Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

homullus posted:

I just assumed he was talking about Advisor.

badvisor is the easiest goddamn card for the player making the decision. to make a complaint that it's somehow complex or slow speaks more about the complainer than the card itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

homullus posted:

I just assumed he was talking about Advisor.

Advisor and Envoy are pretty straightfoward, aren't they? Envoy wants to discard the highest-valued treasure card unless there's actions left, and if so (or if using Advisor) it comes down to whether the strongest action card is more effective than the strongest treasure. It shouldn't take more than fifteen seconds of thought to figure either of those out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tribute's a funny card, too, since it goes from potentially amazing in Intrigue-only games to pretty junk in random kingdoms.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

nimby posted:

I always play to 8, because I initially forgot that after the training game to 8, you can play to 10. We still take 2-3 hours.

Next time I'm playing with our massive AP-guy and it looks like it's going to be another game where we get to see him stare at the board for 2 minutes at a time, I'm going to time his rounds. Then if he comments that someone else is taking too long (he does this), I'll just show the timer.

One time in Mage Knight, he managed to take a 17 minute turn. It wasn't exactly timed, but when it gets that long, we can afford to be a few minutes off either way.

Had a friend of mine pull this poo poo on me after a game of Imperial Settlers. He complained that my turns take a long time (in that I take a lot of actions, even if my average turn length is under 30 seconds), when he routinely took 3-5 minutes per action and took almost as many turns as I did.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think the only AP cards in dominion are probably... Scavenger, Secret Chamber, and Library, maybe?

Black Market doesn't count because it shouldn't exist.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

buy more sand timers you dorks

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes, let me wait while you chain together 4 cartographers, a couple cities, etc... all intermixed with each other.

For about six months after it came out, the working title for Dominion in our group was "OH MY GOD HOW ARE YOU NOT DONE YET?"

We're a foul mouthed group though. Phrases uttered during games of 7 wonders:

"Holy loving poo poo, did you really pass me this? Have you even looked at my loving board?"
"How the gently caress did you not take this card? What the poo poo are you doing over there?"
"I swear to god if you don't pass me something useful I'm going to start playing largest army just to make you lose loving points."
"gently caress THESE CARDS AND gently caress YOU BY ASSOCIATION."
"There is no loving universe in which I'm passing you another green card, so just fuckin' get used to that, hm?"

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 28, 2015

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

nimby posted:

Next time I'm playing with our massive AP-guy and it looks like it's going to be another game where we get to see him stare at the board for 2 minutes at a time, I'm going to time his rounds. Then if he comments that someone else is taking too long (he does this), I'll just show the timer.

If someone is AP & says other people take too long, just don't play with that person. There is no game where you absolutely need to have that last player for that is worth that.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Had a friend of mine pull this poo poo on me after a game of Imperial Settlers. He complained that my turns take a long time (in that I take a lot of actions, even if my average turn length is under 30 seconds), when he routinely took 3-5 minutes per action and took almost as many turns as I did.

Yeah, I had friends do that poo poo before but after some colorful demonstration that they too noodle over poo poo for awhile it's sort of died down. One of the cool parts of board games is that holy poo poo I'm in a group of 3-6 people and can talk to them about other poo poo while I wait my turn.

I think another thing that is fun to do when someone is taking too long on their turn is right before they make their decision detail to them what you think they're doing aloud and explain that you're going to crush that plan.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 28, 2015

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Toshimo posted:

I think the only AP cards in dominion are probably... Scavenger, Secret Chamber, and Library, maybe?

Black Market doesn't count because it shouldn't exist.

Forge is mathematically provable to induce AP. Figuring out what to trash is NP Hard.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Poopy Palpy posted:

Forge is mathematically provable to induce AP. Figuring out what to trash is NP Hard.

P = NP

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
P = :P

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Is Evolution any good? 6 player simultaneous play is a good niche to fill, but I'm not super confidant about what I've seen of the game play.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Is Evolution any good? 6 player simultaneous play is a good niche to fill, but I'm not super confidant about what I've seen of the game play.

I thought it was pretty awful, but only played it once and everyone else seemed to have fun.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lord Frisk posted:

buy more sand timers you dorks

if you have an iphone, get Chronology. It's kind of like that DGT cube timer. You can have individual timers per player that accumulate over the course of the game.

People get hella annoyed if you bug them because their typical 1 minute turn keeps turning into a 3 minute turn. But if at the end of the game, you can show that if they played at the same pace as everyone else, you collectively would be able to play twice as many games, then I think you can ease into a "everyone shaming the person intervention style" scenario :tipshat:

e:

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Libertalia is a game with this thing, i haven't played it yet. I think it might be bad with 6 though, 4 seems like it's the sweet spot?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2015

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Libertalia is a game with this thing, i haven't played it yet. I think it might be bad with 6 though, 4 seems like it's the sweet spot?

Libertalia is great, but it really should read 3-5 players instead of 2-6 players. It's too easy to predict with 2 players (especially since treasure maps are near worthless in this mode), and neigh impossible to do so with 6 players.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Got a game night with 6 people coming up. Games available right now are Game of Thrones, Pathfinder card games Skulls & Shackles, Viticulture/Tuscany, and 7 Wonders. I'm really tired of 7 Wonders personally. Half this crew is not seasoned board gamers. Need a recommendation of which games to play and if you have any games otherwise that I could do on Amazon Prime that'll be cool too, as long as they are games that cultivate serious board gamers and make people want to learn better games.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The actions of Viticulture are somewhat intuitive, which makes it seem less like some nerdy McNerdson board game thing, but it's still a solid game. So if you've got non-gamers it could be a good choice.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

Got a game night with 6 people coming up. Games available right now are Game of Thrones, Pathfinder card games Skulls & Shackles, Viticulture/Tuscany, and 7 Wonders. I'm really tired of 7 Wonders personally. Half this crew is not seasoned board gamers. Need a recommendation of which games to play and if you have any games otherwise that I could do on Amazon Prime that'll be cool too, as long as they are games that cultivate serious board gamers and make people want to learn better games.

Pathfinder does not at all cultivate better gamers. It's pretty dull and even the RPG elements are just bigger numbers, as opposed to new tactical and/or strategic choices. Blah. Viticulture is a pretty solid worker placement that is also simple. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but it works for what it does. Agricola is probably pretty comparable, especially if you play it on "Family mode."

Coup and/or The Resistance would also work well with 6 and are good games and are pretty cheap on Amazon.

6 is apparently a really hard number to recommend games for. I would suggest splitting up into 4 and 2 (3 is also a pretty hard number to hit).

Edit: Libertalia is also probably a good choice, since everyone has the same set of cards to pick from.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

signalnoise posted:

7 Wonders has gone catastrophically bad for us in this scenario a few times now. It's not just me teaching either. For being a relatively simple game, it has a high cognitive load in terms of evaluating each card and whether you can actually play it, things like scoring and the third age cards catch people off guard, and most of the decision making is done simultaneously and hidden (which is harder to teach/learn by example)

It's also just not that fun playing with new players in my opinion, since it's not worth bringing to the table if it takes a long time and it's not really that fun to pwn everyone with your little point salad. Especially if you are used to the expansions. New players tend to make the game almost synchronous.

It's also not very social either because of the cognitive load it takes for people to calculate where they are going to get their lumber and clay and poo poo from and how much it is going to cost for every card in their hand at the beginning of age III.

Take this with a grain of salt though because I also don't like Agricola and I might just have an unpopular opinion on 7 Wonders, too.

Give me two simultaneous games of 3p Dominion in this scenario all day e'erday. People get all salty because they want to play with all 6, but once they play 7 Wonders they realized that players 4-6 just become "that stranger on the other side of the table quietly doing arithmetic" anyways. I'm much more willing to bet that we'll have new converts after some Dominion than 7 Wonders as a learner

Otherwise, social games. skull, resistance, coup. King of New York is ok in a thing to play with simultaneously while socializing but doesn't trigger my gamedorphins like dominion or other better games would

I haven't played games like GoT and Eclipse with 6 and some newbs. I have Keyflower but have never had a chance to play it with 6 and newbs, seems like it would be overwhelming

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Anybody get their mitts on Scoville? It looks good but I'd like to get in a game or two/some opinions before I purchase it.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Got a game night with 6 people coming up.

Resistance (or Avalon, to taste) is better with 7 once you're used to it, but is fine with 6 (especially when there's new players).

quote:

Give me two simultaneous games of 3p Dominion in this scenario all day e'erday. People get all salty because they want to play with all 6, but once they play 7 Wonders they realized that players 4-6 just become "that stranger on the other side of the table quietly doing arithmetic" anyways. I'm much more willing to bet that we'll have new converts after some Dominion than 7 Wonders as a learner

Play Team 7 Wonders man (assuming you have an even number); having a partner turns it into a very social game, and if you mix up the experienced/new players you also solve any learning problems as a bonus (though Teams is a tiny bit more complicated in some ways).

Also, it's just a way better game with teams. (That's not to say don't play Dominion, that's obviously a good idea too... just throwing out an idea if you do want to do 7 Wonders).

quote:

Agricola only plays 5

Does anyone regularly play Agricola with 5? It seems like it could/would be a terrible slog. And imagine if a new player falls behind on family size... OK, I'm done my 2 actions; now I get to sit on my hands for (very possibly) 10 turns. (At maximum - if you were at beginning of the turn order and everyone else had 5 actions, and player 2 took start player, you would be waiting through 20 player turns between your turns - obviously that's not likely, but GEEZ).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 28, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

signalnoise posted:

Make it a night to remember, Twilight Imperium 3 or six-player Caverna.

GrandpaPants posted:

Agricola is probably pretty comparable, especially if you play it on "Family mode."

Agricola only plays 5 :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rutibex posted:

Agricola only plays 5 :(

Turn it into a scarcity scenario.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So Copper Country actually got released. Has anyone heard anything about it or, better yet, played it?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jmzero posted:

Play Team 7 Wonders man (assuming you have an even number); having a partner turns it into a very social game, and if you mix up the experienced/new players you also solve any learning problems as a bonus (though Teams is a tiny bit more complicated in some ways).

Also, it's just a way better game with teams. (That's not to say don't play Dominion, that's obviously a good idea too... just throwing out an idea if you do want to do 7 Wonders).

I keep forgetting this exists, I should do that next time. I ironically also am looking for more team games in general. I had a bunch of fun recently playing Tichu in a cabin. Cheering on your teammate when they call Tichu or when they save your rear end with a bombdog or something is pretty fun; i need more board games with cheering teammates in my life

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
If anyone is keen, there's a Ticket to Ride Championship about to kick off. Sign-up now for some CHOO CHOO action!

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bellmaker posted:

Anybody get their mitts on Scoville? It looks good but I'd like to get in a game or two/some opinions before I purchase it.

I've got it and really enjoy it as a medium-weight strategy game. I wrote up some words about it a few months back, let me dig them up,

Merauder posted:

So I've had a chance to get in a couple games of Scoville since I picked it up earlier this week and have really enjoyed it, and figure I'd do a run down of the game.

Each player plays a pepper farmer in the town of Scoville, with the objective of having the most points by means of selling batches of peppers at the farmer's market, completing chili recipes with the peppers you harvest, and planting rare and exotic peppers in the field. The components are seriously top notch, especially since this was a Kickstarter game. Dozens of different colored wooden peppers for planting and using, and even some clear acrylic ones (the valuable Phantom Pepper) make up the majority of what you'll be playing with, but also includes wooden farmer pawns, and various cardboard bits that are thick and sturdy. Image here for component examples.

The game starts with a couple randomly selected peppers in the center of the field. Turn order is randomly established (after which it is bid for every round with money earned from selling batches), followed by players picking up 1 or 2 new peppers, in turn order, for their supply at the local auction (randomly dealt cards with different colors and quantities of peppers). Next each player plants one pepper adjacent to another pepper in the field, also in turn order. Once everyone has planted their pepper, the real interesting mechanic of the game occurs in Harvesting. In reverse turn order players move their farmer through the field and each time they step between two adjacent peppers, they crossbreed them into a different color of pepper for their supply (or in the case of breeding two of the same color together, netting 2x of that color). Image here of the crossbreeding chart. Players aren't allowed to move through other farmers and can move from 1 to 3 spaces only, so there's a lot of strategy in deciding if you want to move to a certain plot to block another players from harvesting a certain color of pepper, or going your own way instead. After all players have harvested, there's a Fulfillment phase where players (returning to standard turn order) can 1. sell batches of peppers, 2. complete recipes, and 3. fill requests at the Market, all using the peppers you have harvested.

Because the three main phases of the game are done in forward-backward-forward order, there's some interesting dynamics present when players bid for turn order at the beginning of each round; do you want to plant first to get certain bonus points, or do you want to be able to harvest first to beat other players to a particular plot that's available? Or do you want to be able to cash out peppers first during fulfillment and beat others to the race of completing a valuable chili recipe?

The two games I've played thus far were 4-player and 2-player. The 4 player game was really interesting and we were all fairly engaged still at the end, as everyone has screens with which to hide your scoring/money/peppers behind, so it's tough to keep up with who may or may not be winning. In the end it was very close with two players tying for most points, and the others not far behind. The field of planted peppers was all over the place with different colors and options, almost to a fault if you are playing with AP prone people. The early turns move real fast when there's not many plots to harvest from, but it quickly gets much more complex as the game progresses. The same was true in the 2-player game I played, where we initially thought it was going to be a fairly shallow experience but a little ways in it got a lot more strategic and we were really thinking through our turns and what the best way to cut off the other player's supply was. That said it's not so complex that it will turn away casual gamers either. I'd put it somewhere in the middle, as a light-to-mid-weight strategy game that I think a wide breadth of personalities will be able to enjoy. The game supports up to 6 players which is really nice for slightly larger groups as well, and I'm looking forward to trying it with a full crowd.

tl;dr: Light-to-mid weight strategy game with a fun theme, and awesome components. Early turns can be a little brainless, but it gets more and more complex as the game progresses. Definitely recommend!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

So Copper Country actually got released. Has anyone heard anything about it or, better yet, played it?

I've got a copy and read through the rules, but unfortunately haven't gotten it to the table yet. It looks really solid, but I don't have anything tangible to offer other than "it looks pretty" and "the components are loving gorgeous"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rutibex posted:

Make it a night to remember, Twilight Imperium 3

A night to remember, not a week to remember.

I played Evolution with six tonight. First game for everyone, we killed it in just over an hour including teaching. Nice game, we liked it.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Anyone who has six willing players and Game of Thrones in their collection shouldn't really need any further advice. There are some fiddly rules, but it's all pretty intuitive and everyone I've played with gets the hang of it pretty quickly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Merauder posted:

I've got it and really enjoy it as a medium-weight strategy game. I wrote up some words about it a few months back, let me dig them up,

How does Scoville play do you think if you get rid of the screens (I murder AP people so that's not a problem).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Lorini posted:

How does Scoville play do you think if you get rid of the screens (I murder AP people so that's not a problem).

I don't think it would be a deal breaker in my experience. Most of the time people have a decent enough pulse on 1. which scoring items players have acquired (many of which can just be turned face down anyway), and 2. which peppers people have at their disposal for fulfilling recipes. It might make things a little more direct, where you are explicitly wanting to buy a certain recipe before another player instead of the approximating what people are going for, or the inadvertent "aw I was going to get that one!" moments that occur. Aside from that, the blind biding would be a different beast when you know how much each player has to work with, but I don't think it would change it in an inherently bad way, just different. Would be more like GoT bidding, where everyone knows what everyone has before the bid happens, and that seems to work well for that game, can't see why it would be an issue here.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Just taught my first game of Le Havre and it went well, I think. Everyone said they liked it at least. 4 people standard mode, took around 3 hours, the other three had not seen the game before. I didn't feel like it was that long but I also wasn't hungry or otherwise distracted so I dunno.

Re: 6 player games, Power Grid, Eclipse, Dominant Species? If you have Game of Thrones you should probably just play that, though. That'll take up most of your time.

jmzero posted:

Does anyone regularly play Agricola with 5? It seems like it could/would be a terrible slog. And imagine if a new player falls behind on family size... OK, I'm done my 2 actions; now I get to sit on my hands for (very possibly) 10 turns. (At maximum - if you were at beginning of the turn order and everyone else had 5 actions, and player 2 took start player, you would be waiting through 20 player turns between your turns - obviously that's not likely, but GEEZ).

I play 5 player Agricola weekly. If you don't play with at least 4 you don't get the best cards. Also it is more people to crush.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So my copy of Argent: The Consortium arrived today. I looked over the rulebook and the FAQ / errata posted earlier in the thread, but I have a question: when a spell / treasure is used as a reaction, is it still tapped? Also, any general tips or such for my group's first game?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CodfishCartographer posted:

So my copy of Argent: The Consortium arrived today. I looked over the rulebook and the FAQ / errata posted earlier in the thread, but I have a question: when a spell / treasure is used as a reaction, is it still tapped? Also, any general tips or such for my group's first game?

Yep. I'd suggest using the recommended layout for your first game, as well as the diversity variant (start with one mage of each color instead of drafting). That way, everyone has some experience with each mage type and knows what they want to draft next time you play.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yes it is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bought a dent & ding copy of Caverna from Coolstuffinc for $60. Only damage is the corner of the box, all components are mint and sealed. gently caress yeah Dwarf Agricola.

How's the solo play in it? I want to have a good grasp before taking it to game night.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 29, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the consensus opinion on Orleans, for those of you who have been able to play it? I kick started and forgot about it until I saw the recent email. How excited or disappointed should I be? I just hope that if its bad I can sell it for a good price with the KS exclusive stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Bought a dent & ding copy of Caverna from Coolstuffinc for $60. Only damage is the corner of the box, all components are mint and sealed. gently caress yeah Dwarf Agricola.

How's the solo play in it? I want to have a good grasp before taking it to game night.

There are no random cards in Caverna. Solo play in Caverna is 100% deterministic, the round spaces don't even come out in different order by the official rules of Solo. This means that every game is exactly the same, and once you figure out a decent strategy you don't need to play it solo ever again.