Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
How does Lightroom CC's HDR feature compare to dedicated HDR programs, e.g. Photomatix?
What about the panorama stitching compared to e.g. Hugin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I've been shooting mostly with the 35 1.8 on my D5100 and was thinking of getting something wider angled. Is the Nikon 10-24 the way to go? Sigma 18-35 1.8 also sounds nice

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
People like the tamron 17-50 f2.8 too

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Yongnuo's EF-S 35mm f/2 is out and it costs $116

Nikon clones coming later this year

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Does anyone have experience with purchasing stuff from KEH for mainland Europe? The prices are very interesting but I'm pretty sure I have to calculate VAT and duty on top of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't find the prices for the body I wanted was different enough between KEH sending to an address I can pick up from in the U.S. and MPB photographic in the UK personally. It's cheaper, but if you add on import duty and postage like you say, I just can't imagine that it's worth it for a lot of purchase.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I went halfway through with a purchase from KEH, when they asked me to "verify my credit card" by sending a photo of it. That's when I decided I didn't want to do business with them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I live in Canada and shipping and handling from KEH is murder. I can't imagine it being any better to Europe.

If KEH ever figured out a way to ship to Canada for cheap, I would be doomed.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

I live in Canada and shipping and handling from KEH is murder. I can't imagine it being any better to Europe.

Absolutely true for me, too. For some things, their prices are low enough under the local price to actually make it worth it when shipping, tax, and customs duty get piled on top. A year and a half ago, my K-5 (body only), for example, would have been around $700 locally (if I could have found a non-abused, second-hand one locally), but came to around $540 total from KEH - about $450 for the camera, a small bump for currency conversion (that would be murderous today), $40 in shipping, and around $40 for import duty. For Europe I assume it's similar but shipping is higher and import duty obviously varies by country.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Shipping from KEH is kinda awful even in the US. It's like $12 for the most basic shipping, and since it's FedEx there's no guarantee that I'll get it this month.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
lol at americans complaining about $12 shipping

:canada:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I gotta be honest, I've never had issues with KEH in shipping. They pad things well, and if $12 gets it to me in 2 days (3 at the most) in tiny rear end Toledo, I'm pretty happy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

lol at americans complaining about $12 shipping

:canada:

Look, in real countries we get free slow shipping, or pay $12-20 for the good stuff.

edit: V I'm literally a couple of miles from the KEH warehouse and it took FedEx 3 weeks to send me a lens once, it's loving awful.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 23, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UPS can ship faster to me in the UK from the US than they can send stuff to my girlfriends house in Key West. Then when it gets marked as out for delivery within the area at 7am, it turns up at 8pm. It's a 2x4 mile island, how does it take 13 hours ? Do they strap the packages to the back of tortoises or something? The one advantage of the UK is fairly quick delivery for free/cheap, and next day if you pay a reasonable amount.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

HPL posted:

The thing is, right around the time they unleashed their new website, they had a cheaper option for shipping to canada. I paid $150 plus $10.95 for shipping for lens to Canada. That option is gone now :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I got keh to put me on the "no fedex" list :smugdog:

They don't even charhe extra to ship.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nm posted:

I got keh to put me on the "no fedex" list :smugdog:

They don't even charhe extra to ship.

How? FedEx is loving terrible borderline criminal in my area.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The only thing worse than FedEx is FedEx Home Delivery. Wait wait, FedEx SmartPost.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

SmartPost is probably the funniest thing though, you give FedEx $12 to take your package, walk down the street, and give it to the actual Post Office.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WugLyfe posted:

How? FedEx is loving terrible borderline criminal in my area.

They had to ship something to me three times before theey gave up and used ups overnight. So I have a no fedex flag.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

People like the tamron 17-50 f2.8 too

this didn't help narrow it down btw.

Current plan is to go to the markets later and see what's available around here, otherwise I'll have to make a choice and have it shipped to a friend in NA for later

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So I haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in digital photography since I bought a D300 about seven years ago. Therefore, I need some advice.

My fiance's birthday is on the horizon and she's been making some noises about getting a new camera. What are the best options at the bottom end of the scale - point and shoots or mirrorless or whatever? Purpose is purely for holiday snaps and the like. Let's say $300 would be about my max spend. As long as it's better than the camera in a Samsung Galaxy S4 she'll be happy.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

elgarbo posted:

So I haven't been paying attention to what's been going on in digital photography since I bought a D300 about seven years ago. Therefore, I need some advice.

My fiance's birthday is on the horizon and she's been making some noises about getting a new camera. What are the best options at the bottom end of the scale - point and shoots or mirrorless or whatever? Purpose is purely for holiday snaps and the like. Let's say $300 would be about my max spend. As long as it's better than the camera in a Samsung Galaxy S4 she'll be happy.

Get her a Samsung Galaxy S6.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Sony makes good camera phones I guess?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You could always go for an rx100 Mark 1.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Even the cheapest entry-level DSLR will probably be better than the D300 at this point.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Do these L-plates offer anything in terms of grippage?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/X-T1/BXT1-L-Set-L-Plate-for-XT1.html

I have the vertical battery grip for my X-T1 but man it's huge and unwieldly. Plus I could just be carrying the batteries in my bag/person anyway and I rarely remember to actually use the buttons on the grip.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Geektox posted:

Do these L-plates offer anything in terms of grippage?

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/X-T1/BXT1-L-Set-L-Plate-for-XT1.html

I have the vertical battery grip for my X-T1 but man it's huge and unwieldly. Plus I could just be carrying the batteries in my bag/person anyway and I rarely remember to actually use the buttons on the grip.

The RRS for the XT-1 doesn't come with a grip.

You want something chinese like this: http://www.amazon.com/SUPON-Release-L-Bracket-Camera-Fujifilm/dp/B00SB081NO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1430251001&sr=8-6&keywords=xt-1+grip

I have one of these (desmond branded, but these things are all coming from the same factories in china) for my X100T and it's great - really well made. The plates are proper size and fit in all my clamps, and the grip is substantially better than what's built into the camera. I put a little loctite blue on the bolts just for safety sake , but it's honestly very well machined.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't been following photo news for about 18mo now. Are we at the point yet where ILCs can upload to the cloud? No more manual transfer of files. Everything sorted by camera and date (and GPS when available). Either automatically uploaded to local computer or internet cloud?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

timrenzi574 posted:

The RRS for the XT-1 doesn't come with a grip.

You want something chinese like this: http://www.amazon.com/SUPON-Release-L-Bracket-Camera-Fujifilm/dp/B00SB081NO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1430251001&sr=8-6&keywords=xt-1+grip

I have one of these (desmond branded, but these things are all coming from the same factories in china) for my X100T and it's great - really well made. The plates are proper size and fit in all my clamps, and the grip is substantially better than what's built into the camera. I put a little loctite blue on the bolts just for safety sake , but it's honestly very well machined.

Crud, all the ones on Canadian amazon either have bad reviews saying it doesn't fit properly or are marked up to poo poo.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

I haven't been following photo news for about 18mo now. Are we at the point yet where ILCs can upload to the cloud? No more manual transfer of files. Everything sorted by camera and date (and GPS when available). Either automatically uploaded to local computer or internet cloud?

Some of the Fuji bodies have PC Auto Save where the camera will upload images to your PC when it's connected to your wireless. I know the X-T1 and X100T do it. Not sure if any of the older ones have it. Also not sure how well it works. Reviews on the internet were mixed.

Uploading straight to the cloud has been available in eye-fi cards for years if you want to go that route. However, I think you'll run into the same problems with both eye-fi and in-body wifi transfer to PC. Namely, it'll be slow and drain your batteries really fast. You'd get your photos much faster plugging the SD card into your machine.

Where in camera wifi shines is for downloading photos to your phone/tablet so that they can be viewed on a larger screen or shared on social media. (the exact same thing can be accomplished with an eye-fi card).

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Geektox posted:

Crud, all the ones on Canadian amazon either have bad reviews saying it doesn't fit properly or are marked up to poo poo.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00N34...emsL&ref=plSrch

Only one guy saying the side door doesn't clear totally with the l bracket piece in place on this one (it's removable anyway so no big whoop there )

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I dig the ability to grab shots off my camera on my iPhone and upload them to Instagram while out on the field. It feels like its cheating and I have zero problems with this.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dren posted:

Some of the Fuji bodies have PC Auto Save where the camera will upload images to your PC when it's connected to your wireless. I know the X-T1 and X100T do it. Not sure if any of the older ones have it. Also not sure how well it works. Reviews on the internet were mixed.

Uploading straight to the cloud has been available in eye-fi cards for years if you want to go that route. However, I think you'll run into the same problems with both eye-fi and in-body wifi transfer to PC. Namely, it'll be slow and drain your batteries really fast. You'd get your photos much faster plugging the SD card into your machine.

Where in camera wifi shines is for downloading photos to your phone/tablet so that they can be viewed on a larger screen or shared on social media. (the exact same thing can be accomplished with an eye-fi card).

Thanks.

I'm more just trying to skip a step in this chain:

1)take pictures
2)offload cards into organized dirs that could be done by a robot
3)Main library of photos located on centralized network storage
4)Network storage backed up to cloud

I kinda want to skip from 2-4 without any manual work on my part. I guess I can sort of use my NAS. It does have some feature of offloading cameras if they are connected via USB. Not sure how configurable that is and it would be blind since the NAS has no display to show me whats going on and progress without loading a web UI.

Basically I think technology could do better in 2015 than physically taking a card out of my camera(s), plugging them into a computer and either manually archiving photos or doing it through some import dialog. iCloud photos and iDevice photo taking is pretty much the experience I would like with a ILC camera. Of course I wouldn't mind more advanced features added to that over time.

Also, Wifi N and AC are pretty much faster than USB2 in good conditions. I would gladly copy photos over those than have to take cards out provided the camera is on mains power. Are cameras even shipping with USB3 or better?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 29, 2015

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Pro bodies also have to withstand earthquakes and such, so it's impossible to send a wireless signal through the plates of armor

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Have you tried shooting tethered? There's wired and wireless tethering (which may be spotty), I have capture one set to import directly to my folder structure and I only have to change the destination occasionally. I also shoot at a stage from a static position for the most part so your setup may be different.

I've hears that wireless tethering can work, but range and keeping a strong signal can be a challenge.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Hey folks,

I learned to shoot on a hand-me-down Nikkormat and then eventually moved to a more modern Nikon SLR of my own in the late 90s, but have put off upgrading to the digital world because I was (am) busy over committing to things. I've held myself over with a Canon S80 in the meantime.

I don't want to spend 4 figures on a camera right now, which seems like it puts me right on the DSLR/mirrorless split. I have a bunch of old glass from the Nikkormat and some cheap Sigma AF lenses from the turn of the century.

From what I've read, I was thinking of trying to get a D3300 body only, use the old kit lens on it when necessary, and get the 35mm f/1.8 prime lens. (I've shot the 50mm and loved it.)

Does that sound like the most reasonable choice? Any other suggestions? How do old manual lenses interact with modern bodies? Will I want to pull my hair out switching settings between that and a modern lens?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Your non-AI lenses will work on D5x00 and D3x00 bodies, but won't meter. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I think for using manual lenses the main difference is that the D3x00 bodies don't have bracketing, MLU, and other minor niceties.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks.

I'm more just trying to skip a step in this chain:

1)take pictures
2)offload cards into organized dirs that could be done by a robot
3)Main library of photos located on centralized network storage
4)Network storage backed up to cloud

I kinda want to skip from 2-4 without any manual work on my part. I guess I can sort of use my NAS. It does have some feature of offloading cameras if they are connected via USB. Not sure how configurable that is and it would be blind since the NAS has no display to show me whats going on and progress without loading a web UI.

Basically I think technology could do better in 2015 than physically taking a card out of my camera(s), plugging them into a computer and either manually archiving photos or doing it through some import dialog. iCloud photos and iDevice photo taking is pretty much the experience I would like with a ILC camera. Of course I wouldn't mind more advanced features added to that over time.

Also, Wifi N and AC are pretty much faster than USB2 in good conditions. I would gladly copy photos over those than have to take cards out provided the camera is on mains power. Are cameras even shipping with USB3 or better?

uh..

USB 3 card reader
LR import (organizes stuff by date or w/e)
some loving thing to mirror poo poo to your NAS/cloud stuff, I use BTsync but there might be something better

you plug your card in, hit import in the automatic dialog LR pops up (i think you can even have it auto import), and go chill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

PFlats posted:

Hey folks,

I learned to shoot on a hand-me-down Nikkormat and then eventually moved to a more modern Nikon SLR of my own in the late 90s, but have put off upgrading to the digital world because I was (am) busy over committing to things. I've held myself over with a Canon S80 in the meantime.

I don't want to spend 4 figures on a camera right now, which seems like it puts me right on the DSLR/mirrorless split. I have a bunch of old glass from the Nikkormat and some cheap Sigma AF lenses from the turn of the century.

From what I've read, I was thinking of trying to get a D3300 body only, use the old kit lens on it when necessary, and get the 35mm f/1.8 prime lens. (I've shot the 50mm and loved it.)

Does that sound like the most reasonable choice? Any other suggestions? How do old manual lenses interact with modern bodies? Will I want to pull my hair out switching settings between that and a modern lens?

Get a used D7000.

edit: I should elaborate more but google and compare its features to the D3300 and I think you'll see the benefit of spending a little bit more to get a much bigger bang for your buck. It'll still be sub-$1k.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 30, 2015