Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I feel like this might be the right time for a quote from the Doctor

Hunter Thompson posted:

Rules for driving fast

Speedism can be Fatal when mixed with high-speed automobiles & whiskey. It is wrong & I condemn it, but some dingbats will do it anyway... And not All will survive, but so what? For the others, the Living, here are some basic rules.

No. 1 - Make sure yr. car is Functioning on all Mechanical & Electrical levels. Do not go out on any road to drive Fast unless all yr. exterior lights are working perfectly.

There is only failure & jail very soon for anybody who tries to drive fast with one headlight or a broken red taillight. This is automatic, unarguable Probable Cause for a cop to pull you over & check everything in yr. car. You do not want to give them Probable Cause. Check yr. lights, gas gauge, & tire pressure before you drive Anywhere.

No. 2 - Get familiar with the Brake pressures on yr. machine before you drive any faster than 10 mph. A brake drum that locks up the instant you touch the pedal will throw you sideways off the road & put you into a fatal eggbeater, which means you will Go To Trial if it happens. Be very aware of yr. brakes.

No. 3 - Have no small wrecks. If you are going to loop out & hit something, hit it hard. Never mind that old-school Physics bullshit about the Irresistible Force & the Immovable Object. The main rule of the Highway is that Some Objects are More Movable than Others. This occurs, for instance, when a speeding car goes straight through a plywood billboard, but not when one goes through a concrete wall. In most cases, the car going fastest sustains less damage than the slower-moving vehicle.

A Small Wreck is almost always both Costly and Embarrassing. I talked to a man tonight who said he had been demoted from Headwaiter to Salad Boy when he had a small wreck in the restaurant's parking lot and lost all respect from his fellow workers. "They laughed at me & called me an rear end," he said. "I should have hit the fucker at seventy-five, instead of just five," he whined. "It cost me $6,800 anyway. I would have been maitre d' by now if I'd screwed it on & just Mashed the bastard. These turds have made me an outcast."

No. 4 - (This is one of the more Advanced rules, but let's pop it in here while we still have the space.) Avoid, at all costs, the use of Any drug or drink or Hubris or even Boredom that might cause you to Steal a car & crash it into a concrete will just to get the Rush of the airbags exploding on you. This new fad among rich teenagers in L.A. is an extremely Advanced Technique that only pure amateurs should try, and it should never be done Twice. Take my word for it.

No. 5 - The eating schedule should be as follows: Hot fresh spinach, Wellfleet Oysters, and thick slabs of Sourdough garlic toast with salt & black pepper. Eat this two hours before departure, in quantities as needed. The drink should be Grolsch green beer, a dry oaken-flavored white wine & a tall glass full of ice cubes & Royal Salute scotch whiskey, for the supercharge factor.

Strong black coffee should be sipped while eating, with dark chocolate cake soaked in Grand Marnier for dessert. The smoking of oily hashish is optional, and in truth Not Recommended for use before driving at speeds up to 150 mph in residential districts. The smoking of powerful hashish should be saved until after yr. return from the drive, when the nerve-ends are crazy & raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

PT6A posted:

Oh, believe me, I do. I never drive drunk, because it's illegal and stupid, but if I were to try, you better believe I'd be driving (in every other way) within the boundaries of the law.

Funny, that's what all of my drunk driving friends say, after they're done blowing into their interlocks.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:agreed: except the bit about hash, don't put it off

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Why has "your" been abbreviated? :psyduck:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ludicro posted:

Why has "your" been abbreviated? :psyduck:

It's a Jewish thing, it's a shortening of "Yourweh" to show deference to g-d.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ohgodwhat posted:

Funny, that's what all of my drunk driving friends say, after they're done blowing into their interlocks.

I agree they'll probably still get caught due to something a lot more mundane, which is yet another reason why it's retarded to drive drunk, I'm just saying that, if I were to drive drunk, I would be pretty focused on driving legally and safely. I'm not saying this would mean it was actually safe for me to drive drunk (quite the contrary), just that I really wouldn't try to speed excessively or attempt very marginal overtakes.

I mean, you're already doing something quite dangerous by driving drunk, why would you make it even more dangerous (to you, as well as everyone around you) by also driving like an rear end in a top hat?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

I mean, you're already doing something quite dangerous by driving drunk, why would you make it even more dangerous (to you, as well as everyone around you) by also driving like an rear end in a top hat?

Because impaired judgement is a fundamental trait of being drunk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Because impaired judgement is a fundamental trait of being drunk.

I suppose so. I'm something of an expert at being drunk, and I've done some fairly stupid poo poo while drunk, but I've never driven!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

it's retarded to drive drunk . . . I would be pretty focused on driving legally and safely. . . I really wouldn't try to speed excessively or attempt very marginal overtakes.

PT6A posted:

I'm something of an expert at being drunk . . . I've never driven[drunk]!

I guess this means I need to go make a donation to the Alberta Children's Hospital.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The last time I drove drunk I was coming home from a party down the block and managed to spin out on some ice. I'll never do it again, I was inches away from smashing into one of those metal control boxes on the side of the road. Easily one of the stupidest decisions I've made.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Crotch Fruit posted:

I guess this means I need to go make a donation to the Alberta Children's Hospital.

Yeah, I drank every day, usually heavily, for 6 or 7 years, and I still drink 4-5 times per week, but because I've never operated my vehicle intoxicated, I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to being drunk. Makes sense.

I guess I don't know what goes through the heads of people who actually do drive drunk, though. so you're correct there. Just in general, I think if I were going to do a dangerous thing, I probably would take steps to mitigate the dangerousness of what I was doing. For example, if I were speeding significantly, I would be more focused on keeping a good scan going, and I would keep both hands on the wheel as much as possible, than if I were simply driving the speed limit.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Who taught people that it was ok to do this?

What's going on here is that I'm sitting in there waiting on the W->E traffic to pass so that I can turn left onto the Hwy on ramp. The fool to the North is exiting the highway and has a stop sign, and he wants to turn left, so he has to cross the center. As I'm sitting there waiting on traffic so I can make my left turn, he pulls directly in front of me, blocking me so that he can go when traffic is clear. This happens at least 3 times a week at this location. I've started pulling all the way forward to where I basically have to make a near u-turn to make my left, but it 100% blocks them out of doing this. The last lady that did it got so mad at me when she realized she was going to be stuck across the lane, blocking the E->W traffic and raged out like it was MY fault. What the gently caress is this and where did people learn it?

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 28, 2015

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

I don't know, what if in this scenario someone is going too slow in the left lane?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

-S- posted:

What's going on here is that I'm sitting in there waiting on the W->E traffic to pass so that I can turn left onto the Hwy on ramp. The fool to the North is exiting the highway and has a stop sign, and he wants to turn left, so he has to cross the center. As I'm sitting there waiting on traffic so I can make my left turn, he pulls directly in front of me, blocking me so that he can go when traffic is clear. This happens at least 3 times a week at this location. I've started pulling all the way forward to where I basically have to make a near u-turn to make my left, but it 100% blocks them out of doing this. The last lady that did it got so mad at me when she realized she was going to be stuck across the lane, blocking the E->W traffic and raged out like it was MY fault. What the gently caress is this and where did people learn it?

No idea, that's just unacceptable since you completely have right of way. I can say I did that to someone once, but it's at a place where instead of turning left you could only make a u-turn, so if you're sitting there for minutes being a sissy who can't make a u-turn until there's a 20 second gap in the oncoming cars and all I need is one lane to merge into traffic then you can just keep sitting there all day, I'm leaving.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

-S- posted:

:downs: But turning left means you have to turn against two directions of traffic, so they need to be in that median the instant they can get to it.

Depending on how heavy traffic is in that intersection, they should probably rebuild the thing into a proper interchange & avoid poo poo like that.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Doing something about a person you share the road with.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/27/i-gotta-stop-this-guy-before-he-hurts-a-little-kid-civilian-stands-in-street-to-end-motorcycle-chase/

quote:

CHICKASHA, Okla. — A high speed motorcycle chase came to an end when a concerned citizen took matters into his own hands.

It was an intense game of chicken in Chickasha, where a Kansas man named Floyd Briggs came out on top.

The chase began near 8th and Iowa, and ended across the street from Briggs.

Police had pursued a motorcycle for some time, as the driver, Michael Coppedge, weaved through city streets and alleys.

“I said ‘I gotta stop this guy before he hurts a little kid,'” Chickasha resident Floyd Briggs said. “I ain’t no football player either.”

But in a matter of seconds, the man on the run was on his back. Briggs stood in the street, causing Coppedge to swerve around him and lose control of his bike.

“And he laid that bike over about here, and slid all the way to that pickup,” Briggs said. “He got up, run around that fence right there, and I just went after him.”

“I was running out of steam very quick. I’m not very aerodynamic,” Briggs noted.

Briggs managed to chase Coppedge right into the waiting arms of Chickasha Police, ending in his arrest.

Coppedge says the only reason he was running was because he didn’t have a license and/or insurance.

“That’s not a serious thing right there… you get a ticket, slap on the hand, pay your fine, and go fix your problem,” Briggs said.

For neighbors that caught this camo’d cavalier in action, he’s got a message.

“I did use some language that just isn’t how I talk…Some of the words I used, I was pretty worked up. I’m sorry for that,” Briggs said.

An overall happy ending as no one was seriously injured in the chase.

Coppedge was released Monday afternoon, facing charges of eluding a police officer, and leaving the scene of an accident involving damage.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Haifisch posted:

:downs: But turning left means you have to turn against two directions of traffic, so they need to be in that median the instant they can get to it.

Depending on how heavy traffic is in that intersection, they should probably rebuild the thing into a proper interchange & avoid poo poo like that.

It's a hugely busy intersection, and yes, it really is bad interchange design.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

There was a video posted either here or reddit which showed about 6 cars all going into the median to turn left and blocking the guy already there. It was super frustrating to watch.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

ijustam posted:

There was a video posted either here or reddit which showed about 6 cars all going into the median to turn left and blocking the guy already there. It was super frustrating to watch.

It would be a trigger warning for me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ijustam posted:

People are just hilariously selfish dicks when they get into their cars.

There's a section of highway I usually have to deal with on my way home. There are two normal travel lanes in each direction, but the direction I'm usually going in has an additional slow vehicle/acceleration lane since the whole highway is on an incline. There are signs indicating what this lane is for and normal traffic never flows into it. Part of the reason normal traffic never moves in this lane, aside from people understanding basic signage, is that it eventually merges directly into the right lane.

Of course, every single day there are assholes who don't loving get it. Traffic on this section of highway is never particularly bad and at most slows down to around 25-30mph, except for the half mile or so right before that slow lane merges. On any given day, I'll see maybe 10-15 people driving at 60-70mph down this lane while the rest of traffic moves at half their speed. They will inevitably ride the lane until the end (or just continue driving down the shoulder after the lane ends to get one more car ahead) and then force their way into traffic.

Seeing a tiny number of people inconvenience several hundred other people every single day is unbelievably frustrating.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
FYI, while it is kind of annoying, you're supposed to use all the lane. You're not supposed to merge until the merge. To do otherwise dramatically reduces the capacity of the highway and makes it worse.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nm posted:

FYI, while it is kind of annoying, you're supposed to use all the lane. You're not supposed to merge until the merge. To do otherwise dramatically reduces the capacity of the highway and makes it worse.

Oh God, not this again.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nm posted:

The problem is that they shouldn't be in the lane at all, not necessarily that they're waiting to merge (although that creates issues as well). There are piles of "SLOW VEHICLES KEEP RIGHT" and "NO PASSING" signs all along that lane, and about twice a year there will be a cop sitting at the merge flagging down and ticketing anyone blowing by traffic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

Oh God, not this again.

something something zipper tipping plane on a treadmill hitler.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Powershift posted:

something something zipper tipping plane on a treadmill hitler.

.999999999 = 1

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

This was fun coming home from work today. I'm the white car coming from the bottom.

Blue car whips a uturn across both lanes, then cuts back to the left turn lane right in front of me. He then makes that left cutting in front of the red car about to turn right (who of course wasn't using his turn signals). I get to the left turn and the red car continues to just sit there (without blinkers) staring at me. Before I had even left the work parking lot, I saw a girl pulling out of her parking spot already on her phone.

Some days I wish I was as clueless about cars as everyone else so I wouldn't worry about this stuff.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Had the joy of watching someone reverse down an onramp. Right near the local high school after it got out, girl went flying halfway up the ramp, slammed on her brakes and threw her car in reverse. It took almost 5 minutes for her to back down the ramp as traffic was honking and trying to squeeze around her. This is the teenager I share the road with. :suicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I live in a close, which means it goes around in a loop and comes back to the same road. It's barely wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass with cars parked on either side.

Somehow, people are still too loving lazy to drive the extra 300 feet around the loving close, and insist on trying to turn around in the middle of it to leave their parking space.

Using this area as an example, instead of following the green line from A to B like a civilized human being, they do a 8 point turn in the middle of the god drat road saving no time, and getting in the way. When i encounter people doing this now, i get as close as i think i can get to them without them hitting me, and force them to either give up and drive around, or struggle to make their turn. some people are learning. It's really the only aggressive thing i do to others when driving because it's so god drat stupid.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

I live in a close, which means it goes around in a loop and comes back to the same road. It's barely wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass with cars parked on either side.

Somehow, people are still too loving lazy to drive the extra 300 feet around the loving close, and insist on trying to turn around in the middle of it to leave their parking space.

Using this area as an example, instead of following the green line from A to B like a civilized human being, they do a 8 point turn in the middle of the god drat road saving no time, and getting in the way. When i encounter people doing this now, i get as close as i think i can get to them without them hitting me, and force them to either give up and drive around, or struggle to make their turn. some people are learning. It's really the only aggressive thing i do to others when driving because it's so god drat stupid.

https://youtu.be/iLKR9tCiwvA

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Powershift posted:

Read: I am a giant oval office.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Blue is how it should be done.

Red is how every loving retard does it when I am trying to loving leave.

And yeah, there are arrows on the loving pavement.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's basically it, coupled with cars getting stuck in 6 inch deep ruts mid winter and people who can't back their cars up inching towards the soft curb at 1/4 of a mile an hour.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
These are the assholes you share the road with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQIIgxTVJQ

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/04/27/3763418_suv-narrowly-misses-elementary.html?rh=1

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
basically people who go the wrong way down directional parking lots should be executed on sight

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

The bus driver was stopped near 224th Street and 124th Avenue East, with lights flashing and signals up, when the driver of a white SUV passed the bus on the right and almost hit the kids.

Carlson said the SUV apparently skimmed one of the kids’ shoes.

Behead those who illegally pass schoolbuses.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I wish so bad that I could trade a license plate for 3 counts of attempted vehicular manslaughter

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare: I'd be perfectly ok with a vigilante parent (or non-parent) taking that driver out of the gene pool. :wtf:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I swear I'm a magnet for this poo poo.

Yesterday: took a nice drive out to an area with a really narrow, long stretch of 2 lane (lanes going opposite directions) fast roads. I honestly like this drive a lot, but it's a road with a lot of turns with no shoulder (drops on either side) with a speed limit of up to 45 mph. Since there is hardly any traffic when I'm out here, I tend to be a pussy and go a little slower. There are plenty of chances for a pass to be made if someone wants to pass. A lot of broken yellow lines and clear sightlines, so plenty of chances. So yesterday, it's only fitting that I'm driving a long stretch with a Jeep Liberty matching my speed (slightly above the speed limit) like 2-3 seconds off my bumper. Basically, they're tailgating me the entire way. I didn't really have any chances to pull over to let them pass since there is no shoulder so I gently slow to the speed limit and basically give them the go ahead to pass. They back off for a little bit. And then come back up on me. So I drop again. They back off. Come back. I drop again and turn my left turn signal on. I flash it a few times. Nothing. They still ride my rear end. gently caress it, so I see a spot to turn off into. I turn my signal on, slow down, pull off, and almost bottom out in a deep pot hole I didn't see until I was almost in it. loving assholes. I caught up to them like 2 minutes later and saw them park. I seriously thought about stopping and asking them just what the gently caress they were trying to accomplish by being a total dick.

Today:

-I'm going through this intersection at like 25 mph. Just as I start to go through it, this dude in a Mini (red car in the picture) either blows through his stop sign or just pulls out without turning his head. I had about a second to slam on my brakes and lay on the horn or I would have hit him right in the passenger door. He never even looked at me

-I was at a stop sign with my left turn signal on. It was clear so I started to go. The [red] car on the opposite side of the street rolled through their stop sign and tried to make a right turn without a signal at the same time I was making my left. I laid on the horn and they made a "omg sorry" stop. We would have crashed right where the arrows meet.

I like driving. I really do. I just don't like the other people driving.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 29, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I like driving. I really do. I just don't like the other people driving.

First thing that popped to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InterceptorV8 posted:

Blue is how it should be done.

Red is how every loving retard does it when I am trying to loving leave.

And yeah, there are arrows on the loving pavement.

There's a relatively easy way to solve this problem but it seems whoever designed the car park decided that the extra $100 on materials wasn't worth it.