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. It's going to keep being a thing for the same reason that the former-Soviet nations are going to be thought of like that forever and labeled that any time it is relevant (hint: It's always relevant in Myanmar's case because the only news we ever get from there is about human rights violations).

Yeah but it's not like they were super good on rights for the 37 years of military rule while it was still called Burma.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In situations like these, who usually ends up treating the protesters better, the national guard or the riot police?

edit: also, is there any sign of the justice department and/or the FBI stepping up attempts to discover which other cities have camels one straw away? Or do they have something more pressing to do with their time?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They are Burma, and they have no right to dictate what is a matter of fact.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dinoputz posted:

Is there a decent livestream of Baltimore somewhere?

It's a-burnin'!

http://livestream.com/accounts/45219/events/4006239

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

In situations like these, who usually ends up treating the protesters better, the national guard or the riot police?

while the national guard has a troubling record usually by the time they get called in it's really dumb to be violent in public as there are also curfews and state of emergency and so on and there's so many cops out on the streets that you'll get arrested real quick

riots blossom when there aren't enough cops to arrest everyone, giving each individual violent citizen a decent chance of getting away with whatever they're doing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rather than watch an idiot wander around a city as though he's in the Egyptian desert, watch an actual reporter with actual interviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wks84RJxgh0

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fireman interviewed -

Vice: "did you put out the fire?"

BFD: "unfortunately"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Fireman interviewed -

Vice: "did you put out the fire?"

BFD: "unfortunately"

Is it Tim? Did he bum a mic to do real interviews with?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Is it Tim? Did he bum a mic to do real interviews with?

Watch the stream in the youtube, Tim is not on fire tonight unlike this very nuanced, and professional reporter.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

tomorrow, 100 white dudes on the internet will write 100 thinkpieces about Baltimore and the best, most nuanced views on the whole subject will have been from random interviews on the street in Baltimore

Real good stuff from Vice News stream by Monica Villamizar.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I can't get behind a reporter that doesn't bum rides and water and batteries from people.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Nonsense posted:

Real good stuff from Vice News stream by Monica Villamizar.

Could you share any brief highlights? I just got off work and things seem to have died down a bit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Could you share any brief highlights? I just got off work and things seem to have died down a bit.

The fireman interview was baffling, I just had to laugh it off, the scumfuck.

She's been interviewing residents of the area where Freddie Gray was last seen. Tim of an alternate stream has been mostly bumbling all night and looking for "action-violence-looting", and CNN is only airing the police's perspective.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is something that actually happened.

but it's all alright, because systemic racism isn't popular to talk about, so CNN talks about "urban ferals".

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 28, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
These Baltimore riots are a honey pot for racists good lord. Are there really so many people in this country waiting for a black person or groups of black people to behave poorly just so they can leap out and scream "AHA I knew it all along, you DONT deserve civilization"? That's the feeling I get reading through random Facebook and Reddit threads.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Relentlessboredomm posted:

These Baltimore riots are a honey pot for racists good lord. Are there really so many people in this country waiting for a black person or groups of black people to behave poorly just so they can leap out and scream "AHA I knew it all along, you DONT deserve civilization"? That's the feeling I get reading through random Facebook and Reddit threads.

uhh

yeah

yeah there are

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
America is super duper racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I am actually quite surprised how up in arms white people on my Facebook are getting about this. There wasn't this kind of response from my dumb racist acquaintances at any point during anything with Ferguson.

• Locked thread