Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Maybe a skill that applies a damage buff following a successful parry would be good?

A riposte-type skill and improved blocking would go a really long way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So with my computer specs I'm kinda surprised I get dips into the upper 40s/low 50s FPS when action gets intense on all settings maxed. I have a gtx 970, a i5 2500 k, and 8 GBs ram. Is a 970 really not able to handle this game fully maxed out or is it time to get a new processor and more ram and I should be good?

turn off texture streaming, try that

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Linx posted:

For anyone wanting to mess about with this, you're looking for "MaxDeadBodies=*" in KFGame.ini

That should go in the OP. I tried setting mine to 50 last night and while it was playable my computer definitely was chugging while I waded through piles of bodies.

I finally found time to play the game after the closed beta. Still fun but I miss my +10 level medic. Starting off at zero again reminds me of how not tanky I am.

Had an interesting game last night where a couple of pubbies were talking about signing a petition to have Tripwire not do stat resets. And another game afterwards where a level 22 medic ran off on his own every time and never healed anyone. Had the sole job of keeping a commando and support alive while also taking out the scrakes and fleshpounds. The one saving grace was that I had a great :black101: moment where the commando had aggro'd a fleshpound and was running for the hallways in Biotech. I followed to keep him healed and he got stuck in a corner by the FP. Threw down a heal nade and as I turned around another FP was in my face as well as a Scrake. Queue me throwing another heal nade down and proceeding to empty all my medic shotgun ammo and half my smg ammo taking all three out. Commando lived through it all too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Revolver Bunker posted:

That should go in the OP. I tried setting mine to 50 last night and while it was playable my computer definitely was chugging while I waded through piles of bodies.

I finally found time to play the game after the closed beta. Still fun but I miss my +10 level medic. Starting off at zero again reminds me of how not tanky I am.

Had an interesting game last night where a couple of pubbies were talking about signing a petition to have Tripwire not do stat resets. And another game afterwards where a level 22 medic ran off on his own every time and never healed anyone. Had the sole job of keeping a commando and support alive while also taking out the scrakes and fleshpounds. The one saving grace was that I had a great :black101: moment where the commando had aggro'd a fleshpound and was running for the hallways in Biotech. I followed to keep him healed and he got stuck in a corner by the FP. Threw down a heal nade and as I turned around another FP was in my face as well as a Scrake. Queue me throwing another heal nade down and proceeding to empty all my medic shotgun ammo and half my smg ammo taking all three out. Commando lived through it all too.

This sort of thing reminds me that in the end, Level means nothing but time, not skill. (A fact I find myself face with personally at times :downs:) Good on you for being a helpful badass.

Bring on the EA and launch stat resets. Particularly because I can see it giving more incentive to try new classes, instead of ignoring firebug or SWAT when it comes out because people who make me look like a pro at this game by comparison will stick with their level 25 medic and never heal anyone but themselves.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I had a level 21 berserker last night who was asking what EMP grenades did and died every single wave

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
EMP grenades were a really cool idea for the Berserker, actually.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To be fair, where would I find info about parrying and grenades? it's not like I've got a ton of time to read tool tips.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The last tier of skills look good, but everything else, save for the one that makes you immune to clot grabs, is really bad. Clot grab immunity is fantastic, but it doesn't make up for the uselessness of everything else. I didn't play KF1, so I can't make any comparisons, but it seems like here, even if you play relatively skillfully, you don't have much that lets you capitalize on said play. Maybe a skill that applies a damage buff following a successful parry would be good?

Last tier of skills only apply during zed time so they're fairly poo poo.

Just had my worst boss performance, Hans was facing away so I begin my approach to him when I'm close he does an instant 180, unloads once with his machine guns on me followed by a melee and kills me. :smith:

EMP nades are awesome yea, they allow safe approach or prevent a siren bomb from murdering everyone.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
You should be able to parry Han's machine guns if you spam the parry key really quickly.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So with my computer specs I'm kinda surprised I get dips into the upper 40s/low 50s FPS when action gets intense on all settings maxed. I have a gtx 970, a i5 2500 k, and 8 GBs ram. Is a 970 really not able to handle this game fully maxed out or is it time to get a new processor and more ram and I should be good?

The 970 and the ram should be good for max settings, I have the same but an i7 and it's all smooth unless I crank corpse count way up. If turning off streaming textures as someone suggested doesn't do it for you it's probably the cpu that needs some love.

Finally starting to get the hang of taking on Scrakes and FPs on Hard with zerker as long as I have some space and my team mates don't bodyblock my little dance routine. Still not loving the Eviscerator but I can definitely see it becoming a lot more powerful with more levels under my belt, it's feels significantly more effective at lvl 11 compared to at lvl 5 when I started doing Hard. Also caved in Hans skull for the final blow with the Pulverizer a few times now and that's about as satisfying as it gets.

One week of early access and I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth already.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Zerk is actually really good when you level it. The ones I've been playing with on HOE have made it possible for us to get as far as we do. It requires a medic though.

I'm not good at it though, but my zerk is only level 8.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Fina posted:

You should be able to parry Han's machine guns if you spam the parry key really quickly.

But only with the katana.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Opposing Farce posted:

But only with the katana.

you should be able to cut the bullets in mid-air, no blocking required

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fina posted:

I could have parried his melee but I took so damage I was in full RETREAT mode.

quote:

Zerk is actually really good when you level it. The ones I've been playing with on HOE have made it possible for us to get as far as we do. It requires a medic though.

A zerk is only as good as is teammates, chances are the HoE players are just super good and help each other so nobody gets overwhelmed, keep the trash off the zerk, etc.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Fina posted:

Just make the 11th perk MGR Raiden

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Is that confirmed? The 25 skills only applying during zed time, that is. Because some of them don't make a drat bit of sense. How does increased armor work, every time you go into zed time you can pick up armor for 125 instead of 100? You just magically get temporary armor every time you pop zed time?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Realtime Reflections (and I think DoF) will kill your frames.

Also go into nvidia CP and make sure that adaptive power mode isn't on.

Martout posted:

The 970 and the ram should be good for max settings, I have the same but an i7 and it's all smooth unless I crank corpse count way up. If turning off streaming textures as someone suggested doesn't do it for you it's probably the cpu that needs some love.

This game isn't that CPU intensive, I really really doubt going from an i5 to an i7 (or even to a newer i5) would make a difference.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 29, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Alteisen posted:

Last tier of skills only apply during zed time so they're fairly poo poo.

Just had my worst boss performance, Hans was facing away so I begin my approach to him when I'm close he does an instant 180, unloads once with his machine guns on me followed by a melee and kills me. :smith:

EMP nades are awesome yea, they allow safe approach or prevent a siren bomb from murdering everyone.

Hahahaha you've got to be loving kidding me. Increased health during zed time only? Ahahahaha.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Some of the Zed time perks are awful, plain awful.

That Commando perk that lets you fire at normal speed during slow mo though? Holy poo poo.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zed-time stuff really only makes sense for commando, considering they extend it

even then it seems bad as a final-tier

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Psion posted:

Is that confirmed? The 25 skills only applying during zed time, that is. Because some of them don't make a drat bit of sense. How does increased armor work, every time you go into zed time you can pick up armor for 125 instead of 100? You just magically get temporary armor every time you pop zed time?

Yup. I was super excited for the medic stun one, but being relegated to only working during zed time makes it pretty useless.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hahahaha you've got to be loving kidding me. Increased health during zed time only? Ahahahaha.

And damage and speed, lots of great buffs that could be neat passives and would make sense as a capstone skill, but nope, zed only, I believe all the level 25 perks are zed time only.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
Could use goons in the goon server tia

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Yeah, I was wondering about those. Is 5% armor only during Zed time some sort of gag, jape or goof-'em-up?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've wondered if they've considered making some talent strengths tied to your level instead of being a flat bonus and allowing to really tweak your class. Some of the level 5/10 talents really suck and I think that is because they don't want to make them so powerful at a low level.

For example with Medic's Healing Surge talent that increases health by 20% could instead increase health by 10% + 1% * level for a talent that is a little less powerful to start but grows with the perk as you gain levels and gives you better bonuses as you move into the higher difficulties.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I think it's safe to say that since the game is in EA, ALL of the perks/skills could use a complete overhaul and reworking.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For zerk I was thinking they could have the left side be like damage passives and the right be toughness stuff, that way you can build glass cannon or a tank, or a mix but not quite as effective of the two.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Leveling zerker in a room with more than zero other players is an exercise in frustration. I just left a round because the four people I was with were deliberately focus-firing in front of me so I never got kills. gently caress that, there's a good reason it was my last max level in KF1.

e: the actual playing of it is a blast though, the explosive hammer is extremely cool

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Skoll posted:

I think it's safe to say that since the game is in EA, ALL of the perks/skills could use a complete overhaul and reworking.
This is especially true considering there are still a lot more classes and associated perks to come, and those synergies will require a ton of balance/role tuning for existing perks. Which is probably when some XP resets might happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Generally, the good perks either boost defense or offense all the time. The bad perks are conditional or utility buffs. If a perk isn't active 100% of the time, then it needs to be pretty drat strong to make up for that. The zed time perks are pretty much bad jokes, aside from the commando one. If the others each gave the ability to do something at normal speed during zed time like movement, healing or reloading they would be great. Defenses don't matter during zed time at all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still think taking the Commando's backup perk and giving something like it to the Berzerker as a replacement for either lovely level 5 talent would be cool.

That lawnmower blade might actually see some use ever then. Maybe. Okay even +40% damage to the lawnmower blade wouldn't be enough to use it over any other Zerker melee, particularly as the levels go up...

I just feel like it's such a waste that the melee perk has so little reason to use it's basic melee weapon, you know?

EDIT: Done in by my inability to walk past a single decapitated enemy blocking a doorway again :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 29, 2015

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Section Z posted:

I still think taking the Commando's backup perk and giving something like it to the Berzerker as a replacement for either lovely level 5 talent would be cool.

That lawnmower blade might actually see some use ever then. Maybe. Okay even +40% damage to the lawnmower blade wouldn't be enough to use it over any other Zerker melee, particularly as the levels go up...

I just feel like it's such a waste that the melee perk has so little reason to use it's basic melee weapon, you know?

Yeah I agree, Backup would make a lot more sense on Zerk. It would both boost the least-used melee weapon of the melee weapon class, and boost the only ranged weapon they're guaranteed to carry.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Am I missing something or what's wrong with the Zerker skill that makes Zeds do 25%* less damage after you hit them

*It's listed as 15% but according to the spreadsheet of the dude who datamined everything it does 25% apparently

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Everyone needs to have a default melee weapon, but there is no reason to incentivize using it for berserker since they automatically start with an upgrade. Berserkers generally need the same stuff as everyone else- survivability and single/multi-target offense.

So then, what do berserkers need perk-wise?
-Attack damage, attack speed and movement speed are already covered by their passives. If any of those are insufficient, then the amount per level needs to be adjusted instead of using a perk.
-They clearly don't need night vision or more starting ammo. Higher max ammo is certainly an option, as it would be for absolutely any class that uses ammo.
-Staggering is only useful for berserkers while using the nailgun, because if they are in melee range of something they can't quickly kill they should be parrying instead of trying to stagger it with damage. Conversely, the ability to stagger things with bullets is highly desirable for other classes, but I don't believe any of them get perks to that effect.
-The most obvious thing would be a bonus to parrying of some sort. Parrying is an optional system, and if you use an eviscerator you obviously don't parry. So, a choice between parrying and something that would benefit eviscerator use would be great.
-A choice between more siren and more bloat resistance would be a pretty good low-level perk, as well as incredibly easy to implement.
-Defense. Defense defense defense defense. Health, armor, damage resistance, I don't care. Berserker is too squishy.

Any other ideas?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Serious Frolicking posted:

Everyone needs to have a default melee weapon, but there is no reason to incentivize using it for berserker since they automatically start with an upgrade. Berserkers generally need the same stuff as everyone else- survivability and single/multi-target offense.

So then, what do berserkers need perk-wise?
-Attack damage, attack speed and movement speed are already covered by their passives. If any of those are insufficient, then the amount per level needs to be adjusted instead of using a perk.
-They clearly don't need night vision or more starting ammo. Higher max ammo is certainly an option, as it would be for absolutely any class that uses ammo.
-Staggering is only useful for berserkers while using the nailgun, because if they are in melee range of something they can't quickly kill they should be parrying instead of trying to stagger it with damage. Conversely, the ability to stagger things with bullets is highly desirable for other classes, but I don't believe any of them get perks to that effect.
-The most obvious thing would be a bonus to parrying of some sort. Parrying is an optional system, and if you use an eviscerator you obviously don't parry. So, a choice between parrying and something that would benefit eviscerator use would be great.
-A choice between more siren and more bloat resistance would be a pretty good low-level perk, as well as incredibly easy to implement.
-Defense. Defense defense defense defense. Health, armor, damage resistance, I don't care. Berserker is too squishy.

Any other ideas?

The knife should be bigger and better in general. It is never ever worth using.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Insert name here posted:

Am I missing something or what's wrong with the Zerker skill that makes Zeds do 25%* less damage after you hit them

*It's listed as 15% but according to the spreadsheet of the dude who datamined everything it does 25% apparently

It's not as bad as a basically everything else, and I guess it might help a little bit with Scrakes and Pounds. But everything else is probably dying in a single blow or two, before they can attack, and Scrakes and Pounds will still gently caress your poo poo up, even with a 25% damage reduction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It is only there so that you can in theory kill poo poo when you are completely out of ammo. The basic idea of kf is that as long as you survive, you can kill anything eventually. The knife is the backup to your backup, not a viable weapon. You are supposed to buy the viable weapons. Heck, circling the map looking for starter weapon spawns is a better idea than trying to kill stuff with the knife.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Parrying Scrakes with the medic's tiny little scalpel is its own reward

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

It is only there so that you can in theory kill poo poo when you are completely out of ammo. The basic idea of kf is that as long as you survive, you can kill anything eventually. The knife is the backup to your backup, not a viable weapon. You are supposed to buy the viable weapons. Heck, circling the map looking for starter weapon spawns is a better idea than trying to kill stuff with the knife.

Berserker starts with a Crovel, and should probably always have a melee weapon superior to the knife. It ends up being totally irrelevant for berserkers because the other melee weapons don't run out of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

:siren: warning: bullshit :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxsj2NH_S4

We were playing on Hard, not HOE. :(