Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

One of the things that has been massively stunting Legacy and Modern growth on a global level is that burn decks simply aren't viable without access to a dwindling number of snow lands

There are burn decks in Modern that run Snow Lands that aren't Skred?

Maybe I'm missing a joke here????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Snow lands are Neat and Different.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

I assure you the amount of people shunning eternal formats because they can't play burn is no joke

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I assure you the amount of people shunning eternal formats because they can't play burn is no joke

I'm okay with that. The cost of Legacy means that, while it's slowly dying out, you only play against people who are truly invested in the format, making for an entirely better experience than modern or standard. Not to mention less burn means more diversity.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Besides, if the eternal formats were worth our time, WOTC would show support for them with their products. Out with the old, in with the new I say.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

One of the things that has been massively stunting Vintage and Legacy growth on a global level is that decks simply aren't viable without access to a dwindling number of dual lands

rabidsquid posted:

I assure you the amount of people shunning eternal formats because they can't play multicolored decks is no joke

Count Bleck I filled the joke in for you

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Deofuta posted:

Besides, if the eternal formats were worth our time, WOTC would show support for them with their products. Out with the old, in with the new I say.

You post this a month before the biggest MTG event of all time to support a set with nothing but eternal format reprints...

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

I'm okay with that. The cost of Legacy means that, while it's slowly dying out, you only play against people who are truly invested in the format, making for an entirely better experience than modern or standard. Not to mention less burn means more diversity.

Legacy has more interest now than ever before.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Count Bleck posted:

If I run Snow Mountains, you are then worrying about and playing around Skred. The more things you're playing around/trying to anticipate, the better my chances of winning. Or so the logic goes, at least.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

Legacy has more interest now than ever before.

Yes, from whiny, poor people. Who are best sitting outside of that money gate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

No because Lightning Bolt isn't in standard.........Lightning Strike on the other hand....

Ok but in actuality I almost certainly would keep it, it would be painful, but it would also pressure well. I would keep. You have just the right number of lands and action spells, and if you draw a land for turn 3 you can swing in for 6 damage, which is pretty nice.

I don't think its a good keep unless you know what you're playing already. Against an unknown deck I think you're asking to get hosed up. The problem I would think about when I drew it is that the hand is relatively bad against control and especially bad against other aggro decks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I might keep it if it had dragon fodder, but it's not really that explosive a hand anyway. Against control it's probably fine.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

You post this a month before the biggest MTG event of all time to support a set with nothing but eternal format reprints...

Modern isn't an Eternal format, it's a Constructed format

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I know deck thinning doesn't do dick, but how are my odds of drawing gas effected when my mana base is 17 lands and 8 of them are fetches? It's still negligible because a small amount of my deck is land to begin with?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I use snow covered island, because I like the ice age art :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I know deck thinning doesn't do dick, but how are my odds of drawing gas effected when my mana base is 17 lands and 8 of them are fetches? It's still negligible because a small amount of my deck is land to begin with?
I don't think that would make any difference, you're still paying like 5 life to draw on average one extra spell after 30 turns or something.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You just said you "know" it doesn't do dick. The answer to your question is that they're barely affected.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Skyl3lazer posted:

All eternal formats are constructed, you were looking for "non-rotating."

Also who cares, to 99% of players eternal and non-rotating are the same thing.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Kabanaw posted:

All eternal formats are constructed, you were looking for "non-rotating."

Also who cares, to 99% of players eternal and non-rotating are the same thing.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Why is Commander not listed under Eternal Formats? It meets all the criteria of the definition on that page.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

qbert posted:

Why is Commander not listed under Eternal Formats? It meets all the criteria of the definition on that page.

I have no idea but it nearly hosed me over on the rules adviser test!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/rbuehler/status/593171883899506688

A better lineup than any Pro Tour Top 8 I can think of in recent memory.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

A fine young man has retweeted this, I see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

Why the change in structure from the VSL?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Rinkles posted:

Why the change in structure from the VSL?

To showcase more standard decks. They intend for people to brew and not bring the same thing every week.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jassi007 posted:

To showcase more standard decks. They intend for people to brew and not bring the same thing every week.

Which is really sensible, seeing as if you locked people into decks for three weeks nobody would be interested in week three because all the decks would be outdated compared to the standard ~~metagame~~.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Well how about that!

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

Skyl3lazer posted:

lmao effortless autism trap sprung

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Standard Super League pre-show is live
http://twitch.tv/magic

Decklists will go live right at 9 ET on the Wizards site, apparently.

GerryT on Sidisi Whip
Wrapter on Esper Mentor (Standard Edition)
Kibler on Deathmist Den Protector with Black
Brad Nelson shuffling Bant Heroic
Owen The Kid on something with Thoughtseize
Cuneo on Sarkhan Unbroken Temur Ramp
Boss Ross on Jeskai Tokens
Paul on Esper Dragons

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 29, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Incredibly stoked to see this RUG Sarkhan ramp deck

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

From the discussion so far:
Kibler - G/B Aggro
Nelson - Bant Heroic
Ross - Jeskai Tokens
PAUL - Esper Dragons
Wrapter - Esper Mentor
Thompson - Sultai Whip
Cuneo - Temur Ramp
Turtenwald - Abzan Aggro

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

qbert posted:

From the discussion so far:
Kibler - G/B Aggro
Nelson - Bant Heroic
Ross - Jeskai Tokens
PAUL - Esper Dragons
Wrapter - Esper Mentor
Thompson - Sultai Whip
Cuneo - Temur Ramp
Turtenwald - Some deck with 4 Thoughtseize/4 Duress/4 Self-Inflicting Wound

Oh, this will be fun.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Christ the audio issues are bad for the SSL.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Doctor Teeth posted:

Christ the audio issues are bad for the SSL.

I like how the chat keeps acting like its MTGO's fault.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I like how the chat keeps acting like its MTGO's fault.

The terrible audio is related to mtgo in that they both stem from wizards' inability to do anything right with technology. Randy's bad-skype-connection quality audio was bad enough, but when it started cutting out completely I closed the stream.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Oh and I guess we're not getting all of the matches?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Owen stomps Cuneo (hooray Abzan Aggro!). Kibler stomps Nelson.

Doctor Teeth posted:

Oh and I guess we're not getting all of the matches?

Only in Round 1 will they not show all the matches. Both Top 4 matches will be shown and the Finals obviously.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 29, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

The terrible audio is related to mtgo in that they both stem from wizards' inability to do anything right with technology. Randy's bad-skype-connection quality audio was bad enough, but when it started cutting out completely I closed the stream.

Wizards doesn't own Twitch or Skype last I heard. That, or I'm completely lost as to what you're trying to say.

I don't think Cuneo's deck was very good. 4 Sarkhan-0 Stormbreath just seems like a weird 8-man room brew.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Wizards doesn't own Twitch or Skype last I heard. That, or I'm completely lost as to what you're trying to say.

I don't think Cuneo's deck was very good. 4 Sarkhan-0 Stormbreath just seems like a weird 8-man room brew.

I'm saying that wizards is unwilling to put the time, effort, or money into making their stream look and sound good, like MTGO. The audio cutting out wasn't due to the stream buffering which means it was probably on their end, not twitch's, and Randy could use a better mic, both things controllable by Wizards.

Although I tuned back in and it does sound better now, but it was really rough at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kabanaw posted:

I'm saying that wizards is unwilling to put the time, effort, or money into making their stream look and sound good, like MTGO. The audio cutting out wasn't due to the stream buffering which means it was probably on their end, not twitch's, and Randy could use a better mic, both things controllable by Wizards.

Although I tuned back in and it does sound better now, but it was really rough at the beginning.

VSL and by extension SSL are run by Randy and like two other guys coordinating the streams, wizards has very little to do with it aside from letting them use the official twitch page.

• Locked thread