Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What is the trigger for the orthodox holy order to form?

The wiki says they should pop up as soon as Jerusalem and Antioch are held by Orthodox characters but that doesn't seem to be the case for me. This is my second try at reforming Rome and in my last try, which ended horribly in the mid 900s, they showed up as soon as I took Jerusalem. Now I've got almost the entire holy land and I've mended the schism but they're a no show.

Not t that I have as much of a need for them as the Islamic world is a fractured mess and I can get together at least 40k troops but the Jihads can still be pretty brutal and it would still be nice to have a little extra help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
You also have to convert both provinces to orthodox. The order should form shortly afterwards.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Holy gently caress there's nothing on the Vascones. No names, no anything, really. Gascony doesn't really count as they were always ruled by Franks and they're not in the same spot. This makes the Christian debacle look like a simple coding error. :gonk:

Time to make the Basque equivalent of John Doe I guess.

You know what to do.

Gascon = Gaston, right? Right?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

From the svibjod 767 start or w/e I've got Sigurd's martial to 31. I have the kingdom of Sweden only minus the one island I need boats for. What do I do now? I'm currently taking another holy site so I will have 2. I need to hold 3 to reform right?

Also how so I sack?

You don't always have to fight! All you really needed is the Jarldom of Austergautland and the chief of Gotland will accept vassalization, he still will if you gave it away since you are King of Sweden now.

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You know what to do.

No one fights like Vascones!

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 28, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

From the svibjod 767 start or w/e I've got Sigurd's martial to 31. I have the kingdom of Sweden only minus the one island I need boats for. What do I do now? I'm currently taking another holy site so I will have 2. I need to hold 3 to reform right?

Also how so I sack?

Usually that island will accept to swear fealty to you once you form the kingdom (Iceland as well when you have Norway or Scandinavia). And yes, you need 3 sites and 50% MA or all 5 sites. Once you hit 793 and the Viking Age, it can either be relatively easy or literally impossible to take Zeeland, depending on how ol' Karl has fared.

Raiding 101:
1) Raise levies. If you have the tribal organization level for it, raise your vassal levies as well. They'll start hating you while they're on the march, but as soon as you get where you're going, it'll go away. Group them all together and merge them.
2) :siren:VERY IMPORTANT:siren: While they're still in your territory, click the button that looks like an axe crossing a burning torch.
3) If you don't have boats, march them into someone else's territory that neighbors one of your provinces. In your case, I would wait for 793.
4) Park your dudes on someone's lawn and wait. There are two types of looting: Casual looting, where your dudes just take what's not nailed down, and actual sacking, where you smack castles with a bat until candy falls out. When the little axe-torch icon over your dudes is lit up, they're casually looting. Once it turns red, the gold in that province is protected behind fort walls. Just leave them there and they'll seige the place (They were doing that while casually looting, too, so it's not too onerous). Once it's sieged, you'll loot the place and there's a small chance to destroy one of the buildings in the holding or the holding itself if there's four or fewer buildings in it. The gold and prestige will go into your territory if you border the target, or into a boat if there's a boat parked offshore. Run the boat back to one of your harbors to get the cash off it.

Tribes make for horrible looting targets, you get maybe 1 and a half gold if you're lucky. Hence why you should wait for 793, then sail into the Mediterranean and steal the Pope's hat. Cities and temples are much more valuable targets, and much more lightly defended than castles. Target theocracies and republics whenever possible. But you can make some nice dosh and raise the Germanic moral authority into the bargain by cruising the coast of Ireland, crushing their tribal holdings, and looting their churches.

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015

TheBlackRoija posted:

You don't always have to fight! All you really needed is the Jarldom of Austergautland and the chief of Gotland will accept vassalization, he still will if you gave it away since you are King of Sweden now.

No one fights like Vascones!

I'm trying to learn how to not fight. Its just hard since I'm tribal and I get a bit bored waiting for the Viking Age to start. I forgot all about offer to vasselize is there as I'm used to Islamic/ Ireland .

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Holy gently caress there's nothing on the Vascones. No names, no anything, really. Gascony doesn't really count as they were always ruled by Franks and they're not in the same spot. This makes the Christian debacle look like a simple coding error. :gonk:

Time to make the Basque equivalent of John Doe I guess.

Juan Orein?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I might just have to do that. Now I just need to solve the problem of the history files going berserk and now not working out of nowhere. The Byzantine Emperor disappeared and I didn't touch his file or the title history. :psyduck:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of things that can do that. In the case of missing characters, it could be a missing } or " earlier in the file means that everything after it doesn't work.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

I'm trying to learn how to not fight. Its just hard since I'm tribal and I get a bit bored waiting for the Viking Age to start. I forgot all about offer to vasselize is there as I'm used to Islamic/ Ireland .

To be fair most of the time you do, and its really easy to get stuck in conquest mode as a pagan.

However de jure vassals of the same religion and culture as you, and non de jure rulers of the same culture and religion as you that you border and are also two ranks below you will accept vassalization without a fight. (De jure vassals that are the same religion but not the same culture will still accept if you are two ranks above them)

For instance, now that you are King of Sweden any counts in Norway that you have a border with should accept vassalization. Once they are in your realm and your borders have expanded to border new counts they will also accept vassalization, etc. If you formed it quick enough there shouldn't be any dukes yet and by becoming King of Sweden you effectively took control of mainland Norway too.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 28, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Shadeoses posted:

There are a lot of things that can do that. In the case of missing characters, it could be a missing } or " earlier in the file means that everything after it doesn't work.

That's the thing, I can't find anything wrong. The Validator says everything should be fine in that file but nothing. Even deleting my work back to the previous version that worked isn't working. It's like something screwed up somewhere and I don't know where to look.

Welp, I guess this is time to just start making all the characters from scratch. :smithicide:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ignore it and work on other things, it will fix itself.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shadeoses posted:

Juan Orein?

Is Juan even a thing in Basque? You know since the Basque language isn't even remotely related to any of the Spanish languages or any other language for that matter. Of course they're surrounded on all sides by Romance language speaking motherfuckers so it isn't unreasonable for their names to be influenced by those.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I just saw the AI reform the Germanic faith despite the Empire of Scandanavia having gone Catholic.

The REST of the Germanics managed to do it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You know what to do.

New Achievement for 2.4, WC as Gas(t)cone

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Groogy posted:

New Achievement for 2.4, WC as Gas(t)cone

Please call it "No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Gasconne's"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Also how so I sack?
Also, if you haven't taken all of Finland, you should. You don't even have to do it, just declare war, then call in vassals and let them handle it; the finns are too weak to defend themselves, mostly.

Then you can fob that land off to the useless sons, even if they're kids. Sometimes their subjects even kill them for you! Useful.

This also gives you Moral Authority, which you need to reform. Also considerd burning down Ireland; you need to siege down the temples, for which you need at least ~1500 dudes for. Do this a few times before conquering the lot. Fun and profitable!

Just don't do it before you reach 40 holdings, because you also want to Prepare an Invasion of someone.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I have two questions. I'm playing a game as Avaria, so I'm Tengri right now.
I expanded to eat Wallachia, just needed the piety to make the Empire. I also did an invasion of Lombardy and won. (Karlings went Lollard and everyone lost their poo poo. So it was easy pickings.) So I'm basically sitting on Rome just need to take it. But, I want to convert to Orthodox and mend the great schism. So, first, I don't need to be Byzantium to do that, do I? And second, what's an easy way to convert because the only people sending priests to my country are these drat Lollards and Catholics.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Are there any mods that remove the whole tribal thing? Or at least lets you start as feudal in scandinavia? I lose interest every time i start in the charlemagne start up there. Even if I get to feudal, there's so much catchup and mindlessly spending money on upgrading holdings.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mended the great schism and reformed the Roman Empire.

Now I've kinda lost motivation to keep going on this game. Although Franconia and Middle Franconia just exploded into religious wars and 1 province minors after Catholicism got declared heresy and I've been having fun eating them up one by one with the imperial reconquest cassus belli.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Try to top Alexander the Great by actually expanding into India. Rename every other city you take or build after your ruler.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Nuclear War posted:

Are there any mods that remove the whole tribal thing? Or at least lets you start as feudal in scandinavia? I lose interest every time i start in the charlemagne start up there. Even if I get to feudal, there's so much catchup and mindlessly spending money on upgrading holdings.

Use console commands. I don't know why you would want to, because starting as a tribal and successfully converting and surviving is one of the most fun and challenging goals you can set for yourself in this game, but to each his own. I'm in the middle of a Svipjod->Norvic Kingdom (renamed Lithuania, based on the Lithuanian name for the Norse) -> Baltic (renamed Wendish) Empire game where I went from tribal to feudal before 1000 AD, and in my lost Norse Finland save I had converted even earlier than that. You have to upgrade your holdings even if you start with castles so I'm not understanding the complaint there.

The Slavic tribes in southeastern Europe begin the game with castles and feudalism, if you're interested in doing it without cheating. Since you want to play feudal Vikings I'm going to guess that you don't care about the sea raiding (feudal Norse can't, afaik) in which case Slavics are better due to the ridiculous defensive bonuses they get.

Seriously though Slavic defenses can go to heck. Ruthenia managed to reform their faith in my Baltic Empire game, and they are insanely hard to conquer now. I basically have to bring twice the troops I'm facing in order to be sure of the win.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm getting raided by Vikings a heck of a lot while playing the Byzantines, seemingly as often as I get raided when I play other countries that're closer to Scandinavia. Do Vikings only raid the player, or favor raiding the player, or something along those lines? They rarely bring enough troops to successfully siege anything, but hearing the ding-ding-ding sound constantly while I'm trying to fight back two simultaneous jihads is obnoxious.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

I'm getting raided by Vikings a heck of a lot while playing the Byzantines, seemingly as often as I get raided when I play other countries that're closer to Scandinavia. Do Vikings only raid the player, or favor raiding the player, or something along those lines? They rarely bring enough troops to successfully siege anything, but hearing the ding-ding-ding sound constantly while I'm trying to fight back two simultaneous jihads is obnoxious.

I didn't get that many raids as the Byzantines. I think it's just luck/opportunity or relative wealth of provinces that they look at.

They definitely don't only raid the player though. Maybe you're just the easiest target? I know I like to raid the hell out of France but once the countries actually form up and France is more unified it becomes way harder and I move on to someone else.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darth Windu posted:

sea raiding (feudal Norse can't, afaik)
Wait what? When did they change this? I'm never playing CKII again if they removed raiding for feudal norsemen.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't get that many raids as the Byzantines. I think it's just luck/opportunity or relative wealth of provinces that they look at.

They definitely don't only raid the player though. Maybe you're just the easiest target? I know I like to raid the hell out of France but once the countries actually form up and France is more unified it becomes way harder and I move on to someone else.

If it was a matter of strength, I'd figure they'd be going after all the OPMs in the British Isles. I think in terms of potential manpower I'm either #1 or #2, depending on who's in charge of the Abbassids. Ah well, probably just dumb luck like you said.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My current game is me as initially-tribal in Ireland, turning into a Merchant Republic.
The money situation is bonkers - if I'm fighting a war, I'll look up at some point and find I've got 2k gold - but sweet jesus the raiding on my trading posts is an endless parade of poo poo.
I've got enough levies to take care of my Ireland holdings and can nip around parts of the UK quickly enough with boats, but I don't always get messages about my trading posts being under siege, so if I'm not babysitting each one, it can take me 6-12 months to notice I've lost one.

I'm not entirely sure why Trading Posts seem to be the first holding to be sieged - is there some way to mod that?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

If it was a matter of strength, I'd figure they'd be going after all the OPMs in the British Isles. I think in terms of potential manpower I'm either #1 or #2, depending on who's in charge of the Abbassids. Ah well, probably just dumb luck like you said.

Well strength and wealth together maybe. A OPM in Britain is easy to hit but maybe they don't consider it worth it to steal 5 gold from there versus 30 from you or something.

Not sure though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear War posted:

HIP has a setting where you can feudalize all tribals instantly in the customization.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Bort Bortles posted:

Wait what? When did they change this? I'm never playing CKII again if they removed raiding for feudal norsemen.

Maybe not then this is my first time playing Norse and I went catholic so that might be it.

On a related note why do I not have the option to go on pilgrimage? Do I need to be religious focus?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bort Bortles posted:

Only Catholics can no longer raid when they transition from tribal to feudal, don't worry. Feudal Vikings remain the best raiders in the game.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

On a related note why do I not have the option to go on pilgrimage? Do I need to be religious focus?

Yep. It actually takes effort to go on pilgrimage now.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I've narrowed down my problem to it not reading title history files, which I can't figure out why. Everything looks correct, and I haven't touched the problem files prior to this happening. I'm so confused.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Just a heads up that Games Republic is having a sale on CK2 dlc, all the major ones (except Legacy of Rome for some reason) are 75% off.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Damnit, they don't have the Iberian portrait pack.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
It's there, just hidden under "Special Offers". They're missing a couple of the Unit packs and Dynasty Shields Charlemagne though. Way of Life also isn't on sale :(

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Yes... YES! :getin:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Did they remove that thing where reforming Germanic paganism means you can no longer sail through rivers?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

beef express posted:

Just a heads up that Games Republic is having a sale on CK2 dlc, all the major ones (except Legacy of Rome for some reason) are 75% off.

That and today is also their birthday sale, so you can get another 15% taken off the final price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Did they remove that thing where reforming Germanic paganism means you can no longer sail through rivers?

You can still sail through rivers as reformed Norse.

• Locked thread