Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Sorry. Not chimera. Cerberus model zoan (three headed dog). The author noted BB's connection with the number 3 such as the three flintlock pistols he carries, his flag being three skulls in the same arrangement as the dogs three heads, the three scars he gave Shanks, etc.

Cerberus was also sometimes said to devour or rip out the souls of those it killed, similar to BB stealing Whitebeard's fruit.

Something really cool that this guy noticed that I never really thought of was how Oda effectively split the real lIfe Blackbeard into three characters in the show. Edward Newgate, Thatch, and Marshall Teach (the real life Black beard was known by two names, Edward Thatch and Edward Teach), all now effectively one being in the show if Blackbeard consumed the other two's souls.

This theory made so much sense that at first I thought you were posting spoilers. The wound on Shanks eye definitely looks like it came from a claw scratch, much like from a dog.
Though a three-headed Blackbeard is going to be rather unsettling to see.

I had originally thought that Blackbeard was gathering up more fruit for him to eat and he was going to become some kind of superboss with like a million powers, but I guess if this theory is true, he's limited to 3 (including the Zoan) and just the crew is gathering them for themselves. This would mean he has one fruit of each category.

I also think it's weird that the opening pairs Luffy against Blackbeard as if they are mortal enemies, but Luffy has never really caused any problems for Blackbeard. Though I guess Luffy does really hate Blackbeard. Yet not Akainu. Must have been for liking those terrible pies.

Ryaomon posted:

pretty obvious having multiple powers is why he wanted the darkness fruit so bad because why would he want the worst fruit in the world so badly otherwise

That doesn't make sense for several reasons. One, it doesn't seem to match the fruit. It devours everything, not adds to things or anything. Also, people comment that this ability must come from "his strange body", not from his new ability. And mostly importantly, people seemed surprised by his darkness power's abilities, but seemed to have a theory on hand from previous experience with him that explained why he could eat multiple fruits. And also yeah, the Cerberus thing makes a lot more sense.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

This theory made so much sense that at first I thought you were posting spoilers. The wound on Shanks eye definitely looks like it came from a claw scratch, much like from a dog.

Blackbeard used to have wolverine claw weapon things.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Oh yes, that's true. I remember just looking at that as well.
Still kind of fits the dog theme imo. But Oda might surprise us yet!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

KoB posted:

The claw Blackbeard had has four blades.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Crazyeyes posted:

The claw Blackbeard had has four blades.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!

That image is so low resolution it looks like one blade.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

That image is so low resolution it looks like one blade.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The last few episodes have been really good. Kanjuro! Kanjuro! for like 2 years now and we're finally going to see him.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

The last few episodes have been really good. Kanjuro! Kanjuro! for like 2 years now and we're finally going to see him.

Probably only in silhouette. Need to really milk that reveal.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

I always that was funny because it's not like we know who it is even when we see them. Though it is strangely fulfilling to finally see someone that has been built up for so long.

Also, yeah, it feels likes it been forever. How long has this samurai thing been going for now?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Nah, he's in the next episode preview. Apparently he's a sorcerer or something.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Nah, he's in the next episode preview. Apparently he's a sorcerer or something.

He's a samurai. Where have you been for the past like two IRL years?

KAAAAAANJJUUURROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I never said he wasn't a samurai. Just that he was a sorcerer.

He's a samurai who practices sorcery. He's multiclassed. People in One Piece can be multiple things!

---

EDIT: Kanjuro's sorcery is the best thing :D. Too bad he sucks at art!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 3, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of shadows, looking forward to finally seeing Kaido too.

Responding to an earlier post about Blackbeard's nullification being made obsolete by haki, I still don't agree. All Haki does is let you hit the intangible, total nullification is completely different. If you take away their Devil Fruits a lot of the top fighters drop considerably. Doflamingo, Law, Smoker, Crocodile, Moria, and plenty of others would be in a lot of trouble with their powers suppressed even though they can handle haki users. Not to mention Blackbeard can suck people towards him and easily grab a hold of them, instead of having to coat his hand in haki and try to strike. I guess it also has the element of surprise. Ace, an excellent hand to hand fighter, almost had his neck broken from a karate chop because he assumed he could just let it pass through him., whereas a haki coated hand is much more obvious.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of shadows, looking forward to finally seeing Kaido too.

Responding to an earlier post about Blackbeard's nullification being made obsolete by haki, I still don't agree. All Haki does is let you hit the intangible, total nullification is completely different. If you take away their Devil Fruits a lot of the top fighters drop considerably. Doflamingo, Law, Smoker, Crocodile, Moria, and plenty of others would be in a lot of trouble with their powers suppressed even though they can handle haki users. Not to mention Blackbeard can suck people towards him and easily grab a hold of them, instead of having to coat his hand in haki and try to strike. I guess it also has the element of surprise. Ace, an excellent hand to hand fighter, almost had his neck broken from a karate chop because he assumed he could just let it pass through him., whereas a haki coated hand is much more obvious.

1. I absolutely agree but doubt we'll be seeing Kaido for a depressingly long time, yet. Remember that Sanji and tertiary crew are still floating around Big Mom's flagship for some reason and have been for a long time. Something has to happen with that and no way Oda is gonna blow all the biggest series reveals one after another like that.

2. Now that BB's powers are out and known I doubt he will be surprising many more (high-end) devil fruit users with the whole "it's gonna pass through me" ruse.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 5, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Crazyeyes posted:

1. I absolutely agree but doubt we'll be seeing Kaido for a depressingly long time, yet. Remember that Sanji and tertiary crew are still floating around Big Mom's flagship for some reason and have been for a long time. Something has to happen with that and no way Oda is gonna blow all the biggest series reveals one after another like that.

2. Now that BB's powers are out and known I doubt he will be surprising many more (high-end) devil fruit users with the whole "it's gonna pass through me" ruse.

But Marines still try to shoot bullets at Logias, though.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444919515"]
But Marines still try to shoot bullets at Logias, though.

There's a reason for that

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So I'm up to episode 212 now... I felt like the Skypiea arc kind of dragged in the middle, but it got really good in the latter half. And the G-8 arc was fun. I was enjoying how bizarre Long Ring Long Land was... until the Foxy Pirates came along. I feel like I'm watching Wacky Races.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

So I'm up to episode 212 now... I felt like the Skypiea arc kind of dragged in the middle, but it got really good in the latter half. And the G-8 arc was fun. I was enjoying how bizarre Long Ring Long Land was... until the Foxy Pirates came along. I feel like I'm watching Wacky Races.

The Long Ring Arc is amazing, wait until Afro Luffy appears

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It already shows him briefly in the current end credits sequence:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

EmmyOk posted:

The anime stretches it out with a bunch of filler events and like a giant punching Mech wall, if I remember right?

The Foxy fight is legit one of the best in the series bar none.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Zoro/Sanji vs the Groggy brothers is still one of my favorite bits.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

The anime stretches it out with a bunch of filler events and like a giant punching Mech wall, if I remember right?

The Foxy fight is legit one of the best in the series bar none.

That is canon, although one of the Foxy filler arcs reuses it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

This eyecatcher is getting so tiresome. Why on earth did they decide to go with just Luffy ones for 37 episodes instead of just continuing to use the old ones?

The Ocean's Dream arc was fun!

I got a friend into the show as well, and she's only a bit behind me, in the Skypiea arc, and we're going to watch some of the movies tomorrow. Should be fun... I wish more of them were dubbed already, though! It's weird having certain voices associated with the characters and then switching to a different version.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 16, 2015

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Good lord. Franky and Senor have been fighting for like 100 episodes. It's not even a very interesting battle and a gimmick at best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Good lord. Franky and Senor have been fighting for like 100 episodes. It's not even a very interesting battle and a gimmick at best.

The fight is taking forever but goddamn do I love the hardboiled thing.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

30-odd, that fight started in ep 666 :devil: - it only feels longer because it keeps cutting away to other plot points.

But yeah, the pacing on the current arc is odd, there are too many threads ongoing so it keeps skipping around and taking forever to resolve anything. Stuff which should be handled quickly gets stretched out in order to end at the same point as longer parts.

I keep thinking I want to know what's going on with Sanji and pals back on the Sunny but then I realise it'd probably add another 10 or so episodes of little happening.

Likewise the fight against the nutcrackers feels like pointless padding, just get on with the cool fights already.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

30-odd, that fight started in ep 666 :devil: - it only feels longer because it keeps cutting away to other plot points.

But yeah, the pacing on the current arc is odd, there are too many threads ongoing so it keeps skipping around and taking forever to resolve anything. Stuff which should be handled quickly gets stretched out in order to end at the same point as longer parts.

I keep thinking I want to know what's going on with Sanji and pals back on the Sunny but then I realise it'd probably add another 10 or so episodes of little happening.

Likewise the fight against the nutcrackers feels like pointless padding, just get on with the cool fights already.

The fight against the nutcrackers is padding, pretty sure. I don't remember reading it in the manga.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

TheKingofSprings posted:

The fight against the nutcrackers is padding, pretty sure. I don't remember reading it in the manga.

It was in the manga. It's meant to let us know that Sugar is conscious again.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress me has this arc has gone on too long

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have some bad news for you.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Captain Invictus posted:

I have some bad news for you.

But also some good news

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The great thing about the current arc is that when you feel like it's gone on for far too long, something so incredibly awesome happens it gives you second wind. The arc is also dense as heck.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The headcrackers look really cool I think and take them to mean sugar(?) has woken back up from being scared by Usopp.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If that's the case it's pretty terrifying as it means Luffy and co have been punching holes through people...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

If that's the case it's pretty terrifying as it means Luffy and co have been punching holes through people...

Maybe, but I reckon her power also lets her control regular 'toys'

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

I didn't even think of that, lol. I wonder how she made all that fog to go with them as well.

The nutcrackers really make me think that Oda just watched Attack on Titan and wanted to include it in his anime too.

Thank God-Ussop, I was starting to worry we didn't have enough female characters whose only role is to cry a lot in this arc. She's small enough she could just walk out of that cage. At least she has a reason to be upset; I'm so sick of Rebecca.
Also, holy One-Piece-equivalent of hell, Violet's dad or whoever sent her to the dungeon for breaking a plate is hardcore. Also, I like that the secret dungeon was the last place she thought to look, haha.
Also Franky continues to be the best. A successful version of Johnny Bravo. A hard-boiled one.

More importantly: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/3D2Y
When this happen?! (I mean, I know it says on the page, but) Has anyone watched this yet? I know what I'm doing with my day today. Well, like a few minutes of it.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 22, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yup, confirmed that the Headcrackers (the big Nutcracker style toys) are people. It seems as though each one is comprised of several people fused together, if the scene with Sugar and the mooks if anything is to go by.

Usopp getting another chance to be a badass sniper is good. Hopefully they don't just turn it into a joke.

Also lol @ animation errors Law lamenting that he's still shackled while staring at his wrists, which are bound behind his back.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Woop, I was right. I imagine when they are returned to being uman they will only be a bit bashed up and not have gaping chest wounds. I really really like the headcracker designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Why is Diamante suddenly like 20 feet tall?