Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Comcast, $65 a month for this and basic cable.

But it doesn't matter, we're going to a corporate rate which will get us a free upgrade to HD and cut our bill in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Just had a massive fight with the wife over stupid bullshit. Marriage is sometimes the hardest thing.

some texas redneck posted:

Went ahead and yanked the CFLs, tossed a couple of spare LEDs into it. Much more tolerable.

Also, uh, I think I got my money's worth out of these CFLs... :stare:

That's the worst of them, but 2 others were almost as bad (the 4th was replaced a couple of years ago).

That bulb (and 2 others) are over 10 years old, with hours and hours of use per day. :stonk: They still work fine, just take a minute to reach full brightness now. Home Depot store brand (Commercial Electric).

When we renovated our place, I went and replaced every single light bulb with an LED light. since then our electricity bill has gone from ~$200/month to ~$90.

MrChips posted:

Internet speedchat:

This cost $66/month (including tax) here in Canada. Because our telco market is worse than anywhere else in the world save Mexico.

Oh I should also mention that it's 250 GB/month as well. If I want unlimited data, that's another $31/month because I'm not a TV customer.

Mine is 250GB as well. I'm sure glad the CRTC gave literally all of the power to 3 companies, who colluded with each other in non-compete's right? :a2m:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's 3am and I just want to fall asleep.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

Im with you...

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
you must be lonely

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

ssjonizuka posted:

Im with you...

Yup.

Woke up at 2am after falling asleep at 10pm. Wide freaking awake

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I have hit a new low in terms of lovely service at the dealer today. Seat was moved but not only depth, also height and inclination, and dozens of random settings were changed including disabling the loving parking sensors and some safety features, changing the automatic climate control power to the not default setting, and other random stuff. Tried to charge me for a gallon of wiper fluid, which I had filled just before coming too.
WTF Volvo ?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
LOL @your lovely internet (or not, i've got 20/2 at home) this is the internet on my school, and this is from my pc, running from a wireless hotspot from my phone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guys, I think my hard drive is in less than stellar condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Alok9lnn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcoA8L7mao

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MustardFacial posted:

When we renovated our place, I went and replaced every single light bulb with an LED light. since then our electricity bill has gone from ~$200/month to ~$90.

The majority of bulbs in the house were CFL, and have been for years now - I'm slowly changing them out to LEDs. The pain in the rear end ones to replace (i.e. way high up, such as the 6" recessed cans in the den), or the ones that are used most frequently, have been getting swapped to LEDs ahead of everything else. The only incandescent lights remaining in the house are a couple of table lamps that take candelabra bulbs (and I'm getting to those ASAP), the garage door opener (gently caress that, incandescent last longer in it due to the vibration), and a floodlight on the side of the house (motion sensor on it doesn't play nice with anything else).

The den has four 6" recessed cans; 3 bulbs are PAR38 LED floods, I went to pick up a fourth the other day, but Ikea was out of them (I want them all to match; Ikea is cheapest, and for whatever reason, certain family members in the house like the look of the Ikea bulbs the best). The kitchen has 8 cans; 3 are Commercial Electric retrofits (I REALLY wish I'd gone with screw-in bulbs now that prices have dropped, the retrofits are $36 + tax each), the rest are CFL, with one CFL burned out (it occasionally flickers and crackles, I should probably remove it). Two of those CFLs are over the sink (so rarely used, though those will get PAR30 LEDs next week, since the CFLs take a good 5 minutes to warm up), and one is over the bar (so also rarely used, also takes about 5 minutes to warm up). There's gimbals above the fireplace and feature wall in the formal living room that both have PAR30 CFLs, those will likely remain CFL since they're used so rarely.

The front porch lights stay on the most out of anything; there's two fixtures that each take 3x candelabra bulbs. I swapped one of them to 2.3 watt clear LED bulbs the other day, which is a bit dimmer than the bulbs in there before (40w incandescent), but it's a very nice soft light, a little on the pink side. I'm swapping the other fixture tomorrow. That takes those lights from 40x6 (240 watts) to 2.3x6 (13.8 watts).

Our back patio has 6 small recessed lights in the eves, plus a wall fixture by the door. 5 of the 6 recessed lights are cheap 40W replacement LEDs (they're directional anyway, so they wind up shining almost as much light as the 50W halogens they replaced, just a lot more diffused), and the one remaining halogen has been burnt out for months (I've been putting off replacing it because the fixture itself has broken loose from its mounts and hangs out a bit, I need to figure out how to get it apart and get it reattached). The wall fixture has a 13W CFL, since that works better than an LED in that application.

We also have TONS of landscape lighting. It used to be set to run from dusk till dawn. The timer for the backyard lighting crapped out, so we put it on a plug-in light sensor, which also crapped out - but the outlet next to the one intended for the lighting is on a switch that was originally intended for a fountain (the fountain fell over and broke years ago). So now that lighting is only on when we're actually in the back yard (rarely).

December saw our lowest ever electric bill (parents have had the house for 15 years), at $120. That's for a ~2330 sq ft 4 bedroom house, gas furnace, electric oven, gas stove, electric dryer, gas water heater, 5.5 ton a/c, and I have an 800W space heater in my room that I use on the coldest days. I've also turned into a bit of an energy nazi when it comes to walking through the house and turning poo poo off, ESPECIALLY the 36" CRT TV in the den. And now that I've stolen recovered my old ceiling fan from the other room, I won't have to run my portable a/c much, if at all, this summer.

Well if it wasn't before you took the cover off, it certainly is now. :haw:

But yeah, that sounds dead. Hope you had backups.

The best is when you have a 3 month old drive that's pulled the click..click..click.. after you've moved everything to it and gotten rid of the drives it replaced. With no backups. 8 years of photos... :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 28, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The lid is off because the spindle was stuck and needed a push.

The disk is my sister's and contains 2TB of fansubbed anime. So it's a net gain, I'd say :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

some texas redneck posted:

The best is when you have a 3 month old drive that's pulled the click..click..click.. after you've moved everything to it and gotten rid of the drives it replaced. With no backups. 8 years of photos... :sigh:

RAID is your friend. The acronym used to be Redundant Array Inexpensive Disks for a reason.

WD 2TB's are $80 each, too cheap not to buy in pairs.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
We are pretty much 100% CFL and I can't convince myself that moving to LED is a worthwhile move.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The one really important thing to remember about RAID is that the 0 in RAID 0 stands for how many of your files you will get back if any of the drives fail.

Also, don't buy "pseudo RAID" cards. They have all the proprietary goodness of a real, expensive, hardware RAID card and all of the performance issues of a software RAID. Either full, quality hw RAID (3ware, adaptec, LSI, PMC, etc, I have been out of the game a few years now) or linux/BSD based software RAID is the way to go.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm a big fan of HP's P420 cards, but they're not exactly consumer kit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
And don't forget that RAID is not back up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lightbulb Out posted:

And don't forget that RAID is not back up.

Cant be quoted enough. And your backups dont exist unless they are tested.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Everybody has to loose their important files at least once to learn the valuable lesson about keeping backups!

I've just been going through a spindle full of 10+ years of backup CD-R's/DVD's from my home machines as I am now backing up everything into a onedrive (I'm picking off anything I want and chucking the discs).

Many of the oldest discs wont read now. I'm glad there is nothing important I want from them!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Have local and online. Crashplan is cheap, and works well. There are other options to. I lost one drive full of photos years ago (RAID was not a backup :P ) and I've been extra-careful since. Losing files sucks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Home nas and a backup HDD at the parents 30 miles away. If both locations are destroyed I'm probably dead anyways.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sitting in court waiting to fight my speeding ticket. Sitting next to a smoke show, cotdaym son.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Cat Terrist posted:

Cant be quoted enough. And your backups dont exist unless they are tested.

Backups don't exist unless they're backed up - automatically - in two separate places, one of which is offsite and tested monthly.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/

New Dirt game is out in Early Access.

Well known AAA franchise game is in early access? gently caress Early Access.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ozmiander posted:

Well known AAA franchise game is in early access? gently caress Early Access.

Yep. Early Access is the new EA 0-day release: Pay us full price for an unfinished, super-buggy game and gently caress you if you complain about it.

I got shouted down on an online forum for berating a developer who still had a game [GameY] in "Alpha Early Access" status, but announced a week earlier that the sequel [GameY 2] was being placed into Early Access. People even defend that bullshit.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

Internet speedchat:

This cost $66/month (including tax) here in Canada. Because our telco market is worse than anywhere else in the world save Mexico.

Oh I should also mention that it's 250 GB/month as well. If I want unlimited data, that's another $31/month because I'm not a TV customer.

Yay for lovely overpriced Canadian internet!

Same price (roughly) and worst service.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also, do Ruckus guys not realize that if you strip the plastics off almost any japanese/chinese scooter, they look like a ruckus underneath?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Head crash! :smith:

Sigma X posted:

Yep. Early Access is the new EA 0-day release: Pay us full price for an unfinished, super-buggy game and gently caress you if you complain about it.

I got shouted down on an online forum for berating a developer who still had a game [GameY] in "Alpha Early Access" status, but announced a week earlier that the sequel [GameY 2] was being placed into Early Access. People even defend that bullshit.

Well, yea I dislike large companies taking advantage of it, however, Early Access gave me quite a few good games like Kerbal. I'm willing to let Early Access pass for indie developments.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just buy new hard drives every 4 years or so while everything is still working great and move everything over. I am basically inching myself down a really thin branch but it hasn't snapped yet so I keep doing it. Im sure one day it will bite me in the rear end.

Also, STR don't post any more pictures of your thumb.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Beat my speeding ticket. :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cage posted:

Also, STR don't post any more pictures of your thumb.

Did someone mention hosed up thumbs? :v: be real careful around bicycle chains, kiddos!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Beat my speeding ticket. :)

did you get the girls # tho

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

Did someone mention hosed up thumbs? :v: be real careful around bicycle chains, kiddos!

You trim your nails way too short, dude :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

You trim your nails way too short, dude :v:

I have a nailbiting problem. I'd rather chew my nails to nubs than smoke, though, and I'm doing pretty good on that front.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Nah, I suck. We chatted for a bit because she was nervous. I told her to smile and act cute and she would get off. She did. Tried to find her after I was done but couldn't. I know her name and where she goes to school but I'm not gonna bother.

One of my best friends called me last night. He's coming up from NC for a week tomorrow night for his sister's birthday. Haven't seen him or his GF in about 2 years now so it should be fun.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can't put any of my music from my laptop onto my new phone because it's too old to talk to the Samsung installer :eng99:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I can't put any of my music from my laptop onto my new phone because it's too old to talk to the Samsung installer :eng99:

The S5? Just plug it in, and drag and drop the music files. I think there are apps somewhere to sync iTunes playlists, but I always just used drag and drop for the albums I wanted, and let Google Music's ~~~~cloud~~~~ hold everything else.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Did anyone else have to google "smoke show" after realizing that they aren't talking about some stoner?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Did anyone else have to google "smoke show" after realizing that they aren't talking about some stoner?

Look up 'Draft Vaping'

Yeah. Competitive Vaping.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Cage posted:

What, really?

CommieGIR posted:

Look up 'Draft Vaping'

Yeah. Competitive Vaping.

That sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Alarbus posted:

The S5? Just plug it in, and drag and drop the music files. I think there are apps somewhere to sync iTunes playlists, but I always just used drag and drop for the albums I wanted, and let Google Music's ~~~~cloud~~~~ hold everything else.

No what i'm saying is it doesn't even show up.as a hard drive on my computer at all, no.drag and drop.option.

• Locked thread