Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

See this is why you acknowledge and work with your tiers. Justice League Unlimited did this well. So Goku and Vegeta are off fighting Majin Whis or whatever, but oh no! Cell has been reborn and is going to blow up Earth unless Piccolo, 18, and Krillin can stop him! Multiple simultaneous actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

projecthalaxy posted:

See this is why you acknowledge and work with your tiers. Justice League Unlimited did this well. So Goku and Vegeta are off fighting Majin Whis or whatever, but oh no! Cell has been reborn and is going to blow up Earth unless Piccolo, 18, and Krillin can stop him! Multiple simultaneous actions.

I hope there is a episode where a reformed Burter does a mach speed punch to defeat Shen-Cell, the bizarre merger of Cell and Master Shen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

New Leaf posted:

Poor Cell? Poor EVERYONE who isn't a literal God at this point. Krillin being meaningless now is one thing, but even Piccolo doesn't matter anymore, and that makes me really sad. Wish everyone was back on a Saiyan-saga even keel again. Goku and Vegeta just blitzed past everyone in existence so quickly..

I want everyone to be able to pick up God Ki. Krillin, Piccolo, hell even Roshi and Yamcha. Just go completely loving gonzo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean you only need 6 Saiyains for a SSG, let's have the others pool their power and make Super Human a real thing. Piccolo can probably unlock God Ki normally.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I guys, I dropped in to say NEW DRAGONBALL but it looks like you already know. Nice. PS, NEW DRAGONBALL!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've got my fingers crossed for that Krillin/18 tag team with a surprise assist from 17.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 28, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
A new Dragonball series? I think I might cry. Between this and Xenoverse all my pre-teen birthday wishes are coming true.

Prison Warden posted:

I want everyone to be able to pick up God Ki. Krillin, Piccolo, hell even Roshi and Yamcha. Just go completely loving gonzo.

Toriyama definitely seems to be putting effort into giving more screentime to the various Not-Goku's. I wouldn't be surprised if by mid-first season of the new show God ki is passé and every fighter wields the power of deities like it ain't no thang.

Except Gohan. Who he seems to be making a marked effort to railroad.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Part of me mildly hopes that the room of a series, and Toriyama's prior involvement with projects like Dragonball Online and Xenoverse, will incline them to use a wider range of characters in a relevant fashion. In that same line of thought, I'm actually curious if they'll simply stick to the established cast, or if they'll try to introduce new characters for the hero side that will inevitably be hated by the fandom.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

Part of me mildly hopes that the room of a series, and Toriyama's prior involvement with projects like Dragonball Online and Xenoverse, will incline them to use a wider range of characters in a relevant fashion. In that same line of thought, I'm actually curious if they'll simply stick to the established cast, or if they'll try to introduce new characters for the hero side that will inevitably be hated by the fandom.

All jokes aside it's totally possible we'll see Supreme Kai of Time, Towa, and Mira getting involved in some fashion.

I think it'd be hilarious to see a rain of time patrolling knock-offs showing up in the actual show, if only to fight mooks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh god yes this please.

That's one reason I'm hyped for this new movie- the C-listers getting some fight scenes!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rodyle posted:

Oh mighty Porunga, I wish for relevant secondary characters, women fighters, and for Hercule to become strongest in the universe!

:allears: I like all of these wishes.

Rodyle posted:

I've got my fingers crossed for that Krillin/18 tag team with a surprise assist from 17.

That'd be so great. :unsmith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

projecthalaxy posted:

I 'unno man, part of why Bleach is garbage is that every somewhat big conflict involves every single dang character having their own full fight so it's just half a year of everyone getting to shine before Ichigo does the one fight that actually even matters.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Launch still isnt coming back.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I mean you only need 6 Saiyains for a SSG, let's have the others pool their power and make Super Human a real thing. Piccolo can probably unlock God Ki normally.

They've always established that the Nameless Namekian was so powerful that even when Kami and Piccolo fused they still hadn't regained his full power due to Piccolo not being the "original" half that was separated to begin with. They could easily pump Piccolo back up to Goku/Vegeta tier with a simple subplot of him regaining his original strength from before he split into Kami and King Piccolo.

Also, more Nameless Namekian backstory please. I've always loved that Piccolo is actually three different people are are all actually the same person because Namekians are loving weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
suddenly super saiyan god super saiyan's dumb name makes a little more sense

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Esroc posted:

They've always established that the Nameless Namekian was so powerful that even when Kami and Piccolo fused they still hadn't regained his full power due to Piccolo not being the "original" half that was separated to begin with. They could easily pump Piccolo back up to Goku/Vegeta tier with a simple subplot of him regaining his original strength from before he split into Kami and King Piccolo.

Also, more Nameless Namekian backstory please. I've always loved that Piccolo is actually three different people are are all actually the same person because Namekians are loving weird.

Yeah, but don't forget that power is incredibly relative in this series. Raditz was once a threat to the entire planet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rodyle posted:

Oh mighty Porunga, I wish for relevant secondary characters, women fighters, and for Hercule to become strongest in the universe!

I second this wish

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mordaedil posted:

It's not that suspicious, a lot of 90's kids are now adults with responsibilities and nostalgia for things from their youths. It also helps that kids from the 90's have been able able to share their enthusiasm for things nostalgic instead of being shamed away from it like most previous decades.

I know, I just hope what we get is good and not just cynical marketing.

Toriyama being involved gives me hope though.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Yeah, but don't forget that power is incredibly relative in this series. Raditz was once a threat to the entire planet.

Well if Kamiccolo was already strong enough to stand against Imperfect Cell and Android 17, but still wasn't at the same level of power as the Nameless Namekian before the split, it would be a simple thing to just say Kamiccolo only regained like %25~ of his original power and then once he gets it all back he's suddenly God level. I mean, such things are par for course in Dragonball.

I just want Piccolo to be relevant again dammit.

(The "Nameless" Namekian's name was Piccolo, just fyi)

Esroc fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 28, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
A legit, new anime? Post-Buu? Possibly connected to the movies? Possibly having Grunkle Piccolo scenes in it?! YES. :neckbeard:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

All I know is there needs to be a scene where Piccolo uses the old Tri-Form technique and the three bodies are himself, Nail, and Kami.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Esroc posted:

Well if Kamiccolo was already strong enough to stand against Imperfect Cell and Android 17, but still wasn't at the same level of power as the Nameless Namekian before the split, it would be a simple thing to just say Kamiccolo only regained like %25~ of his original power and then once he gets it all back he's suddenly God level. I mean, such things are par for course in Dragonball.

I just want Piccolo to be relevant again dammit.

(The "Nameless" Namekian's name was Piccolo, just fyi)

Where is the Nameless Namekian's power established? I don't even remember him not reaching his peak yet. It almost seemed like by Battle of Gods he had given up trying.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

StrifeHira posted:

A legit, new anime? Post-Buu? Possibly connected to the movies? Possibly having Grunkle Piccolo scenes in it?! YES. :neckbeard:

Next time, on Dragon Ball Special, can Goku substitute for Piccolo to watch over Pan during Gohan and Videl's date night?! Stay tuned next week in: Hercules Dies! The terrible babysitter unleashed!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Next time, on Dragon Ball Special, can Goku substitute for Piccolo to watch over Pan during Gohan and Videl's date night?! Stay tuned next week in: Hercules Dies! The terrible babysitter unleashed!

And now I know why Videl was worried about Piccolo teaching Pan the Makankosappo.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

In a related story, I legit had a customer walk into my shop and ask for a tattoo of the Father-Son Kamehameha scene from the Cell Saga, but with Goku replaced with Piccolo. I am thankful that he didn't immediately turn around and leave when I squee'd like a little girl at the prospect.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I also want Piccolo to become relevant again. Please Toriyama, make Piccolo good again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Well, this is an interesting turn of events. Any idea how long the new series is?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

Yea if they do it like JLU where yea no poo poo Goku and Vegeta and their kids are off fighting the god of eating planets whole or whatever, but that doesn't mean Piccolo can't have a story where he and 18 need to handle some newly revealed Red Ribbon cell project or something. The fans, for the most part, want both of those and when Toriyama is at the helm he seems to understand that.

I'm hype for this, Battle of the Gods gave new life to my Dragon Ball Boner and the new movie looks like it'll only further that, so a show set post-Buu and possibly involving those canons is right up my alley right now. If Gods is any indication it looks like the result of Toriyama peeling out of the DBZ world at full speed was him coming back and going 'hey how about we have the cosmic space fights and high stakes that DBZ uses but have the kinda less grim and more fun tone Dragonball had' and I'm 100% into that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In retrospect it does really seem like Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return and Battle of Gods were just testing the waters to see how new Dragon Ball would do...

Say, we never did get Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return in English, did we...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

A new series is cool. I hope they give the minor characters more screentime.
Ahahahahahahaha

Gammatron 64 posted:

I also want Piccolo to become relevant again. Please Toriyama, make Piccolo good again.
Ohohohohohoho

It's gonna be all Goku all the time and you know it. July is really soon though so we'll see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

It's gonna be all Goku all the time and you know it. .

Why? Which arc of DBZ was All Goku All The Time?

The movies are but the series was like the opposite of All Goku.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well Goku wins all the fights, which the thread is obsessed with for some reason.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Hopefully there's an episode where Goku and Piccolo get their heavy vehicle licenses.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm so glad that Toriyama is returning to his greatest work, first through the recent movies and now with a new anime. It's very easy to sleep on your pile of money and be content that you created something (well, two somethings really) that got a great deal of praise and was enjoyed by millions all over the world. Toriyama has much more to lose here than he has to gain, and I greatly respect him for putting his reputation at risk for our entertainment.

I love that Goku, so I'll enjoy it even if it's basically no better than GT, but I do worry that expectations will be too high. The only anime comeback I can compare it to is the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, and I know those have certainly not been universally well received, particularly movies 2 and 3. There's definitely going to be a lot of people viewing the series through nostalgia colored glasses, myself included.

Oh, and this thread is always super active with just a movie here and there, I can't imagine the posting frenzy that will erupt with weekly DBZ episodes.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Saiyans bad. Side characters good. The end

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Dragon Ball Super, please make Broly canon tia

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Dragon Ball Super, please make Broly canon tia

Broly crash lands on Earth and loses his memory.

Mr. Satan, the great Hercule, finds him and becomes best buds with him.

He, Broly, and Buu all go on adventures together.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

On that note I really wouldn't mind a new Saiyan character not related to Goku or Vegeta. Honestly, a lot of you will groan at this thought, but I'd like to see a new Saiyan show up as a villain. Saiyans have so much potential for power but the strongest ones are always good guys.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Astro Nut posted:

I really hope so too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Esroc posted:

On that note I really wouldn't mind a new Saiyan character not related to Goku or Vegeta. Honestly, a lot of you will groan at this thought, but I'd like to see a new Saiyan show up as a villain. Saiyans have so much potential for power but the strongest ones are always good guys.

Only if the Saiyan teams up with Pilaf unironically. Or it's Onio.

• Locked thread