Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

Someone's been reading the Moynihan Report :allears:

Billmon's twitter which is top shelf Imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"Anime is real," President Obama said in a speech before the United Nations Security Council.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

A platform I can get behind.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't think this is something you can declare via Executive Order, Mr. President

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I don't think this is something you can declare via Executive Order, Mr. President

More lawlessness from Obama.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh great, we go from being 'meched by fishmech's fixation on proclaiming suburbs as wholly unrelated to their host cities to actual trains. While a positive change, I feel this is trading one brand of :spergin: for another.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Wrong thread.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 28, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

I don't get the attraction to anime, but I'll take this derail over the others please.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

I don't get the attraction to anime, but I'll take this derail over the others please.
Meant to repost it elsewhere but hey.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FAUXTON posted:

Oh great, we go from being 'meched by fishmech's fixation on proclaiming suburbs as wholly unrelated to their host cities to actual trains. While a positive change, I feel this is trading one brand of :spergin: for another.

gently caress you. I'd love to ride the train into work. The Interstate system loving sucks.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've lived in the cores of several larger cities and I definitely made fun of people who lived in the suburbs but said they were from the city.

Also Honolulu is an interesting one, because by the "pays taxes to the city" metric it has 930k people, but the "city" as defined by that list only has like 380k and stops before you get to the airport. The list one is probably correct, no one who lives in Pearl City or Waimanalo says they live in Honolulu, even though its on the same island, except to people who don't live there and need a bigger city name that they may have heard of.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Boulder people who insist Boulder isn't just an overgrown suburb of Denver make me want to slap them so hard they drop their REI bags.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Phone posted:

gently caress you. I'd love to ride the train into work. The Interstate system loving sucks.

Hey I'd love a train commute too, because nothing makes one see an argument for armageddon like rush hour traffic.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Personal Anecdote: I rode Amtrak from Dallas to San Antonio (~5 hour drive by car, traffic permitting) and it took 12 hours. At several points the train just stopped (not at a station, I assume to give right of way to freight trains).

V The perfect storm is a-brewin' V

karlor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 28, 2015

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

karlor posted:

Personal Anecdote: I rode Amtrak from Dallas to San Antonio (~5 hour drive by car, traffic permitting) and it took 12 hours. At several points the train just stopped (not at a station, I assume to give right of way to freight trains).

To complete the sperg trifecta, yeah I believe Texas in particular has a very overloaded rail system,which would be somewhat alleviated by more pipelines. :getin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I believe that as part of the deal that lets Amtrak use third party railroad tracks they have a lower priority than all other traffic.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

I believe that as part of the deal that lets Amtrak use third party railroad tracks they have a lower priority than all other traffic.

Depends on where they are, but yes for low traffic long distance routes where it never gets going very fast anyway they tend to have lowest priority.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Amergin posted:

Boulder people who insist Boulder isn't just an overgrown suburb of Denver make me want to slap them so hard they drop their REI bags.

It's not at all a suburb in the traditional sense. It has existed for about as long as Denver.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

It depends - near NYC, Amtrak "owns" the lines that are shared with NJ Transit, meaning they prioritize Amtrak. North of the city, Metro North owns the lines, and they make Amtrak trains slow down.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "If you support gay marriage, you will burn in hell! Homosexuality is an abomination!" ~ anonymous protestor at Supreme Court oral arguments today.

Bonus quote of the day, "It was rather refreshing, actually." ~ Antonin Scalia, reacting to the protest.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "If you support gay marriage, you will burn in hell! Homosexuality is an abomination!" ~ anonymous protestor at Supreme Court oral arguments today.

Bonus quote of the day, "It was rather refreshing, actually." ~ Antonin Scalia, reacting to the protest.

I would never call for the death of an elected appointed official, but is there any way we can make Scalia suddenly decide that he wants to retire and move to the Arctic circle, potentially throwing himself to a den of hungry polar bears?

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Scalia probably has gout and other old people problems. I'm sure he's suffering enough, its just his fate is to die working at what he's doing, because he has to protect the Conservative movement for as long as possible.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

On the topic of rail chat, here's an interesting little piece I just found

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Amtrak-has-priority-over-freight-but-5923268.php#photo-7191354

Admittedly this article looks at the issue of freight > passenger from a CA perspective. It likes legally freight trains are supposed to defer to Amtrak trains, but since all the lines and dispatchers are managed by the freight companies, this is not the case. And since there's no system in place to investigate or punish these infractions, there's really nothing to be done about it at the moment.

Picture 3 pretty much says all that needs to be said about the modern state of U.S. rail.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

I knew there was something I meant to look up after lunch, and that was it. The Fox News Radio update I heard just mentioned an outburst by a protestor, but didn't mention which side they favored. Being Fox, I assumed it was an anti-gay person, else they'd have mentioned it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Greatbacon posted:

Picture 3 pretty much says all that needs to be said about the modern state of U.S. rail.

Uh, and what do you think that is? It's seriously not like demanding "local" dispatch helps anything. Centralization of dispatch has been huge for safety and reliability, and emergency nearby controls do still exist for emergency situations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, and what do you think that is? It's seriously not like demanding "local" dispatch helps anything. Centralization of dispatch has been huge for safety and reliability, and emergency nearby controls do still exist for emergency situations.

It isn't the distance that is the problem. The company running the dispatch has a huge conflict of interest and is breaking the law by giving itself priority on the tracks.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I've lived in the cores of several larger cities and I definitely made fun of people who lived in the suburbs but said they were from the city.

Also Honolulu is an interesting one, because by the "pays taxes to the city" metric it has 930k people, but the "city" as defined by that list only has like 380k and stops before you get to the airport. The list one is probably correct, no one who lives in Pearl City or Waimanalo says they live in Honolulu, even though its on the same island, except to people who don't live there and need a bigger city name that they may have heard of.

Iirc, pearl city isn't an incorporated city and is in fact a census designated place within the city and county of honolulu.
The whole island in fact is under the combined city and county jurisdiction.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 28, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stereotype posted:

It isn't the distance that is the problem. The company running the dispatch has a huge conflict of interest and is breaking the law by giving itself priority on the tracks.

Why shouldn't the people who own the tracks be in charge of them? Their giving priority has nothing to do with being omg 2000 miles away. They'd still be violating that if the control station was 20 miles away.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I sincerely dispute that most people who have never been to a city consider themselves inside the city. Perhaps people who are severely uneducated and also never had to tell anyone their address do? Also, why would we not be talking about American law when we're talking Americans, and American cities in the American politics thread? Seriously are you foreign or something, is English a second language for you?

No, people in America really do understand that the city limits judge where the city stops and another place begins, in America, because that's how this country's system of government, society and history regard it. You seem to have a weird hang up about like the platonic ideal of the city but that's really quite irrelevant.

Anaconda may be legally termed a city, but your average person would consider it merely a small town and it'd only be important that you entered it if they had laws that you might be violating.

Again you seem to be just considering metropolitan area = city even though no person really thinks that.

So when people self identify as being from a city it doesn't matter, but when people "consider" what a city is now somehow it matters? And now we can ignore the city limits as defining the city?

So the city limits judge where the city stops except where they don't, and also what people consider being a city doesn't matter except where it does, cool good to know.

Law is a technical topic and technical language is used. Different words are used, words mean different things, and mixing technical discussion into normal discussion is loving stupid and I hate it.

You think weird and are a fairly well known shitposter on an internet forum, like, you post enough to have that reputation. I'm not sure you can speak to how normal people think.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Did you all really think that trains wouldn't be another irritating feather in the pedantry cap of Fish Mesch?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sugar free jazz posted:

So when people self identify as being from a city it doesn't matter, but when people "consider" what a city is now somehow it matters? And now we can ignore the city limits as defining the city?

So the city limits judge where the city stops except where they don't, and also what people consider being a city doesn't matter except where it does, cool good to know.

Law is a technical topic and technical language is used. Different words are used, words mean different things, and mixing technical discussion into normal discussion is loving stupid and I hate it.

You think weird and are a fairly well known shitposter on an internet forum, like, you post enough to have that reputation. I'm not sure you can speak to how normal people think.

Self identity isn't what determines cities, charters and laws do. Also no, where are you getting that from?

You're literally making things up as you go along. City limits are the end-all-be-all of what's actually in the city. They are things that exist.

City is not an overly technical term any more than house is.

The only person thinking weird here is you, the guy who can't seem to read.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
The discussion about trains is good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ron Jeremy posted:

Iirc, pearl city isn't an incorporated city and is in fact a census designated place within the city and county of honolulu.

The entire island of Oahu is the "City and County of Honolulu."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I stealth edited that in just now.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why shouldn't the people who own the tracks be in charge of them? Their giving priority has nothing to do with being omg 2000 miles away. They'd still be violating that if the control station was 20 miles away.

railway network neutrality

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stereotype posted:

At the time, not knowing that made it really difficult for me to figure out what the hell people were talking about when they said "satellite city hall" for vehicle registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
General question about free trade agreements, have any studies been done on the impact of free trade agreements and perceived or actual rates of corruption in participant nations?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

No one here cares about the distance, only that stupid sign does.

As far as priority, it is because the law says otherwise:

“Amtrak has preference over freight transportation in using a rail line, junction, or crossing.”

Personally I agree with the law since oil drums don't care how long they sit on a train, but people certainly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Stereotype posted:

No one here cares about the distance, only that stupid sign does.

And I bet the only reason the sign mentions the location of the dispatcher is so people don't bitch out the station agents who have no say in the matter (and likely created the sign).

• Locked thread