Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

VitalSigns posted:

So essentially what you're setting up is an impossible standard, since no matter how bad the cops are it can never explain a riot because "well if they were so bad why weren't people rioting the week before, huh?"
I wasn't the one who claimed that there was a breaking point as evidenced by what was reported by the DoJ. I found it suspicious that this breaking point just happened to be a news story that reported horrific but outlandish claims of an execution by police. I expressed that suspicion by pointing out that all those previous incidents weren't even even worthy of voting out the bums much less riot worthy themselves. This goes back to people earlier in the thread trying to justify or excuse riots based on previous behavior and not a response to a heightened media frenzy and naked opportunism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

shrike82 posted:

It's pretty cool how restrained the BPD has been with the rioters so far compared to Ferguson especially this afternoon.

That's like saying dry compared to the ocean.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Radish posted:

The police killing an unarmed man in the street is simply fantastical, much like a griffin or some other mythological beast.

Some folks call it a switchblade

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I wasn't the one who claimed that there was a breaking point as evidenced by what was reported by the DoJ. I found it suspicious that this breaking point just happened to be a news story that reported horrific but outlandish claims of an execution by police. I expressed that suspicion by pointing out that all those previous incidents weren't even even worthy of voting out the bums much less riot worthy themselves. This goes back to people earlier in the thread trying to justify or excuse riots based on previous behavior and not a response to a heightened media frenzy and naked opportunism.

Ah, so if the residents of Ferguson, MO truly didn't trust the system, they would have demonstrated it by being more involved in local politics?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Ah, so if the residents of Ferguson, MO truly didn't trust the system, they would have demonstrated it by being more involved in local politics?

They're shooting themselves in the back especially looking at the most recent muni elections.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shrike82 posted:

They're shooting themselves in the back

Well, at least that's what the police report said.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I mean is it really so hard to understand that shooting and killing a teenager could have caused a more violent immediate reaction than the fees and fines? Is it really so hard to understand that a murder in broad daylight might have been the last straw that let all the frustration come out?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FourLeaf posted:

I mean is it really so hard to understand that shooting and killing a teenager could have caused a more violent immediate reaction than the fees and fines? Is it really so hard to understand that a murder in broad daylight might have been the last straw that let all the frustration come out?

It's not, but Waco is very stupid.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

FourLeaf posted:

Oh hmmm a murder you say? Good thing you aren't showing any bias.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Lemming posted:

No, it's way more stupid, he actually thinks that things were fine in Ferguson and the media made them riot, because he is a loving moron.
I can't really blame you when you keep repeating it, it might magically become true just like "hands up don't shoot"

That's one way they could have

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Knifegrab posted:

Killing people is wrong, and judge dredd style justice, while totally rad in film, is still a dick move in the real world.

Judge Dredd(in comics at least) has a higher standard for use of deadly force than modern police.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Zeitgueist posted:

Judge Dredd(in comics at least) has a higher standard for use of deadly force than modern police.

I unironically agree with this.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

FourLeaf posted:

That's kind of my point, I just don't think it was a "last straw" as was being claimed. I think the initial story of how Mike Brown was killed was so beyond the pale it was responsible for setting the riots in motion.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

That's kind of my point, I just don't think it was a "last straw" as was being claimed. I think the initial story of how Mike Brown was killed was so beyond the pale it was responsible for setting the riots in motion.

Then why didn't a video of exactly the same kind of situation in North Charleston trigger a riot? I mean, that one was not only a fantastical story of a situation that was beyond the pale, it was on video!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 28, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yossarian looked at Waco Panty Raid soberly and tried another approach. 'Is the Ferguson PD racist?'

'They sure are,' Waco Panty Raid said.

'Can you stop them?'

'I sure can. But first the people need to start protesting, or how can I justify believing in them'

'That's all they have to do to be believed?'

'That's all. Let them start protesting.'

'And then you can believe them?' Yossarian asked.

'No. Then I can't believe him.'

'You mean there's a catch?'

'Sure there's a catch,' Waco Panty Raid replied. 'Catch-22. Anyone who isn't already protesting doesn't have a serious problem.'

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a problem severe enough to cause protests should never have taken this long to be fixed. The problems were real and should be addressed. All the people had to do was start protesting; and as soon as they did, it proved the problems couldn't be that bad because they hadn't already done it. The people would be justified in protesting, but scammers if they hadn't protested before, but if they were scammers then there's no real problems. If they were protesting they were justified and should be believed, but if they started protesting then it was a sham because the same problems were already there. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

'That's some catch, that Catch-22,' he observed.

'It's the best there is,' Waco Panty Raid agreed.

Yossarian saw it clearly in all its spinning reasonableness. There was an elliptical precision about its perfect pairs of parts that was graceful and shocking, like good modern art, and at times Yossarian wasn't quite sure that he saw it at all, just the way he was never quite sure about good modern art

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

No, you just express "concern" that the DoJ would release a report noting systemic racism all throughout Ferguson, MO, after riots broke out after what appeared pretty clearly to be a kid who didn't need to die getting executed by a cop who got off scot-free. Weirdly enough, every time someone calls you out on being racist, you just sort of walk it back, but you've been posting nearly exclusively in this thread and the Michael Brown thread for, oh, the past six months.

I have no idea why anyone would choose to label a person who pretty much only shows up to be a police apologist in situations where they've killed black men under, at best, suspicious circumstances a racist. Gosh, no. It couldn't be that that makes you show up in this threads, bring up the same talking points time after time, and seeming far more concerned with the actions of those gosh darn thugs (who just happen to be black) than anything that could have lead up to that.

Even when forced to admit that something is wrong, you are loving quick to jump to MAYBE IT'S JUST COINCIDENCE:

Waco Panty Raid posted:

That's the point, to test their discretion. I'm not expecting Ferguson police to be required to issue 29 white jaywalking citations for every 67 black ones, that would be a quota. What I'm more interested in is if they are actually ignoring white jaywalking at a disproportionate rate, and if they are at the very least demand an explanation. A disparate impact indicates that there could be racism at play, but we need to determine whose racism it is and what's really going on. Example: if cops are being predominately assigned to patrol a black area of the town, it really isn't the fault of the cops when they cite a disproportionate number of blacks for crimes, it would be who is assigning them.

Obviously this kind of surveillance isn't practical on a large scale, but that's why I said you make some examples.

Every single time.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Totally ridiculous that that sort of thing would happen, right? These thugs are just getting so... uppity.

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's like saying dry compared to the ocean.

Hey man, savor it. This is pretty much the first thing that shrike's said in here that wasn't intensely inaccurate or deplorable.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Waco Panty Raid posted:

It wasn't any one thing, and it certainly wasn't the media. It was what happened to Mike Brown, what people thought happened, it was the police destroying the memorial, it was the militaristic and aggressive response, it was the years of suffering. There are so very many more factors than the media. You want to reduce it to the media sexing up a story, and that's incredibly small-minded and kind of downright insulting to the people of Ferguson.

No one knows what "caused" it, because there's a wide array of reasons. That was merely a catalyst. It surely wasn't CNN or whatever other garbage tv news showed up after it already began.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Then why didn't a video of exactly the same situation in North Charleston trigger a riot? I mean, that one was not only beyond the pale, it was on video!

Exactly. Both with Ferguson and now with Baltimore, the places where riots erupt seem to be the ones with the most egregious history of police abusing the local black population. If it was just 'media reports about cops shooting unarmed black guy=riot' then why weren't there massive riots after Tamir Rice? John Crawford? Darrien Hunt?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FourLeaf posted:

Exactly. Both with Ferguson and now with Baltimore, the places where riots erupt seem to be the ones with the most egregious history of police abusing the local black population. If it was just 'media reports about cops shooting unarmed black guy=riot' then why weren't there massive riots after Tamir Rice? John Crawford? Darrien Hunt?

Yeah. Comically, South Carolina has a relatively good history of actually prosecuting cops, and in fact the SC cop was charged with murder within 24 hours.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah their SLED setup seems pretty good.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Yossarian looked at Waco Panty Raid soberly and tried another approach. 'Is the Ferguson PD racist?'

'They sure are,' Waco Panty Raid said.

'Can you stop them?'

'I sure can. But first the people need to start protesting, or how can I justify believing in them'

'That's all they have to do to be believed?'

'That's all. Let them start protesting.'

'And then you can believe them?' Yossarian asked.

'No. Then I can't believe him.'

'You mean there's a catch?'

'Sure there's a catch,' Waco Panty Raid replied. 'Catch-22. Anyone who isn't already protesting doesn't have a serious problem.'

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a problem severe enough to cause protests should never have taken this long to be fixed. The problems were real and should be addressed. All the people had to do was start protesting; and as soon as they did, it proved the problems couldn't be that bad because they hadn't already done it. The people would be justified in protesting, but scammers if they hadn't protested before, but if they were scammers then there's no real problems. If they were protesting they were justified and should be believed, but if they started protesting then it was a sham because the same problems were already there. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

'That's some catch, that Catch-22,' he observed.

'It's the best there is,' Waco Panty Raid agreed.

Yossarian saw it clearly in all its spinning reasonableness. There was an elliptical precision about its perfect pairs of parts that was graceful and shocking, like good modern art, and at times Yossarian wasn't quite sure that he saw it at all, just the way he was never quite sure about good modern art

stealing this, thanks

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hmm maybe the answer lies somewhere. in. the. middle?

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2015/04/28/were-all-very-impressed/

(this blog post is terrible)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

stealing this, thanks

Strawmen for everyone!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Well, calls for a "purge" aside.

Seriously though so what? Edit- you people realize I'm not the one trying to assign some purpose higher than opportunistic looting to the riots right? You're kind of making my point for me, I'm pointing out how ridiculous this "riot for awareness" argument is.

So like I said, preemptive violence based on assumptions.

As an aside I love the demands for a statement before an investigation is complete. They know people are going to dissect every word so no wonder they are exercising caution.

Did Brown's death deserve a CNN poo poo flip? Knowing what we know now (after several investigations) seems like the rioting was an overreaction to mistaken or lying witnesses.

If I'm poor as gently caress and might get murdered by police next month too, yeah I'd take a riot as a chance to loot some stuff, taste some of the middle class luxuries before I die.

The rich took the 2008 crash to loot plenty of company resources too, they just used a computer instead of a shopping cart.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Strawmen for everyone!

Beautiful little strawman, but seriously don't do it again.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Then why didn't a video of exactly the same kind of situation in North Charleston trigger a riot? I mean, that one was not only a fantastical story of a situation that was beyond the pale, it was on video!
That is actually a fair point, though they aren't entirely comparable in the initial reactions by the authorities. Populations aren't going to be comparable either but I obviously can't and shouldn't say with absolute certainty if it was a reaction to Brown's death or militarization of police or whatever edit shouldn't be flippant, or the comparative histories of the two populations.

effectual posted:

If I'm poor as gently caress and might get murdered by police next month too, yeah I'd take a riot as a chance to loot some stuff, taste some of the middle class luxuries before I die.

The rich took the 2008 crash to loot plenty of company resources too, they just used a computer instead of a shopping cart.
Yolo man!

Waco Panty Raid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 28, 2015

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Well, at least that's what the police report said.

:master:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Rand Paul's going around blaming the riots on absent fathers, meanwhile, his son got busted recently. Why isn't Rand spending some time with his son, straightening him out?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Obdicut posted:

Rand Paul's going around blaming the riots on absent fathers, meanwhile, his son got busted recently. Why isn't Rand spending some time with his son, straightening him out?

His son is white.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So like what do we do about this...

besides sit on our asses retweeting and arguing in forum?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

OmanyteJackson posted:

Vote for Democrats in elections.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

OmanyteJackson posted:

Honestly the best thing would be to call people out on their stupid attention to the looting as opposed to the police abuse IRL.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Parody Threads posted:

Honestly the best thing would be to call people out on their stupid attention to the looting as opposed to the police abuse IRL.

What does this actually accomplish, and why is it the best thing?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I found it suspicious that this breaking point just happened to be a news story that reported horrific but outlandish claims of an execution by police.

How outlandish was it really when in the months since then it's been captured happening multiple times on video?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

pacmania90 posted:

That worked really well in Ferguson.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pacmania90 posted:

What does this actually accomplish, and why is it the best thing?

Talking with people and trying to get them to understand the underlying issues that caused the protests and riots is useful. Society doesn't change unless people change, and talking to people in your life is a step towards doing that.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

Ahahaha you think that it matters who you vote for in America. That's adorable. You know Baltimore's mayor is a democrat, and Maryland had a democrat governor for the last 8 years? It doesn't matter who you vote for, it makes absolutely no difference.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Because Slager was immediately arrested and charged with murder. The protests aren't simply about officers doing bad things, but that they have the ability to do bad things and get away with it. Slager was immediately set up for punishment, which is what potential protesters want in the first place (though you bet there will be protests if he gets off). Darren Wilson, on the other hand, was put on paid leave and quietly disappeared from the town and not even indicted. Same with Pantaleo, the officer who strangled Eric Garner. The officers who murdered Freddie Grey for the crime of being black and running away were suspended, but not given any charges despite loading a man into their van and unloading him with fatal blunt force trauma injuries that they didn't have to tell anyone where they came from.

Had the officers involved been treated like they criminals they are, there would have been little to no protesting. Instead, the BPD has continued a very long history of brutality and racism by doing the absolute minimum to pacify people.

quote:

If it was just 'media reports about cops shooting unarmed black guy=riot' then why weren't there massive riots after Tamir Rice? John Crawford? Darrien Hunt?

All three of these people had the police report that the victim was armed to justify it, which presented an "It was his own fault" narrative for people to latch on to. Freddie Grey and Walter Scott were both unarmed and Slager was caught on film planting a weapon on Scott. That gives even pro-police people pause.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

pacmania90 posted:

Baltimore hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1963 and three out of the last five mayors have been black.

Obviously support for police abuse is a problem of the political class that transcends race and ideology.

• Locked thread