Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arrath posted:

I'm gonna have to go with a general complaint: The death of splitscreen.

For the next few months I'm living out of a hotel room with a friend of mine while we work on a construction project. I have my xbone and two controllers, but there just aren't that many games we can play together on the same console anymore. Racing and sports games are just about the only ones these days, along with the Halo collection.

There's also fighting games like Mortal Kombat X and the rare games that support splitscreen still like Dynasty Warriors or Hyrule Warriors or Smash Bros, but yeah in general games barely support splitscreen now and its kinda lame. Its understandable what with online being ubiquitous and having to target one or the other, but it still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah the slow death of splitscreen and couch co-op is pretty sad, I spent a long time as a kid with friends dicking around in various splitscreen games. My fiancee and I played through Diablo 3 together on 360 recently and it was great, I hope the next generation doesn't totally abandon that sort of thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If multiplayer is regulated to online only that means they can sell twice as many copies of a game and twice as many consoles. plus subscriptions :tinfoil:

Though yeah, currently my brother an I can only play local with lego batman. I'm hoping to get all my consoles back from my parents soon so we can pop on the N64 and play Jesus Scars Mario Party 1.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Leal posted:

If multiplayer is regulated to online only that means they can sell twice as many copies of a game and twice as many consoles. plus subscriptions :tinfoil:

Am I crazy, or did Sony say that their plan with the PS4 was to make it so only one person needed to have a copy for certain co-op games?

I have a PS4, but don't do much multiplayer on it aside from Bloodborne, which certainly requires both parties to have a copy, but that's more because of how the game's multiplayer is designed, since it's completely integrated into the single player.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Any game with local multiplayer can use Shareplay.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Arrath posted:

I'm gonna have to go with a general complaint: The death of splitscreen.

For the next few months I'm living out of a hotel room with a friend of mine while we work on a construction project. I have my xbone and two controllers, but there just aren't that many games we can play together on the same console anymore. Racing and sports games are just about the only ones these days, along with the Halo collection.

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I bought a WiiU. It continues Nintendo's tradition of being a generation behind in terms of online but they are pretty drat committed to local multiplayer.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I bought a WiiU. It continues Nintendo's tradition of being a generation behind in terms of online but they are pretty drat committed to local multiplayer.

Hyrule Warriors has the best co-op ever. One player gets the whole TV, one player gets the whole gamepad screen. I really wish that Mario Kart 8 had something like that (or the ability to use the gamepad as a rear view mirror, COME ON)

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I did it the first time I played but when the HD Remaster came out I paid a neighbor kid to do it because gently caress that poo poo

It's almost impossible to do it in the remaster based on a/v lag. I know there's a place where the lightning has a reliable pattern and that's how I did it in the past. There's no point in doing it for the remaster, and as far as I'm concerned it was a waste of money for me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

im pooping! posted:

It's almost impossible to do it in the remaster based on a/v lag. I know there's a place where the lightning has a reliable pattern and that's how I did it in the past. There's no point in doing it for the remaster, and as far as I'm concerned it was a waste of money for me.

I did it just fine using the spot in the remaster, though whether it was a waste of time is a different matter.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Leal posted:

The funny thing is that, at least last generation, games with strong local multiplayer VASTLY outperformed those without. I'm not sure if that's true now, and it'd be hard to judge right now because most strong local multiplayer is on the WiiU which doesn't have a great market share, but it was true when things were close enough to compare.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Leal posted:

Nintendo's been doing this with different versions of Pokemon since before consoles even came with modems.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Losing the cops in GTA5 is loving annoying, it takes too long, and the cops can just spawn out of nowhere virtually on top of you, or they can psychically divine where you're hiding if you manage to duck into an alley or something. Being diverted into a tedious 10-minute escape because you accidentally nick a cop's bumper on the way to a mission can just get bent.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RyokoTK posted:

Losing the cops in GTA5 is loving annoying, it takes too long, and the cops can just spawn out of nowhere virtually on top of you, or they can psychically divine where you're hiding if you manage to duck into an alley or something. Being diverted into a tedious 10-minute escape because you accidentally nick a cop's bumper on the way to a mission can just get bent.

The worst is when you switch to Trevor and happen to pull the unlucky number to be stuck in a chase in his lovely truck

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, I hate switching to Trevor and suddenly I'm in a police chase with 2 stars on the highway. I just wanted to start the next mission dammit :saddowns:

And in Shadow of Mordor: The nemesis system is great... if you do die sometimes. I hardly ever died (to orcs) and when I had to fight my nemesis I had no loving clue on who he was.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
One of the big selling points of the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter was that it was going to have a documentary covering the entire behind-the-scenes work at the office during the game's development and release:

quote:

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers. This documentary series will strive to make the viewer as much a part of the process as possible by showing a game grow from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way. Double Fine is committed to total transparency with this project, ensuring it is one of the most honest depictions of game development ever conceived.

I bring this up because they finally finished and, despite their promises of transparency and honesty, they completely memory holed everything related to Spacebase DF-9. Before the project was shut down they talked about it and the other things going on in the Double Fine offices and not just the game that would become Broken Age so it's not even like they can defend it as being outside the scope of the documentary. Just one more way the Kickstarter wound up being a huge disappointment.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Sleeveless posted:

One of the big selling points of the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter was that it was going to have a documentary covering the entire behind-the-scenes work at the office during the game's development and release:

I bring this up because they finally finished and, despite their promises of transparency and honesty, they completely memory holed everything related to Spacebase DF-9. Before the project was shut down they talked about it and the other things going on in the Double Fine offices and not just the game that would become Broken Age so it's not even like they can defend it as being outside the scope of the documentary. Just one more way the Kickstarter wound up being a huge disappointment.

The key phrase in that statement is "with this project." The commitment to transparency wasn't for the company as a whole, so yeah, they can.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Shadow of Mordor: the final "boss fight". And the ending in general, really. Weirdly paced, very abrupt. It also really felt like they betrayed Talion's characterization at the end because of video game protagonist; the whole game he's like "I just want to kill the Black Hand so I can die and join my family", and in the end he's all like "lol I can't do that then there's no sequel"

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

DStecks posted:

Shadow of Mordor: the final "boss fight". And the ending in general, really. Weirdly paced, very abrupt. It also really felt like they betrayed Talion's characterization at the end because of video game protagonist; the whole game he's like "I just want to kill the Black Hand so I can die and join my family", and in the end he's all like "lol I can't do that then there's no sequel"

I dunno. Since that game occurs LONG before the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings - I'm not sure why you thought the Black Hand would die, since that would basically be a complete retcon of the entire Tolkien universe.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lagomorphic posted:

The WiiU is fantastic for co-op/multiplayer games, its like entirely designed for it almost.

Thing dragging it down though; you gotta have proper controllers for the proper game or have a less-than-optimal experience. For example trying to play smash bros with a wiimote/nunchuck sucks, as does trying to play mario kart with just a wiimote.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Don't worry, I felt exactly the same about the cops when I started playing but now I can slip away from the cops in my sleep. It comes with time.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
My biggest gripe about GTA V is how ridiculously stupid body armor is.

Getting shot makes sense that it absorbs that damage. Getting punched and stabbed however doesn't absorb it and that makes total sense.

However, body armor absorbs both fall damage and being struck by cars. Who thought that was a good idea? So a fist penetrates body armor but a 2 ton pickup doesn't?

I can't count the amount of times a friend in online has had body armor and I hit them in a semi at full speed, smash them into a convenience store and they get up like "Whew glad I had armor on that would've been nasty otherwise!"

It makes running people over in cars actually pretty worthless half the time. Especially in TDM when guys have heavy armor and you have to back over them like ten times to kill them in a flat bed truck. You're better off just shooting everything.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I'm playing through NG+ in Batman Arkham City, and the only real issue I still have is the lack of a targeting reticle in combat. The game throws stun baton guys at you way early, and Batman has a bad habit of choosing the guy next to the target I want when I'm throwing punches in combat. So unless I dedicate all of my combos to Destroy and Disarm (which will home in on an armed person if I X+Y in their general direction), I have to be extremely careful to not be anywhere near stun guys. A simple arrow above the dude that you're about to punch would go a long way for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HaB posted:

I dunno. Since that game occurs LONG before the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings - I'm not sure why you thought the Black Hand would die, since that would basically be a complete retcon of the entire Tolkien universe.

It takes place between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

RyokoTK posted:

They don't do a very good job of explaining it but there are actually two ways the cops are chasing you. If your icon on the minimap is white that means the cops know what you look like/what you're driving and will pretty much home in on you. If it is gray that means they're looking but don't know who you are. If you're quick about it you can actually drive right by a cop in search mode if you're gray, although they can still spot you and switch to white if you get too close.

I do agree that it takes way too long for the wanted level to go away.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

muscles like this? posted:

It takes place between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

They don't do a very good job of explaining it but there are actually two ways the cops are chasing you. If your icon on the minimap is white that means the cops know what you look like/what you're driving and will pretty much home in on you. If it is gray that means they're looking but don't know who you are. If you're quick about it you can actually drive right by a cop in search mode if you're gray, although they can still spot you and switch to white if you get too close.

I do agree that it takes way too long for the wanted level to go away.

Holy crap I've played through the game twice on different consoles and probably chalked up 100 hours of this game and I didn't have a single clue that was a feature...

I know there are times I've driven by cops with a wanted level and not been seen and thought it was just luck or a bug. I've also ran from the scene of a crime down an alley and his maybe fifty feet away in a corner with my gun out and the cops just stood around itching their asses.

That really should be explained better, you're right. I assume you can go "grey" by swapping vehicles?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chinatown Wars had the best police system in a GTA game.

Each star level had an associated number of cop cars you had to run off the road/otherwise take out to drop down a level.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

muscles like this? posted:

Haha what the gently caress, they never mention that anywhere in the game. That would be kind of nice to know!!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RyokoTK posted:

Haha what the gently caress, they never mention that anywhere in the game. That would be kind of nice to know!!

There probably is a tool tip about it, but it probably appears in a tiny corner, to the side of the screen, I'm size 4 font, while being chased by the police.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hunky Joe posted:

That really should be explained better, you're right. I assume you can go "grey" by swapping vehicles?

Yes, if you switch vehicles outside of a vision cone they don't know to look for that vehicle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

There probably is a tool tip about it, but it probably appears in a tiny corner, to the side of the screen, I'm size 4 font, while being chased by the police.

In the prologue, one of your partners says "They haven't identified this car yet" and you drive past some police.

I would not be surprised if they consider that the tutorial for it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RyokoTK posted:

Losing cops in GTA5 is super easy so you must be doing something wrong dude.
Just literally play pacman with them. You're pacman and the cops are the ghosts. And the alleys are the lanes.

Drive fast and break LOS, then duck in an alley. As long as the alley isn't right next to where they lost sight of you, they won't magically know where you are. Eventually they'll work it out and come down your street if you were too close by or if you have a high wanted level, but then you can just play pac-man and run circles around the block and around the alleys to lose them again. Really easy to wind out the clock that way and lose wanted levels.

EDIT: When I say duck in an alley I mean you have to break LOS so that the cops switch from having the full map be red & blue to having little cones of vision. If you don't understand this, THIS is why you're having trouble. This is literally How Cops Work In GTA™. If you duck in an alley while they still have vision on you its not going to accomplish poo poo. They're just gonna follow you.

The ONLY way it gets hard is if you have 3+ stars and helicopters on your rear end. In which case just loving drive really fast until they lose sight of you, or duck under a bridge or something. Then just do the above ^

Honestly don't understand why you're having such a hard time. The cops are not psychic by ANY means.
Also I've never once had a cop spawn on top of me, so you need to change your settings. Or are you on console?

Arrath posted:

Don't worry, I felt exactly the same about the cops when I started playing but now I can slip away from the cops in my sleep. It comes with time.

Seriously it is SOOO easy if you just approach it the right way.
Sounds like RyokoTK is trying to force a square peg into a round hole and getting upset it isn't working. Try something else dude!
Its super easy. I'm almost tempted to record "how to get away from cops for dummies" videos since so many people seem to have trouble with it.

Plus you can always pay Lester like $400 to lose your wanted level which is like, barely any money at all? :v:

RyokoTK posted:

You must REALLY not be paying attention then. In one mode the whole map flashes red and blue because they know where you are, in the other mode they all have cones of vision and they're going looking for you. That's why you think they're "psychic". They're not dude, you just haven't broken LOS yet.

If you don't understand what breaking LOS looks like in GTA is this your first GTA game?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Apr 28, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...Wait, that's not how Pacman works.

Zaphod42 posted:

You must REALLY not be paying attention then. In one mode the whole map flashes red and blue because they know where you are, in the other mode they all have cones of vision and they're going looking for you. That's why you think they're "psychic". They're not dude, you just haven't broken LOS yet.

If you don't understand what breaking LOS looks like in GTA is this your first GTA game?

They're talking about a different mechanic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

...Wait, that's not how Pacman works.

They're talking about a different mechanic.

Its Pacman++, yeah there's some stuff pacman didn't have to worry about, but after you break LOS it turns into pacman getting away from the ghosts.

And pacman definitely works where there's certain corners you can hide in and it takes awhile for them to find you, and then when you do you can just circle around and hide there again. I mean people manage to go on bathroom breaks while maintaining a single game of pacman if they're going for the high score, there's ways to be safe and hide.

As for the other mechanic its much more subtle and really not necessary to pay attention to at all.

Break LOS -> Play pacman. Easy. As long as you're in an alley even if their cones of vision touch you you'll still be fine. You only have to move if they come down your exact alley, which it should take them awhile to do and then you can find a new alley.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Chinatown Wars had the best police system in a GTA game.

Each star level had an associated number of cop cars you had to run off the road/otherwise take out to drop down a level.

Only game where I was pumped to be Wanted. I'd have fun getting my stars up and then having to smash my way back down. Even Saints Row hasn't figured it out this well. Being Wanted in GTAV can be fun once in a while but eventually it will inevitably become a drag.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
Losing stars in GTA Online is not 'hard', It's just not fun. You can always drive into a mechanic shop to lose all your stars, but there are only 4 of those on the whole gigantic map. You can put on/take off a mask and lose 1 star instantly. Lester can only help if you have 2 stars or less, so lets hope you didn't nick a cop with your bumper or anything. If these options are not open to you you are sitting in an alley waiting for several minutes. I usually break the law by my safe house, so I break LOS and go inside my apartment and wait, but again it takes minutes. That's not fun, waiting for a set period of time in a time out waiting for your chance to play the game. It takes a screeching halt from 'crime simulator' into 'preschool simulator' where you have to sit in the corner for a few minutes because your dude was loitering.

I mean it's a good chance to go into the other room and grab a drink or something, but I'd rather play the game. maybe I am weird and not seeing the insane white knuckle action of sitting in an alleyway for a minute.

Also if a cop never spawned within 10 feet of you, you just haven't played the game long enough. It'll happen, trust me. Try running from 3+ stars in an airplane, a heli will spawn 5 feet in front of you and cause you to crash into it and die I guarantee.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Lap-Lem posted:

Also if a cop never spawned within 10 feet of you, you just haven't played the game long enough. It'll happen, trust me. Try running from 3+ stars in an airplane, a heli will spawn 5 feet in front of you and cause you to crash into it and die I guarantee.

Another way to see the spawning blatantly is to get a lot of stars and then go up a mountain. You have line of sight in all directions and can literally see them pop into existence a few feet away from you on the mountain top.

As for them being "psychic" it is certainly true. I've had instances where I killed an NPC in the middle of nowhere with no witness then ducked into an alcove or something, and the cops show up with cones indicating they're looking for me yet instead of canvasing the area they just make a straight beeline for my hiding spot right off the bat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lap-Lem posted:

Losing stars in GTA Online is not 'hard', It's just not fun. You can always drive into a mechanic shop to lose all your stars, but there are only 4 of those on the whole gigantic map. You can put on/take off a mask and lose 1 star instantly. Lester can only help if you have 2 stars or less, so lets hope you didn't nick a cop with your bumper or anything. If these options are not open to you you are sitting in an alley waiting for several minutes. I usually break the law by my safe house, so I break LOS and go inside my apartment and wait, but again it takes minutes. That's not fun, waiting for a set period of time in a time out waiting for your chance to play the game. It takes a screeching halt from 'crime simulator' into 'preschool simulator' where you have to sit in the corner for a few minutes because your dude was loitering.

I mean it's a good chance to go into the other room and grab a drink or something, but I'd rather play the game. maybe I am weird and not seeing the insane white knuckle action of sitting in an alleyway for a minute.

Eh this is all true except it does not take "minutes" to lose wanted level, especially if you're inside your apartment and fully safe. Time it next time dude, you're exaggerating. Its like 30 seconds tops.

I've been running through the game on 5 stars travelling across the game as fast as possible in an inferno and I never had cops spawn on me. Trust me it doesn't have to happen. Something is hosed up with your configuration or your hardware. You on max settings? I guess maybe on lower settings that could be an issue, but I'm on max and its never even remotely happened.

I've never even seen a car spawn on screen, much less a cop car. Sounds like its not spawning so much as your computer isn't rendering it until its too late for you to respond to.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just love that no matter what issue in whatever game is brought up in this thread, there's someone ready to post "no that doesn't happen, you just suck, git gud" :rolleyes:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Esroc posted:

Another way to see the spawning blatantly is to get a lot of stars and then go up a mountain. You have line of sight in all directions and can literally see them pop into existence a few feet away from you on the mountain top.

As for them being "psychic" it is certainly true. I've had instances where I killed an NPC in the middle of nowhere with no witness then ducked into an alcove or something, and the cops show up with cones indicating they're looking for me yet instead of canvasing the area they just make a straight beeline for my hiding spot right off the bat.

It does seem like they cheat in order to make it so that anywhere outside of LS isn't just Mad Max.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh this is all true except it does not take "minutes" to lose wanted level, especially if you're inside your apartment and fully safe. Time it next time dude, you're exaggerating. Its like 30 seconds tops.

I've been running through the game on 5 stars travelling across the game as fast as possible in an inferno and I never had cops spawn on me. Trust me it doesn't have to happen. Something is hosed up with your configuration or your hardware. You on max settings? I guess maybe on lower settings that could be an issue, but I'm on max and its never even remotely happened.

I've never even seen a car spawn on screen, much less a cop car. Sounds like its not spawning so much as your computer isn't rendering it until its too late for you to respond to.

Nah I've rarely had trouble escaping the cops but there definitely seems to be a random element to how long they take to give up. I've had 1 and 2 stars occasionally take several minutes, and I've had 4 and 5 stars occasionally take like 20 to 30 seconds.

I've never seen cops spawn on-screen either but I've seen them appear on the minimap when they're in cone vision mode. Plus there are definitely times when the cops are ostensibly not aware of my location but just beeline straight for me - I think it's just a shortcoming in the AI that does this because more often they seem to search in reasonably sensible patterns or just patrol around, but I can absolutely remember some occasions where they had no means of knowing where I am, but came right at me without any hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The tip of taking off your mask to lose a star is an excellent one to keep in mind, especially if you shoot the convenience store clerk during the robbery, like I do. Haul rear end out of there, break LOS and take off the mask to go from 3 to 2 stars, no more choppers making my life miserable.

RyokoTK posted:

I just love that no matter what issue in whatever game is brought up in this thread, there's someone ready to post "no that doesn't happen, you just suck, git gud" :rolleyes:

:shrug: Zaphod may be, but I do think it's a valid complaint. I felt the same way at first. Like Lap Lem said, its not particularly hard once you get the hang of it (though losing choppers can be tricky if you have a crappy car) but it may not always be the most enjoyable activity. "Hey, I did something fun! Now I have to hide in an alley for a minute before I can have fun again." It really does get easier and easier as you play more, and it goes from a challenge to a somewhat annoying hassle every now and then. I make it more enjoyable by chucking out tons of grenades and sticky bombs to make the chase a little more interesting for the cops.

But then, I really only play open world free for all deathmatch GTA:O these days where cops are hardly a concern.