Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Jadius posted:

This was my childhood, too, except it was PO'd and Quarantine. 3DO games were way cheap used by the end of the console's lifespan and I had pretty much everything worth owning (and a bunch of MULTIMEDIA® bullshit that no one would ever play) , which I sold through the classified ads for $150 to buy Christmas presents for my family. Hope you liked the Anne Rice novel, mom, because these days Lucienne's Quest alone is apparently worth more than $150.

I remember picking up an FZ-10 with twenty plus games for under $50 near the end. Went into the store intending to buy a PSX game and ended up with a backup 3do and stack of games. Most of the games were pretty terrible but Return Fire with the expansion and Road Rash was worth the price alone to thirteen year old me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Neo Rasa posted:

Have you played Quarantine II: The Road Warrior? I didn't like it as much as the first but check it out. :)

I didn't even know there WAS a sequel! I'll have to track that down and give it a shot.

quote:

Board games like video games chat

Is this where we mention those super rad Odyssey2 games that I've always wanted to play that were board games that required a cartridge in the Odyssey2 to work?

Has anyone ever played this or the other ones and are they as neat as I really wish they are?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HeroQuest was my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2QJa8olUk

The video game was crap, though.

e: The coolest cross-digital game is Star Saga One. It's stupidly rare but you can get all the material online and it's a pretty neat game that's like a Fighting Fantasy gamebook but the computer handles moves and actions.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 29, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

al-azad posted:

HeroQuest was my poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC2QJa8olUk

The video game was crap, though.
No discussion of board games that're like video games could be complete without Dark Tower. It came out in 1981, pretty much the exact point of intersection between the popularity of tabletop RPGs and early video games.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Sounds like there needs to be a board game megathread if there isn't one already. I've recently started to dabble in board game collection.
Mostly video game related.

I have...
Pac Man
Ms Pac Man
Qbert
Zaxxon
Turbo
Donkey Kong Jenga
and a few others.

They are all terrible except for jenga. Jenga rules.

I want Zelda, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a board game for $100+. I still need to paypal my good friend monitor_burn some cash to mod my toploader.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There's a board games are obviously the best megathread in Imp Zone that is 200+ pages strong.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If you can find it, the DOOM board game is basically HeroQuest but with hordes of demons. Despite it having Doom 3 stuff for its box art and everything, the miniatures are based on the 1995 pewter molds so they're all the classic designs. Anyways I mention it because it's kind of like Space Hulk where it's expensive because you get so many miniatures in it so it's a great value. But because of that the price is driven up. :barf:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Djarum posted:

Honestly I think the bubble will pop in the next year or two. Retrogaming is the "hip" thing at the moment but much like any fad it will die down. I think seeing Gamestop getting involved in it is the first sign that the bubble is going to pop and quickly.

I hope so, but I also doubt it. At the very least, I highly doubt Nintendo games will drop in price. I would be more willing to believe that some of the lesser-known systems might see some drops (man I hope it happens with the TG16).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mikeycp posted:

I hope you're right.

"Oh wow, they have a NES for $150+ and oh look a 2DS for the same price with NES games on it for $6 a pop :effort:".

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hope the fad ends so I can pick up a few extra NESes for spare parts/backup without being ripped a few new orifices.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

I hope the fad ends so I can pick up a few extra NESes for spare parts/backup without being ripped a few new orifices.

My favourite was seeing a beat-up NES Box (with "NO ROB" stickered on the front) for $300AU in a Cash Converters :allears:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

If you can find it, the DOOM board game is basically HeroQuest but with hordes of demons. Despite it having Doom 3 stuff for its box art and everything, the miniatures are based on the 1995 pewter molds so they're all the classic designs. Anyways I mention it because it's kind of like Space Hulk where it's expensive because you get so many miniatures in it so it's a great value. But because of that the price is driven up. :barf:

It's also out of print and 10 years old hence the price. Gears of War was basically a re-implementation of its design.

Star Wars Imperial Assault is also really good if you liked the campaign system teased by HeroQuest.

cosmicjim posted:

Sounds like there needs to be a board game megathread if there isn't one already. I've recently started to dabble in board game collection.
Mostly video game related.

There is a mega thread but it's for serious board gamers. Any talk of anything but designer board games is snubbed.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Key to the Kingdom is a board game I remember having as a kid and thinking it was like a video game.

Hahah, the black kid is freaking out.

I never had any cool board games like this, except one called Screaming Eagles that had to do with fighter jets. My sister always bitched and moaned when I'd want to play it, so it didn't get used much. I think the most unique thing we had was Kerplunk - a jenga-like game where you insert these plastic sticks into the side of a tall cylinder to make a barrier, then pour a bag of marbles on top. You take turns removing sticks, and the first one to dump the marbles loses.

Oh, I just rememberd now, I had Mouse Trap. That game kicked rear end. I remember playing with the goldberg machine after the game was done. We also had Guess Who, the late 80's version ("Game cards do not actually talk."). God help you if you drew a person of color, or worse, a woman. Or even worse, the woman of color. Thanks for making us resent women and minorities, MB!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Have you ever seen the opening to the Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 3DO game? What's that you say? No? Heavens. You ought to fix that. Let me help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-AcYvCzF0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Best thing about that game is the huge Sagat laugh Sailor Mars does whenever she wins a round.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FrumpleOrz posted:

Has anyone ever played this or the other ones and are they as neat as I really wish they are?

I have that game, and yes it's pretty decent(for an old rear end game from 1982). Sort of like a Dungeons and Dragons lite. You press the buttons to initiate monster encounters and then the players gotta fight through them. There's little gameboard markers for castles and stuff. It's certainly better than the Atari 2600 RPGs.

It has one of the most awesome cover art for an O2 game though(nearly all the O2 game covers were really awesome)

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 29, 2015

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Caitlin posted:

Have you ever seen the opening to the Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon 3DO game? What's that you say? No? Heavens. You ought to fix that. Let me help you.

I know sweet gently caress all about Sailor Moon other than it was what the girls in my third grade class were really into while us boys were into Transformers but now I kind of want to play that. Also, those cgi characters are kind of creepy looking.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cubey posted:

I hope so, but I also doubt it. At the very least, I highly doubt Nintendo games will drop in price. I would be more willing to believe that some of the lesser-known systems might see some drops (man I hope it happens with the TG16).

Eh, I don't see TG16 stuff going down much, if at all. At least, not the US stuff. It's too uncommon, relative to the NES, SNES, and Genesis, so it's easy for the demand to exceed the supply and keep prices propped up. Honestly, though, the TG16 is best experienced through the Japanese side of the platform, which can still be reasonable. More games, too, compared to the US. A white, original model PC Engine can be fairly cheap (albeit RF only by default, but so is the US TG16), and the price for good variants like the Core Grafx (with composite video out) aren't too bad, either.

Ofecks posted:

Hahah, the black kid is freaking out.

He's also touching approximately zero percent of the game. It's like, hey, invite your token black friend over to your house to give his amazed approval at your sweet new board game. Just don't let him actually join in the play because, um, things might get...uncomfortable.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Key to the Kingdom is a board game I remember having as a kid and thinking it was like a video game.

I had this and later HeroQuest (hand-me-down from my uncle) as a kid and promptly lost a bunch of the pieces after trying to play once or twice. I still have the 8 sided die and the evil dark lord guy from Key to the Kingdom, though.

Also The Omega Virus commercial always intrigued me, along with Rattle Me Bones and It from the Pit.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

RadicalR posted:

Oh, hey, The Omega Virus! I grew up with this board game.

Yeah, same here. All this Omega talk sure brings me back. I've still got my old copy from my childhood. I haven't played it in years, but I think that robot voice is permanently burned into my brain.

210! SECURITY BREACH! SECURITY BREACH AT 210!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

You're mistaken, the Doom board game has Doom3 designs.

It's still goddamn awesome though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I make poo poo happen.

Me a few days ago: https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/591868084723392514

Just now: http://shop.krikzz.com/Cartridge-Shells-SHELLS.htm

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Before the bubble a friend and I used go to the local flea market on weekends and buy up every cheap NES we could find (there was one haitian lady who would sell us about 4 or 5 every weekend for $5 a pop, no idea where she kept getting them), then we would go home and bend their cart slot pins so they boot reliably and bring them to gamestop for the $25 tradein credit. All you had to do was prove it worked and include an AC adapter and a controller. Used that credit on the newer games of the time and built up an absolutely massive PS2 collection which I stupidly sold most of a few years ago when I thought I didn't really care for the PS2 as a system and it's games were taking up too much shelf space. Now I miss a lot of those games :(

e: the current bubble is definitely gonna pop, but I don't think prices are ever going to be where they once were now that the hobby has been so "exposed".

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Yeah, same here. All this Omega talk sure brings me back. I've still got my old copy from my childhood. I haven't played it in years, but I think that robot voice is permanently burned into my brain.

210! SECURITY BREACH! SECURITY BREACH AT 210!

Red help me we are running out of time. Try and stop ME, you human scum!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

Before the bubble a friend and I used go to the local flea market on weekends and buy up every cheap NES we could find (there was one haitian lady who would sell us about 4 or 5 every weekend for $5 a pop, no idea where she kept getting them), then we would go home and bend their cart slot pins so they boot reliably and bring them to gamestop for the $25 tradein credit. All you had to do was prove it worked and include an AC adapter and a controller. Used that credit on the newer games of the time and built up an absolutely massive PS2 collection which I stupidly sold most of a few years ago when I thought I didn't really care for the PS2 as a system and it's games were taking up too much shelf space. Now I miss a lot of those games :(

e: the current bubble is definitely gonna pop, but I don't think prices are ever going to be where they once were now that the hobby has been so "exposed".

I expect the bubble to pop on everything besides NES, SNES, and N64. These systems have always been the go-to college student systems due to the multiplayer games that anyone can pick up and play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hot sauce posted:

I expect the bubble to pop on everything besides NES, SNES, and N64. These systems have always been the go-to college student systems due to the multiplayer games that anyone can pick up and play.

Other way around. Those games are becoming readily more available thanks to the eShop, and disc games only go up in value as fewer intact ones remain.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
My perspective is more old computer related things and less so console things, but people keep saying the "retro bubble will burst" since many, many years now and the only thing that really happened is that the prices kept climbing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Other way around. Those games are becoming readily more available thanks to the eShop, and disc games only go up in value as fewer intact ones remain.

Ehh, I don't think anything with production numbers in the 6- or 7-digits can have an appreciable drop in supply that would impact its value. I think the Game Center CX/YouTubers craze did more damage (by increasing demand) than a lack of supply ever could. Demand trumps everything anyway; if you have something hyper-rare but no one wants it that's still automatically worthless.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

Ehh, I don't think anything with production numbers in the 6- or 7-digits can have an appreciable drop in supply that would impact its value. I think the Game Center CX/YouTubers craze did more damage (by increasing demand) than a lack of supply ever could. Demand trumps everything anyway; if you have something hyper-rare but no one wants it that's still automatically worthless.

True, but carts are (relatively speaking) indestructible. All it takes is a single scratch to render a disc worthless.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I hope the bubble bursts, indeed, even if just a little. I'm missing like three or four games to have an entire Saturn PAL collection. I used to buy them at rather cheap prices, now it's all climbed into such absurdities I haven't bothered pick two of the last ones I need: Batman Forever and Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Like, the cheapest I can get the latter with a damaged manual is 100€. It's not even a classic. It's a poo poo port of a mediocre game. I can't even imagine how much games like Shining Force 3 go for these days.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

True, but carts are (relatively speaking) indestructible. All it takes is a single scratch to render a disc worthless.

That said, it depends on how severe. Most scratches are recoverable via a resurfacing (especially if you get it done at a proper place with a machine worth a few grand), and luckily Blu-ray discs and their variants specifically have an anti-scratch coating as standard that works extremely well.

And I think you get into one of those weird situations where, especially for games that have had value for a long time...well, people aren't handling games they know are worth a few hundred with cheetos-encrusted fingers. I remember in high school (20 years ago so still paper/cloth money) in my economics course we were shown a chart on the "life expectancy" of various bill denominations, with each more valuable one lasting longer and longer ("lasting" in this case means it's still theoretically good but a bank receiving it will deem it unworthy of circulation and send it back to the mint to be destroyed/reissued). There was a sharp jump in life expectancy going from a $20 bill to a $50, then again to a $100 and since a $1000 bill technically existed back then it was included too and had a completely ridiculous life expectancy of something like over 40 years when the bottom-tier bills were less than 2 years, because seriously no one with a $1000 bill is keeping that in their wallet or anywhere other than a safe or similar location where it gets minimal handling.

If anything, things are going to get interesting when early pressed CD's begin to fail in large numbers just do to naturally falling apart.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Caitlin posted:

Those loving 3D models. Thanks for sharing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

Traditional games has a thread for it, but there's some interesting crossover points that are worth talking about here. We've got video games that link up to board games, board games based on video games, and board games that are actually electronic games.

Neo Rasa posted:

That is a wonderful game that I'm disappointed that I never got the expansion for. It's a lot like Descent (the board game, not the video game :v:).

Police Automaton posted:

My perspective is more old computer related things and less so console things, but people keep saying the "retro bubble will burst" since many, many years now and the only thing that really happened is that the prices kept climbing.

I wish I had a good reference to hand you about economic bubbles, and collectable bubbles in general, but I don't have something handy. What I can tell you is that I've been through a lot of these and they all follow this pattern. It's not sustainable long term and eventually, almost overnight, the whole thing collapses.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I probably mentioned this before, but I was pretty close to buying this a few months ago - a Korean board game that purports to be based off The Legend of Zelda:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The inside of the box is definitely The Hyrule Fantasy. It was either a legitimate licensed product or a bootleg but I'm safe in saying it came out in 1980-whatever and is based on the real board game.

e: It's likely a knockoff/bootleg as those are paper stands, not the sculpted figures the Japanese version came with.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 29, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, the reason I didn't buy it (aside from the fact that I'd immediately stash it in a closet and never touch it again) was because I looked into it and found out it was a repackaged Bandai game and not an original nonsensical bootleg. There were also some Ghosts 'n Goblins games and... something else, Crazy Climber? Something weird.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 29, 2015

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
The bubble might burst because of scumbag 20 somethings like me finally having the money to buy old gaming poo poo and getting flashcarts and burning discs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The bubble will burst because the new generation of 20-somethings with money won't have nostalgia for anything older than PS2. :smug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

The bubble will burst because the new generation of 20-somethings with money won't have nostalgia for anything older than PS2. :smug:

And I will be prepared to take advantage of them!

It's going to be funny when thirty years from now the people asking a hundred robobucks for copies of Call of Duty...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've actually been wondering about this, the two DC games I have that are unplayably scratched are Gigawing 2 and Mars Matrix (some luck there huh). How well do those resurfacing machines some game stores use work, and do they work on GD-ROMs?

e: for what it's worth I find it very rare to come across disc based games that are scratched so badly they don't work and I think that will become even rarer as the already scratched ones get thrown out and the good ones end up in the hands of people who know how to handle optical discs

d0s fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 29, 2015

• Locked thread