Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Arquinsiel posted:

You're new here, in the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, right?

They're space vampires who love making beautiful artworks while not caring about sex and occasionally going apeshit at the sheer tragedy of it all and murderin' folk. They are literally a joke about Anne Rice and why she is a lovely author.

ETA: kind of operating on the "takes one to know one" principle, but whatever works :shrug:

I want this to be true but I'm more afraid that the Blood Angels are an attempt to jump on the vampire bandwagon back when that was a thing. Dante seems to confirm this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
And when exactly would you say that this vampire bandwagon was, in your eyes?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

Looking at the Lexicanum it seems like they were first introduced in the mid '90s? That is prime Anne Rice time - the movie Interview with the Vampire came out in '94 and her books were selling like gangbusters for a few years after that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Blood Angels are prominent as Vampires that I can first remember in Codex Imperialis as part of 2nd Edtion, '93.

In fact, went and found the exact quote from it...

Codex Imperialis, 2nd Edition, 1993 posted:

Upon the seed of the Blood Angels there lies the most ancient curse of mutation, a foulness that cannot be seen, which is covered over by the grace, intelligence and high achievements which are the proud boast of this most noble of Chapters. Yet the fire that burns behind the eyes of these sons of Sanguinius is bright with a thirst which only the blood of man can slake. Aye, it would be wise to but whisper the name that comes from time heavy with age and fear, a name which echoes in the march of the Blood Angels, the name of Vampire.

Also back when the Blood Angels were much more interesting, because the whole 'assault over everything archetype only came in with 3rd Edition, where it made them competitive. I'd much rather see them be a more 'general' Chapter with some predilictions and odd units than the straight assault army they turned into.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 27, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, they're on the cover of Codex Imperialis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shockeh posted:

Blood Angels are prominent as Vampires that I can first remember in Codex Imperialis as part of 2nd Edtion, '93.

In fact, went and found the exact quote from it...

Also back when the Blood Angels were much more interesting, because the whole 'assault over everything archetype only came in with 3rd Edition, where it made them competitive. I'd much rather see them be a more 'general' Chapter with some predilictions and odd units than the straight assault army they turned into.
Even in that book they worked best as a regular shooty Marine army with the ability to be better in combat when necessary. 40k as a whole slid massively into assault phase only phase towards the end of 3rd ed though.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Looking at the Lexicanum it seems like they were first introduced in the mid '90s? That is prime Anne Rice time - the movie Interview with the Vampire came out in '94 and her books were selling like gangbusters for a few years after that.

I doubt that there was ever much crossover between the fandoms of 40K and Anne Rice.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You are so wrong - there were tons of under-sexed housewives at my FLGS playing with their bi space vampire armies. So many "Commander Lestat" models on those tables...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Shockeh posted:

Yeah the same could be said for the Dark Angels. They were both infinitely more interesting in Angels of Death than they have been since. And their models have become cluttered with ostentatious gimmick poo poo to reflect the change. It's a shame.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Underworld, true blood...

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I'd say it was a lot earlier than that with the gaming crowd. Vampire: The Masquerade was wildly popular- most people know about the pc games but Aaron Spelling even did a pretty terrible show about it for fox that lasted all of 10 or so episodes. In a city that has maybe four stores total dedicated to gaming, during the 90's there were at least five different larping groups playing V:TM and a couple of them had huge turnouts. Like berzerkermonkey said- there was a big overlap here of people LARPing and doing 40k. It's a lot of speculation on my part but I think V:TM and Rice bringing vampire poo poo squarely into the modern age maybe made the idea of a futuristic army of long-lived supersoldiers that also happen to be vampires not seem so absolutely insane. I do vividly recall a girl I knew that had a small flesh tearers army that she liked to show off because not only were they vampires but they were uncontrollable killing machines that would rip apart anything in front of them and somehow that matched closely with whatever clan she belonged to.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it really can't be understated how ubiquitous the Anne Rice vampires were in the early and mid '90s. There armies of goths, house wives, frustrated high school nerds, etc reading those books ad nauseam - I'm not at all surprised they got deep enough in pop culture that GW tried to dip into that demographic. Those books weren't as big as Game of Thrones or Harry Potter, but for their moment in time they were one of the few games in town that transcended nerdy boundaries.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Like berzerkermonkey said- there was a big overlap here of people LARPing and doing 40k.
I was actually kidding about the housewives. :doh: Personally, in my area, I didn't see a lot of overlap - LARPers stuck with White Wolf, Hams stuck with GW, and never the twain did meet. Vampire stuff was slightly popular, but not like Twilight/Trueblood levels. You had Blade, and that was about it. For the most part, the people into vampires were either very goth or Anne Rice-reading housewives.

Also, if I remember correctly, the BAs being vampy just kind of snuck up though the codex editions. The Black Rage and the Thirst were one in the same - it's only pretty recently that they were split into two different things.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was actually kidding about the housewives. :doh: Personally, in my area, I didn't see a lot of overlap - LARPers stuck with White Wolf, Hams stuck with GW, and never the twain did meet. Vampire stuff was slightly popular, but not like Twilight/Trueblood levels. You had Blade, and that was about it. For the most part, the people into vampires were either very goth or Anne Rice-reading housewives.

Also, if I remember correctly, the BAs being vampy just kind of snuck up though the codex editions. The Black Rage and the Thirst were one in the same - it's only pretty recently that they were split into two different things.
No, it's been there since before their 2nd ed codex, as posted above. The dude who got me into Warhammer was actually in the Cam back in the day, and still heavily involved in various ongoing costume LARP things around the place.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

No, it's been there since before their 2nd ed codex, as posted above. The dude who got me into Warhammer was actually in the Cam back in the day, and still heavily involved in various ongoing costume LARP things around the place.

OK, it's been so long everything just kind of blurs together.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Zephyrine posted:

Yes it really does. Viking space marines are many time more interesting than the ponsmarines of Ultramar.

They are thinly disguised furries, just admit it! Because having genetically engineered super warriors isn't enough for YOU PEOPLE.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Uroboros posted:

They are thinly disguised furries, just admit it! Because having genetically engineered super warriors isn't enough for YOU PEOPLE.

At first I thought the space wolves theme was werewolf marines. Due to them literally having canine genetic material and all the references made to their long teeth and then the wolf men things they sometimes employed in battle. I figured that since there was already a vampire legion then why not?

Plus I used to be a huge fan of the Anita Blake series so werewolves were just icing on the cake for me.

Do we have a time line for when the Space Wolves were being fleshed out story wise? because at the moment it looks like GW were going for werewolf marines and then the twilight series concluded and someone at GW just went "abort! abort! Viking marines!"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
With names like Bjorn and Ragnar they were always vikings.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
We have Were-Vikings, Greekpires and Aboriginal-Knight-Monks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is always basically early to mid 90's stuff. GW hasn't really changed core ideas so much as added wings and occasionally made poo poo dumber.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

At the very least, you can trace both the Blood Angels and the Space Wolves to 1991, as the Angels are in the cover of both Compilation and the Battle Manual, and Leman Russ is in Compilation.

FAKE EDIT: Actually it looks like the Space Wolves stretch back to 1988 at least, thanks to the Book of the Astronomican, but I don't know how detailed they were back then.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sadly, the Space Wolves suffer SO MUCH from their authors. The route Abnett took them in Prospero Burns was exactly what should have been done with them, but then people get away with awful, awful things like their Codex Which is depressingly bad, from a adding to the mythos POV. Think how excellent Lukas (the Loki Analogue) could have been, drawing parallels with a darker, more believable character, or even more low key (pun intended) like Floki from Vikings.

Instead we got this...

quote:

Lukas was only once bested, during an abortive attempt to cripple the flagship of the Dark Eldar Duke Sliscus, wherein one of his two hearts was cut out as a souvenir and he was set adrift in space - an ordeal that only a Space Marine could survive, and only Lukas could laugh about. Lukas later had a Stasis Bomb wired in place of his secondary heart, so that when his primary heart stops beating, he and the one who finally bests him will be frozen in time as a gruesome and eternal monument to his own glory - giving Lukas the last laugh after all.

:wtc:

LabiaBadgerTickler
Feb 12, 2014

by Ralp
I've seen people bitch about ADBs writing crutches but I've never spotted anything. Could someone give me an example?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

I've seen people bitch about ADBs writing crutches but I've never spotted anything. Could someone give me an example?

He overuses cannibalism to get a shock reaction.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Has BL published anything not poo poo in the last year or so?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, it really can't be understated how ubiquitous the Anne Rice vampires were in the early and mid '90s. There armies of goths, house wives, frustrated high school nerds, etc reading those books ad nauseam - I'm not at all surprised they got deep enough in pop culture that GW tried to dip into that demographic. Those books weren't as big as Game of Thrones or Harry Potter, but for their moment in time they were one of the few games in town that transcended nerdy boundaries.

Now that you mention it I do remember reading some of them too, although that was in the early 2000's. I guess I was squarely in the frustrated nerd category.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

ed balls balls man posted:

Has BL published anything not poo poo in the last year or so?

The new Ahriman book is quite good, and I liked Gods of Mars by Graham McNeil. Also the new Space Wolves novels are worth your time if you like that chapter, but I forget if they were published within the last year.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Also go read talon of horus

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Waroduce posted:

Also go read talon of horus
I want to but I don't want to spend $25. Has there been any word on a softback version?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Arbite posted:

He overuses cannibalism to get a shock reaction.

In a universe with unspeakable Lovecraftian horrors from the warp, people get shocked by cannibalism? I never batted an eye.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Its really good tho u should spend it

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
25 bucks for a mass market paperback is to much. Even if its good by BL standards..

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Its really good tho u should spend it

No, he shouldn't.

Greataval posted:

25 bucks for a mass market paperback is to much. Even if its good by BL standards..

No, $25 is too much for an ebook. The hardcover is $18.66 on Amazon - still expensive, but average for a hardcover, no matter who the publisher is. Paperback hasn't been released yet.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Its 25$ for a p sweet book that is like awesome as long as the main character isnt being emo about his magikal waifu girlfriend which happens to be annoying as gently caress but is outweighed by the other cool poo poo that happens and the hardcover looks p sweet

Dont pay it for the ebook tho

Read eye of terror if ur hankering for some ham and don't wanna drop dollas. That book blew me away fukin top shelf quality

Alfredo Pangea
Aug 20, 2007

In Pangea, first you get the head, Then you get the money.

Talon of Horus was great, Whether it is $25 dollars great depends on how much you enjoy fleshing out chaos Backstory and how patient you are.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
It's not worth $25.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It's not worth $25.

It's a hardcover book. What do you think it should cost?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A hardcover e-book.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Sulecrist posted:

It's a hardcover book. What do you think it should cost?

Physically exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I don't really "get" ebooks. If the digital copy costs more than the physical copy, that's pretty dumb.