Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I played like 2 hours of Just Cause 2 and I have no idea how anyone could complete that game. The things you can do get really old really fast and there's so much of it to do. It felt like running around in a bad MMO attacking random enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jon Do posted:

I dunno, I watched the GB Quicklook and wasn't really impressed with the setting. I also heard it was mediocre to bad. Is this not true? If I'm missing out, let me know.

You are considering taking gaming advice from Adam Bowen.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Jon Do posted:

I dunno, I watched the GB Quicklook and wasn't really impressed with the setting. I also heard it was mediocre to bad. Is this not true? If I'm missing out, let me know.

All of the reviews seem glowing except for one complaint, and that's the existence of actual puzzles requiring thought beyond "pick up lever and put in lever shaped hole on the wall"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jon Do posted:

e: Still noone to weigh in on the State of Decay Year One? gently caress it, I'll take the plunge. Trip report at some point.
The first half is really good, I haven't had the time to really play the second half yet though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I played like 2 hours of Just Cause 2 and I have no idea how anyone could complete that game. The things you can do get really old really fast and there's so much of it to do. It felt like running around in a bad MMO attacking random enemies.

I feel like it would be a ton of fun with 3 or 4 other people maybe, but it's basically an early version of Ubisoft's open-world games loaded with poo poo to do that gets boring after about 45 minutes.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Bicyclops posted:

Also "barrel" is a way to say "trash" in the Boston lexicon, so it is funny to me that all of them essentially sound like "garbage bin games" when I refer to them.

Umm... could you elaborate on this? I don't think I've ever heard that, and I live in Boston.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Adam Bowen posted:

I feel like it would be a ton of fun with 3 or 4 other people maybe, but it's basically an early version of Ubisoft's open-world games loaded with poo poo to do that gets boring after about 45 minutes.
There's been a multiplayer mod for the game for a while now, its even available to download off Steam.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

There's been a multiplayer mod for the game for a while now, its even available to download off Steam.

And it's up to 500 people at a time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

pussy riot police posted:

Umm... could you elaborate on this? I don't think I've ever heard that, and I live in Boston.

I don't know, it's just what you call the trash. Like, "Just throw it in the barrel."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_Boston_slang#B

It's one of the few I still hear frequently, along with "Bang a U-ie" and "wicked," now that people have mostly trained themselves out of saying things like "packie" and "tawnic"

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah I know, but it came out long after the initial release I think so I never really got to play it. Looks fun though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah I know, but it came out long after the initial release I think so I never really got to play it. Looks fun though.

It's legal to play games even years after launch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Actually, after several years, your copy mails a letter to EA informing them that you are a video game criminal if you try to keep playing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sure, but nobody I knew was playing it anymore and I wasn't in a rush to play a game I didn't really enjoy with random dipshits :shrug:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is "breakdown lane" really just a Boston thing, or is that Wikipedia horseshit and something the entire country uses? It's impossible to tell anymore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

The only people who like JC2 are people who can spend hours attaching ropes to things and watching them explode, actually trying to finish the game is the exact opposite of fun.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

The only people who like JC2 are people who can spend hours attaching ropes to things and watching them explode, actually trying to finish the game is the exact opposite of fun.

This is was the appeal to grand theft auto 3.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a few days of free time before I have to get back to my fun and rewarding real life. So what are some good games for binge playing released for PC in the last, like, 18 months?

I really liked Cities: Skylines for a few days, but I'm bored with it now. In the past I've really liked Dwarf Fortress, State of Decay, Far Cry whatever. What should I play?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

tuyop posted:

I have a few days of free time before I have to get back to my fun and rewarding real life. So what are some good games for binge playing released for PC in the last, like, 18 months?

I really liked Cities: Skylines for a few days, but I'm bored with it now. In the past I've really liked Dwarf Fortress, State of Decay, Far Cry whatever. What should I play?

Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls, they added Diablo 2 areas into the game now with accompanying lore

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
adam bowen is posting way too much in this thread now. it was better when he just popped up to post some blanket statement about how ignorant he was.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls, they added Diablo 2 areas into the game now with accompanying lore

I always found those games pretty boring. Click on enemies and the ground to get some loot with higher numbers so that you can click on more enemies and press some buttons on the keyboard sometimes. Also, there's lore that I "get" less than the appeal of Taylor Swift.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

tuyop posted:

anything by bethesda with heavy modding, replay value is basically endless at that point

but i'd personally say you should play all three Mother games via emulator

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Is "breakdown lane" really just a Boston thing, or is that Wikipedia horseshit and something the entire country uses? It's impossible to tell anymore.
In NY we call it a shoulder

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I may use more of the Boston lexicon than I am aware, and just sound very strange to someone from outside of the city. More video games should take place in Boston, the hub of civilization and all things great.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Devil May Cry 3 has mods? I dunno if anyone knows about this, but there are some pretty bitchin mods that caused me to reinstall it. Hint: Downsample from 4k. Some textures look old, others scale much better.

Style Switcher
- binds the dpad to switching you between trickster, etc. Also adds a lot of features, noticably removing the fog and stuff like that. Lots of options, fairly varied. You can change certain moves to be cancellable and things like that. There's an xinput fix so that modern controllers work flawlessly without joy2key now. Full analogue. By default you start with all moves and styles, but not items... think that's toggleable. I'm cool with it.

Mod Forum, mostly skins
- Forum layout is difficult, and many not worth downloading, but depending on your taste there are HQ retextures and a UI (though it's not the prettiest, hopefully someone replaces it). Model replacements, largely from the later parts of the series.

I don't know whether this is of interest to anyone anymore but I'm quite excited. I haven't played it properly since my PS2 broke and it's still a drat good game. It looks much better than I expected, downsampled and with the fog removed and lighting/gamma fixed. e: Oh, yeah, you can change the battle music now. Yeah.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 29, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think we need a golden week stylesheet for the games forum whos the one mod left

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Excels posted:

adam bowen is posting way too much in this thread now. it was better when he just popped up to post some blanket statement about how ignorant he was.

He keeps agreeing with me and it's damaing my self-esteem.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Adam Bowen posted:

Sure, but nobody I knew was playing it anymore and I wasn't in a rush to play a game I didn't really enjoy with random dipshits :shrug:

But you're interacting with goons on the forum anyway......

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Borderlands 2 writer Anthony Burch chimes in on Silent Hills' cancellation without even a hint of self-awareness as usual

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

Borderlands 2 writer Anthony Burch chimes in on Silent Hills' cancellation without even a hint of self-awareness as usual

If literally everything Del Toro has made since Pan's Labyrinth is any indication the game would have been terrible without Kojima to balance him out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
*Whoops never mind*

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
You're steam anime surprise

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365170/

There's now a Wakfu anime movie available to purchase on Steam. You might be wondering "since when does steam sell movies?" And apparently the answer is since last month when they started selling a Football Manager Documentary for $11 USD (yes really).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Cardboard Box A posted:

You're steam anime surprise

http://store.steampowered.com/app/365170/

There's now a Wakfu anime movie available to purchase on Steam. You might be wondering "since when does steam sell movies?" And apparently the answer is since last month when they started selling a Football Manager Documentary for $11 USD (yes really).

They've had Indie Game: The Movie for years and even added achievements and DLC to it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Four days after Steam introduced paid mod programs to everyone's chagrin, Valve just pulled it out.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140608-Valve-Ends-Paid-Mod-Program-On-Steam-Workshop

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Wakfu is a french cartoon, but the Ogrest movie did have involvement from Studio Ghibli. I welcome the inclusion of french anime to Steam.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Can't wait for Forza 6

http://gfycat.com/JampackedGargantuanBorzoi

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Four days after Steam introduced paid mod programs to everyone's chagrin, Valve just pulled it out.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140608-Valve-Ends-Paid-Mod-Program-On-Steam-Workshop

I am extremely sad, the death of ES modding communities would have been a net gain for gamers everywhere IMHO

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

CJacobs posted:

There's some C word i should be saying. I just can't...i just can't think of it. I dunno

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

There's some C word i should be saying. I just can't...i just can't think of it. I dunno

oval office? Yeah he's definitely a oval office. I couldn't possibly think of some other word you would associate with anthony burch though, no idea

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

oval office? Yeah he's definitely a oval office. I couldn't possibly think of some other word you would associate with anthony burch though, no idea

He pisses off gamergaters to the point where any mention of him or Borderlands will make a squad of hellthread regulars show up and start passive-aggressively making references to him being cheated on, so he's not all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sleeveless posted:

He pisses off gamergaters to the point where any mention of him or Borderlands will make a squad of hellthread regulars show up and start passive-aggressively making references to him being cheated on, so he's not all bad.
I piss off gamergaters too, but that doesn't make my posts good.

• Locked thread