Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bad with Money: My House is LITERALLY Underwater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Taco Box posted:

I thought the boxster was one of the catostrophic IMS failure cars. That alone plus the porsche tax for everything makes those cars scary.
That too.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

NancyPants posted:

Being from New Orleans.

Yes.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Guy blows $100k inheritance in one year, ends up in more debt than he started with

Highlights:
Had $20/hr job at 18, lives at home, manages to save no money
Quits job because he doesn't like it
Inherits $100k at 19 blows it by 20
Starts with $11k in debt ends with 10k in debt, but is going to school and expects to end with $30k in student loans

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Bugamol posted:

Guy blows $100k inheritance in one year, ends up in more debt than he started with

Highlights:
Starts with $11k in debt ends with 10k in debt, but is going to school and expects to end with $30k in student loans

As an Australian, I can anecdotally say that this is nothing unusual. All my friends are in debt, usually on credit cards.

To be fair, I haven't seen what they would do with a massive inheritance, but I feel that it would be very similar to this. :australia:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bugamol posted:

Highlights:

This is nothing exceptional in Australia, the minimum wage is ~$17 and every supermarket and fast food establishment hires people on a casual basis which entitles them to 25% more, but the trade off is they get no benefits or job security and don't get full time hours every week, so he could have done nothing but work at McDonald's flipping burgers or K-Mart stacking shelves to always have a job earning > $20/hour, but I would also bet :10bux: that he never worked a full 40 hour week either at those jobs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bad with Money: I was looking at my dad's Fidelity account trying to figure out how to do a transfer and apparently he is the proud owner of 1500 shares of Phantom Entertainment. Hey, at least he only paid 6 cents each :cripes:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Sweet jesus that sounds like a terrible choice. A friend of mine wanted to buy a used Boxster so he had me go with him to check it out as I'm the guy who knows more about cars. I told him to pass because it was such a tough car to drive (heavy clutch, heavy steering, bad blind spots with the top up) and he wanted a pleasure vehicle. He ended up with a convertible 350Z which was a much better fit for him.

We told him it wasn't the best choice, but he wanted a fun car for the summer. He makes good enough money and is responsible enough everywhere else that it won't hurt him too bad if it breaks. Just the idea of someone using a Porsche as their learner car for a manual is hilarious.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=897947

quote:

Help on building a SeedBox with a $35,000 USD Budget

I'm a total n00b when it comes to servers! I need guidance on how to build one of these bad boys. While staying under my budget.

I want to build a top of the line SeedBox that can handle 100 users. I need help on what kind of software and hardware I need with prices. I want this to be able to hold a 10Gbits line. (Or 10 1Gbits lines) And security stuff I need like firewall or virus scanner stuff. And Back-Up type stuff like in case of a HD Crash. And how to get 100 different IP addresses. And anything else I'm missing.

And PLEASE PEOPLE no questioning just answers please. Thank you.

I didn't get past the first 3 pages, but this guy won a lottery and was looking at starting a business. He just won't get the idea out of his head that he can't do what he wants to do with the budget that he has.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

quote:

And PLEASE PEOPLE no questioning just answers please. Thank you.

I'm not one to wish ill upon strangers, but holy poo poo does this general phrase always set me off. It's basically a demand to be enabled. It takes a lot of restraint to not just reply "kill yourself" when I see that stuff.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 28, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm not one to wish ill upon strangers, but holy poo poo does this general phrase always set me off. It's basically a demand to be enabled. It takes a lot of restraint to not just reply "kill yourself" when I see that stuff.

Boy, are you in the wrong forum if you care about your blood pressure.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
For $35k he could just genuinely buy copies of any content that he would be hosting on his seedbox, and have enough left over for a sword collection

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knyteguy posted:

I didn't get past the first 3 pages, but this guy won a lottery and was looking at starting a business. He just won't get the idea out of his head that he can't do what he wants to do with the budget that he has.

A "business"

Did he say what kind of "business" he was trying to start?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

That thread is 6 years old apparently.

He posted an update:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=897947&page=4&p=8352569#post8352569

Tl;dr: He didn't make poo poo with his Seeding Server business plan. Now he is a webmaster and goes on expensive vacations.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 28, 2015

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Bugamol posted:

Highlights:

Reading his wall of text, you can actually see his thought process veering back and forth in a feeble attempt to justify his reckless spending.

"I need to get my spending habits in order. But memories are worth more than money, right? Nevertheless, it's time to get serious about my finances, although what do you expect of a young man bent on living life to the fullest?"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Renegret posted:

A "business"

Did he say what kind of "business" he was trying to start?

Seedbox. It's a server setup just for torrent file hosting. The download and upload speeds are usually obscenely fast compared to home connections.

Renting servers from someone else would be a much better idea than setting up a whole datacenter like he was looking to do. At least at first. If you're making millions of dollars then it could be something to consider, but with the current offerings and market saturation that's a big if.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knyteguy posted:

Seedbox. It's a server setup just for torrent file hosting. The download and upload speeds are usually obscenely fast compared to home connections.

Renting servers from someone else would be a much better idea than setting up a whole datacenter like he was looking to do. At least at first. If you're making millions of dollars then it could be something to consider, but with the current offerings and market saturation that's a big if.

My point is some random schmuck who hit the lotto and knows nothing about servers wants to put money into server that can host lots and lots of torrents at high speed and DON"T ASK QUESTIONS sounds sketchy as hell.

I wasn't aware that Seedboxes were a legitimate business, though.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Renegret posted:

My point is some random schmuck who hit the lotto and knows nothing about servers wants to put money into server that can host lots and lots of torrents at high speed and DON"T ASK QUESTIONS sounds sketchy as hell.

I wasn't aware that Seedboxes were a legitimate business, though.

I got the same impression.

Seedbox companies can probably make pretty good money if you can differentiate beyond price (HaaS I guess?). WhatBox would be my guess as the largest.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't know why you'd ever pay for a seedbox when you can just cut out the middleman and pay for the hosting directly.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know why you'd ever pay for a seedbox when you can just cut out the middleman and pay for the hosting directly.

My guess would be ease of use. Instant provisioning, the software is installed already, etc. But yes whatbox charges like $18 for 100gb hd space, 1gbps upstream, and 2 or 3TB transfer. You could find a decent server for 5 bucks more a month and get 4TB hdd array, the same upstream, unmetered transfer, and have resources to host a million other things too.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Of course all this ignores the fact that 99.99% of these boxes host illegal content and that making money off of facilitating copyright violations is generally Bad with Money in terms of legal expenses.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Radbot posted:

Of course all this ignores the fact that 99.99% of these boxes host illegal content and that making money off of facilitating copyright violations is generally Bad with Money in terms of legal expenses.

I think the best bet of doing this legitimately would be to setup a ratio enforced tracker that features open source stuff, and then also have a seedbox company 'sponsor' this site. It's tough to say if it would be worth the effort, but it could be possible to carve out a niche.

But I agree otherwise. Bad with money. Unless you consider potential prison time good w/ money.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Three hots and a cot, unlimited healthcare, 100% free! What's not to like?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Three hots and a cot, unlimited healthcare, 100% free! What's not to like?

Well it's not really free...paying to be incarcerated and eat lovely food is probably not that great with money.

I dunno though...It probably IS cheaper than rent/mortgage/whichever stupid thing we're going to bicker about today.

Cue endless rent/own/be jailed derail

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/personal-finance/corinthian-students-face-tough-choice-discharge-loans-n349711

Bad with money double whammy: go to for-profit school, then have school close down due to terrible programs filled with lies.

Good with money option: have your debt forgiven, but forsake any claim to the credits/transfering. Not that it matters anyways, since reputable schools wouldn't accept those credits. I'm sure some other for-profit schools will be happy to bring them into the fold...

If I had $40,000 or something at a Corinthian college, I would be thanking heavens for the clean break. Several years of your life down the tubes is better than a terrible, worthless degree and a mountain of debt.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Thesaurus posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/personal-finance/corinthian-students-face-tough-choice-discharge-loans-n349711

Bad with money double whammy: go to for-profit school, then have school close down due to terrible programs filled with lies.

Good with money option: have your debt forgiven, but forsake any claim to the credits/transfering. Not that it matters anyways, since reputable schools wouldn't accept those credits. I'm sure some other for-profit schools will be happy to bring them into the fold...

If I had $40,000 or something at a Corinthian college, I would be thanking heavens for the clean break. Several years of your life down the tubes is better than a terrible, worthless degree and a mountain of debt.

CCI's CEO posted:

”We believe that we have attempted to do everything within our power to provide a quality education and an opportunity for a better future for our students,“ said Jack Massimino, Chief Executive Officer of Corinthian. ”Unfortunately the current regulatory environment would not allow us to complete a transaction with several interested parties that would have allowed for a seamless transition for our students. I would like to thank our employees for their selfless dedication and commitment to fulfilling the educational and career goals of all of our students.“

Feds shut down your degree mill designed specifically to fleece the taxpayer of Pell Grant and GI Bill dollars? "Thanks, Obama!"

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Radbot posted:

Feds shut down your degree mill designed specifically to fleece the taxpayer of Pell Grant and GI Bill dollars? "Thanks, Obama!"

I know the family of Heald's CEO and it's been interesting watching them all twist this whole thing into a "woe is me" sort of situation. Sign your petition? No thanks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Senf posted:

I know the family of Heald's CEO and it's been interesting watching them all twist this whole thing into a "woe is me" sort of situation. Sign your petition? No thanks.

In another article they tried to compare their graduation rates with community colleges. Community colleges, that cost a fraction of what Corinthian charges. Community colleges, that have an absolutely horrible graduation rate compared to 4 year universities and a pretty bad success rate compared to the average for-profit college. That's the best defense they could come up with.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Senf posted:

When business succeeds it's due to talent, ingenuity, and hard work.

When it fails, it's because of government regulations, overtaxation, and liberals.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When business succeeds it's due to talent, ingenuity, and hard work.

When it fails, it's because of government regulations, overtaxation, and liberals.

Takes the former to beat the latter, of course.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

In another article they tried to compare their graduation rates with community colleges. Community colleges, that cost a fraction of what Corinthian charges. Community colleges, that have an absolutely horrible graduation rate compared to 4 year universities and a pretty bad success rate compared to the average for-profit college. That's the best defense they could come up with.

And thanks to this, a bunch of students who have already graduated are now coming out and wondering if their degrees are "still good" and/or if they still have to pay their loans back. Yes, your degrees are still "degrees" and your ridiculous loans are still live. Heald just started a new semester last week, too, so a bunch of students recently purchased a poo poo ton of overpriced books for nothing.

Senf fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 29, 2015

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Krispy Kareem posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but don't some people take community college classes without even intending to graduate from a degree program? A lot of them are quite affordable if you just want to learn something new, so it hardly feels like a fair comparison.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Horking Delight posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but don't some people take community college classes without even intending to graduate from a degree program? A lot of them are quite affordable if you just want to learn something new, so it hardly feels like a fair comparison.

I think that's part of the point?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

NancyPants posted:

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/coast/erosion/washaway.html

I feel like this may have been posted before at some point, but

Bad with money, buy a house by the ocean on a beach called washaway...

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Horking Delight posted:

Yes. It's a good way to take a language/literature class (18th century Russian novels, for instance) taught by an expert for cheap. Lots of CCs have classes like glassblowing or metalworking (with a lathe and stuff) that you can take to learn a skill/new hobby.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

You could do that , get a student email and save like $75 a year on Amazon Prime and any other student discounts while learning a hobby, seems like good with money, plus you get access to the school's library and other poo poo too which is always nice. Also throught Running Start I technically could have graduated from a community college, but went to 4-year rather than graduate with an associates degree ( I think I need to take one more class and I have an AA with an emphasis on chemistry).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It Came From Reddit(tm):

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/345ejk/life_threw_a_wrench_in_my_budget_and_i_run_out_of/ posted:

Throwaway.
So I was doing pretty well with finances, but then life happened. My husband lost his well paying job, we had to replace the engine in our car, I had to get a root canal, and all of our savings and extra cash got zapped. Now, according to my budget, we run out of money next month. I can't see a way to cut back. I guess our only option is to make more money? I'd really appreciate another set of eyes and maybe some advice.

Current cash
Me: $900
Husband: $200
Savings: $550

Income
Me: $1,580 take home every 2 weeks. ($3200 per month, excepting extra paycheck months) This is after taxes, after 401k, insurance, etc. 15% is auto deposited into a savings account. This brings the total deposited into my account to ~$2,680/month.
Husband: $1,200 per month. However, he doesn't get his first paycheck until June. He also has to take a month off in August because of something legal with keeping him "part time."
Total: $3,880

Debt
Credit Card: $1,500 to be paid off next billing cycle
Motorcycle: $1,400 remaining, paid off in June ($224/month + remaining balance paid in June)
Student Loans: $1,200 per month, $60,000 total
Total: $1500/month until bike paid off, then $1,200

Living Expenses
Rent: $1,095
Power: $120
Gas: $50
Phone: $180
Car Insurance: $140
Bike Insurance: $85
Renter Insurance: $45
Internet: $60
Groceries: $600
Gym/Prescriptions/Other Health: $100
Gasoline: $300
Vehicle Repair: $50
Tithe: $150
Netflix: $15
Total: $3,000

This means our net income is -$320, starting in July. Obviously this isn't sustainable. I can delay paying off the credit card and the bike, but that just delays the inevitable, and earns me a bunch of interest. My husband's current job, like I said, is part time. He has a hard cap at 29 hours a week, with the requirement to take a month off so that the school can avoid benefits.

He has a side job at a shop, that is going to pay him when he finishes the work they have for him (deadline is end of May), but we have no idea how much he is getting paid, and to be honest if he is getting paid. This is something he has tried to nail down, but the shop owner isn't willing to commit to something definite until he gets payments from the customer the job is for. He spends the rest of his time at this shop working towards that deadline. Once the job is complete, he is either going to find a second part time job, or continue working at this shop.

I am not allowed to get a second job with the job that I currently have.

And then as far as expenses go, we can't get out of our lease. We looked for something less expensive when our lease was renewing, but we were unable to find something for less that also had a garage/workspace, which we must have for our vehicles, as well as for my husband's work. I think if we break our lease, we are responsible for the remaining payments anyway.

Utilities feels pretty hard, we've tried to go less data on our phone bill, but every month we have to bump the data back up anyway. Insurance is high, but my husband has had several speeding tickets, and I had an accident a few years ago. Every month we try to focus really hard on cutting down our food budget. We used to easily spend twice what we are spending now...but I honestly can't see us reasonably doing less than $600. Gas is another big expense, but my husband's job is across the city and then some, and then his second job is on the OTHER other side, and he basically makes a giant triangle every day. I think it's something like 60-70 miles round trip?

I don't know where else to cut, or how else to bring in extra money. My husband is working 12-14 hours a day (including commute time) so he doesn't have time for a third job...and I wouldn't ask that of him.
Help?

*EDIT:
Thanks for your replies so far. To clarify a few things though: *

My husband uses the motorcycle as his main form of transportation.

We can't get away with wifi only, since I need data for work, and he needs it for navigation since he's hopeless with directions. We can certainly work on reducing unnecessary data usage though. I also learned from my husband that he uses his personal hotspot whenever he doesn't have good wifi. That's going to stop.

I can reduce the amount that I tithe, but I don't think I am willing to stop completely. I may look into a time donation instead though. I think I'd be comfortable with that.

Groceries include things like tp, kitty litter, shampoo, detergent. I also probably need to keep a closer eye on my husband's accounts because he just informed me he often just grabs lunch if he doesn't have the time to make it in the AM. So he probably spends $100-$150 a month on that. ~$50 is for the 1-2 times we go out to eat together, and probably $50 on the non food items. I'll start putting my foot down harder on his food spending.

I can't get a second job because my work requires me to be on call at all times.

I'm going to have a tough discussion with my husband about his work situation. I agree we need a contract, and I've been trying to get him to get something set in stone, but he has hesitations for some reason. I think it might be because he's had trouble with keeping jobs. Whenever he has a financial discussion with his boss, his boss has fired him. He's been through this 4-5 times in the last two years, so he probably has some reservations from that.

So I can cut: $100/food $100/tithe $40/cell phone And then drop my savings from 15% to 10% This plus having my husband go on unemployment during August when he's forced to take a break, I think puts us okay again.
Thank you guys for your hard words and forcing me to take a look at what was really necessary.
I highly recommend going to the original thread. It features a lot of arguing against the advice they were asking for.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wouldn't just cutting the savings and the tithe bring them to neutral cash flow? :psyduck:

The husband's employment situation is either :laffo: or :smith: I can't decide.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

You could do that , get a student email and save like $75 a year on Amazon Prime and any other student discounts while learning a hobby, seems like good with money, plus you get access to the school's library and other poo poo too which is always nice. Also throught Running Start I technically could have graduated from a community college, but went to 4-year rather than graduate with an associates degree ( I think I need to take one more class and I have an AA with an emphasis on chemistry).

Yeah, I was surprised how much my lone $330 community college class got me: aforementioned Amazon Prime Student, Lynda.com access, and a number of other perks. Also a pretty interesting online Intro to the Short Story class :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

It Came From Reddit(tm):

I highly recommend going to the original thread. It features a lot of arguing against the advice they were asking for.
Diagnosis: dumb rear end husband. If finances are tight he needs to drop that ridiculous shop 'job'. Buddy needs a full time job. Even a terrible full time job would pay better than $1200 per month.

• Locked thread