Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

I think the easier way to say all of this is that consoles are loss leaders or at best revenue neutral.

The money is made in licensing deals.

Nah, most of them become profitable in their own right within 2 or 3 years of being out. It's cause they can usually be redesigned cheaper, or simply get better economies of scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

More of a doctor question, I know, but since I can't see her for a few weeks...

For almost a decade now I've had a consistent, bothersome pain in my left knee that comes and goes; typically, here for a day and a half, gone for a month. Feels rather like growing pains used to as a kid, 'cept I'm 30, and somewhat worse in intensity (it interrupts my sleep pretty readily). Is there anything this could be that's more specific than "you got a lovely joint, son"? The fact that it's gone and back like clockwork is the only thing odd about it.

(I'd have asked said doctor about it long before now but its odd timing means I often forget about it by the time an appointment comes up. I should write this poo poo down...)

Also, thanks for the all-nighter advice. Hour one and I'm already quite bored :cry:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 28, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

For almost a decade now I've had a consistent, bothersome pain in my left knee that comes and goes; typically, here for a day and a half, gone for a month. Feels rather like growing pains used to as a kid, 'cept I'm 30, and somewhat worse in intensity (it interrupts my sleep pretty readily). Is there anything this could be that's more specific than "you got a lovely joint, son"? The fact that it's gone and back like clockwork is the only thing odd about it.

(I'd have asked said doctor about it long before now but its odd timing means I often forget about it by the time an appointment comes up. I should write this poo poo down...)

Also, thanks for the all-nighter advice. Hour one and I'm already quite bored :cry:

Is it an ache? Does it respond with sharp pain when you poke around?

My not-a-doctor advice is to take a Tylenol or something, and check out the doctor forum here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

Is it an ache? Does it respond with sharp pain when you poke around?

My not-a-doctor advice is to take a Tylenol or something, and check out the doctor forum here.

I should have specified, yeah it's an ache. Doesn't respond or change intensity due to poking, prodding, stairs or other stresses, it just kind of is. At least until I take some Aleve (or some of the oxycodone I still have from my stomach surgery, now THAT is good stuff :v:)

I forgot we had The Goon Doctor, I'll post there too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I should have specified, yeah it's an ache. Doesn't respond or change intensity due to poking, prodding, stairs or other stresses, it just kind of is. At least until I take some Aleve (or some of the oxycodone I still have from my stomach surgery, now THAT is good stuff :v:)

I forgot we had The Goon Doctor, I'll post there too.

Yeah, they'll know more. Doesn't sound like an injury so that's kind of a bad sign, though!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I need to change the bulb on this light fitting but I can't work out how to remove it. Does anyone know?

I can try to get more pictures if it would help but it's hard to get non-blurry ones between the bad light and the fact that I'm holding my phone above my head to get it close enough. I've tried googling for removing various round light fittings but haven't found anything that resembles it. I'm guessing there's a way to release the little claw bits but I can't see any way to do it.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Ciaphas posted:

I had something like that, and sometimes would get worse when I couldn't move or stretch my legs for long periods like traveling by bus having someone on the other seat. It doesn't hurt anymore and I think what fixed it was exercise since I started going to the gym at least 3 days a week for a while, and every single day the entirety of last year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, they'll know more. Doesn't sound like an injury so that's kind of a bad sign, though!

Honestly it's probably just sorely weakened from carrying my 300+ pounds for over a decade. It's just weird that a) it's only my left knee, never my right, and b) it's so clockwork-like. But I'm not au fait with how joints respond to stresses over time (or in general), so I figured I'd ask while it's ongoing and I actually remember to ask.

Gonna put a note on my next doctor appointment too, I think...

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

I need to change the bulb on this light fitting but I can't work out how to remove it. Does anyone know?

I can try to get more pictures if it would help but it's hard to get non-blurry ones between the bad light and the fact that I'm holding my phone above my head to get it close enough. I've tried googling for removing various round light fittings but haven't found anything that resembles it. I'm guessing there's a way to release the little claw bits but I can't see any way to do it.

You should be able to slide/pull the clips outwards radially. Hold onto the glass from below and try each of them, at least one should give way otherwise they might be rusted/gunked up a bit.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly it's probably just sorely weakened from carrying my 300+ pounds for over a decade. It's just weird that a) it's only my left knee, never my right, and b) it's so clockwork-like. But I'm not au fait with how joints respond to stresses over time (or in general), so I figured I'd ask while it's ongoing and I actually remember to ask.

Gonna put a note on my next doctor appointment too, I think...

Obesity puts you at significant risk of arthritis, so there's that as well.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

You should be able to slide/pull the clips outwards radially. Hold onto the glass from below and try each of them, at least one should give way otherwise they might be rusted/gunked up a bit.

Just tried that and got nothing. They're a little bit wiggly but don't seem to want to actually move, and I don't want to force something and break it. It does look like there are little hinges on the clips but they're stuck pretty fast and I'm not sure if it's because they're gunked up or if there's an extra step to getting them out.

ETA: Here's an attempt at taking a photo of the clip:

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 28, 2015

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I used to have one just like it where I was renting which is why I suggested that, don't have any where I am now though to compare and it could just be the same glass piece with a different mechanism..

Once I actually bothered to go get my ladder out I remember it being pretty straightforward... Good luck.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does matcha have appetite suppressing properties? I drank a cup of pretty think matcha like 4 hours ago and I still feel really full. Google is useless when it comes to anything to do with tea or the health benefits of tea because of how much garbage pseudo science there is about all kinds of tea everywhere you look.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ChairMaster posted:

Does matcha have appetite suppressing properties? I drank a cup of pretty think matcha like 4 hours ago and I still feel really full. Google is useless when it comes to anything to do with tea or the health benefits of tea because of how much garbage pseudo science there is about all kinds of tea everywhere you look.

It can have some mild effect on it but it's quite likely that you're just not hungry today. Unless maybe you had some sort of giant Starbucks green tea latte thing that was 800 kCal or whatever.

some article posted:

Green tea appears to demonstrate the ability to suppress appetite, although a number of mechanisms may be at work. The major appetite suppressant factor lies behind its effect on norepinephrine and dopamine. These two peptide hormones, known as catecholamines, activate the sympathetic nervous system; one of the known effects includes a reduction in the desire for food.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Just tried that and got nothing. They're a little bit wiggly but don't seem to want to actually move, and I don't want to force something and break it. It does look like there are little hinges on the clips but they're stuck pretty fast and I'm not sure if it's because they're gunked up or if there's an extra step to getting them out.

ETA: Here's an attempt at taking a photo of the clip:

It looks like the hooks on the clips should bend/rotate up? It's pretty out of focus.

You tried all 3? If one of them gives then that would be enough to get the cover off.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
re: the light

You have to pull it almost too hard, it'll pop right off.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

It looks like the hooks on the clips should bend/rotate up? It's pretty out of focus.

You tried all 3? If one of them gives then that would be enough to get the cover off.

Yeah, it's hard to get an in-focus picture when I'm holding my phone above my head to get it so I can't really see what it's focusing on. It does look like it should rotate up but none of them budge at all in that direction. They do budge a little bit to the sides but that doesn't seem particularly helpful for getting the glass part out of them.

photomikey posted:

re: the light

You have to pull it almost too hard, it'll pop right off.

The problem is knowing how to pull almost too hard and not actually too hard on a part that's not meant to move.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
In the military, people sometimes use the word suspense to mean deadline. Does anyone know the etymology of that? I'm having trouble making sense of using it that way.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

What's the punchline here? I really can't hear it.

- So where you from?
- Los Angeles

- What do you do?
-???? SOME ENCHANTED EVENING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxdBUQg1bxw

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

axolotl farmer posted:

What's the punchline here? I really can't hear it.

- So where you from?
- Los Angeles

- What do you do?
-???? SOME ENCHANTED EVENING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxdBUQg1bxw

He goes a little fast, but here's the punchline

Cantor goes to the third son
Cantor: *mumble* What's your name?*mumble*
Issac: Issac
Cantor: *mumble*Where are you from?*mumble*
Issac: Los Angeles
Cantor: *mumble*What do you do?*mumble*
Issac: I'm a talent promoter
Cantor: *Singing loudly* Some enchanted evening...

The shy, mumbling, quiet Cantor suddenly breaks into song when the opportunity to show off in front of a talent scout approaches

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Cantor goes to the third son
Cantor: *mumble* What's your name?*mumble*
Issac: Issac
Cantor: *mumble*Where are you from?*mumble*
Issac: Los Angeles
Cantor: *mumble*What do you do?*mumble*

The shy, mumbling, quiet Cantor suddenly breaks into song when the opportunity to show off in front of a talent scout approaches

A little fast? I'm obviously out of touch with my Jewish roots. Or the guy was speaking Hebrew. I guess either way I'm out of touch with my Jewish roots.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

In the military, people sometimes use the word suspense to mean deadline. Does anyone know the etymology of that? I'm having trouble making sense of using it that way.

I didn't hear that at all in the Canadian army, it sounds ridiculous.

Like, "Your suspense for your platoon PT plan is Thursday, Lt."?
Or, "Your suspense to be in position for H-Hour is in three minutes!"?
Or maybe, "I'll be home late because I'm working on a suspense."?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

CzarChasm posted:

Welp, I really couldn't hear that line!

Thanks, pal! :tipshat:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

tuyop posted:

I didn't hear that at all in the Canadian army, it sounds ridiculous.

Like, "Your suspense for your platoon PT plan is Thursday, Lt."?
Or, "Your suspense to be in position for H-Hour is in three minutes!"?
Or maybe, "I'll be home late because I'm working on a suspense."?

It sounds totally ridiculous.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/09/30/magazine/30WestPoint-t.html?ex=1348804800&en=1295ab9b96ef8a15&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&referrer=

"Perhaps it is no coincidence that the Army’s term for a deadline is a “suspense,” sometimes abbreviated simply “S:” and followed by a date. The first time I was told that I had to “meet a suspense,” I didn’t know where to turn"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=suspense
What is the suspense on the completing the operation order?
Your suspense is 06 hundred tomorrow.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I was told it originally came from things on your suspense list were "in suspense" as in they were tasks in progress with the outcome pending.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I want to print this sign up sheet in word but I want to print, say, 50 of them each with the sequential date on it for each day. Can Word do something like that?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

I want to print this sign up sheet in word but I want to print, say, 50 of them each with the sequential date on it for each day. Can Word do something like that?

You want a new date in the header of each page?

This is not an easy thing to do in Word. http://www.gmayor.com/insert_a_date_other_than_today.htm

Instead, try Excel or Google Sheets which give you some more control over what figure displays in a field. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do it in Excel, but you can definitely set up a page to look the same as a word doc.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

KoB posted:

Make a list of the dates in excel and use the mail merge function in word with that list as the source. It will automatically generate as many pages as there are things in your list.

KoB
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Instead, try Excel or Google Sheets which give you some more control over what figure displays in a field. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do it in Excel, but you can definitely set up a page to look the same as a word doc.

EricBauman posted:

Make a list of the dates in excel and use the mail merge function in word with that list as the source. It will automatically generate as many pages as there are things in your list.

Oh yeah, I didnt think about excel and mail merge. Thanks, I can make it work with that.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Stupid question: I'd like to unbookmark threads that have been archived on SA. Normally, I use the star on the top right of the post header, but now that has been replaced with an Archive label.

How can I remove those threads from my bookmarked threads list?

e: nm, just found the yellow '-' button next to the threads

CrushedWill fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CrushedWill posted:

Stupid question: I'd like to unbookmark threads that have been archived on SA. Normally, I use the star on the top right of the post header, but now that has been replaced with an Archive label.

How can I remove those threads from my bookmarked threads list?

Click the star on your Control Panel until it's gray.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
What is the most nutritious nut?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Let me google that for you.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

This website looks sketchy to me, do you have any evidence that these are the most nutritious nuts?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Frykte posted:

This website looks sketchy to me, do you have any evidence that these are the most nutritious nuts?

Jesus, I've heard about full-on dom/sub lifestyle stuff, but that doesn't normally extend to posting everything in sub tags.

Try some of the other google hits for "what is the most nutritious nut"?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm curious what the test result window for nicotine/cotinine is. Google majority tells me that aside from hair, it's up to 4 days after last use, but some sites are saying up to a month or longer even for blood/urine.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

DigitalRaven posted:

Jesus, I've heard about full-on dom/sub lifestyle stuff, but that doesn't normally extend to posting everything in sub tags.

Try some of the other google hits for "what is the most nutritious nut"?

well this IS the SMALL QUESTIONS MEGATHREAD!!!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remembered a cartoon series with shorts that would run for approximately a minute, something like 'The amazing world of Mr Werks' or something.

It would start like so:
"Say, Bobby, do you know how X works?"
"Why sure, Mr Werks! *Detailed description*"
"Wrong, Bobby!"
"Wha-? But I thought-"
"*Convoluted yet humourous false description*"

It would conclude with "We have this thanks to Y, Z and good old American know-how!"

Such false descriptions would be things like 'You tug a tea bag to start a million tiny mowers hidden inside them' and 'Tires move because there are a ton of micro speedboats resting in the water inside them (Which is why you see so many discarded tires with water in) and 'Straws are prehistoric cave creatures that adapted themselves to human use.'

Google isn't helping at all. What's the series called?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 29, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Frykte posted:

well this IS the SMALL QUESTIONS MEGATHREAD!!!

Man, I really hope that was the joke all along and you've just been waiting for someone to ask. Dedication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug

ineptmule posted:

Man, I really hope that was the joke all along and you've just been waiting for someone to ask. Dedication.

Thanks