Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

Brown hinted at a run this year, and he'd probably be in if Hillary wasn't. The Democratic field would look a lot like the Republican one does now with a bunch of candidates trying to determine how much support they'll get in the primary.

Biden, Brown, Cuomo, Gillibrand, Webb, Schweitzer, Klobuchar, Beshear, Bennet, Warner, Patrick. There's probably a few I'm forgetting too.

Can someone explain why Michael Bennet's name gets thrown around so much for higher office? I've heard him mentioned as a potential presidential candidate a couple times now, and before Schumer got all his ducks lined up, some pundit was even speculating that Bennet would take a run for Dem Senate leader. What is there to him, aside from being relatively young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Liberty Counsel is going to be giving an oath to all GOP candidates to take to state that they will disobey the SCOTUS if the court legalizes gay marriage

Huckabee and Santorum have signed so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfivL74C0C8

Yes I too wish to know who will sign the "I do not want to be president form," in the coming weeks.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

MaxxBot posted:

Who are the alternatives? The only two people that really have any support from the base are Elizabeth Warren is clearly not running and Bernie Sanders who isn't even a Democrat.

Sanders would run as a Democrat, but not have any meaningful support from the base since that's hard to generate when the media ignores you completely.

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

Franco Potente posted:

Can someone explain why Michael Bennet's name gets thrown around so much for higher office? I've heard him mentioned as a potential presidential candidate a couple times now, and before Schumer got all his ducks lined up, some pundit was even speculating that Bennet would take a run for Dem Senate leader. What is there to him, aside from being relatively young?

He kept his seat in 2010, so he's at least a good campaigner

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente posted:

He can raise massive piles of cash. They didn't make him DSCC chair for nothin'.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Nonsense posted:

This is off the mark, because she is the overwhelming favorite, and it isn't just name-recognition, she has been pummeled, and the Obama administration pummeled with trumped up scandals. She's a fighter. Now she's perfectly free to gently caress all that up and claim she was dodging gun fire on the way to her hearings, however.

She is the overwhelming favorite because there's no other choice, and she has strong experience through her time not only as the first lady but from her time on Obama's staff. I really don't know anyone who sees her as a sympathetic figure, and this is less than an hour away from New York City. Outside of SA I've never seen her even portrayed as such.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Atoramos posted:

She is the overwhelming favorite because there's no other choice, and she has strong experience through her time not only as the first lady but from her time on Obama's staff. I really don't know anyone who sees her as a sympathetic figure, and this is less than an hour away from New York City. Outside of SA I've never seen her even portrayed as such.

Because outside of SA is a lot of dumb bullshit that makes even less sense than the White Power Hour in GBS. Also a lot of the hate for her outside have been attempts by Republicans, especially on reddit to pull the "THE PARTIES THE SAME, DONT VOTE!" poo poo. It's transparent.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
The way Hillary effectively cleared the field by dominating the pre-pre-primary reminds me of what Terry McAuliffe did in Virginia in 2013. There's a lot of the same team too, as I understand it. There was a situation where there were potential candidates in the form of State Senators or former Congresspeople but T-Mac effectively shut them down by rounding up the big money and big endorsements early on, giving no other campaign the breathing room to catch fire.

Atoramos posted:

You have it backwards - there are no other choices because she is the overwhelming favorite. Her gigantic advantage in name recognition and fundraising and her wide network are keeping potential Democratic candidates from even hinting that they might be interested in running in 2016. If you're a viable Presidential contender it doesn't really help you much to run head-long into the Clinton Machine, so folks are saving their ammo for a 2020/2024 run if they can. It's kinda like how a lot of the candidates we're seeing now on the Republican side in 2016 took one look at 2012 and decided they didn't want to square off against Romney's treasure hoard in the primary and/or an incumbent Obama in the general.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It's not like *ten* times the amount, only three.

And I'm sure that Russians are super interested in what an American ex-prez has to say.

And the fact that they stood to gain from the sale of the mine was just a coincidence.

Come on guys, listen to yourselves. Look at what you're defending here.

The question here isn't whether the Russians (or whoever) might have thought that large speaking fees came with additional considerations, it's whether they received additional considerations.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 28, 2015

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Because outside of SA is a lot of dumb bullshit that makes even less sense than the White Power Hour in GBS.

Sure, but if we're claiming she's won the hearts and minds of the public by fighting out of the corner the right put her in, that's a sentiment I feel I would have experienced at least once outside of DnD, be it in any form of media, friends, family, coworkers...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Sure, but if we're claiming she's won the hearts and minds of the public by fighting out of the corner the right put her in, that's a sentiment I feel I would have experienced at least once outside of DnD, be it in any form of media, friends, family, coworkers...

I will not vote for her at all in the primary if I can help it, but even I understand the party is exactly where it wants to be.

Primary's are good, and do not hate on anybody wanting to see different results, I certainly was happy the way '08 turned out, even though that might not happen again for a while.

The Democratic party a bulwark now against the GOP, which is insane. Full Stop.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb endorsed Puerto Rican statehood today. That's the kind of issue I'd like more reporting on. I'd love to hear Rand's take, for instance.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atoramos posted:

I'm not sure how true this is. Really I know a number of conservatives who still think there's some weight to the accusations, and I don't know many liberals who have 'sympathy' for her ability to fight out of the corner. I don't think I know anyone who has sympathy for Clinton, in general she's at-best regarded as the only semi-sane choice.

I dunno, the more I see of the GOP and the media's treatment of Clinton, the more I start to feel just a little bit of sympathy towards her.

I think it's entirely possible there's going to be a backlash against the Clinton-haters at some point.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

The question here isn't whether the Russians (or whoever) might have thought that large speaking fees came with additional considerations, it's whether they received additional considerations.

Bob McDonnell is sitting in jail for two years because the money and gifts he took represented a conflict of interest. The prosecution never established any tangible benefit received.

This is how it goes down for most people.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, the more I see of the GOP and the media's treatment of Clinton, the more I start to feel just a little bit of sympathy towards her.

I think it's entirely possible there's going to be a backlash against the Clinton-haters at some point.

Sure, I won't say there isn't the possibility of this. I would also agree that the party is where it wants to be. I draw the line at saying Hillary has won the nation as a sympathetic fighter, because I think she has a long way to go before anyone can say that.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Franco Potente posted:

He's young, he's white, he's marginally photogenic, he has education reform credentials (whether or not that's a good thing policy-wise), he seems to be well-connected within the party, and as others have mentioned, he can raise massive wads of cash.

Also, in the specific context of Hillary VP discussions, he's from outside of the Northeast, and seems to have been moderately an Obama person rather than a Clinton person, so he would provide balance to the ticket in those senses.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Atoramos posted:

I've heard it from friends, family, etc., so :shrug: anecdotes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DynamicSloth posted:

Sanders would run as a Democrat, but not have any meaningful support from the base since that's hard to generate when the media ignores you completely.

Well, he gets a bit of coverage back home, at least, and I suspect we'll be seeing a bit more national coverage of Bernie after this Thursday.

quote:

VPR News has learned from several sources that independent U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders will announce his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination on Thursday.

Sanders will release a short statement on that day and then hold a major campaign kickoff in Vermont in several weeks.

Sanders' entry into the Democratic race ensures that Hillary Clinton will face a challenge to win the support of the liberal wing of the party.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:siren: Bernie to officially announce Thursday he's running as a Democrat :siren:

And there will be a major campaign kickoff event in a couple week in Vermont (eat poo poo Hampshirites!) making it the first Presidential campaign to begin in the Green Mountain State since Coolidge was sworn in.

edit: :argh:

Parachute
May 18, 2003
That's loving awesome. Even if he has no chance in hell of becoming the nominee, Bernie is the man and I want him to get as much national attention as possible.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

Yes I too wish to know who will sign the "I do not want to be president form," in the coming weeks.

They're going to be President of Real America :patriot:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

That's loving awesome. Even if he has no chance in hell of becoming the nominee, Bernie is the man and I want him to get as much national attention as possible.

Sadly, the media will pay absolutely no attention to Sanders unless he says/does something ridiculous, or says something negative about Hillary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

:siren: Bernie to officially announce Thursday he's running as a Democrat :siren:

And there will be a major campaign kickoff event in a couple week in Vermont (eat poo poo Hampshirites!) making it the first Presidential campaign to begin in the Green Mountain State since Coolidge was sworn in.

Here's hoping he can steer the party's message leftward a little bit.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

You have to admit it really was just a question of which one of us posted it first.

site posted:

Here's hoping he can steer the party's message leftward a little bit.

It seems pretty clear that that's the main reason he's doing this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Could gay rights/religious freedom to discriminate be an election issue? I can see it being talked about in the GOP debates though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now I kind of think there needs to be a debate where Bernie and Trump are just asked to pronounce the word "huge" repeatedly. :munch:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Could gay rights/religious freedom to discriminate be an election issue? I can see it being talked about in the GOP debates though.

I'd say it's pretty likely regardless of how the Supreme Court ends up ruling. I'd be very surprised it if wasn't one of the rings the various GOP candidates have to kiss to get through their primary season, thus making it something they then have to "clarify" or walk back in the general.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Not only did Jeb support Puerto Rico statehood..

SPANISH

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Sanders running is why Warren isn't, it makes so much more sense now. But her name, face and brand will be all over during this cycle as she teams up with Bernie to hammer liberal neo-con hacks like Hillary, so good for him. And here's to Warren 2016.

EDIT: By "team up" I don't mean as VP, but that would be VERY interesting too. I still think she sits this one out.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 28, 2015

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

Edit: I no read good.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

VH4Ever posted:

Sanders running is why Warren isn't, it makes so much more sense now. But her name, face and brand will be all over during this cycle as she teams up with Bernie to hammer liberal neo-con hacks like Hillary, so good for him. And here's to Warren 2016.

EDIT: By "team up" I don't mean as VP, but that would be VERY interesting too. I still think she sits this one out.

I really don't think Warren wants to run ever. I also don't think she'd win if she ran, but that's secondary.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I think people just assume that all politicians want to rise to the highest office possible, but I've not seen any evidence that Warren wants to be President.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

She doesn't and has said as much.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

whydirt posted:

Yeah I think people just assume that all politicians want to rise to the highest office possible, but I've not seen any evidence that Warren wants to be President.

I mean we're all speculating here so it's not like "I'm right and you're wrong" but no one figured she wanted to run for Senate either, before she went ahead and did it. Just saying, anything's possible. And 4 years is a long time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

whydirt posted:

After meeting her, I think she makes a much better legislator than a presidential candidate. She really knows her finance law.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Warren is comfortable in her current position where she doesn't have to care about foreign policy, which she doesn't. She's actually run away from multiple reporters when they've started asking about Israel.

That's not something you can do if you're running for President.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie is currently holding a town hall at Howard University.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

Warren is comfortable in her current position where she doesn't have to care about foreign policy, which she doesn't. She's actually run away from multiple reporters when they've started asking about Israel.

That's not something you can do if you're running for President.
Yeah her boilerplate stance on Israel is about the only thing I disagree with her on

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Bob McDonnell is sitting in jail for two years because the money and gifts he took represented a conflict of interest. The prosecution never established any tangible benefit received.

This is how it goes down for most people.

Except that one of them took gifts that violated the law and one didn't.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

VH4Ever posted:

I mean we're all speculating here so it's not like "I'm right and you're wrong" but no one figured she wanted to run for Senate either, before she went ahead and did it. Just saying, anything's possible. And 4 years is a long time.

Well I think that was partially because she was going to be the head of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Republicans blocked that appointment hard so she just became a senator instead, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr Jaunts posted:

I remember people here talking about Julian being prepped to be Hillary's VP pick, but since he got tapped for HUD I haven't heard much about him. Is there anything really to that?

Not really. He's a younger up and coming politician like Obama was but I don't think either Castro brother has quite the support that Obama had via Kennedy and others. I think if a Dem wins then one of the Castros might try in 8 years unless they simply don't have their eyes set on the White House.

It'd be cool to see him come in to the race, beat Hilary, and then destroy Jeb or whomever the GOP runs but I don't see it happening.

• Locked thread