Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, I thought it was cool, just too balls hard.

It looks like a GBA game, which is cool. Did you do the spritework?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, I thought it was cool, just too balls hard.

It looks like a GBA game, which is cool. Did you do the spritework?

Most of it, yeah. I had some friends help with cleanup stuff (fixing the pixels on automatic rotations, repeating a pattern I started off, etc).

Regarding the fire button thing, could I have more information on that? I'm particularly interested in whether the controls image goes away after you press C, and it just doesn't generate a fireball. I've seen some other bugs mentioned on other sites, but so far this one is unique.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If you ever manage to stop getting exploded you shoot fireballs at him while his shield is down. All you need is C and your mouse.

hold barrels in front of you with Z if you want but it doesn't seem to help much. Luckily Katia seems to be strongly resistance to repeated fireballs to the face; must be that protective layer of fur.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kazerad posted:

Most of it, yeah. I had some friends help with cleanup stuff (fixing the pixels on automatic rotations, repeating a pattern I started off, etc).

Regarding the fire button thing, could I have more information on that? I'm particularly interested in whether the controls image goes away after you press C, and it just doesn't generate a fireball. I've seen some other bugs mentioned on other sites, but so far this one is unique.

Cider did a really good job with that run animation and the flying fist at the end, props to him

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zoe posted:

If you ever manage to stop getting exploded you shoot fireballs at him while his shield is down. All you need is C and your mouse.

hold barrels in front of you with Z if you want but it doesn't seem to help much. Luckily Katia seems to be strongly resistance to repeated fireballs to the face; must be that protective layer of fur.

Blocking shots prevents them from becoming exploding marks on the floor, as well as stopping you from getting hit and being stunned. It's hard as hell to avoid being hit at all, mind you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When you say you got a pin, do you mean the game gave you something? How? Because I got my time down as close to 100 seconds as possible and got nothing. Even doing it as fast as possible (literally mousing over and shooting him as soon as the game starts) wouldn't give me a sub-100 second score without hits.

edit: Whoops, didn't mean to double post!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you can beat it in 105 seconds or less it gives you a form to fill out to get a Quilweave pin mailed to you. Same thing Kaz did with the platforming chase minigame and Katia pins a while back.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Katia decapitated an imp king.

She is not allowed to be unconfident anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gruckles posted:

If you can beat it in 105 seconds or less it gives you a form to fill out to get a Quilweave pin mailed to you. Same thing Kaz did with the platforming chase minigame and Katia pins a while back.

This is unfair, I won't be able to play this game for like 7 hours and all the pins will probably be gone by then.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welp, so much for all that stock.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The promise of a free pin was all I needed to stay up into the wee hours and win me a pin!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When you say you got a pin, do you mean the game gave you something? How? Because I got my time down as close to 100 seconds as possible and got nothing. Even doing it as fast as possible (literally mousing over and shooting him as soon as the game starts) wouldn't give me a sub-100 second score without hits.

edit: Whoops, didn't mean to double post!

Jesus, did you get a pin? Getting below 103 is insane.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Katia's going to have to pay for all the damages, won't she.

Because I do not see the store owner being happy with the very wooden upper floor being torched.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Jesus, did you get a pin? Getting below 103 is insane.

105 is all you need, but it's a mission and a half. More than two hits and you're probably screwed.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Holy poo poo that was difficult to do, mostly because for about 20 minutes I neglected to actually take a shield with me during The Part Where He Shoots You In The Back and kept getting tiny hits here and there.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alright, managed to get my pin in 104 seconds with 2 mistakes. Here's the easiest way to do it:

1. Immediately when the game starts, move directly onto the imp and spam C until he puts his shield up. You need to hit him every time or you won't be able to win in 3 shield timers. I don't know if hitting him before he moves into position counts towards the timer but it can't hurt.
2. Move to the bottom and use the boxes/barrels/basins as shields by standing still until it breaks and then moving and grabbing another one. This will leave you minimal runes on the floor so you can dodge his finger attack.
3. Move up and down to dodge the flame beam (but not too fast or you'll run into it before it's over). Then find a safe place to stand while he's blowing up the remaining runes and spam C.
4. Once he's done move closer (don't get hit by the shield) and spam C to hit him just like you did the first time. If his shield isn't there it's safe to overlap him.
5. For the "part where he shoots you in the back," it is actually more damaging to move into him than to be hit by the flame lines because he will get an extra 2-for-1 hit on you. Stand at the bottom and hold up shields stock-still until the shield goes down. Hit him for 25% of his health again. Then go and do the same thing at the top of the screen. His movement is pre-programmed, not random, so there are safe places every time.
6. Once he's done, repeat step 2 at the top of the screen or wherever you can find barrels, or just dodge the runes as much as you can. You need to step right on to them for them to hit you so they're pretty forgiving.
7. Repeat step 3, while spamming C so that you hit him as soon as his shield goes down.
8. You win. If you got hit 1-3 times you have a good chance of getting the pin. If at any point you're hit more than that, just start over to save time.

It's a neat little Dark Souls-esque boss but pretty rough around the edges. For the most part I like it, though even a single i-frame would be such a blessing (and remove the annoying circumstance where he just stands on top of you for free hits MLG pro 420 erry day). Feline agility is also totally useless. Slow and steady wins the race. Being able to dart over runes without triggering them by moving so fast you get the blur effect would be pretty neat. Whatever, give me my pin.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I did better once I stopped trying to press X instead of C but I don't think I want a pin that badly.

How much is murderboss imp gall worth? Probably not enough to cover the scroll she wasted on top of everything else she owes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well she has the other Khajiit's cut now on top of what she already was getting being enough to pay off the scroll (I think). Selling the big imp's gall too would probably get her a nice cut.

Someone please make an avatar of Katia being stunlocked back and forth.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Squeegy posted:

Well she has the other Khajiit's cut now on top of what she already was getting being enough to pay off the scroll (I think). Selling the big imp's gall too would probably get her a nice cut.

I would be shocked if bitchy-Khajit doesn't try to screw her over here.

Though if nothing else WOW, the ego boost here. The big, tough, badass Khajit pussed out (ha!) and she soloed a big dangerous imp. Maybe it'll cheer her up for a moment.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VictorGrunn posted:

I would be shocked if bitchy-Khajit doesn't try to screw her over here.

Though if nothing else WOW, the ego boost here. The big, tough, badass Khajit pussed out (ha!) and she soloed a big dangerous imp. Maybe it'll cheer her up for a moment.

I would be shocked if she did considering she did what was too much for two Khajiit with only one Khajiit. It's one thing to gently caress her over if she barely escapes with her life. She'd have to be a stupid cat to try to gently caress over someone who killed something she was terrified of.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Katia did just destroy the shop's attic, so I don't think the rewards will exactly be flowing in.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Next update is going to reveal that she was knocked out cold by the imp's first shot, and that everything afterwards was just a dream. :buddy:

JamesB
Feb 22, 2007

Spent half an hour figuring out the fight. All out of pins. Oh well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JamesB posted:

Spent half an hour figuring out the fight. All out of pins. Oh well.

Thank gently caress I managed to get it downloaded through my tethered phone. Congrats, though, that's a pretty good run. I'm 100% positive it's impossible to get it below 100 no matter how well you do.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Rajirra already grabbed the reward and ran I'm sure. Utilizing those khajiit instincts. (not racist)

But hopefully our new self-confident imp-murdering Katia will have no trouble chasing her down and getting it back.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rajirra doesn't want to cause trouble (and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about taking the job in the first place), so I imagine she's just peaced out and left. But yeah, probably not much reward, since there is literally no stock left. :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Well judging by the flash game those were all empty barrels and crates.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

True. And either way, I'd bet money that the fighters guild guy is going to try to recruit her after beating a greater imp single-handedly with a rad fire punch.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There was a bolt of fabric and a mirror, so seven years of bad luck on top of that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zoe posted:

Luckily Katia seems to be strongly resistance to repeated fireballs to the face; must be that protective layer of fur.

Atronach sign actually, she's probably bursting with mana right now.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

umalt posted:

Next update is going to reveal that she was knocked out cold by the imp's first shot, and that everything afterwards was just a dream. :buddy:

But if it was a dream, wouldn't she see the nightmare king?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Rajirra doesn't want to cause trouble (and wasn't particularly enthusiastic about taking the job in the first place), so I imagine she's just peaced out and left. But yeah, probably not much reward, since there is literally no stock left. :(

I dunno, I saw a ball of yarn in there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Brackhar posted:

I dunno, I saw a ball of yarn in there.

The ball of yarn died in service of getting me a sweet pin.

RIP yarn.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zoe posted:

I guess we know the reasons for the delays now though, that was a fantastic update.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah... but I kinda woulda prefered three normal updates instead.

Goddamnit Rajirra. And I bet she's taken her pay, too. Probably ours as well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

MikeJF posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah... but I kinda woulda prefered three normal updates instead.

Goddamnit Rajirra. And I bet she's taken her pay, too. Probably ours as well.

How could she? The job wasn't done when she left and she can't have assumed we actually finished it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Rajirra is a jerk but she strikes me as a relatively principled jerk. I don't think she'd deliberately cut Katia out of the reward, though she might take the money and run assuming Katia is dead. If we see her again I'm sure she won't have any regrets about locking Katia in with the imp lord, and I doubt this victory earns Katia all that much respect either (especially considering she's almost certainly going to make an rear end of herself trying to get some recognition for her accomplishment), but I think at the very least she'll acknowledge Katia earned her share.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I really don't understand the people saying she'll take the money and run. She was being paid the money to clear the imps out of the attic. She did not do that. Why would the shopkeep pay her for running away from the imps?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I would hope that Katia points out that the shopkeeper mentioned two regular imps, not two regular imps and a greater imp, which might also be why she didn't want to hire the fighters guild person, the cheapskate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The best bits, captured for posterity:

Also in avatar form, if there are any takers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I love the gently caress everything avatar but is it possible to fit "Lightning Resist > Fire Magic > gently caress everything" into a single avatar?

• Locked thread