Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sharla at least healed people and put enemies to sleep in my experience, Melia wouldn't even auto attack unless the enemy was right ontop of her. Ah well. Not sure if I want to keep Dunban as my third spot or switch him for Riki now since I don't want to deal with Melia.

Yeah, Melia is a lot of fun to use as your controlled character, especially in the late game when you can use some system mechanics to do silly things with her (my favorite was linking her the ability to wear Heavy Armor and turning her into a moving buff fortress whose foremost desire was to poke things and then dropkick them so hard they fell down, too). However, she's just plain awful when the AI has the reins.

I do want to add +1 to the recommendation that you use everyone as your controlled character at some point. They're all pretty fun to play and have their own cool things they can do and will do better when you're in control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

You should use both Dunban and Riki. There's a reason they are the two party members featured in Shulk's Final Smash.

I don't want to abandon Reyn though....:(

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ibram Gaunt posted:

"Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone? :smith:"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just got my first hacked Mii from HomePass. Special/Gold Pants, impossible face and last played title was Homebrew Test or something like that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cake Attack posted:

SMTIV doesn't even have the best SMT combat system

Honest question, which do you think is better? I'm disqualifying the Devil Survivor games because they're not really the same genre and I'm hard pressed to suggest a better one. Combat in the Persona games is super mediocre and SMTIV seemed like the logical progression of the mainline games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nocturne, probably.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They both use the same basic combat system though?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Grass Effect posted:

Oh, sorry, I should have specified. I was talking about the youtube video posted earlier; the 3DS works just fine for me. I think I'm crossing my eyes the wrong way, and I just can't do it properly.

You don't cross your eyes to use the 3DS' 3D...you just look at it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Seriously, try it. Melia is a blast to use. My favorite party in the game is her, Dunban, and Riki. Try using all three!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Everyone keeps telling me that Shulk's heal is enough to support everyone but I have no idea how since bosses and stuff with AoE abilities just shred everyone. I don't want to use Sharla since Dunban is cooler but this is getting kind of annoying.

If you need some better healing, try Riki. He has a pretty good AoE heal. Otherwise, if you want to get away without a healer at all, it requires some setup. Get everyone kitted up in Agility+ gems (so enemies miss them more), then link the skills from Reyn and Shulk that restore HP to encouraged allies and heal the party in a Chain Attack. It works really well with Dunban because Dunban is meant to be a dodge tank anyway.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

jivjov posted:

He meant to watch the special 3D YouTube video jivjov :geno:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I literally got a streetpass 0 times in my entire life until going to Japan

I work at a middle school and I bring my 3DS to work with me every day and I have never gotten a StreetPass there. What is wrong with kids these days.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tried the fire emblem demo last night, it's pretty fun and scratches that advance wars itch.

Two things though:

1). WHERE ARE THEIR FEET? They just have....hooves?

2) "hey.....uh........yeah........uh........huh?..........hey.........uh............hey..........hmmmm...........hmmmm?..........uh". Could the text parts get any more annoying?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honest question, which do you think is better? I'm disqualifying the Devil Survivor games because they're not really the same genre and I'm hard pressed to suggest a better one. Combat in the Persona games is super mediocre and SMTIV seemed like the logical progression of the mainline games.

Nocturne

I didn't like the lack of defense in SMT:IV. The feast or famine idea is cool and theory and had some cool implications, like the level 75 bosses you could kill in your twenties with the right team, but if you had the first move you could always win without damage, and getting the first move was based on the twitch mechanics on the field, so basically the most important thing in the game was your ability to awkwardly control your dude to hit enemies on the field with your sword instead of them hitting you first.

Also bosses were too easy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Tried the fire emblem demo last night, it's pretty fun and scratches that advance wars itch.

Two things though:

2) "hey.....uh........yeah........uh........huh?..........hey.........uh............hey..........hmmmm...........hmmmm?..........uh". Could the text parts get any more annoying?

you can turn off the sounds

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Two things though:

The feet thing is because IntSys underestimated what the 3DS was capable of so they omitted them thinking that they couldn't spare the polygons but were wrong and now FEif will have feet again. The stock voice clips will never go away, there might be a way to turn them off in options, but you get used to them. If anything, you can just press Start to skip them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grass Effect posted:

Oh, sorry, I should have specified. I was talking about the youtube video posted earlier; the 3DS works just fine for me. I think I'm crossing my eyes the wrong way, and I just can't do it properly.

Yeah crossing your eyes to do 3D is kinda finnicky and you can do it two different ways, so you can do it backwards.

I love Magic Eye 3D thing and even then I don't like crossing my eyes to try to watch 3D Videos. Its just uncomfortable.

jivjov posted:

... yeah. He knows. :doh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In the middle of just a random mob in xenoblade and my entire 3ds locked up and crashed. Haven't saved in a while either, loving hell.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So am I supposed to just have Dunban run around naked if I want to use him as a tank?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No. Load him up with Agility gems.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Should I still go down the wisdom tree for the half hp agi buff and all that then?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I am really enjoying the Xenoblade 3DS port. I never managed to play the Wii original, and felt I missed out on a big thing based on the praise lavished on the game over the years. RPGs that put themselves on mobile consoles are ideal for me, as I do a lot of commuting on public transit, and I like a beefy game with tons to do.

Holy poo poo does this game provide. I've only just gotten to Makna Forest, but I have merrily gone OCD on both all the sidequests, and that 'Collectopedia' bullshit that I'm making harder on myself for dogged refusal to just give up and go on the Internet to find locations for. My save file's at about 30h, and to my understanding I have a shitload more story- and side-content to experience.
I'm a bit more 'old guard' and prefer turn-based 'wait' style rpg's, so for this game's combat style to be fun and accessible for me is a feat.

The textures close up do look like a ruddy mess, which is unfortunate since the game utilizes a lot of close-up shots that showcase this ugly nature with every cutscene. But, I don't care. The panoramas when you get into the huge open areas, the draw distance and environmental visuals are impressive. Just how much raw square footage there is, everywhere, also is impressive. One of the first 'god drat that's cool' moments I had was with getting to Bionis' Leg at night, looking up to see the Mechon's sword arcing overhead above the clouds, and the Mechon's baleful red eyes glowing in the distance. Panning the camera around hardly ever incurs framerate drop, which I think is not for nothing on 3DS hardware. I can compromise with the textures being a bit poo poo.

Maybe not the game's fault, but those faced mechon boss dudes sound just like orcs from Shadows of Mordor, and I can't get that out of my head.
Party members talk too loving much during a fight, and their dialogue tends to make me cringe.

The bottom panel seems really underutilized; most 3ds ports of RPGs tend to enjoy having touch-interaction inventory and map options. The few things we get down there seem to be rushed afterthoughts. And the quest information pane has to be one of the worst ones of any game I've ever seen.

The story's not really gripping me as of yet, but at least as of the point I'm at in here I'm glad that it seems that the game is avoiding some of the most insipid anime tropes. There's no 'lol cooking!' or 'lol dating!' or 'lol high school!' bullshit for a few examples, and the race of moogle knockoffs are relatively unintrusive.

So far it's an rpg game that's slightly marred by a few details that's transcended by what it does well. I'm 8 / 10 on it for now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Grass Effect posted:

You want your left eyeball to look at the left screen and your right eyeball to look at the right screen. When you cross your eyes (which is way easier imo), that gets switched up, so the depth gets reversed.

To do it you want your eyes to unfocus, like if you were looking towards the horizon. I find it helps to make the video a lot smaller (zoom out the screen in chrome, it's like control - on Windows command - on Mac). When you get it to line up you can slowly make the video bigger, once you get it to match it's easier for your eyes to keep focus.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

5er posted:

I am really enjoying the Xenoblade 3DS port. I never managed to play the Wii original, and felt I missed out on a big thing based on the praise lavished on the game over the years. RPGs that put themselves on mobile consoles are ideal for me, as I do a lot of commuting on public transit, and I like a beefy game with tons to do.

Holy poo poo does this game provide. I've only just gotten to Makna Forest, but I have merrily gone OCD on both all the sidequests, and that 'Collectopedia' bullshit that I'm making harder on myself for dogged refusal to just give up and go on the Internet to find locations for. My save file's at about 30h, and to my understanding I have a shitload more story- and side-content to experience.
I'm a bit more 'old guard' and prefer turn-based 'wait' style rpg's, so for this game's combat style to be fun and accessible for me is a feat.

The textures close up do look like a ruddy mess, which is unfortunate since the game utilizes a lot of close-up shots that showcase this ugly nature with every cutscene. But, I don't care. The panoramas when you get into the huge open areas, the draw distance and environmental visuals are impressive. Just how much raw square footage there is, everywhere, also is impressive. One of the first 'god drat that's cool' moments I had was with getting to Bionis' Leg at night, looking up to see the Mechon's sword arcing overhead above the clouds, and the Mechon's baleful red eyes glowing in the distance. Panning the camera around hardly ever incurs framerate drop, which I think is not for nothing on 3DS hardware. I can compromise with the textures being a bit poo poo.

Maybe not the game's fault, but those faced mechon boss dudes sound just like orcs from Shadows of Mordor, and I can't get that out of my head.
Party members talk too loving much during a fight, and their dialogue tends to make me cringe.

The bottom panel seems really underutilized; most 3ds ports of RPGs tend to enjoy having touch-interaction inventory and map options. The few things we get down there seem to be rushed afterthoughts. And the quest information pane has to be one of the worst ones of any game I've ever seen.

The story's not really gripping me as of yet, but at least as of the point I'm at in here I'm glad that it seems that the game is avoiding some of the most insipid anime tropes. There's no 'lol cooking!' or 'lol dating!' or 'lol high school!' bullshit for a few examples, and the race of moogle knockoffs are relatively unintrusive.

So far it's an rpg game that's slightly marred by a few details that's transcended by what it does well. I'm 8 / 10 on it for now.

If Xord sounds like an orc I would have enjoyed the Hobbit Trilogy.
Hey the port team is good at ports, not ideas. Issues this port has still doesn't convey how much stuff there was to do and check.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

You want your left eyeball to look at the left screen and your right eyeball to look at the right screen. When you cross your eyes (which is way easier imo), that gets switched up, so the depth gets reversed.

To do it you want your eyes to unfocus, like if you were looking towards the horizon. I find it helps to make the video a lot smaller (zoom out the screen in chrome, it's like control - on Windows command - on Mac). When you get it to line up you can slowly make the video bigger, once you get it to match it's easier for your eyes to keep focus.

I've found a lot of people just can't do that. Which is a shame, because viewing stereophotography using that method is tons of fun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just to be clear in Xenoblade if I do sidequests and generally overlevel I don't need to worry about builds or optimal gear or anything, right? Because I don't really want to have to micromanage all that stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cake Attack posted:

Nocturne

I didn't like the lack of defense in SMT:IV. The feast or famine idea is cool and theory and had some cool implications, like the level 75 bosses you could kill in your twenties with the right team, but if you had the first move you could always win without damage, and getting the first move was based on the twitch mechanics on the field, so basically the most important thing in the game was your ability to awkwardly control your dude to hit enemies on the field with your sword instead of them hitting you first.

Also bosses were too easy

This is precisely why I liked it. I'm incredibly sick of bosses that I have to slowly chip away at or who the game wants me to face using a certain spell pattern. I don't have time, especially when playing a mobile RPG, to waste half an hour or more on a single boss fight. The twitch mechanics weren't bad and look like they're here to stay, but I've wouldn't even really call them twitch mechanics. It's not exactly a third person brawler where you have to input a frenzy of button presses. You time one button against enemies that mostly move at the same speed the entire game. I'll grant you that it's not 100% turn based combat that is determined by your stats, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

You time one button against enemies that mostly move at the same speed the entire game. I'll grant you that it's not 100% turn based combat that is determined by your stats, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal at all.

Yeah, and that's super boring and simple but it's probably the single most important factor as to how a random encounter goes.

also i don't need bosses to be long, just challenging. I don't think I had to fight a boss more than once after minotaur

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Just to be clear in Xenoblade if I do sidequests and generally overlevel I don't need to worry about builds or optimal gear or anything, right? Because I don't really want to have to micromanage all that stuff.

I got through just fine only changing gear when moving on to new areas, though doing that still resulted in taking twenty minutes to sort through the junk and decide on a gem setup. Still can't decide if it's faster then doing it as I picked stuff up or not.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I got through just fine only changing gear when moving on to new areas, though doing that still resulted in taking twenty minutes to sort through the junk and decide on a gem setup. Still can't decide if it's faster then doing it as I picked stuff up or not.

Jesus christ this is probably one of the worst things about the game, when it's gear management time... but c'est la rpg. I accept it for what it is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

5er posted:

Jesus christ this is probably one of the worst things about the game, when it's gear management time... but c'est la rpg. I accept it for what it is.

Does Square Enix own a patent on the "Optimize" button from 1994's? Final Fantasy 6?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

greatn posted:

Does Square Enix own a patent on the "Optimize" button from 1994's? Final Fantasy 6?

Probably not as it's in Fire Emblem Awakening too

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Fryhtaning posted:

I've found a lot of people just can't do that. Which is a shame, because viewing stereophotography using that method is tons of fun.

YouTube is actually really good about this and lets you swap the eyes so you can do it cross-eyed instead of unfocusing.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

greatn posted:

This works for some games and doesn't work for others. For Xenoblade, it might be troublesome. When you compare different armors or weapons, the gems currently in them increase the stats. A piece of armor that might actually be better appears worse due to a good gem in the weaker armor. Not to mention there are different builds depending if you want light, medium, or heavy armor. Some weapons are more useful for defense and some equipment, while weaker, is preferable because of gem slots of pre-loaded gems.

Is there a way to put this into an optimization option? Maybe, but that's a lot of effort. An optimize button could just give the generally best stuff, but then you don't really care about getting the best build, just a good enough build. Strategy is more important than the best equipment, but going through all your equipment to find the best combination can be fun.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sure, but an "Optimize" option is for people who just want to get on with the game without worrying about what's the best. In Final Fantasy Optimize won't always be giving you the absolute best equips since it's based on stats and ignores any abilities the equipment has, at least in the ones I played, which leads to situations like in FFV where Optimize might hand somebody the Exalipoor, ignoring its "always deal 1 damage" quality.

Basically, it's not for creating optimal builds because the kind of person who's going to use the Optimize button doesn't care about that. They just want to raise the attack/defense of their characters to an acceptable level for the area that they're in. Though like you said, even that wouldn't work in some cases in Xenoblade since Dunban, for example, would want to forgo defense for agility in order to function.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 29, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

SMTIV doesn't even have the best SMT combat system

I'm a little late but the answer is Strange Journey.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I like the SMT games, especially Strange Journey, but I've always hated games that impose some kind of time limit on you, don't let you wander about and aimlessly explore / crush monsters without a potentially dire consequence to your endgame. And I loved Nocturne, but it had a character development system that if you either didn't follow a guide or didn't have amazing instincts, you could gently caress over your build and be incapable of clearing the game.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You are never incapable of clearing the game in Nocturne.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

5er posted:

I like the SMT games, especially Strange Journey, but I've always hated games that impose some kind of time limit on you, don't let you wander about and aimlessly explore / crush monsters without a potentially dire consequence to your endgame. And I loved Nocturne, but it had a character development system that if you either didn't follow a guide or didn't have amazing instincts, you could gently caress over your build and be incapable of clearing the game.

Even if you gimp your build you still have three other demon's to do the heavy lifting for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

5er posted:

Just to give you an idea; You're maybe 1/4 of the way through the game story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Xenoblade, is there a good way to sift through equipment/gems for the build you most want? I find that there's just a tangled mess and I end up selling half my older poo poo just so I don't have to deal with the clutter. This is on the Wii version, by the way.