Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Yeah, I think there were easily half a dozen King City and Multiple Warheads references in this episode. Brandon Graham & Jesse Moynihan wrote it, so anyone trying to figure out a reference should really start with Brandon Graham's own comic universe.

Really, if you like an episode, it's almost worth checking out who storyboarded it. If they're someone with one episode in a newer season, the odds are very good that they make really good indie comics. Dark Purple was done by Adam Muto and Sloane Leong. Sam Alden did half of The Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mimir posted:

Really, if you like an episode, it's almost worth checking out who storyboarded it. If they're someone with one episode in a newer season, the odds are very good that they make really good indie comics. Dark Purple was done by Adam Muto and Sloane Leong. Sam Alden did half of The Mountain.

Huh. I hadn't thought about it, but the storyboard-driven nature of some of these cartoons make them the perfect medium for bringing in comic talent. That's a really great benefit. Isn't Rick & Morty also board driven?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Huh. I hadn't thought about it, but the storyboard-driven nature of some of these cartoons make them the perfect medium for bringing in comic talent. That's a really great benefit. Isn't Rick & Morty also board driven?

I think they made a joke about a board-driven show about dogs, but it isn't - it's very much a scripted show. Heck, the TV clip show episode is "driven" by Roiland doing improv. Steven Universe and Regular Show are, though - from what I've read they get an outline that's around a page long, and then flesh it out from there.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I doubt anyone has, but still, don't forget forming!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
As long as we continue our show long tradition of the only thing in Adventure Time that changes is Finn I think this show is gonna be juuuuuuust fine.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just had a terrifying thought that this show is going to pull a David the Gnome ending and ruin me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jake's aging in real time, you guys. He's like 12 now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's half interdimensional shapeshifter, who knows what lifespan he'll have. His kids (and granddaughter) have even more exotic genetics, so big question marks all round.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

But Jermaine... is just a 12 year old dog.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Other than the fact that he walks and talks like a human being. The Mushroom War presumably irradiated and mutated everyone, so all bets are off on dog aging.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

And I am now eating chips with ice cream.

At the end I realized they look like condoms with those little hats on :v:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
That episode was.... an episode

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Yo Mayo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Aside from the bear guy's obsessive behavior after getting rid of Chips and Ice Cream, this episode didn't seem to have that much going for it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Eh, I liked it. Felt like a season 1/2 episode and gave BMO some funny lines.

Prize Chicken
Feb 21, 2007

I think the goal was to create a light narrative and then sneak a bunch of boob jokes in.

Because clearly those were some low-hanger ghost tittays... They've even got nicknames.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

i think it was just a cute weird episode about a pair of ghost things that got stuck possessing peoples ears, personally.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I like these weird-rear end episodes

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Its been awhile but i thought Jermaine was dead

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just like that the last shot indicates that if we had watched the play it might have just been a recreation of the episode we just watched.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If Box Prince didn't exist that would be the most Seo Kim-y episode ever. I liked it fine but it was pretty forgettable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I will never forever understand how anyone couldn't like Box Prince.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just don't think it's funny or entertaining and think "but the point is that there's no point!" stories are worthless. And I love cats.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Prize Chicken posted:

I think the goal was to create a light narrative and then sneak a bunch of boob jokes in.

Because clearly those were some low-hanger ghost tittays... They've even got nicknames.

Nah dude they're butts.
Extraneous butts.

axleblaze posted:

I just like that the last shot indicates that if we had watched the play it might have just been a recreation of the episode we just watched.

I like this theory and I reacted exactly like Jake when it ended.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bown posted:

I just don't think it's funny or entertaining and think "but the point is that there's no point!" stories are worthless. And I love cats.

But there is a very clear point of playing with our expectations. Every time some very trope-y thing is about to happen it end up not happening. It's quite precise on doing so too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Das Boo posted:

I will never forever understand how anyone couldn't like Box Prince.

my cat does this all the time
why are the scratches on my hand so cute!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought the episode had a funny message about art.

Morty makes the play purely in order to exploit his audience and try to be exorcized of his demons/imps. He accidentally makes something that inspires a genuine emotional reaction in people like BMO, even if it was pretty stupid. It's only later that we realize the play was representing the dreams of the imps themselves, which kind of explains why there might be some real meaning to it. It's hard to interpret chips and ice cream as anything but nonsense words, but I feel like the message is that it's possible to create something of real value and meaning by listening to the voices in your head even if you believe it's a bunch of meaningless junk.

Although I guess the other side is the more cynical idea that audiences will go for any piece of crap, even utterly idiotic stuff, as long it's vague enough that they can insert their own meaning into it.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I don't know if this is anything but the weird little guys coming out of a bear's ears reminded me of this frame, from "Jermaine":

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I never noticed that before, I'm sure everyone else already has (Joshua and Margaret).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I do love that as an image that their deaths are both literally on his head.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Now that Steven Universe has openly shown a romantic relationship between two (humanoid) women, isn't it time for AT to discuss the relationship between these two?

Art by storyboard revisionist Charmaine Verhagen.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Was there a previous case of non-humanoid lesbians?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Now that Steven Universe has openly shown a romantic relationship between two (humanoid) women, isn't it time for AT to discuss the relationship between these two?

Art by storyboard revisionist Charmaine Verhagen.

i'm pretty sure based on what i know of the show's crew, the only thing stopping them was the network saying no. So I hope so soon! Also I really really want them to. Representation is important, especially in kids' media. There was pretty much 0 of it that I saw that represented me in a positive way when I was growing up, and I'm so very glad that's changing

also look how loving cute they are!!! (art by writer/storyboard artist Hanna K - source)

sorry for caring too much about gay cartoons i guess

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pavlov posted:

Was there a previous case of non-humanoid lesbians?

Humanoid, as in aliens with human characteristics.

Tiny space lesbians!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can we please not forget that Marceline is at the very least bisexual? Let's not erase it, okay?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Meis posted:

sorry for caring too much about gay cartoons i guess
It's not even just the need for representation, the plot itself is asking for it. It's a shame that it didn't happen yet.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

In the closet

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Say Nothing posted:

Now that Steven Universe has openly shown a romantic relationship between two (humanoid) women

Not openly, there is still a layer that a fusion isn't a romantic relationship. I mean it's very clear it is but if the censors come asking it's still hand wavy enough to say "I never thought of that, what are you talking about" about it being dating.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Not openly, there is still a layer that a fusion isn't a romantic relationship. I mean it's very clear it is but if the censors come asking it's still hand wavy enough to say "I never thought of that, what are you talking about" about it being dating.

"Love Letters" explicitly says that Garnet is in, and is, a romantic relationship that excludes the possibility of any further romance for Garnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Confirmed by Writer/Storyboard Artist Joe Johnston.

http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/113498250748/are-you-allowed-to-tell-us-if-sapphire-and-rubys

• Locked thread