Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sullat
Jan 9, 2012
What was wrong with Trojan? Had a co-worker that used to work there. Not sure I believe his interpretation of why it was shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sullat posted:

What was wrong with Trojan? Had a co-worker that used to work there. Not sure I believe his interpretation of why it was shut down.

The impression I have is that the contractor basically did a slipshod job of construction and the plant had a lot of problems with steam leaks, but I don't have any concrete sources. Actually, if anyone knows of any good books on Trojan, I'd love to read them.

Curious to hear what your co-worker had to say, though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm also still sad they had to demolish the cooling tower. Big-rear end cooling towers look cool.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
LOL at the folks on Whidbey Island complaining about the sound of air traffic enough to seek an injunction over it. No different than the folks who complain about the idea of a handful of Allegiant flights coming into/out of Paine Field. You enjoy reduced prices for your homes and property, and the fact that there's air traffic was pretty loving obvious. If you don't like the sound of airplanes, don't move so loving close to an active airport.

Double LOL for the Mukilteo folks - I live right next to Paine and you hear at worst half a dozen flights per day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

LOL at the folks on Whidbey Island complaining about the sound of air traffic enough to seek an injunction over it. No different than the folks who complain about the idea of a handful of Allegiant flights coming into/out of Paine Field. You enjoy reduced prices for your homes and property, and the fact that there's air traffic was pretty loving obvious. If you don't like the sound of airplanes, don't move so loving close to an active airport.

Double LOL for the Mukilteo folks - I live right next to Paine and you hear at worst half a dozen flights per day.

Same thing goes for all the dumbfucks who move next to the race tracks and offroad vehicle parks and complain. Fuckin nimbys.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Down here, Californians like to move into the old-white-people area next to the shooting range and then bitch about the gunshots. Fortunately the county tells them to go sit on a pineapple because the range has been there for decades.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

BraveUlysses posted:

Same thing goes for all the dumbfucks who move next to the race tracks and offroad vehicle parks and complain. Fuckin nimbys.

They're not really NINBYs at that point then are they? More of a FYGM, since they purchased that house and lot for 45% below market and now want their "investment" to mature.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SeaborneClink posted:

They're not really NINBYs at that point then are they? More of a FYGM, since they purchased that house and lot for 45% below market and now want their "investment" to mature.

How about a subspecies of NIMBY? all of the 'not in my backyard' but none of the foresight to realize what they willingly got themselves into in the first place

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BraveUlysses posted:

How about a subspecies of NIMBY? all of the 'not in my backyard' but none of the foresight to realize what they willingly got themselves into in the first place

NIYBY: Not In Your Backyard!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

I like this sweet little tidbit at the bottom of the Seattle Times article: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/whidbey-citizens-group-files-suit-over-navy-growlers-noise/

quote:

The Askins have had enough of the noise. They bought their house only last year, but it is now up for sale.

I'm sure that living under naval training exercises sucks, but come on, you knew what you were getting in to.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
We already have a name for these people. Baby Boomers.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

tk posted:

I'm sure that living under naval training exercises sucks, but come on, you knew what you were getting in to.

It sounds like they should be suing their real estate agent, not the Navy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

Doesn't this poo poo happen to working farms as well?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Excuse me sir but your cows fornicating ruins my picturesque rural view and upsets the children. :monocle:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The impression I have is that the contractor basically did a slipshod job of construction and the plant had a lot of problems with steam leaks, but I don't have any concrete sources. Actually, if anyone knows of any good books on Trojan, I'd love to read them.

The Wikipedia page on it actually has a decent timeline of the events surrounding the plant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Nuclear_Power_Plant

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Basically his theory was that PGE didn't want to take the risk of having it get shut down by ballot measure after sinking so much into fixing it, so they just shut it down instead. And laid him off. Then he lost all his pension money to Enron. He was not happy about having to work with a bunch of whippersnappers.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Interesting perspective on the idea of sending Our Water to California

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/data/rain-soaked-seattle-has-nations-highest-water-bills/

right click > open in new private window

One thing that stood out was at the end:

since the late 1980s, the city’s total water usage has declined by more than 40 percent, despite a population gain of 135,000.

In 2010, the average Seattleite used 52 gallons of water per day — far below the national average of 89 gallons.

Would be interesting to know all the factors that play into that.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Nobody has a yard, for one.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kurt_Cobain posted:

In 2010, the average Seattleite used 52 gallons of water per day — far below the national average of 89 gallons.

Would be interesting to know all the factors that play into that.
The desert of Orange County CA. (And etc.)

MrKatharsis posted:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have almost a third of an acre in Seattle and literally 0% of it is grass.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The water supply is open canals and the canals are full of dust and when the sprinklers finally dry up, all the lawns will brown. The accumulated thirst of all their almonds and tomatoes will bleed them dry and all the movie stars and politicians will look up and shout, "give us your water!" ...and we'll look down and whisper, "no."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

Even people who do have a yard generally don't have a sprinkler system or need to water it... pretty much ever.

Also, we sunk a metric fuckton of money into our water infrastructure, which cuts down on waste tremendously.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

oxbrain posted:

The water supply is open canals and the canals are full of dust and when the sprinklers finally dry up, all the lawns will brown. The accumulated thirst of all their almonds and tomatoes will bleed them dry and all the movie stars and politicians will look up and shout, "give us your water!" ...and we'll look down and whisper, "no."

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oxbrain posted:

Yeah, if they put the money that we did into their infrastructure and had the farmers conserved a bit, stopped irrigating with open trenches, their situation would be better off.

But what did they expect? Its a desert. Now Arizona, *that* is how you live in the desert.(which begs the question: Why would you, but I digress)

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Thanatosian posted:

Even people who do have a yard generally don't have a sprinkler system or need to water it... pretty much ever.

Also, we sunk a metric fuckton of money into our water infrastructure, which cuts down on waste tremendously.

What infrastructure? What fuckton of money? This piques my curiosity.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

bartkusa posted:

More than 1.8 billion if your read the article.

I'm in the same boat in Seattle. Own .3 acre and don't have a single spot of grass. Just native landscaping. I've been here 6 years and the most I do is clear out ivy, golden archangel, and other invasive bullshit. Never water. Slowly remodeling my house built in 1979 and all the new toilets going in are toto dual flushes. Got a tankless water heater - Basically the city has a ton of rebates for anything you buy that is conservation forward.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 4, 2015

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bartkusa posted:

From the article:

quote:

We relocated our reservoirs underground, in compliance with federal mandates, to keep our drinking water safe from contaminants. And in partnership with King County, we opened Brightwater, a state-of-the-art (and very expensive, at $1.8 billion) sewage-treatment plant.

“The city also invests in watershed restoration — few cities can claim to own the land that their drinking water comes from, as Seattle does in the Cedar River,” Walton told me. “And some taxes are embedded in the water rate, which not all cities have.”

It is a really big deal that Seattle owns the Cedar River Watershed. We used to get our water from Lake Washington and the pressure was very low. Word is that so many houses burned down when the firefighters couldn't get the water to fight the fires, the city was spurred into dramatic action to get Cedar River.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bartkusa posted:

I also remember during the 90s that flow restrictors and whatnot were being handed out and installed everywhere. Also, I know there are still cities in CA that don't even have loving water meters installed, is this a thing here in WA?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

I think you should be able to smoke inside bars, that was such a stupid law to pass

Thing about smoking in bars is that the folks working in the bar would have to breath that poo poo all day, every day.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shifty Nipples posted:

Thing about smoking in bars is that the folks working in the bar would have to breath that poo poo all day, every day.

Agreed. I used to smoke all the time, and I never had any issue with that law. Besides, buildings with interior smoking always end up looking dingy and tawdry, and it's a good excuse to use outside seating.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I thought I read an article awhile ago that talked about how if some bars in a city banned smoking, those bars see a decline in business, but if the city passes an ordinance banning smoking, there's an increase in overall bar business in the city...

Spent a bit trying to find it and couldn't.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I thought I read an article awhile ago that talked about how if some bars in a city banned smoking, those bars see a decline in business, but if the city passes an ordinance banning smoking, there's an increase in overall bar business in the city...

Spent a bit trying to find it and couldn't.

Anecdotally, even fairly faint cigarette smoke tends to give me screaming migraines and nausea if I'm around it for long. I will never go to a bar where smoking is allowed because I literally cannot stomach it. I go to bars regularly in my town, partly because we have an indoor smoking ban and I don't have to worry about it :buddy:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Smoking outside in the rain is just a part of being a smoker in the Pacific Northwest, it builds character.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shifty Nipples posted:

Smoking outside in the rain is just a part of being a smoker in the Pacific Northwest, it builds character.

Agreed

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
So the President's going to be in Portland today and tomorrow, and I guess whenever he's moving somewhere the Secret Service requires Tri-Met to halt the entire light-rail system. Why the hell is this the case?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Because gently caress you, that's why. He doesn't have time to stop for you poors.

I wonder how many millions of dollars in lost labor be causes every time he moves through a big city.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

So the President's going to be in Portland today and tomorrow, and I guess whenever he's moving somewhere the Secret Service requires Tri-Met to halt the entire light-rail system. Why the hell is this the case?

Like the security around the president is insane, with multiple decoys of his monster car, tons of police and secret service support and so on. It basically shuts down almost everything wherever he goes. Like I'm pretty sure they straight up closed the 5 when he was in Seattle.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
People were on I-5 throwing footballs and frisbees.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Like, they close 5 and 405 and block off some of the city routes from the airport to wherever he's going. They don't want us to guess which route he's on and set up our rpgs.

Not like that would stop his tank anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

oxbrain posted:

Not like that would stop his tank anyway.

:patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

• Locked thread