Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Chappers posted:

A close-up of the tower destroyed in that first photo.

Full size here:
http://i.imgur.com/gtVIlrQ.jpg

I no longer care it was destroyed, because we have this awesome photo which takes up les sspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

There was a really great guy who ran a shirt shop down the way from the Kathmandu Radisson who took me on a tour for a few hours, just because he wanted to be nice. He called up his buddy who drives a taxi. We went to the monkey temple. Then he took me to his home in the Thamel district and fed me lunch. Met his son and daughters, all in their early 20s. Met his wife. The food was great. And then he took me back to the shirt shop, where I bought most of my souvenirs. He told me that many people come to Kathmandu and end up disappointed. It's a messy, noisy place. But he said he wanted to give me one good memory. And that, as a Muslim (and it's only 4% of the population of Kathmandu), all humans are his brothers and sisters. He gave me a big bear hug and sent me on my way. Best moment of the entire trip.

I believe his name is Anwar Ali, and I have no idea if he or his family are okay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where would you want to be right now, the ice falls or West Side Baltimore?

As a canadian I think my chances would be much better in Baltimore. "Can you help me? I'm lost. I'm Canadian." has a good chance of getting help from a decent person in Baltimore even when people are angry, meanwhile the mountain doesn't give a gently caress.

For example, in the 70s my then 18 year old mom found herself in a Hells Angels motorcycle clubhouse at 2 am while looking for a place to get something to eat while she waited for her greyhound connection. Pulled the "lost canadian" card. Not only didn't anyone hurt her, they gave her a hamburger and a coke, walked her back to the greyhound station and made sure nobody messed with her until she was safely aboard.

Being Canadian is pretty great. :canada:

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.

Cojawfee posted:

So is the Earthquake a member of ISIS? Only the buildings that insult Islam were destroyed.

Well, a lot of those buildings were very, very old. The Dharahara Tower was more recently built, in 1832. It was made of clay brick with mortar made from oil, resin, and red clay. The Nepali are well known for the high quality of their clay bricks, but at the end of the day it's still clay brick with resin mortar, then clay plaster on top (they had waterproofing in mind given the climate). It's vulnerable to earthquakes. Swayambhunath was built in like the 6th century. It was partially damaged in the quake, and the damaged areas appear to be clay brick.

The Vatsala Durga was built in 1696. It uses mostly stone. Stone in Nepal is of good quality but not widely used since the Nepali did not use wheeled vehicles at the time (the terrain is too mountainous for it to be practical) so transport of heavy stone was difficult. I don't know what, if any, mortar was used in Nepali stone construction.

The Changu Narayan was started as early as the 4th century, although restored somewhat in the 1500s. Parts of it are stone and parts of it are wood frame. The wood frame portions seem to have survived better.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Kaku is annoying in that I have no idea what he does but everyone uses him as a scientific expert. Future technology? Kaku. Current technology? Kaku. Climate Change? Kaku. If I were just to go off the discovery channel, he probably has a degree in The Future.

At least with Tyson I know he does astrophysics. He might be brought in to discuss other scientific things, but at least I know what is field is.

Kaku is a string theorist. The stuff he works on is really "understood" by something to the order of less than 1000 people worldwide, and it's perpetually in and out of favor as a grand unifying theory of physics.

It's quite literally decades ahead of any technology we could use to test the theories, either by instrument measurement or true mathematical modeling.

Basically he's got nothing to do lately, and he can speak in a salesman's cadence, and he's kindly asian, so he's perfect for excitedly talking about areas of science in which he has no experience or expertise.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

As a canadian I think my chances would be much better in Baltimore. "Can you help me? I'm lost. I'm Canadian." has a good chance of getting help from a decent person in Baltimore even when people are angry, meanwhile the mountain doesn't give a gently caress.

For example, in the 70s my then 18 year old mom found herself in a Hells Angels motorcycle clubhouse at 2 am while looking for a place to get something to eat while she waited for her greyhound connection. Pulled the "lost canadian" card. Not only didn't anyone hurt her, they gave her a hamburger and a coke, walked her back to the greyhound station and made sure nobody messed with her until she was safely aboard.

If you're white, Everest is a lot safer right now for you tbh. There's a huge difference between Hells Angels and a bunch of gangbangers from the hood.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ranbo das posted:

If you're white, Everest is a lot safer right now for you tbh. There's a huge difference between Hells Angels and a bunch of gangbangers from the hood.

Knowing what I do about the seventies and Hell's Angels, his mom most likely hosed a couple bikers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Congrats your dad was probably a Hell's Angel.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Wasabi the J posted:

Knowing what I do about the seventies and Hell's Angels, his mom most likely hosed a couple bikers.

Yeah was just about to post this.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Chappers posted:

There was a really great guy who ran a shirt shop down the way from the Kathmandu Radisson who took me on a tour for a few hours, just because he wanted to be nice. He called up his buddy who drives a taxi. We went to the monkey temple. Then he took me to his home in the Thamel district and fed me lunch. Met his son and daughters, all in their early 20s. Met his wife. The food was great. And then he took me back to the shirt shop, where I bought most of my souvenirs. He told me that many people come to Kathmandu and end up disappointed. It's a messy, noisy place. But he said he wanted to give me one good memory. And that, as a Muslim (and it's only 4% of the population of Kathmandu), all humans are his brothers and sisters. He gave me a big bear hug and sent me on my way. Best moment of the entire trip.

I believe his name is Anwar Ali, and I have no idea if he or his family are okay.

:smith: gently caress

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Chappers posted:

While I chuckle at all the insensitive things posted here; I appreciate these posts very much. Thank you and I hope they are okay as well.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fansy posted:

danfredinburg
6 days ago
Day 19: After snow delays, our Puja ceremony is finally underway. We piled up our gear on the alter to have it blessed. Lama Dawa Rita, a Sherpa from our Gurka team, asks the Goddess Everest for permission for our team to step through the ice fall soon. #Everest2015 #puja

michyramos
Only God can be prayed to...God bless you Dan, I pray that your family finds peace in this tragic time ❤️❤️❤️🙏

https://instagram.com/p/1v_tCexFgR/

can't miss a chance to lecture someone about god, you know, even if he's loving dead

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

death to all the foreigners attempting to secure rescue only for themselves.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Easy for you to say from the comfort of your computer chair

its loving easy.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Professor of Cats posted:

While I chuckle at all the insensitive things posted here; I appreciate these posts very much. Thank you and I hope they are okay as well.

Somewhere in a box is his business card. I'm going to fish it out, and in a month or two, when things calm a bit, I'll send him a message.

Tourism is a huge part of the Nepalese economy, and that's pretty much hosed for the next few years.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
everything is easier in a computer chair

I climbed mt everquest

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Fansy posted:

everything is easier in a computer chair

I climbed mt everquest

I launched myself off the summit of Everest all the way to K2, in my underwear.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

i'm the blessed beer

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

theflyingexecutive posted:

kaku is a self-aggrandizing clueless dbag

the sense of deja vu you're feeling is you having shifted between parallel universes (kaku actually said that)

CommunistPancake posted:

he's the asian neil degrasse tyson

unlike kaku neil degrasse tyson can admit he is not omniscient hth

So apparantly a German geology prof took his students on a field trip and they were standing on the epicenter when the quake happened. Prof kicked the bucket, someone who knew him said "it was a good death :black101:"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Angela Christine posted:

I though the hell's angels were actually pretty rad dudes??? Maybe not in the 70s...

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

gannyGrabber posted:

I though the hell's angels were actually pretty rad dudes??? Maybe not in the 70s...

No, they aren't.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Some photos from a BBC person here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32494505

His last quote is quite pertinent for the knives and tents chat - Base Camp is not considered a dangerous place, so the people there will likely not have been expecting or prepared for something like that.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Don't know if it's been posted, but climbing above ABC has been suspended in Tibet for at least 5 days.

Edit

In case people were interested here is the wiki on Alpine Style climbing.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 28, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just listening to a BBC guy on the world service.

He described the sound of the avalanche as like when you release the balls on a pool table but a million times louder

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Just listening to a BBC guy on the world service.

He described the sound of the avalanche as like when you release the balls on a pool table but a million times louder

That makes avalanches sound like the best thing ever. :allears:

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

ZombieLenin posted:

Don't know if it's been posted, but climbing above ABC has been suspended in Tibet for at least 5 days.
That'll be bad news for this guy, I just quick translated an article from local media here about his almost Everest-thread nemesis-y opinions.

From the news page of the danish broadcasting corp: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland/2015/04/27/133147.htm (in danish)
--------
Dane on Everest: I will summit for Nepal

After two days in safety at basecamp, the danish mountaineer Carsten Lillelund Pedersen estimates it might be time to continue, though not down the mountain towards civilisation.

“I’d like to reach the top”, he says

He’s had the opportunity to get evacuated, but has voluntarily chosen to stay at basecamp to help others. But now his whole team of 14 mountaineers and 17 sherpas is gathered at basecamp.

It’s not just stubbornness which leads Carsten Lillelund Pedersen to not give up on his dream of putting a flag at the top of the highest mountain in the world.

“It’ll hurt Nepal. I fear, that it would paralyse tourist climbing in Nepal, if nobody manages to reach the summit for the second year in a row.” He states, adding that most mountaineers at basecamp right now are extremely affected by the recent earthquake. All of his climbing group are however safe, no one is injured, but it is so far unknown how many of them will follow him in his summit attempt.

“People are considering the situation right now, but I’ll keep on pushing for the summit. It would be a shame if people stop climbing Everest from the Nepal side”, he says.

Carsten Lillelund Pedersen has analysed the situation from the perspective of “what is best for Nepal”, finding that “Nepal is already under immense pressure in so many ways. If we don’t keep tourism alive on the mountain, it would probably have bad consequences for the country”, says the danish mountaineer.

Nobody knows whether there are more earth- or after quakes in the coming days, but if there isn’t, Carsten Lillelund Pedersen believes that it might be safe to attempt the summit soon. “The quakes have already set off a bunch of avalanches and has, therefore, taken care of some of the worst dangers”, he says, adding “So the avalanches we might have had in the coming couple of weeks have already been ‘sprung’.”.

In a previous interview two days after the earthquake hit nepal, he stated “I’ll stay as long as it takes to summit.”

--------

:marc:

edit: I'm pretty sure he was at either camp 1 or camp 2 when the avalanche hit and is one of those people who enjoyed a helicopter ride back down to basecamp. I base this idea on a blogpost from camp 2 on the 24th of april.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 28, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

prinneh posted:

That'll be bad news for this guy, I just quick translated an article from local media here about his almost Everest-thread nemesis-y opinions.

From the news page of the danish broadcasting corp: http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Udland/2015/04/27/133147.htm (in danish)
--------
Dane on Everest: I will summit for Nepal

After two days in safety at basecamp, the danish mountaineer Carsten Lillelund Pedersen estimates it might be time to continue, though not down the mountain towards civilisation.

“I’d like to reach the top”, he says

He’s had the opportunity to get evacuated, but has voluntarily chosen to stay at basecamp to help others. But now his whole team of 14 mountaineers and 17 sherpas is gathered at basecamp.

It’s not just stubbornness which leads Carsten Lillelund Pedersen to not give up on his dream of putting a flag at the top of the highest mountain in the world.

“It’ll hurt Nepal. I fear, that it would paralyse tourist climbing in Nepal, if nobody manages to reach the summit for the second year in a row.” He states, adding that most mountaineers at basecamp right now are extremely affected by the recent earthquake. All of his climbing group are however safe, no one is injured, but it is so far unknown how many of them will follow him in his summit attempt.

“People are considering the situation right now, but I’ll keep on pushing for the summit. It would be a shame if people stop climbing Everest from the Nepal side”, he says.

Carsten Lillelund Pedersen has analysed the situation from the perspective of “what is best for Nepal”, finding that “Nepal is already under immense pressure in so many ways. If we don’t keep tourism alive on the mountain, it would probably have bad consequences for the country”, says the danish mountaineer.

Nobody knows whether there are more earth- or after quakes in the coming days, but if there isn’t, Carsten Lillelund Pedersen believes that it might be safe to attempt the summit soon. “The quakes have already set off a bunch of avalanches and has, therefore, taken care of some of the worst dangers”, he says, adding “So the avalanches we might have had in the coming couple of weeks have already been ‘sprung’.”.

In a previous interview two days after the earthquake hit nepal, he stated “I’ll stay as long as it takes to summit.”

--------

:marc:

edit: I'm pretty sure he was at either camp 1 or camp 2 when the avalanche hit and is one of those people who enjoyed a helicopter ride back down to basecamp. I base this idea on a blogpost from camp 2 on the 24th of april.

Well, if he's on the Nepal side I don't really know if there is an official climbing suspension.

The Nepal side is where all the damage and deaths are. It might be that the Nepalese government is to busy/didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to try.

The north side of the mountain in Tibet (China) was undamaged and where the new 5 day climbing ban was issued.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think someone I know died in Kathmandu but I'm not sure.

I live in a city in the middle of a rural region in Ontario, there's not a lot of good restaurants but one of the shining stars was this place called Rocky Raccoon Cafe, run by a fat and happy Nepalese man named Robin Pradhan. He had an air of showmanship about him and the place was as close to a michelin-star rated restaurant as this shithole city will ever get. About a year ago he went back to Nepal for a few months and the restaurant was closed during this time, re-opening upon his return as the Kathmandu Cafe. I used to eat there fairly frequently (a few times a month) because the food was always phenomenal and Robin always made sure that eating there was a dining experience. Anyways a couple months ago it closed down again and I heard he returned to Nepal once more due to an ailing parent, promising to return and feed the city with amazing food once again.

Yesterday, the building went up for sale. :smith:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
thats so sad those people died, but at least they died doing what they loved. :(

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think someone I know died in Kathmandu but I'm not sure.

I live in a city in the middle of a rural region in Ontario, there's not a lot of good restaurants but one of the shining stars was this place called Rocky Raccoon Cafe, run by a fat and happy Nepalese man named Robin Pradhan. He had an air of showmanship about him and the place was as close to a michelin-star rated restaurant as this shithole city will ever get. About a year ago he went back to Nepal for a few months and the restaurant was closed during this time, re-opening upon his return as the Kathmandu Cafe. I used to eat there fairly frequently (a few times a month) because the food was always phenomenal and Robin always made sure that eating there was a dining experience. Anyways a couple months ago it closed down again and I heard he returned to Nepal once more due to an ailing parent, promising to return and feed the city with amazing food once again.

Yesterday, the building went up for sale. :smith:

Very possible that he needs money for his family in Kathmandu pretty immediately? It would...surprise me if so soon after a person's death that their affairs were organised enough to allow for a sale of their estate.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Jeza posted:

Very possible that he needs money for his family in Kathmandu pretty immediately? It would...surprise me if so soon after a person's death that their affairs were organised enough to allow for a sale of their estate.

His brother is the owner and not in Nepal. Also the market here is very depressed and it'll probably be months before it sells.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

ZombieLenin posted:

Well, if he's on the Nepal side I don't really know if there is an official climbing suspension.

The Nepal side is where all the damage and deaths are. It might be that the Nepalese government is to busy/didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to try.

The north side of the mountain in Tibet (China) was undamaged and where the new 5 day climbing ban was issued.

Oh, I was confused, I thought the 5-day suspension was in nepal. He's still a bit of a dick tho!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

prinneh posted:

Oh, I was confused, I thought the 5-day suspension was in nepal. He's still a bit of a dick tho!

How does that make him a dick? He's probably right. Having someone summit in 2015 is probably good for Everest's PR, and Nepal will need that future revenue.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:(

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Pick posted:

How does that make him a dick? He's probably right. Having someone summit in 2015 is probably good for Everest's PR, and Nepal will need that future revenue.

I mean, it does seem pretty dickish. Rich people will still line up next year to climb, and it just seems like he's using the disaster as a selfish excuse to go ahead and go forward with his already existing plans.

Like the guy who was going to jump of the summit in a wing suit last year who wanted to continue with the climb/stunt after a bunch of his Sherpas died in the Khumbu Icefall avalanche to "honor them".

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

You guys really did piss off the mountain god, stay safe photoshop ghosts :ohdear:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 28, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It'd be even worse for Everest's PR if a group tried to climb it even after the recent events and then died to aftershocks. Which seems like a very real possibility.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

prinneh posted:

“The quakes have already set off a bunch of avalanches and has, therefore, taken care of some of the worst dangers”, he says, adding “So the avalanches we might have had in the coming couple of weeks have already been ‘sprung’.”
As not a geologist I can confirm with 100% accuracy that this is exactly how instability works after an earthquake.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

zedprime posted:

As not a geologist I can confirm with 100% accuracy that this is exactly how instability works after an earthquake.

It makes sense insofar as "avalanches that would have been caused by minor snow shifts have been shaken loose".

It just ignores the idea of more snow falling, aftershocks, and looking like a complete twat regardless of your stated goal of "doing it for Nepal", so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How does he intend to get past the ice fall?

• Locked thread