Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

I said come in! posted:

The codriver might not even be implemented yet, since the game still isn't finished.
Nah its a bug that other people have reported and they already know about. Hopefully it gets fixed soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I impulse bought the gently caress out of this. It's already pretty great. I wouldn't quite call it RBR levels of sim, but it definitely feels a bit more sim-like than previous Dirt games, feels kinda in between the two. Tracks are longer, narrower, and twistier than Dirt 3, and there's already a bunch for the 3 launch locations. Also all the cars from Dirt 3 are included, so lots of stuff to play with already. Weather effects are already in, damage, it's all there. Except yeah pacenotes are notably missing for whatever reason. Kinda wish there was a slider to reduce the washed out effect.

I will say you can get a really good feel for momentum and find yourself flying around corners really satisfyingly in no time.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 28, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jehde posted:

Yeah I impulse bought the gently caress out of this. It's already pretty great. I wouldn't quite call it RBR levels of sim, but it definitely feels a bit more sim-like than previous Dirt games, feels kinda in between the two. Tracks are longer, narrower, and twistier than Dirt 3, and there's already a bunch for the 3 launch locations. Also all the cars from Dirt 3 are included, so lots of stuff to play with already. Weather effects are already in, damage, it's all there. Except yeah pacenotes are notably missing for whatever reason. Kinda wish there was a slider to reduce the washed out effect.

I will say you can get a really good feel for momentum and find yourself flying around corners really satisfyingly in no time.

From internet comments it appears pace notes are working for some of people. I'll report when I play later tonight.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How's the Thrustmaster T300rs?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I've heard there's no FFB in DiRT rally, c/d?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Since the F1 2013/14 games aren't great sims based on the last page's discussion, what is my best option for sim open-wheel racing? I'm not necessarily interested in playing the current F1 season with 2015's cars, but I'd like to play something that sims that level of racing reasonably well.

I'm doing iRacing in Skip Barbers right now with a D-rank road safety rating and have a ways to go before I get to cars that approach current F1 in terms of speed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Rfactor 2.

Edit: As for dirt rally, feedback is good, and I get no pace notes.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 28, 2015

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I love sims when I get the chance but usually PC sims aren't really my type. Dirt Rally though has got me completely hooked, I've managed to graduate up to Professional class without a co-driver, and with a very expensive and heavy TPMS.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Since the F1 2013/14 games aren't great sims based on the last page's discussion, what is my best option for sim open-wheel racing? I'm not necessarily interested in playing the current F1 season with 2015's cars, but I'd like to play something that sims that level of racing reasonably well.

I'm doing iRacing in Skip Barbers right now with a D-rank road safety rating and have a ways to go before I get to cars that approach current F1 in terms of speed.

Like gutbomb said, rFactor 2. Original rF has a pretty baller mod that has all the cars and tracks from the 1979 F1 season.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

DiRT Rally early access reviews already up to Very Positive, looks like I'll have to give it a spin.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I've heard there's no FFB in DiRT rally, c/d?

There is FFB but it needs work it's a bit lacking at the moment.

Edit - I made a test goon league I'm not sure if this works but let's give it a go.

https://www.dirtgame.com/leagues/league/13996/dirtygoons

advion fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 28, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

advion posted:

There is FFB but it needs work it's a bit lacking at the moment.

It's weird because it's pretty strong on tarmac and weak on snow, ice, and gravel. In some ways it feels pretty realistic because on ice the wheel moves very freely and has no spring back to center while on tarmac the spring back is fairly strong. It's just not what we are used to and it's not really simulating the bumps with vibrations yet. I really liked being able to feel the different surfaces though. I could tell the difference between a wet surface and an ice surface by wheel feel alone which is light years ahead of any other games in the dirt sites where snow, ice, and gravel always feel the same.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

holocaust bloopers posted:

How's the Thrustmaster T300rs?

I dig mine despite the mediocre pedals, modifying the brake for a progressive feel made a huge difference. Only thing I don't care for is the constant individual game fuckery to make it feel proper in everything that isn't Gran Turismo 6, it's a big enough pain that I haven't got nearly the mileage I should have out of PC sims (this is probably an issue with most wheels if my experience with the Sidewinder FFB is any indication).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Gutbomb did you ever get very far with Maple Valley?

advion
Jul 25, 2005
I'm really enjoying DiRT Rally. Sure I doubt it's as insanely modeled physics wise as RBR but gently caress it's fun and everything is done pretty drat well. Really liking the league stuff and I've been knocking out the stages in our test event slowly but surely.

When they fix the co-driver pacenotes bug I'll be playing a lot of this.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

Gutbomb did you ever get very far with Maple Valley?

Yes, I messed with the exported mesh but it was too big of a mess. I used it for elevation, width, and camber reference though. I drew the track in bobs track builder, exported to rfactor for testing and I'm happy with the layout. I still need to put in scenery, walls, and kerbs. I'm not going to match the scenery of the Forza version. The track layout is what I wanted, I don't care about matching the scenery so it's just going to be a generic track with grass and maybe some hills in the middle.

In bobs track builder you draw the track out with splines with control handles to make smooth curves. I turned the mesh detail way above a typical rfactor track to make sure it smoothes out all of the bumps.

I'm currently working out how to do the rfactor to ac conversion right now and think I've figured it out. I'll try to make a video tonight and post it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 28, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

I dig mine despite the mediocre pedals, modifying the brake for a progressive feel made a huge difference. Only thing I don't care for is the constant individual game fuckery to make it feel proper in everything that isn't Gran Turismo 6, it's a big enough pain that I haven't got nearly the mileage I should have out of PC sims (this is probably an issue with most wheels if my experience with the Sidewinder FFB is any indication).

Huh alright. I passed on the G27 deal a while back because I'd like a wheel with PS4 compatibility. The T300rs is on my list.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

advion posted:

I'm really enjoying DiRT Rally. Sure I doubt it's as insanely modeled physics wise as RBR but gently caress it's fun and everything is done pretty drat well. Really liking the league stuff and I've been knocking out the stages in our test event slowly but surely.

When they fix the co-driver pacenotes bug I'll be playing a lot of this.

According to a dev on the forums, they think they figured out what caused it, it's gonna be tested internally then should be out to us. I'd bet we see a fix by tomorrow at the latest, unless it doesn't go well.

Apparently it only affects Americans. Dunno if it's all Americans or just some, but they characterized it that way.

Edit: Has anyone had any success linking their Steam account to their Codemasters account? I've been trying since yesterday morning and I keep getting errors.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 28, 2015

advion
Jul 25, 2005

quaunaut posted:

Edit: Has anyone had any success linking their Steam account to their Codemasters account? I've been trying since yesterday morning and I keep getting errors.

I successfully linked mine when I made the goon league in an above post, it did take a few tries though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
On the fence for buying DiRT rally, as I'm probably spending around £1900 on repairing the sills and repainting the front of my car soon. Money's tight. :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Falken posted:

On the fence for buying DiRT rally, as I'm probably spending around £1900 on repairing the sills and repainting the front of my car soon. Money's tight. :(

You can wait. There's not much game there.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Falken posted:

It's early access right now. Hold off.

And project cars is in a week or so.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

You can wait. There's not much game there.
This is good news to me. Kind of also wanted to jump the gun to stifle the wanting to play Project CARS right now, but it sounded pretty content light. $32 isn't bad for what should eventually become a good full-fledged rally game, but I'm hopeful of being able to grab it for cheaper (with more content implemented) on Steam Summer or Winter Sales after my Project CARS love has died down a bit rather than it being a week long stop-gap game.

That said, I loved the old Colin McRae games and found the entire DiRT endeavor to be a huge disappointment so I hope DiRT Rally continues in the right direction.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Unless you're really into Dirt/rally-sim, hold off. Most goon ITT will probably get the most out of Project CARS instead. Codemasters did include in their little early access FAQ thing that they will raise the price as it progresses through development, so if you want in cheap on the ground floor, now's the time. Unfortunately I am really into Dirt/rally/sim so I couldn't not buy it, but fortunately it does scratch the itch really drat well. I can't wait until they fix the pacenotes and I finally have my ultimate rally sim, no more need for Dirt 3 or RSRBR.

Just to add a bit more about where Dirt Rally fits in with rally sim: How Dirt Rally approaches simulation is pretty different from NGP in RSRBR. RSRBR tends to follow the sim trope of being unrealistically difficult, Dirt Rally feels a lot more "grounded". The most obvious difference is the amount of grip you get. In RSRBR, you're constantly sliding around, gravel feels more like ice than anything. However in Dirt Rally you feel like you have even too much grip at times, you can brake way later and take corners at speeds you think you shouldn't be able to. I keep seeing the insane grip levels (whether realistic or not) as a common complaint though, so we'll see how Dirt Rally changes as it goes on.

VVV You mean you don't get annoyed at having only a centimetre of wiggle room for steering? I know I sure as hell do.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm having a hard time justifying a wheel purchase. Which is funny considering I own that Thrustmaster Warthog setup for flight sims. How much better is playing with a wheel as opposed to a gamepad?

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Jehde posted:

Unless you're really into Dirt/rally-sim, hold off. Most goon ITT will probably get the most out of Project CARS instead. Codemasters did include in their little early access FAQ thing that they will raise the price as it progresses through development, so if you want in cheap on the ground floor, now's the time. Unfortunately I am really into Dirt/rally/sim so I couldn't not buy it, but fortunately it does scratch the itch really drat well. I can't wait until they fix the pacenotes and I finally have my ultimate rally sim, no more need for Dirt 3 or RSRBR.

Just to add a bit more about where Dirt Rally fits in with rally sim: How Dirt Rally approaches simulation is pretty different from NGP in RSRBR. RSRBR tends to follow the sim trope of being unrealistically difficult, Dirt Rally feels a lot more "grounded". The most obvious difference is the amount of grip you get. In RSRBR, you're constantly sliding around, gravel feels more like ice than anything. However in Dirt Rally you feel like you have even too much grip at times, you can brake way later and take corners at speeds you think you shouldn't be able to. I keep seeing the insane grip levels (whether realistic or not) as a common complaint though, so we'll see how Dirt Rally changes as it goes on.

VVV You mean you don't get annoyed at having only a centimetre of wiggle room for steering? I know I sure as hell do.

I tend to like the grip levels on gravel but I feel it's a bit too grippy on tarmac. That's my problem with iRacing is people think it's so realistic that it has to be difficult and have no grip. These cars are designed to grip and I feel a disconnect with the tires and surface in iRacing.

Maybe they are not ultra realistic and based off of CAD data and every track isn't laser scanned but I really enjoy AC and pCars and LFS (and now DR) because I actually feel connected to the ground.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Huh alright. I passed on the G27 deal a while back because I'd like a wheel with PS4 compatibility. The T300rs is on my list.

Get one, it's a nice, well built wheel and there aren't too many options for PS4 compatibility. People bitch about the plastic pedals that don't match the quality of the wheel itself, it's a bit exaggerated and the brake's overly linear feel isn't the worst thing and rectified with $10 and a trip to home depot. As I said, my only genuine complaint is default game profiles for it aren't very good and require custom settings for individual games, Gran Turismo 6 being the sole exception where it just feels how it should out of the box.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 29, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm having a hard time justifying a wheel purchase. Which is funny considering I own that Thrustmaster Warthog setup for flight sims. How much better is playing with a wheel as opposed to a gamepad?

My enjoyment level went up drastically once I purchased my G27. I have a really hard time playing racing games without it now. It adds a lot to the overall experience. Honestly, some Sims just don't feel playable without one.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Norns posted:

My enjoyment level went up drastically once I purchased my G27. I have a really hard time playing racing games without it now. It adds a lot to the overall experience. Honestly, some Sims just don't feel playable without one.

Indeed, they make games that were playable with a gamepad almost too easy, and near unplayable ones like Assetto Corsa well, payable.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br238fD9aOE

I now have a huge amount of respect for getting tire grip just right.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I bet the project cars developers can put out material like that, and the more idiotic elements of the sim community would still decry the game as simcade.

Basically don't read reddit or any other forums.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Project CARS getting released seems like a good excuse to upgrade my graphics card, what do you guys think it would take to get running on Ultra at 60 FPS 1080? My current card is from 2009 and it's starting to show it's age.

mearn fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 29, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mearn posted:

Project CARS getting released seems like a good excuse to upgrade my graphics card, what do you guys think it would take to get running on Ultra at 60 FPS 1080? My current card is from 2009 and it's starting to show it's age.

GTX 970 is the answer. Video card perfection.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

advion posted:

I successfully linked mine when I made the goon league in an above post, it did take a few tries though.

I've been trying every 20 or so seconds for a good half hour while watching a stream, no success. This isn't cool :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
gently caress it. Bought a G27 from Newegg. Comes in next week and just in time for Project Cars. So the pedals aren't great, what can I do to improve the braking action without spending a ton of money?

bloops fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 29, 2015

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

gently caress it. Bought a G27 from Newegg. Comes in next week and just in time for Project Cars. So the pedals aren't great, what can I do to improve the braking action without spending a ton of money?

I don't mind the peddles but i hear new springs can do a world of good.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

advion posted:

I tend to like the grip levels on gravel but I feel it's a bit too grippy on tarmac. That's my problem with iRacing is people think it's so realistic that it has to be difficult and have no grip. These cars are designed to grip and I feel a disconnect with the tires and surface in iRacing.

Maybe they are not ultra realistic and based off of CAD data and every track isn't laser scanned but I really enjoy AC and pCars and LFS (and now DR) because I actually feel connected to the ground.

I find that this is because of the disconnect between your body and the game, in real life you can feel so much more in terms of where grip thresholds are so when you encounter the same conditions in a sim it feels really slick and 'unrealistic'. I'm not sure how this can be solved until someone comes up with some kind of revolution in FF systems, in the meantime 'hard' sims will feel unrealistic and 'easy' sims will perform unrealistically.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It's not just that though. In "realistic" sims you have something like a spec miata that loses grip at a lower speed than it would in real life. It's not just a disconnect. Even professional racing drivers have said that there is more grip in a real car than in something like iracing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

It's not just that though. In "realistic" sims you have something like a spec miata that loses grip at a lower speed than it would in real life. It's not just a disconnect. Even professional racing drivers have said that there is more grip in a real car than in something like iracing.

Which is probably why when they had that nerdy iRacing dude drive a real F1 car, they found his lines were perfect, but he would still be (slightly) too conservative going into corners.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/02/iracing-star-gets-chance-to-try-real-thing-at-road-atlanta/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Patch just got posted for Dirt:Rally that fixes the co-driver and now it's a shitton of fun. Holy crap I can see myself spending a bunch of time with this.

• Locked thread