Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

neonbregna posted:

Any strategy for picking MLM pyramid scheme stocks? A person tried to get me to buy in as a distributor into lfvn (lifevantage) and while I definitely will not be doing it I figure why not make some money off these schmucks. They were a true believer and it was quite funny how far they were indoctrinated into this cult. This would be with money I wouldn't miss being burned in a fire.

PM me your address, DOB, and SSN and we'll send you a free information kit on how to make BIG MONEY helping your friends choose stocks!

My best friend in high school dropped out his first semester of college to make $12.50 an hour at lifevantage and is now some sort of super duper account manager making a shitload more money than any of our friends with degrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arkane posted:

if there is any justice in the world, the FTC will shut down Herbalife's distribution model and the whole sector will crash

There won't be justice in the world. Or, to put it another way, HLF is one of the biggest but it is by no means one of the worst. They'll get some wrist slaps and go on their scammy way.

In other news, I took advantage of this nice pre-earnings run up to write some covered calls against my irrationally large AAPL position. Anyone else doing anything in those shares right now?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It's back!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

It's back!!

Someone should go troll Yahoo Finance with this - maybe just a link so it seems less suspicious. It's like a fake lotto ticket that they already have in their pocket. So much potential.

On MLM: I think participating in an MLM can make financial sense for someone who's somewhat charismatic, has a broad social network, is willing to "trade in" their social capital for money, and is otherwise poorly employed. And a bit unethical or oblivious. As an investment, their structure pretty much dooms them to short lifespans; much shorter than they used to be, as the world is more connected. Maybe you can catch and release on the way up, but I'd rather buy a company with better long term prospects.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 23, 2015

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I wanna hear the thread's take on Google.

As weird as it sounds, out of all of my holdings, I know this company the least.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Hell yes AMZN finally released numbers on AWS. There is absolutely zero real competition in that space, and almost no reason for anyone not to run everything on it. Even if they increased the price by a significant amount. I'm getting scared though as my position in that one stock is getting close to 15% of not just my investment portfolio, but total assets.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Go go MSFT!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

a cop posted:

It's back!!

Please give me more stock tips. Athx was a good buy

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Went for GOOGL calls instead of AMZN. I'm happy with the doubling of the call values and twice as happy to have sold them before the big sell-off started.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

merk posted:

Go go MSFT!

continuing my recent trend of getting out too early :argh:

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Baddog posted:

Hell yes AMZN finally released numbers on AWS. There is absolutely zero real competition in that space, and almost no reason for anyone not to run everything on it. Even if they increased the price by a significant amount. I'm getting scared though as my position in that one stock is getting close to 15% of not just my investment portfolio, but total assets.

I've been there. I was actually much worse and I won't give the percentages because it's horrifying and stupid and I am dumb, but suffice to say it felt really good to sell 75% of my outsized position and not feel the need to compulsively check stock prices throughout the day. I don't think 15% is too bad though depending on your assets, but again, I am dumb, so YMMV.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
gently caress you, Xerox. That is all.

PS. Pilgrim's Pride (PPC). I know you guys like chicken.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Cocrsytal Pharma (COCP) is expected to top 4$ in the coming months. I don't have a bunch of analysis or anything but I got the tip from someone I trust. I'm in with 10k @ $1 and just from yesterday and today it's up to $1.20. I'll probably buy more on Monday if it hovers around that price.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I can't tell who is trolling or not

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I've been in COCP since 54c. Sold half my position (5000) last week. I'd be fine with the rest quadrupling.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

caberham posted:

New thread title

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

Garfu posted:

Cocrsytal Pharma (COCP) is expected to top 4$ in the coming months. I don't have a bunch of analysis or anything but I got the tip from someone I trust. I'm in with 10k @ $1 and just from yesterday and today it's up to $1.20. I'll probably buy more on Monday if it hovers around that price.

just put my life savings into this & I have a baby on the way, thanks goons!!!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Well I didn't want an Apple Watch before, but the ability to buy and sell stocks with $0 commissions on my watch? We truly are living in the future.

http://blog.robinhood.com/

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Pssht, call me when I can do it with my eyes on Google Glass.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
The Stock Trading Megathread: Swipe right to buy, swipe left to short.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Hobologist posted:

gently caress you, Xerox. That is all.

PS. Pilgrim's Pride (PPC). I know you guys like chicken.

PPC has screened well for a while. Excuse me, heading over to Popeyes

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Pssht, call me when I can do it with my eyes on Google Glass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuk5ED5szSA

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?
Was anyone in CLDN? It was on my radar in January, but I never got on board. I'm a bit shocked at an 80% drop in one session. I remember looking at it again a month or so ago and wishing I had gotten in. Glad I totally forgot about that idea!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

HOS just popped back up into my low price warning, anyone know if there was something new to push it down to the pre-run up numbers of the past month or is this simply an over reaction to people taking their profits? Got my afternoon reading lined up I think. Maybe just earnings rumors?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

HOS just popped back up into my low price warning, anyone know if there was something new to push it down to the pre-run up numbers of the past month or is this simply an over reaction to people taking their profits? Got my afternoon reading lined up I think. Maybe just earnings rumors?

Seconding this.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Was also wondering. As I sold at 22 and bought back in at 20... heh

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nephzinho posted:

After GLF's warnings about the Gulf of Mexico, there is definitely a negative vibe in the air about what HOS will have to say in their earnings report (and I believe consensus expectations were revised downward). Certainly not oil prices, which have stabilized and risen somewhat over the past month.

Think this is a worthwhile, comprehensive read for anyone who owns or is interested in the company...MBA students do an analysis of Hornbeck:

http://www.freeman.tulane.edu/burkenroad/pdf/HOS.pdf

They use some rather dour assumptions and come up with a 12-month target of $26.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
There was also a particularly negative note on SDRL a few days ago, predicting further asset write downs in the industry and suggesting that the company might need to get waivers on its debt covenants.

From my disinterested eye it looks like consolidation and scrapping of older ships isn't happening fast enough industry-wide. If oil rises soon it'll bail everyone out but otherwise there's going to be more pain over the next year or two.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Too many times I have lost my profits trying to jump on a pullback prematurely (SSYS, HIMX), waiting this out a few days until I understand what is going on.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
TWTR earnings leaked early via an automated bot on....Twitter. Had to halt the stock then release the earnings.

Guidance is pretty terrible. Awesome for us shorts.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
TWTR down $10. Wow.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great googalie moogalie

Hopefully LinkedIn is next

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I do not understand GPRO at all.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

So it was a good move to buy a shitload of twitter when it dipped right? Easy guaranteed money? Thanks.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

a cop posted:

So it was a good move to buy a shitload of twitter when it dipped right? Easy guaranteed money? Thanks.

Nephzinho posted:

Too many times I have lost my profits trying to jump on a pullback prematurely (SSYS, HIMX), waiting this out a few days until I understand what is going on.
Buy rumor, sell news.

Alkaiser
Mar 17, 2009
Just a reminder that hos is reporting earnings after close on wed if you're looking to sit out

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

a cop posted:

caberham posted:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Noah posted:

I do not understand GPRO at all.

Quoting this for when it goes up 10 percent today

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I thought I was taking a big risk on selling all my BWLD stock a few days ago. Looks like I lucked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Stopped out of AMAVF after cumulative 20% losses. :negative: