Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

I don't even drink and this makes me want a Guinness, and I want a print of this poster for my wall.

Why can't advertising be simple anymore? What's wrong with "[product] is good! Try it!" as a philosophy? They don't need controversy and other bullshit to make a sale, they just need to make people aware of their product and intrigue them a bit.

Instead we have light beers that insinuate they'll make you more amiable to dangerous (rapey) behavior and energy drinks that are sold entirely on the amazing torsos of their advertising models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't worry, Jezebel is on the case.

"Ideally, what I’d like out of this is several free 30-racks and a promise that they will hire at least one woman or even one non-idiot to help out at the Budweiser copy desk: how many people do you think this label had to go through without anyone side-eyeing it to the grave?

Oh, by the way, I wrote this post in approximately 10 minutes, which means 5 humans in America were raped from the time I started till the time I was done :)"

Apparently the new Bud Light bottles have several different wrappers, and this is one of them. Much like how Tootsie Pops have the Indian (trigger warning sorry) Native American shooting an arrow at a star.

I can't help but feel like you just didn't care much at the beginning, which is whatever, but now you're doubling down on this whole "Hah you idiots just can't take a joke like me, jokemaster GoGoGadgetChris" to save face

Either way you just look like an rear end in a top hat

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

hyperhazard posted:

Budweiser got in trouble back in the day for Spuds MacKenzie, because having a cool party dog was seen as marketing the product to children.

Now, instead, they have adorable lost puppies finding their way home. :cheers:

99% of kids grow up to drink beers so who cares imo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I can't help but feel like you just didn't care much at the beginning, which is whatever, but now you're doubling down on this whole "Hah you idiots just can't take a joke like me, jokemaster GoGoGadgetChris" to save face

Either way you just look like an rear end in a top hat

Sincerely sorry to have offended you. All I meant to say was that it didn't seem that bad to me, but yeah I did end up talking about Ferguson and Native Americans and Irish Jews and that was uncalled for.

I get that the slogan calls to mind "no means no", I just don't think it's actually causing anyone duress. All discussion of it seems to be "someone might be offended by this" rather than someone actually being offended?

Either way sorry to be a cock but I still think it's mountains from mole hills.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pick posted:

They wanted something a little more sinister than "piss goes in, piss comes out."

You're hired!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sincerely sorry to have offended you. All I meant to say was that it didn't seem that bad to me, but yeah I did end up talking about Ferguson and Native Americans and Irish Jews and that was uncalled for.

I get that the slogan calls to mind "no means no", I just don't think it's actually causing anyone duress. All discussion of it seems to be "someone might be offended by this" rather than someone actually being offended?

I wasn't trying to make a federal case out of it or anything, I just got a laugh of out how you'd think such a large company wouldn't make such an unfortunate choice for their marketing. I mean, that's the point of the thread, right?

I do get pissing off Zaphod. That's good fun.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Why can't advertising be simple anymore? What's wrong with "[product] is good! Try it!" as a philosophy? They don't need controversy and other bullshit to make a sale, they just need to make people aware of their product and intrigue them a bit.

Vintage ads are the best. :allears:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"I'm lovin' it" ~a rapist

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
"Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman." :stare:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Karma Monkey posted:

"Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman." :stare:

Slogan for my wife's vibrator. It was :stare:

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

hyperhazard posted:

Budweiser got in trouble back in the day for Spuds MacKenzie, because having a cool party dog was seen as marketing the product to children.

Oh man that dog was the bane of my high school's administration. They had to move detention to the lunchroom for a while because too many of us were getting busted for wearing Spuds shirts to school. The Thing to Do became hiding your Budweiser t-shirt under a sweater or jacket so you could flash it when faculty weren't looking.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really want to believe that consisted of DMSO and heroin.

I will admit to knowing nothing about DMSO beyond the Dead Kennedys song.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

Slogan for my wife's vibrator. It was :stare:

So what were you doing with your wife's vibrator?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thunderfinger posted:

CATTASTIC has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Apr 29, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Thunderfinger posted:

Literally shaking

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

duckmaster posted:

This would have been an excellent point well made if you hadn't followed it up by telling us you live near a donut restaurant.

OK. I'm not trying to be defensive, but I'll be defensive anyway.

It's not a doughnut restaurant. It's a commercial doughnut manufacturer that happens to have coffee and pastries available with a dining room up front because it happens to be part of the space. They're only open until about 10 AM at the latest. They're usually out by 9ish. Most of their product is shipped to restaurants.

My kids call it the doughnut store. We go there every few months. I prefer J's myself. If you're from Burnsville, you know where it is and you know you've eaten there. Don't be afraid, you know it's awesome.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Karma Monkey posted:

A little something for the men as well ;-*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Camel is trying to keep up with Bud Light :doh:

hyperhazard posted:

I love both the Simpsons and Futurama takes on Spuds MacKenzie (Suds McDuff and Slurms MacKenzie)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

Camel is trying to keep up with Bud Light :doh:

I love both the Simpsons and Futurama takes on Spuds MacKenzie (Suds McDuff and Slurms MacKenzie)

Poor Slurms :911:

Party on man :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Thunderfinger posted:

It was strong enough for me. Too strong, really. I was Bull Hurley, and the vibrator was Sylvester Stallone. It went "over the top" as it were.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Karma Monkey posted:

Apparently it still exists.

hyperhazard posted:

A little something for the men as well ;-*

Indeed.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't worry, you're fine. The internet is full of turds so far out of every marketing demographic the real world couldn't see them with a telescope. No one except offense-enthusiast garbage children would interpret that slogan in a rapey way.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It certainly was a dumb move in marketing.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Elfface posted:

Isn't Light Beer low alcohol content? Why are they giving that a slogan which is basically "You'll get drunk and do stupid poo poo" when presumably light is for people who don't want to get drunk, or at least not so easily?

Dunno if you're serious or not, but light beer in the States is "light coloured" beer, larger and such, usually still 4-5%.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Davfff posted:

Dunno if you're serious or not, but light beer in the States is "light coloured" beer, larger and such, usually still 4-5%.

Ummm, no, fairly sure the difference is calories, and since most of the calories in beer are from alcohol, lower alcohol content

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_beer

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

Ummm, no, fairly sure the difference is calories, and since most of the calories in beer are from alcohol, lower alcohol content

Kinda. Lite beer has about 20% less alcohol, but 40% less calories. It's still a better diet proposition for getting drunk, but if you're at the point of trying to figure out how to get drunk within your diet you probably have bigger problems than that gut.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

That link uses Bud Light as an example to show that it can mean lower calories.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Well, you learn something every day. Wasn't wrong about the %ge but didn't realise it was related to calories...

Over here, a light beer is around 2%.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Bud light: ladies, drink this if you wanna get raped

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We're not offended by it, we know they don't mean it in a rapey way. We're saying it calls that to mind, which makes people think of it when deciding whether or not to buy your product. Which is a dumb move.

It's like... If your car advert focuses too much on safety, it reminds people of car accidents. Sure, you're saying that your car is safer, but people are still thinking about danger at the time, which puts them off.

And yeah, I did think light beer was lower alcohol percentage.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
Here in Northwestern Canada, we would call lower alcohol "near beer" which has .05% alcohol content and is sold in supermarkets. Real beer (5-10%) is in liquor stores. Never heard of 2%.

As for dumb marketing, didn't the Taco Bell dog fail completely? Like everyone was aware of it but the connotation of "Mexican rat-dogs LOVE it!" actually lowered sales.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

artsy fartsy posted:

Why don't all companies everywhere just put cute animals in their ads and on packaging, it's completely safe and there's like 5 things I can see in my living room right now that I bought strictly because there was a cute dog.

On the other hand, I will never buy Cottonelle toilet paper specifically because of the dog on the ads/packs. I just find the association of a cute puppy with toilet paper subtly disgusting.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

On the other hand, I will never buy Cottonelle toilet paper specifically because of the dog on the ads/packs. I just find the association of a cute puppy with toilet paper subtly disgusting.

What about angel soft, they have babies on the packaging :madmax:

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008
i buy the one with the anthropomorphised toilet rolls on the packaging. what does that say?

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
I buy the toilet paper with the squirrels on them. So, uh, I'm not sure why squirrels are associated with wiping your arse, maybe trees or something?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

On the topic of toilet paper, I hate how Charmin is trying to re-brand TP into "bathroom tissue". It even comes complete with a momma bear smiling happily as she watches her cub take a dump.

I mean, I get it but this is paper that wipes poo poo off your rear end in a top hat. How cute and fluffy do you possibly think you can make it?

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Apr 29, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ubergnu posted:

I buy the toilet paper with the squirrels on them. So, uh, I'm not sure why squirrels are associated with wiping your arse, maybe trees or something?

You've never been a boy scout then?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There was an NPR segment a few weeks back where a guy was trying to convince everyone to stop with toilet paper and start using baby wipes. The logic he used is "if you're out in the garden and get mud all over your hands you'll go use soap and water. Yet when it comes to poop dry paper is what we use? That's madness."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Good to see you could count on Radium if you wanted to get screwed even back in the '20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Len posted:

There was an NPR segment a few weeks back where a guy was trying to convince everyone to stop with toilet paper and start using baby wipes. The logic he used is "if you're out in the garden and get mud all over your hands you'll go use soap and water. Yet when it comes to poop dry paper is what we use? That's madness."

Yeah I'll accept his logic the next time I open a door and fix a sandwich solely with my rear end.