Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kabanaw posted:

I'm saying that wizards is unwilling to put the time, effort, or money into making their stream look and sound good, like MTGO. The audio cutting out wasn't due to the stream buffering which means it was probably on their end, not twitch's, and Randy could use a better mic, both things controllable by Wizards.

Although I tuned back in and it does sound better now, but it was really rough at the beginning.

Its Randy's Skype connection. This is really grasping at straws. Even if the Twitch connection was bad, WOTC doesn't *own* it - they're just letting Randy use their official page to stream some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, what is this Standard Super League? I'm unfamiliar with the thing

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Kibler seems to be playing the G/B deck he posted a video for today on SCG. He won his 8-man with it, so that should be interesting.

0 answers to a resolved Whip seems not great, though.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the deck lists http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/standard-super-league-decklists-week-1-2015-04-28

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Siege Rhino seems like a good card. I wonder why no one is playing it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Veyrall posted:

Most high level players agree that it's an extremely high level skill testing card, and it's mentally taxing to play a card like that over the course of multiple rounds or even an entire weekend. Plus nobody wants to be caught making misplays on camera, so you see all but the most confident of players shying away from these complex cards and deck types like "g/b/x" or "red cards."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veyrall posted:

Control's fault.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Most high level players agree that it's an extremely high level skill testing card, and it's mentally taxing to play a card like that over the course of multiple rounds or even an entire weekend. Plus nobody wants to be caught making misplays on camera, so you see all but the most confident of players shying away from these complex cards and deck types like "g/b/x" or "red cards."

lol

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Angry Grimace posted:

Its Randy's Skype connection. This is really grasping at straws. Even if the Twitch connection was bad, WOTC doesn't *own* it - they're just letting Randy use their official page to stream some stuff.

Then rent a mumble server so they're not using peer to peer. The point is there's a way to make sure that a production is high quality, and wizards doesn't care enough about its quality to do it / make sure Randy does it / give Randy a small budget to do it. Maybe this doesn't need to be high quality because it's just a fun thing they put together in their free time, but if they invested into SSL (yes Wizards doesn't run it but they could help) it could have way more production value.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I saw Randy Buehler drinking a coke, and with production values like these I have to question where the budget is really going, Randy?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kabanaw posted:

Then rent a mumble server so they're not using peer to peer. The point is there's a way to make sure that a production is high quality, and wizards doesn't care enough about its quality to do it / make sure Randy does it / give Randy a small budget to do it. Maybe this doesn't need to be high quality because it's just a fun thing they put together in their free time, but if they invested into SSL (yes Wizards doesn't run it but they could help) it could have way more production value.

Perhaps there's a good reason they don't though: the criteria for qualifying for the Vintage or Standard Super League is "being friends with Randy" and Wizards is the sanctioning body for the game. Now, in a way there's nothing wrong with that, but I can see that at least being a reason for being leery to fund it.

In the end, this all assumes Randy asked for money (which isn't necessary at all since 99% of the time this stuff just works).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 29, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Kibler's been playing sloppy lately. If he had Bestowed Boon Satyr on his Den Protector first instead of Herald of Torment, he would've had exactly lethal. Instead he gets his opponent to 1 life and dies.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Most of the people involved are not especially tech savvy, which is what's holding them back more than any budget issue. Kibler should have enough twitch experience to know better though.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

rabidsquid posted:

See, I was just being sarcastic, then you kicked it up a notch.

Edit: Mulligan a bad hand, get another bad hand. I hope Kibler gets to actually play this match. I doubt it though.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 29, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

Doomsday Rhino is generally considered the most complicated Vintage deck to play.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Kibler's been playing sloppy lately. If he had Bestowed Boon Satyr on his Den Protector first instead of Herald of Torment, he would've had exactly lethal. Instead he gets his opponent to 1 life and dies.

Brian Kibler has spent the entire past two days working up an elaborate story where he's "sick" so that he'd have a built in excuse for any poor play in the SSL.

edit: He knew he was playing g/b ahead of time and is too arrogant to admit to the difficulty of the archetype

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm not sure what you people find so difficult about this game. All you do is turn cards sideways to win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kibler mulling to 4 and his opponent drawing a god hand plus god draws.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
That was sloppy plays on Kibler's part though. He should have just drawn a good opening 7, like a decent player would have.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ramos posted:

I'm not sure what you people find so difficult about this game. All you do is turn cards sideways to win.

This is pretty true. Even in vintage I just turn things sideways so my opponents cant turn things sideways and then I turn more things sideways and they lose or give up.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

qbert posted:

Didn't Gerry have an untapped Wayfinder that turn? Flying over it for 6 is generally going to be better than running your 7-power creature into a chump block in that situation.

It did kind of feel like he just decided to stop playing that game though. On the last turn iirc he wasn't dead on board, and he could have swung with the Herald, kept Boon Satyr to flash block, and maybe have a chance. Instead he bestows the Satyr to take Gerry down to 1 and just concedes. :effort:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nibble posted:

Didn't Gerry have an untapped Wayfinder that turn? Flying over it for 6 is generally going to be better than running your 7-power creature into a chump block in that situation.

Read the text on Den Protector.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nibble posted:

It did kind of feel like he just decided to stop playing that game though. On the last turn iirc he wasn't dead on board, and he could have swung with the Herald, kept Boon Satyr to flash block, and maybe have a chance. Instead he bestows the Satyr to take Gerry down to 1 and just concedes. :effort:

He knew Gerry had a Fleshbag Marauder in hand and he had also just Sidisi'd, almost certainly for a removal spell.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

Yes, from whiny, poor people. Who are best sitting outside of that money gate.

Yeah yeah. Constructed magic has always been the skiing of board games. What else is new? And buying into a legacy can be pretty affordable if you do it right.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

Yeah yeah. Constructed magic has always been the skiing of board games. What else is new? And buying into a legacy can be pretty affordable if you do it right.

Yeah, just impulse buy a Tabernacle and the rest of Lands, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Partial Octopus posted:

What is affordable about legacy again?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Burn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Lol if you don't have a tabernacle lying around for EDH.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I met Gerry last weekend at a friend's birthday thing. He's a friendly down to earth guy. He looks like the biggest loving pot head in person though jfc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Death and Taxes is cheaper than most good modern decks.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Hey! I played lands every day for like a month on xmage before I bought it :colbert:

Sickening posted:

According to mtggoldfish most legacy decks range from around 390 (burn) to upwards of about 3.7k (shardless) with plenty of options in between. Compare that with modern starting around 420 (storm) and going up to around 2k (junk). The price difference isn't all that much and with legacy you're actually getting a fun format. Especially when considering that with standard you're paying around 200-450 on a deck that requires you to buy new cards at a pretty frequent rate.

But to be honest magic isn't really that affordable no matter how you look at it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Legacy Dredge is kinda affordable compared to some Modern decks; only real money card is LED at $70-90 apiece; everything else is stuff like Cabal Therapy and Ichorid with the occasional Iona or Elesh Norn if you want interesting Dread Return targets.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My Legacy Soldiers deck would only be ~$350 if I hadn't decided it could benefit from a fun-of Brimaz.

And then a SB playset of Leylines.

And then a Karakas.

:negative:

Fortunately, all of the expensive cards are ones that can go into other decks

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
The local stores do (unsanctioned) 10 proxy legacy tournaments which made it dangerously cheap to buy into legacy.

The danger is that now I have a reason to look at the price of Force of Will and think about buying them

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

UberJew posted:

The local stores do (unsanctioned) 10 proxy legacy tournaments which made it dangerously cheap to buy into legacy.

The danger is that now I have a reason to look at the price of Force of Will and think about buying them

We've been trying to get our store owner to allow some number of proxies for at least vintage but he's worried that people won't buy these cards if they can use proxies. I'm sure that's true of some people but I'd much rather use my own Moxes than my current "Moxes," 3 of which are actually just Russian basics. And more importantly we'd have more people playing vintage which is sweet.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

UberJew posted:

That seems like a great idea to get a community going. In completely unrelated news, High Tide is very cheap, except for the Candelabras. :getin:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The way you should pitch it is "run these unsanctioned proxy tournaments with the vintage / legacy staples you want to sell as the prizes, this way people start playing the format and then you've built a market for these cards you're trying to sell, while also selling some of them through tournament entry fees"

The key is that to avoid being bad business he's going to need to figure out prizing / fees that support variable attendance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sometimes I know the feelings of those MTGO salt-guys.

Playing a horrifically boring control mirror. He has 0 cards in hand and topdecks a Hero's Downfall to kill my Dromoka. Two turns later, I cast Icefall Regent. He topdecks a different Icefall Regent and locks down my Icefall Regent.

Later on, he's got Ashiok out and and Icefall Regent still tapping down mine. He has 0 cards in hand. I cast my last card I've been holding Ugin, and destroy all his dudes. He topdecks Dragonlord Silumgar.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

The way you should pitch it is "run these unsanctioned proxy tournaments with the vintage / legacy staples you want to sell as the prizes, this way people start playing the format and then you've built a market for these cards you're trying to sell, while also selling some of them through tournament entry fees"

The key is that to avoid being bad business he's going to need to figure out prizing / fees that support variable attendance.

On one hand, it sucks that more people can't play because of no proxies being allowed. I'd love to have a 30-person vintage tournament instead of the usual X-teen. On the other hand, it would be really bad for his business to let people proxy cards in these events. Most of the $400-something I won this month went right back into the store to finish my playset of Workshops, but I'd be willing to bet most people wouldn't do that. Why buy half a Mox when you could just scribble Jet on a Swamp and keep the money?

The idea that some of us had was once a month instead of FNM legacy, we could have non-FNM proxy vintage. That way the people that like it will eventually buy into the format to play in the real thing without having to allow proxies in the tournament he's already losing money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Real talk: I'm. Gonna build that kibler golgari aggro deck and I am gonna love the loving HELL out of it. Because that deck is solidly my jam. That's pretty much everything I like about a deck since predator ooze aggro!

• Locked thread