Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody operating a Pilatus requiring an ATP, maybe? I know there are a few EAS carriers using PC-12s as their weapon of choice.
Caravans too, I would assume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

azflyboy posted:

From looking through the current ATP Practical Test Standards, it looks like you'd have to do the entire ATP checkride in a single engine airplane, since the FAA doesn't do an "add on" like they do for private and commercial certificates.

I don't think you'd have to take the written again, and unless you've failed the checkride before, you wouldn't need an endorsement from an instructor either.
The ATP PTS I found was dated 2008 and I wasn't sure how the new regs affected it (if at all). Like I said I currently hold an ATP rating and I haven't failed it. The written is my biggest question.

Two Kings posted:

The question is why? What air carrier requires a single engine ATP? If you like to collect ratings though more power to you.

The question is why not? Real reason is that I have an aircraft I can use.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody operating a Pilatus requiring an ATP, maybe? I know there are a few EAS carriers using PC-12s as their weapon of choice.

My current job (that I absolutely LOVE) does not require it but who knows what the future holds.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Two Kings posted:

The question is why? What air carrier requires a single engine ATP? If you like to collect ratings though more power to you.
Bush ops in Caravans?

Edit: Any float charter, air taxi, medflight?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Bush ops in Caravans?

Shouldn't need it for medflight. I had a friend get his ATP SES to fly a Caravan though to lessen the insurance.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

Bush ops in Caravans?

Scheduled float operations is mostly twin otters isn't it?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I more had in mind the Cessna conversion kits, and to be US centric say a hunting or fishing charter in Alaska. Although there's a fleet of 206's that operate scenic and charter flights off of lake union in Seattle. Would you need an ATP to fly those? I assume so since it's for profit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kenmore air even has international scheduled service using single engine sea planes out of Seattle. You must need an ATP for that right?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

You only need an ATP if its a scheduled Part 135, or any Part 121

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
There's an air carrier at the end of the L concourse in ORD that I'm assuming operates under 121 or 135 that flies caravans. I have some time to kill there tomorrow, I may walk down there and see if I can ask one of their pilots.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I prostrate myself before the ghost of Charles Taylor in atonement for having the temerity to write a squawk on a Friday night... in the end I guess the reliability of my localizer indication is not that important in the face of you going home early. So sorry for sprinkling frivolous squawks like that all over the maintenance log while laughing in your face for having to stay at work to do your job while I waltz home from my plush-rear end banker's hours flying feeder freight.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Is there a web service (like FlightAware or whatever) that would let me search for a flight by aircraft position and time? (I.e I give it lat / lon / time, and it gives me back what flight was closest)?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Second day of tailwheel training done, logged 2.6 hours and 11ty landings. Getting to the point I feel like I am actually landing the plane vs. just getting lucky. :toot:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

vessbot posted:

I prostrate myself before the ghost of Charles Taylor in atonement for having the temerity to write a squawk on a Friday night... in the end I guess the reliability of my localizer indication is not that important in the face of you going home early. So sorry for sprinkling frivolous squawks like that all over the maintenance log while laughing in your face for having to stay at work to do your job while I waltz home from my plush-rear end banker's hours flying feeder freight.

Man what a jerk you are! That A&P was right!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Squawk:
Localizer needle off

MX:
Turned on needle

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Last minute road trip to Lakeland for Sun 'N Fun this morning. Report to follow. Possibly terrible pictures.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrYenko posted:

Last minute road trip to Lakeland for Sun 'N Fun this morning. Report to follow. Possibly terrible pictures.

You missed the Breitling Jet Team, which was an interesting addition. Beautiful graceful jet formation flying, sort of a ballet to the Thunderbird's break dancing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fordan posted:

You missed the Breitling Jet Team, which was an interesting addition. Beautiful graceful jet formation flying, sort of a ballet to the Thunderbird's break dancing.

Ya, lots of static displays were leaving as we were getting here, too. Sunday is leaving day. :(

Brighter side: the FSDO guys let us up on the upper deck of their office for the airshow. Working for the man has its perks.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Brighter side: the FSDO guys let us up on the upper deck of their office for the airshow. Working for the man has its perks.

I got to watch an air show at AFW - Fort Worth Alliance Airport from the roof of the control tower once, because of such perks. There's an attic hatch on the ceiling of the control tower cab that gets you access to the roof. Best view at the airport.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
cross post from AI

Heres a random video dump of ones I took this week on a det.

We did a lot of expeditionary refueling which in an of itself is the most boring poo poo ever but it means you get to hang around cool helicopters that don't have big fuel tanks like H-1's. Here's a video of one entering our pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1oJSwHdlR8
Here he is coming in for the pattern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKySpsZRA0
I did a fly over of some podunk raceway in my home town. South Boston Speedway if anyone is interested in seeing how podunk it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqGXeG6ZkGg
Cool thing is my parents got some video from the ground of it. My dads a huge aviation nerd so it was extra awesome for him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYvZDGjIlI
Bonus points, I had some photography marines in the back to snap a bunch of sweet photos.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Ospreys are the tightest poo poo, I live next to quantico and love seeing them doing extremely low passes over my house. Sometimes it looks like I can jump and give the pilot a hi-five.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ya, lots of static displays were leaving as we were getting here, too. Sunday is leaving day. :(

The plus side is that this may have saved me from an impulse purchase consisting of roughly 2/3 of what my house costed. I held off on visiting Paradise City until Sunday around noon and the Evolution Trike folks were too busy packing up and getting ready to fly all the way back to Zephyrhills (15nm from Lakeland) to answer questions about the Revo WSC Trike (like why I'd buy a new aircraft without ADS-B out in 2015).

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

fordan posted:

The plus side is that this may have saved me from an impulse purchase consisting of roughly 2/3 of what my house costed. I held off on visiting Paradise City until Sunday around noon and the Evolution Trike folks were too busy packing up and getting ready to fly all the way back to Zephyrhills (15nm from Lakeland) to answer questions about the Revo WSC Trike (like why I'd buy a new aircraft without ADS-B out in 2015).

The wording of the current ADS-B proposal would exempt ultralights, since it only requires ADS-B in airspace that already requires a transponder, and the FAA is going to exempt aircraft that weren't originally certified with electrical systems, so I'd assume that since ultralights are never certified at all, they're probably exempt as well.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

azflyboy posted:

The wording of the current ADS-B proposal would exempt ultralights, since it only requires ADS-B in airspace that already requires a transponder, and the FAA is going to exempt aircraft that weren't originally certified with electrical systems, so I'd assume that since ultralights are never certified at all, they're probably exempt as well.

To use a motorcycle analogy, the Revo is the Gold Wing of trikes. It isn't even close to meeting the Part 103 ultralight limitations on weight, fuel or speed. It's certified as either a Special Light Sport Aircraft or Experimental Light Sport Aircraft under the LSA consensus process. It does have an electrical system and an optional Mode C transponder.

And being in the northeast, avoiding Mode C veils is pretty challenging, so a transponder (and eventually ADS-B) isn't really optional. And God help me if I wanted to use my secret decoder ring to fly down to College Park in the Washington DC FRZ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

And being in the northeast, avoiding Mode C veils is pretty challenging, so a transponder (and eventually ADS-B) isn't really optional. And God help me if I wanted to use my secret decoder ring to fly down to College Park in the Washington DC FRZ.

They seem to have trouble noticing ultralights in the DC FRZ.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

They seem to have trouble noticing ultralights in the DC FRZ.

Good point. Although I suspect that little incident will speed up the testing and preparation of the aerostats with look-down radar they have at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

fordan posted:

Good point. Although I suspect that little incident will speed up the testing and preparation of the aerostats with look-down radar they have at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

I'm based out of KMTN, that blimp is tethered about 10 miles away, it's almost on top of us. I've spotted it from the ground as far away as BWI

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Could a look down radar really tell apart an ultra light 20 ft above the ground traveling 30-50 mph from a flock of birds or a car? I imagine anyone that could answer would not be allowed to answer it in public but usually the way look downs work is by looking for fast moving stuff against the static terrain. I would think that an ultralight would blend in to the noise.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Could a look down radar really tell apart an ultra light 20 ft above the ground traveling 30-50 mph from a flock of birds or a car? I imagine anyone that could answer would not be allowed to answer it in public but usually the way look downs work is by looking for fast moving stuff against the static terrain. I would think that an ultralight would blend in to the noise.

If its powerful enough, with a good enough computer system, and a competent operator. Sure.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

fordan posted:

Experimental Light Sport Aircraft under the LSA

That puts you into the experimental world and would let you get ADS-B cheaper than the current crop of certified solutions.

Many people facing large bills for new transponders are pretty pissed that experimentals can run the cheaper non-TSO transponders while they have to fork out for certified hardware.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Is it possible the 2020 mandate will be pushed back?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
No idea - But My A&P told me this addon box was the way to go.
http://www.l-3lynx.com/

Personally, I'm interested in the Stratus. But, I have a GARMIN 330 already...Upgrade to Extended Squitter or buy new....... Decisions.

Thinking Garmin 330ES plus Garmin 430W with this lynx thing should cover me ADBS-Out and ADBS-In!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

helno posted:

That puts you into the experimental world and would let you get ADS-B cheaper than the current crop of certified solutions.

Many people facing large bills for new transponders are pretty pissed that experimentals can run the cheaper non-TSO transponders while they have to fork out for certified hardware.

I could never see myself owning anything other than an EAB aircraft, certified planes are just wallet rape.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 28, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I could never see myself owning anything other than an EAB aircraft, certified planes are just wallet rape.

That means you can never fly in IMC, right?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can get an experimental IFR certified.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...-ifr-operations

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

Just can't carry passengers/cargo for compensation.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2015

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
A day in the life...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/passenger-booted-egypt-manchester-flight-armed-9116980

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's funny when tourists misbehave in places like Cuba, Mexico, Egypt, and other vacation destinations where you REALLY don't want to go to jail. Jesus, they must be stupid.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

PT6A posted:

It's funny when tourists misbehave in places like Cuba, Mexico, Egypt, and other vacation destinations where you REALLY don't want to go to jail. Jesus, they must be stupid.

Best bit his wife got off with him and his brother who stayed on told one of the crew he knew that he had all the cash and cards so they got off with nothing... Clever.

And it put us in discretion on a Level 2 Exemption!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

DNova posted:

Just the opposite. You can get incredibly capable avionics that work seamlessly with an autopilot for a fraction of the cost.

Many Experimentals have instrument panels that would make a regional airline pilot jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hjp766 posted:

And it put us in discretion on a Level 2 Exemption!

What's that mean?

• Locked thread