Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Mage_Boy posted:

Skye is the only link to Daredevil in AoS right now correct?

I've watched Daredevil but must have missed the Skye reference; when does it happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

OptimusWang posted:

I've watched Daredevil but must have missed the Skye reference; when does it happen?

Same orphanage.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

And it looks like Raina is manipulating Gordon into it.

Worst mistake Jiaying ever made was having her brought there.

I dislike Raina and want her to get her comeuppance. It should have been when she turned into sonic but now she has snazzy powers. :(

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I'm ok with how this is playing out. Coulson has already passed off the buck about Strucker and the like to the heavy hitters, his job is done there. They vaguely referenced Ultron with Raina's vision, and I'm sure there'll be some passing mentions of it next episode, but I don't think they're based around the area where Ultron attacks, so it makes sense they'd move onto the whole "We have two Inhumans here and Gonzales hates those dudes" thing fairly quickly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think that scene from the preview with the ship on fire probably means they all had to go there due to Ultron.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Was I supposed to know what Theta Protocol is at the end of this episode? A couple of the advance reviews suggested that, and I'm wondering if it's me or the reviewers who's an idiot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was mentioned a couple of episodes ago as some secret Coulson was keeping from everyone, and before that in the mid-season finale Coulson ordered Koenig to enact it if he didn't return.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Barry Convex posted:

Was I supposed to know what Theta Protocol is at the end of this episode? A couple of the advance reviews suggested that, and I'm wondering if it's me or the reviewers who's an idiot.

I think it has to do with some Ultron spoilers, and some reviewers might be taking that into account.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Next Week on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Coulson: Wow that was a some battle with those Ultron drones. So what are we doing this week guys?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I would have sworn they did answer the Theta Protocol question there at the end. Theta Protocol is reactivating the Avengers, getting them together for the attack on Strucker.

I could be wrong though, since I don't know where that involves 500 bunk beds.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I would have sworn they did answer the Theta Protocol question there at the end. Theta Protocol is reactivating the Avengers, getting them together for the attack on Strucker.

Avengers Day camps, duh?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Bus? :ohdear:

Fury gone be PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISED!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Did Mack say "...and Coulson's in the office" while he was hooking up the video equipment? Shouldn't he have said Gonzales? He wouldn't have known Coulson was in that side room downloading stuff and I assumed he was referring to the office in the base. Just weird they'd leave in a mistake like that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

head58 posted:

Did Mack say "...and Coulson's in the office" while he was hooking up the video equipment? Shouldn't he have said Gonzales? He wouldn't have known Coulson was in that side room downloading stuff and I assumed he was referring to the office in the base. Just weird they'd leave in a mistake like that.

No, he was talking about Coulson.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, I'm totally making a gif of that Skye fight. I guess I could just link it for size.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I'm totally making a gif of that Skye fight. I guess I could just link it for size.

You're doing the Lord's work.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So what exactly were they doing to Lincoln with that one measly incision that caused him to loving die? I'm pretty sure May has taken wounds of that caliber in the middle of a fight and not even stopped to bandage it until her opponent was dead. :colbert: Lincoln is weak and will not survive the winter (still dreamy though :allears:).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deakul posted:

Slomo force push.

I guess her powers will be whatever the writers want. :shrug:

twistedmentat posted:

Next Week on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Coulson: Wow that was a some battle with those Ultron drones. So what are we doing this week guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGFZzvdsJ0

Attack of the quippy robots

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spergatory posted:

So what exactly were they doing to Lincoln with that one measly incision that caused him to loving die? I'm pretty sure May has taken wounds of that caliber in the middle of a fight and not even stopped to bandage it until her opponent was dead. :colbert: Lincoln is weak and will not survive the winter (still dreamy though :allears:).

It looked like that was just the latest in experiments.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Man that entire episode just killed it.

- We finally got some solid AoU links
- The Sonic line
- The glad I shot you line
- Hot Pocket line
- Ward everything
- Badass Simmons
- Coulson just being such a casual badass around the BSG dude

gently caress IM SO HYPE FOR THIS SHOW! To think, I gave up after three episodes. I'm so glad I gave it another chance.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I agree with everything except Simmons being badass.

I'm with Ward on that one, it was actually sad to see what she did.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mikeraskol posted:

"I'm so sad that my betrayal and attempt to murder you in cold blood made you stop trusting people. I liked you better before I damaged your soul to the point of wanting to kill me."

Yeah, real easy to agree with that. gently caress Ward. (I still want more of him being terrible though, he's great at it.)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Honestly if I hadn't of predicted she would wimp out if she ever met him again I would probably think it was sad. Instead it shocked me and sort of fit the direction they've taken her. They could have just gone the same route she eventually did with Skye and pull the friendship card but it wouldn't have worked as well since Skye never dropped her under the ocean.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think those reviewers assumed Theta Protocol was just summoning the Avengers. I also think those reviewers were probably wrong, since as you say, it doesn't fit the previous hints, and doesn't even make narrative sense since it means Theta Protocol would have to be more or less irrelevant to the final three episodes.

In other news, (Joss) Whedon just tweeted this:

My translation: "whoops, I caused some bad PR for my brother and sister-in-law by being too candid in those AOU interviews, better hastily whip together a half-assed image to make the gullible fans think the show still might matter to the broader MCU at some point."

But, y'know, hope springs eternal and all that.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I'm actually glad that I was wrong for once on Ward manipulating Agent 33 and instead genuinely caring for her. Unless he has some master backup plan to use her as a SHIELD mole...

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm actually glad that I was wrong for once on Ward manipulating Agent 33 and instead genuinely caring for her. Unless he has some master backup plan to use her as a SHIELD mole...

Calling the second one

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Honestly if I hadn't of predicted she would wimp out if she ever met him again I would probably think it was sad. Instead it shocked me and sort of fit the direction they've taken her. They could have just gone the same route she eventually did with Skye and pull the friendship card but it wouldn't have worked as well since Skye never dropped her under the ocean.

Simmons is awesome now. Kill all the powered people! Kill Ward!

Don't gently caress with Simmons. :colbert:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

gently caress IM SO HYPE FOR THIS SHOW! To think, I gave up after three episodes. I'm so glad I gave it another chance.

Yeah, this episode made me happy that I decided to go ahead and catch up on this show. Skye has come so far since the beginning of this show that it's really absurd, mostly in a good way. "Should've shot him in the face" was exactly what I was thinking when the scene in question occurred, and the tie-ins to Age of Ultron and the Inhumans side of the universe are exciting.

Deathlok and Lincoln need to go on adventures and poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Convex posted:

I think those reviewers assumed Theta Protocol was just summoning the Avengers. I also think those reviewers were probably wrong, since as you say, it doesn't fit the previous hints, and doesn't even make narrative sense since it means Theta Protocol would have to be more or less irrelevant to the final three episodes.
It also doesn't really fit with the movie, given the Avengers seemed to be working together for some time to recover the Sceptre, and that Hill doesn't seem to be an authority figure to them in the way that Fury is.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It also doesn't really fit with the movie, given the Avengers seemed to be working together for some time to recover the Sceptre, and that Hill doesn't seem to be an authority figure to them in the way that Fury is.

The more you think about the movie and ask the whys and hows, the more the movie just falls apart. Remember, it is pretty much cut together like a comic book, just run with it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Barry Convex posted:

I think those reviewers assumed Theta Protocol was just summoning the Avengers.

I got the impression that it was more "find loki's sceptre, call in the avengers"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Very good episode, highlights are Simmons following through on her promise (and using evil Hydra tech no less), Skye kicking rear end both with powers and without (seriously that sequence with her taking out like 12 guys while flipping around everywhere is just bonkers, she's already the team's heavy hitter and she's only going to get better from here on out), hitting the Avengers button and Coulson being miles ahead of everybody even when May doesn't really trust him.

I'm looking forward to Not-Adama getting thrown out of command for being crazy as hell.

Coulson's "Spoiler alert" when he talked about Fury coming to take the toolbox back was cute too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Azhais posted:

I got the impression that it was more "find loki's sceptre, call in the avengers"

Remember that Gonzales said that Coulson spent more money on Theta protocol than he did on SHIELD. That would be one expensive scavenger hunt.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'd be willing to bet Theta Protocol is a bunch of (really hard to break into) bunkers to evacuate people to in case of world shaking events spread all over the world.

You'd need lots of money and lots of contacts all over the world, and it also might actually save peoples lives better than just about any other program the original shield ever came up with did.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"I'm so sad that my betrayal and attempt to murder you in cold blood made you stop trusting people. I liked you better before I damaged your soul to the point of wanting to kill me."

Yeah, real easy to agree with that. gently caress Ward. (I still want more of him being terrible though, he's great at it.)

You didn't really get what I said.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The whole time during the Skye action scene I thought my mind had gone on the fritz 'cuz clearly it had to be her stunt double, but for some reason my eyes were seeing Chloe Bennet herself doing the entire scene. I went as far as to consider if they'd CGI'd her face in.

Also, really glad to see she still retains her slo-motion superpower.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

In other news, (Joss) Whedon just tweeted this:

My translation: "whoops, I caused some bad PR for my brother and sister-in-law by being too candid in those AOU interviews, better hastily whip together a half-assed image to make the gullible fans think the show still might matter to the broader MCU at some point."

Whedon has nothing to do with the films anymore, so what he said is pretty much just his thoughts when making AoU. If Feige or the Russos want to use Coulson or characters from the show, they will.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Remember that Gonzales said that Coulson spent more money on Theta protocol than he did on SHIELD. That would be one expensive scavenger hunt.

Hulkbuster Iron Man armor doesn't grow on trees. It probably is just ridiculous Avenger stuff though like Thor, Cap's and Bruce's housing and expenses. Hawkeye also goes through a lot of arrows. Plus you need to pay them, and each Avenger is a multi-million dollar asset. There's no real reason that Stark can't just pay for everyone's everything, but it seems clear to me that Theta protocol is solely setting up various resources for the Avengers. They end up at a random cabin at some point in the movie, judging from the previews, so that could be a Theta resource that Fury just plays off as a super-secret hideaway spot.

i don't see why Coulson had to be so secret about it though, at least with May. I'd think it's pretty obvious that the Director of Shield should be able to call in Earth's Mighiest Heroes if the situation requires it.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Maybe the first season I could understand but what the gently caress are you people thinking that this show doesn't matter to the broader MCU? They've introduced Inhumans (yes, even using the name and other associated terminology) four loving years before the Inhumans' own movie or any other show or movie that may have them before the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat, Skye is Solid Snake now :stonk:

• Locked thread