Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pacmania90 posted:

Vote for Democrats in elections.

Ha. Good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't see why arguing on a forum is a bad course of action when all of us paid money to participate in a forum where people argue. If you live on the 1% of the Earth's surface within a few hours drive of Baltimore though you could go down and participate in the protest.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Baltimore hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1963 and three out of the last five mayors have been black.

Obviously support for police abuse is a problem of the political class that transcends race and ideology.

literally--literally--watch The Wire, folks.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
ahahahahaha

quote:

I was at a stoplight in front of Frederick Douglass High School and directly across from Mondawmin Mall. It was exactly 3 p.m. The mall was on lockdown. There were police helicopters flying overhead. The riot police were already at the bus stop on the other side of the mall, turning buses that transport the students away, not allowing students to board.They were waiting for the kids. As I sat at the intersection of Gwynns Falls, I saw several police cars arriving at the scene. I saw the armored police vehicle arrive. Those kids were set up, they were treated like criminals before the first brick was thrown.

Bear these facts in mind too, every day hundreds of kids leave Frederick Douglass and walk across the street and through the mall to catch the buses on the far side of the mall. Their school releases at about 2:25.

I just wish people could recognize how insane this would be if their kids were released from school to buzzing police helicopters, police in riot gear, and their child being prevented from taking transportation home. It would be a national outrage.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

literally--literally--watch The Wire, folks.

This. pretty sure Brother Mouzone showed up on the streams yesterday at some point. He was very calm.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Because Slager was immediately arrested and charged with murder. The protests aren't simply about officers doing bad things, but that they have the ability to do bad things and get away with it. Slager was immediately set up for punishment, which is what potential protesters want in the first place (though you bet there will be protests if he gets off). Darren Wilson, on the other hand, was put on paid leave and quietly disappeared from the town and not even indicted. Same with Pantaleo, the officer who strangled Eric Garner. The officers who murdered Freddie Grey for the crime of being black and running away were suspended, but not given any charges despite loading a man into their van and unloading him with fatal blunt force trauma injuries that they didn't have to tell anyone where they came from.

Had the officers involved been treated like they criminals they are, there would have been little to no protesting. Instead, the BPD has continued a very long history of brutality and racism by doing the absolute minimum to pacify people.

All three of these people had the police report that the victim was armed to justify it, which presented an "It was his own fault" narrative for people to latch on to. Freddie Grey and Walter Scott were both unarmed and Slager was caught on film planting a weapon on Scott. That gives even pro-police people pause.

Are we even disagreeing here? Both those posts were a response to Waco Panty Raid saying media exaggeration of Michael Brown's death was what caused the Ferguson riots.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I don't see why arguing on a forum is a bad course of action when all of us paid money to participate in a forum where people argue. If you live on the 1% of the Earth's surface within a few hours drive of Baltimore though you could go down and participate in the protest.

I get that. Im not asking for people to stop arguing, I'm loving tired of people preaching the same 0 calorie bullshit, My feed is loving drowning in 5th grader level sociology bullshit and poetry about privilege and poo poo.

It's 2015, Everyone knows it's always sucked to be black. In this city. In the country. Around the world. So can we move on to talking about how to fix these systemic problems so we don't have to repeat this next month?

Can we talk about body cams? Requiring officers to live in the communities they police? De-escalation training for officers?maybe some community outreach programs, like getting officers taking at risk kids on ride alongs?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The media exaggerated so much that it rippled back in time and caused the first protests to happen the night of the murder after the cops destroyed the memorial to the murdered man that the mourners had set up.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

The purse looks like the woman's, but several people were tweeting that she had been going around antagonizing protestors all day and some of the shots look a bit staged and intended to imply things that didn't happen. The "man throws chair" -> "broken window with chair in front" set that went up of her, for example, where a third shot of the scene indicate the window was already broken is a good example. The purse does appear to be hers, since people seem confused about that (she's carrying it in the other pictures), but the post I saw said she was trying to take the man's bag, not that he was trying to take her purse, but I can't find the tweet again now and for obvious reasons there's questions about reliability.

http://en.reddit.com/r/baltimore/comments/345iie/redhead_from_the_videos_here_to_clear_something_up/ Redheaded purse lady is on Reddit now, and contemplating going after the journalists that are claiming she was stealing that guy's bag. I don't know if there's any truth to her supposedly starting poo poo with other people elsewhere during the protest, but he is definitely trying to take her purse. http://www.gfycat.com/JadedWigglyFly

VVVV high-five, dude who spent more effort typing than me.

RaspberrySea fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 28, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I was catching up on posts I hadn't read yet and noticed this exchange from about a dozen pages ago:

shrike82 posted:

Baltimore "protestor" holds a bottle of vodka, a bag, and is stealing a woman's purse

nm posted:

Welcome to a page or two ago.
Photo doesn't quite show what you say.

Lemming posted:

The bag is the black man's, sorry about your racism.

Gropiemon posted:

Don't worry lil buddy there's plenty of pictures that will fit into your world view you just have to keep looking!

Lemming posted:

You think that if someone is trying to steal something from you you should just let them take it?

nm posted:

If that person taking is white and you're black, that's like the bedrock of race relations in thr us.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Do you have a source on this? I mean, I believe it, but having the evidence to throw in racists' faces for a slam dunk would just make my day.

nm posted:

Page or three back.

Armani posted:

{cited some dubiously sourced tweets}

Lady in question posts on Reddit.

Video of the snatching incident
Factchecker Brandon Soderberg interacting with the woman

When groups like the City Paper pull reality-reshaping stuff like this it ends up seriously harming their cause when it gets found out and called out. There's already plenty of evidence on their side -- getting caught in lies trying to create more ammunition just ends up backfiring and giving right-wingers another victory to crow over.

I've been reading the reactions on Reddit, and I've noticed that there's a tendency for the left to just wave away people by explaining "They would have been racist anyway. They're not worth our time trying to reach out to." If that's true, why have groups like Stormfront been aggressively trying to recruit this (ostensibly, so far) neutral and somewhat apolitical audience?

edit: How the hell does someone post the exact same thing while I'm typing this up?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

OmanyteJackson posted:

Ha. Good one.

Vote... for Republicans???

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Whelp yeah, looks like that dude was trying to yank a purse. Oh well, guess that bit of racism is okay.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Yeah I was wrong, that picture is just fine for reinforcing racist opinions.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm coming to all this pretty late, so forgive me if I'm a little ignorant on the specifics,

Are you saying there were crimes committed during a riot?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It seems to me that the problem isn't so much that a crime was committed, but that a group of journalists saw the crime being committed and told people that the opposite happened and wrote articles about it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

OmanyteJackson posted:

It's 2015, Everyone knows it's always sucked to be black. In this city. In the country. Around the world. So can we move on to talking about how to fix these systemic problems so we don't have to repeat this next month?

Can we talk about body cams? Requiring officers to live in the communities they police? De-escalation training for officers?maybe some community outreach programs, like getting officers taking at risk kids on ride alongs?

None of that poo poo will ever happen, so it's about equally as pointless talking about it as saying "vote democrat"

(I mean bodycams ok maybe, but as we have seen with Eric Garner, video doesn't matter when the grand jury always declines to indict)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Brannock posted:

It seems to me that the problem isn't so much that a crime was committed, but that a group of journalists saw the crime being committed and told people that the opposite happened and wrote articles about it.

Right, that's actually pretty bad. It's hard enough to get real stories out of this. It's just unfortunate because things like that undermine the carefully planned and orchestrated goals that this riot obviously had.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

FourLeaf posted:

None of that poo poo will ever happen, so it's about equally as pointless talking about it as saying "vote democrat"

To be fair body cameras has traction on both sides of the aisle.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It sucks that that guy tried to steal her bag, and it sucks that it seems people were either lying or acting like they were more sure about what they think they saw than they should have been. It's good that there was a video to clear it up. I was wrong about what happened.

It sucks more that people use cases like that as an excuse to dismiss the protests.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Let Stormfront recruit what possibly could go wrong? The vast majority of people being stormfronters? That doesn't hurt our cause that helps it. Racism doesn't stop minority protests and discrimnation and being visible it expands it.

People will suffer but it will be for a good cause. Some must suffer before a true solution is reached. I wish this was a fairy tale world where progress could be achieved peacefully with mutual understanding, but everyday on this planet makes it more clear that that is not possible.

So they will kill us. Beat us. Enslave us. Rape us. Leave us for dead. Hate us.

But at the end we will win. Because we stand for something more than mere lofe or death. We stand for more than color of skin. We stand for more than a nation or a people.

We stand for an idea. A belief that can never be killed. A burning fire that can never be drenched.

We stand for equality. And we stand for truth. We stand for justice. And above all things we stand for love.

So they can shake us down or put us in the ground. Taunt and tease and mislead us. But beyond death our souls ever yearning shall remain embedded in a place far beyond the grave. We are not gone but remain. Will Not be killed but stand plain and unafraid.

They can kill all 20 million men, children, and women and we'll still be there. No amount of police or angry white men can strike in our hearts fear.

And if the end of days draws near we will not dissapear but stand free of fear, for judgement shall come to all and all are here.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's about ethics in riot journalism

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's about ethics in riot journalism

Liebeleral Slipstream Media!

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

PerpetualSelf posted:

Let Stormfront recruit what possibly could go wrong? The vast majority of people being stormfronters? That doesn't hurt our cause that helps it. Racism doesn't stop minority protests and discrimnation and being visible it expands it.

People will suffer but it will be for a good cause. Some must suffer before a true solution is reached. I wish this was a fairy tale world where progress could be achieved peacefully with mutual understanding, but everyday on this planet makes it more clear that that is not possible.

So they will kill us. Beat us. Enslave us. Rape us. Leave us for dead. Hate us.

But at the end we will win. Because we stand for something more than mere lofe or death. We stand for more than color of skin. We stand for more than a nation or a people.

We stand for an idea. A belief that can never be killed. A burning fire that can never be drenched.

We stand for equality. And we stand for truth. We stand for justice. And above all things we stand for love.

So they can shake us down or put us in the ground. Taunt and tease and mislead us. But beyond death our souls ever yearning shall remain embedded in a place far beyond the grave. We are not gone but remain. Will Not be killed but stand plain and unafraid.

They can kill all 20 million men, children, and women and we'll still be there. No amount of police or angry white men can strike in our hearts fear.

And if the end of days draws near we will not dissapear but stand free of fear, for judgement shall come to all and all are here.

lmao

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
oh good, as if debating the ethics of burning down a cvs wasn't dumb enough now we've got reddit internet detectiving people just to finally put a pin in PurseGate 2015

quote:

Edit: They are now blocking users trying to call them out and deleting tweets.

gee whiz how suspicious, who would ever try to avoid answering hard questions from an internet lynch mob

VVV i know right, Did you see how black big that guy was?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 28, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
It's hilarious that people actually thought it was something other than a purse-snatching

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

pacmania90 posted:

What does this actually accomplish, and why is it the best thing?

becasue lol if you go down there to be a riot-tourist, but god drat if we could convince white people that riots like this are a terrible effect of poo poo that needs to change first as opposed to something that needs to change first, that would be swell.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

semper wifi posted:

It's hilarious that people actually thought it was something other than a purse-snatching

It's miserable that people give more than a single poo poo about it

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Brannock posted:

The whole thing is a loving mess, much like Baltimore. My apologies.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

oh good, as if debating the ethics of burning down a cvs wasn't dumb enough now we've got reddit internet detectiving people just to finally put a pin in PurseGate 2015

gee whiz how suspicious, who would ever try to avoid answering hard questions from an internet lynch mob

Are you defending the City Paper?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

Are you defending the City Paper?

i'm certainly not siding with reddit, the wonderful people who in in the midst of emotionally charged breaking events brought us excellent exposes on the real identities of the boston marathon bombers as well as the hidden power behind games journalism (feminists)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

semper wifi posted:

Why?

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

i'm certainly not siding with reddit, the wonderful people who in in the midst of emotionally charged breaking events brought us excellent exposes on the real identities of the boston marathon bombers as well as the hidden power behind games journalism (feminists)

I don't think it's a matter of "siding" with Reddit or not. The woman in the photographs wrote a post defending herself and posted it on Reddit. I don't think that means she's necessarily a Redditor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pacmania90 posted:

I don't think it's a matter of "siding" with Reddit or not. The woman in the photographs wrote a post defending herself and posted it on Reddit. I don't think that means she's necessarily a Redditor.

maybe not, but it's a bit silly to counter allegations of questionable statements on the internet driven by a biased perspective by providing your own questionable statements driven by a biased perspective. whether or not one dude in a riot was snatching a purse doesn't matter in the slightest but by god we're going to figure out exactly how many angels dance on this pin despite what the SJWs have to say about it. i guess that's preferable to talking about the enormous civil disturbance going on all around that picture and why that disturbance is even happening

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
City Paper has posted an explanation of sorts and a retraction. That should be the end of the matter.

Should we have a separate Baltimore thread for D&D or are we going to continue tracking the riots in this thread? I'm wondering how the rest of the week will play out with the enforced curfews and such. I suppose we'll find out tonight.

Reddit is a gigantic website with a very large and very diverse userbase, among them leftists even more leftist than yourself. This characterization is short-sighted at best.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

Reddit is a gigantic website with a very large and very diverse userbase, among them leftists even more leftist than yourself. This characterization is short-sighted at best.

yes, i'm sure someone more leftist than me wrote this:

quote:

The City Paper has been stirring hate and bending facts since Mike Brown. You can go on their site and search Mike Brown to see some of their biased reporting.

They've been telling people of Baltimore the "protesters" are peaceful, villainizing any cops including Darren Wilson, and making people with a criminal record list a mile long into martyrs for people to riot to. It would be a drat shame if their readers in Baltimore realized the protests are not actually as peaceful as they make them out to be.

this is surely the statement of someone who is interested in an objective view of what happened, and not someone at all trying to win an identity politics argument

it's kind of dumb tho to point at the enormous, anonymous, self-selecting feedback loop that is reddit and regard that as a hallmark of clear and critical thinking though

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't think you understand what "diverse" means. Someone writing a reactionary idiot opinion doesn't mean that everyone from that group is a reactionary idiot. Should I judge you by the postings of Arkane and Effectronica?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't mind, as the OP, if this thread follows these events. They are fairly pertinent to Law Enforcement, especially in the US and since the discussion will tie in with other law enforcement topics, this thread seems to fit that fine.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

I don't think you understand what "diverse" means. Someone writing a reactionary idiot opinion doesn't mean that everyone from that group is a reactionary idiot. Should I judge you by the postings of Arkane and Effectronica?

somehow this argument is even more supremely retarded than trusting a website which you admitted is infested with stormfront types and has a pathological hatred for feminists

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

yes, i'm sure someone more leftist than me wrote this:

this is surely the statement of someone who is interested in an objective view of what happened, and not someone at all trying to win an identity politics argument

it's kind of dumb tho to point at the enormous, anonymous, self-selecting feedback loop that is reddit and regard that as a hallmark of clear and critical thinking though

Haha holy poo poo you just wrote about not taking one incident and using it to write off an event and then took one post and used it to write off an entire user base. Congratulations!

whether or not one dude in a riot was snatching a purse doesn't matter in the slightest but by god we're going to figure out exactly how many angels dance on this pin despite what the SJWs have to say about it.

somehow this argument is even more supremely retarded than trusting a website which you admitted is infested with stormfront types and has a pathological hatred for feminists

This thread is infested with you, someone who is probably the most racist member of the entire thread. But by golly you'll sure tell us what to think and how to think it because actual discussion is just so far beyond yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
im sorry if any redditors are offended that i think your community is garbage. please forgive me (don't mail pictures of dead cats to my parents)

• Locked thread