Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

BPD disappeared someone live on CNN and it was completely ignored. WHAT THE gently caress?
When you say someone was "disappeared," it generally means they aren't coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Dead Reckoning posted:

When you say someone was "disappeared," it generally means they aren't coming back.

The guy was probably just arrested. But there is something about a military humvee rolling up, obscuring a camera and soldiers shoving a dissident into it that seems ominous.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I'm about as critical of the police as a person can be, but I think It's a stretch to say that guy was "disappeared", unless he never comes back, or unless he comes back severely injured or dead (though that wouldn't exactly be "disappeared", but it would be the same kind of hosed up). I've seen the cops swarm and arrest individual people like that at other protests....didn't look out of the ordinary, really.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

The guy was probably just arrested. But there is something about a military humvee rolling up, obscuring a camera and soldiers shoving a dissident into it that seems ominous.

:ohdear:

It's refreshing to see it called out so plainly.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

BPD disappeared someone live on CNN and it was completely ignored. WHAT THE gently caress?

https://twitter.com/HollyGoNightly1/status/593259384249155584

If by "Disappeared" you mean currently being arrest processed in Baltimore City Central Booking, then yes.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

Actually, that's good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rah! posted:

I'm about as critical of the police as a person can be, but I think It's a stretch to say that guy was "disappeared", unless he never comes back, or unless he comes back severely injured or dead (though that wouldn't exactly be "disappeared", but it would be the same kind of hosed up). I've seen the cops swarm and arrest individual people like that at other protests....didn't look out of the ordinary, really.

Yes, but none of them waited until a Humvee was passing by so they could immediately throw him in the back and then reform the line like it never happened. Also, the very existence of a police line and reporters filming live indicates that there was probably more than just him on the street.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

let's talk about property damage in Baltimore

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Hey y'all. Long time no post. I'm hoping some of you will take a look at this. It's a thing I made.

I know, I know. Making a Change.org petition is the definition of armchair activism, but I felt it would be a decent platform for quickly drawing attention to an issue pertinent here in the debate over police use of force. The fact that for some reason we've been unable or unwilling to properly compile statistics on police-related deaths is a travesty and a gross miscarriage of justice, since better information about use of force could lead to changes in policy--or at least mount increased pressure to make changes according to solid evidence. HR 1447 was signed into law in December of last year and could potentially, FINALLY, lead to the compilation and dissemination of data on this subject. It has to be enforced, though, and enforcement is solely at the discretion of the Attorney General. It'd be cool if public accountability helped ensure that this legislation has teeth. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it'll wind up as much of a failure as HR 1800, which passed in 2000 with similar aims but had no built-in enforcement mechanism. That law, which expired in 2006, didn't come close to providing comprehensive data. Given that previous bill's failure, and the fact that between its expiration and the passage of the current bill there were four failed attempts to re-authorize it, now seems like a particularly clutch time to demand that this legislation is taken seriously and produces results.

If any of you have more questions about the particulars of the laws (they are actually rather short) or about existing statistical references i.e. FatalEncounters I'd be happy to go into more detail.

Thanks Goons!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

let's talk about property damage in Baltimore

I'll gentrify the gently caress out of this neighborhood

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Job Truniht posted:

Do you think the racists come out of the woodwork simply to express their views whenever riots like this happen? No, they're terrified of any change and are willing to resort to violence to have their way.

I agree. These Baltimore citizens should go back into the woodwork and not resort to violence.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vahakyla posted:

Please don't fight about Reddit or the ideological purity of your fellow poster.

Relax to this tune, rather: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YgZX9Thm0

Another good cop video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKtGnyGuKM

chitoryu12 posted:

There's always this thought that because of the prevalence of guns in the United States, that every dispute from a bar fight to a full fledged riot is destined to see people whipping out handguns and murdering one another. The problem with this thinking is that it assumes that everyone has way, way more desire to murder than they actually do and that all it takes is giving random people weapons to see them start executing police.

Unfortunately for the film industry, the United States doesn't quite resemble the church scene from Kingsman.

Well Baltimore's residents are primarily black and democrat, while the scene in Kingsman was full of white republicans, so it's actually not far from the truth.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 29, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
People keep asking what they should do, and basically they are doing what they can and they can even get the story on what happened that night to Freddie Gray at the very least.

Also, I don't know if people are looking at history with rose tinted glasses or what but the Civil Rights Movement wasn't just sunshine and rainbows with a few dogs and fire hoses with non-violent protestors thrown in. There were several different factions and strategies during that time period and not all of them were non-violent. Now, while I don't advocate for anyone to start riots or anything, they were a possibly effective tactic during the Civil Rights Movement.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
It's also an effective tactic if Disco happens.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Also what brutality problem?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

I don't understand the video or its point. It's like its fighting against some strawman idea where people legitimately believe that cops roll around and just kill and rape 24/7 everywhere.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The key information left out of that video being that the people entrusted with enforcing the law shouldn't be breaking it.

The number of complaints "having any form of merit or evidence" should be zero.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This video is pretty loaded. It uses the justice department's own determination as to whether or not complaints had merit as fact, assuming that any time a complaint was thrown out it was for a just cause. It also fails to adjust for instances in which a complaint was never filed despite there being reasonable cause for one, assumes that all departments engage in honest reporting, and fails to compare any of its statistics to that of other first world nations.

It also very curiously fails to talk even a little about police murder. We're currently at 381 deaths directly by police or during an arrest as of April 27th. If this trend continues, it's likely that we'll see over 1200 deaths that can be potentially attributed directly to a police officer by the end of the year. Assuming the video's stated 14,000 non-police murders by the end of the year (as the FBI statistics only count criminal murder, not deaths caused by police that are deemed justified or not investigated), American police will actually be committing off-the-record killings equal to 8.5% of the national murder total. In the meantime, Icelandic police killed one person as of 2013 and were grieving like it was a national tragedy.

We commit that same tragedy over 1000 times a year.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 29, 2015

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

blackguy32 posted:

People keep asking what they should do, and basically they are doing what they can and they can even get the story on what happened that night to Freddie Gray at the very least.

Also, I don't know if people are looking at history with rose tinted glasses or what but the Civil Rights Movement wasn't just sunshine and rainbows with a few dogs and fire hoses with non-violent protestors thrown in. There were several different factions and strategies during that time period and not all of them were non-violent. Now, while I don't advocate for anyone to start riots or anything, they were a possibly effective tactic during the Civil Rights Movement.

Yeah, a good cop/bad cop routine with protests is the best way to get the system to give in to the nicer protests demands so they don't risk losing it all if the "bad" protesters win. Got us the welfare state because FDR was scared of commies, got us civil rights because they were scared of Malcom X, etc.

Vahakyla posted:

I don't understand the video or its point. It's like its fighting against some strawman idea where people legitimately believe that cops roll around and just kill and rape 24/7 everywhere.

They don't? Where's your proof?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

It's like its fighting against some strawman idea where people legitimately believe that cops roll around and just kill and rape 24/7 everywhere.

Isn't this entire thread predicated on that?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

effectual posted:

Yeah, a good cop/bad cop routine with protests is the best way to get the system to give in to the nicer protests demands so they don't risk losing it all if the "bad" protesters win. Got us the welfare state because FDR was scared of commies, got us civil rights because they were scared of Malcom X, etc.

They don't? Where's your proof?

Speaking of Malcolm X, I'm surprised at how charismatic he was. I've been watching some of his speeches.

I guess it's because I grew up in the South and we barely covered MLK much less other civil rights leaders, but it was always taught to us that he was a fringe player who was not really important at all except he wanted to murder all whiteys.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 29, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GreyPowerVan posted:

Speaking of Malcolm X, I'm surprised at how charismatic he was. I've been watching some of his speeches.

Almost like he had entirely valid points and completely rational complaints and grievances with American society at the time. Which were ignored in favor of vilifying him as a violent upstart for... some reason.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Vahakyla posted:

It was posted by a cop. Does that help you get the point?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

We're currently at 381 deaths directly by police or during an arrest as of April 27th. If this trend continues, it's likely that we'll see over 1200 deaths that can be potentially attributed directly to a police officer by the end of the year.
That's a bit disingenuous, considering that total includes civilians killed in traffic accidents the police were a party to and suspects that fired on the police first.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's basically like "look we aren't mostly murderous!"

But then you ask the question "yeah but what about the one that are?" And the video ends abrubtly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Almost like he had entirely valid points and completely rational complaints and grievances with American society at the time. Which were ignored in favor of vilifying him as a violent upstart for... some reason.

Oh right, he was a muslim. :911:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh right, he was a muslim. :911:

A black muslim. :eng101:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: f,b.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Zeitgueist posted:

A black muslim. :eng101:

How did that work out for him?

Foma fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 29, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Norwegian police killed one person as of 2013 and were grieving like it was a national tragedy.
Also, the URL of your link literally tells you the story is about Iceland, (not Norway,) an ethnically and socially homogenous island with a population less than that of St Louis or Puerto Rico that is still the most sparsely settled country in Europe, notable mainly for its high levels of human development and utility in genomic studies.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Malcolm X, murdered by his own people, whitey still to blame.

Fucknag posted:

Well it's not like it was an undeserved reputation.

In other news, saw an article alleging Freddie had neck/back surgery a week before his death. Also BPD still seem to be acquitting themselves better than the protesters, in Ferguson I felt like both sides were mostly scum but here the worst thing the protesters have got on the cops is that thing about them showing up outside of a school in force.

semper wifi fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 29, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

semper wifi posted:

In other news, saw an article alleging Freddie had neck/back surgery a week before his death. Also BPD still seem to be acquitting themselves better than the protesters, in Ferguson I felt like both sides were mostly scum but here the worst thing the protesters have got on the cops is that thing about them showing up outside of a school in force.

Hmmm yes excellent points.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

semper wifi posted:

In other news, saw an article alleging Freddie had neck/back surgery a week before his death.

Why is this relevant? You're not arguing he ran from the cops with a pre-broken spine, are you?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

His neck was broken when we found him.
-An excuse good enough for gullible new parents and cop apologists

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
His back was already broken before the police encounter, guys. Case closed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you aren't healthy enough to survive a nickel ride from the cops, really how can you say it's even their fault?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
LA County is buying body cameras for their officers. Buuuuuuut, they won't be releasing footage, and they have a specific rule saying officers are allowed to view the footage before making statements.

chitoryu12 posted:

It also very curiously fails to talk even a little about police murder. We're currently at 381 deaths directly by police or during an arrest as of April 27th. If this trend continues, it's likely that we'll see over 1200 deaths that can be potentially attributed directly to a police officer by the end of the year. Assuming the video's stated 14,000 non-police murders by the end of the year (as the FBI statistics only count criminal murder, not deaths caused by police that are deemed justified or not investigated), American police will actually be committing off-the-record killings equal to 8.5% of the national murder total. In the meantime, Norwegian police killed one person as of 2013 and were grieving like it was a national tragedy.

A killing has to be found to be a murder by a jury, which tosses out the accidental deaths, self-defense killings and manslaughters.

You'd want the number of homicides in a year to accurately compare the "killed by police" number.

Edit: The CDC says there's about 16,000 homicides a year, but then as someone noted the Killed By Police stats include traffic accidents, so that would add the 35,000 traffic accidents from the CDC stats. So 1,200/51,000 and police are responsible for 2.35% of those kinds of deaths.

That video says police are 0.22% of the population, so that's 10x what you'd expect? Probably not though because I'm sure I'm missing something.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 29, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

semper wifi posted:

Actually, I think the worst thing the protesters have on the cops is that they killed a man by severing his spine yet they don't know or wont tell anyone what happened.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

in Ferguson I felt like both sides were mostly scum but here the worst thing the protesters have got on the cops is that thing about them showing up outside of a school in force.

Ahahahaha, no you didn't.

semper wifi posted:

ALright, my bad, I didn't know Wilson was 6'4, thought he was about 5'10 since he doesn't really look that tall in all the pictures of him. I'm not up to date with the latest information on Wilson's height, clearly I know nothing. They were fighting on a street, close enough. Yeah maybe Wilson could have gotten the car in gear and drove off before he got knocked out, maybe not. I see the point about him not being badly injured come up a lot, how badly should he have let Brown hurt him before he pulled out his gun? Should he lose a couple teeth, minimum? Facial fractures? Broken jaw? How long should he tolerate someone assaulting him before he decides to fight back? Lastly the prosecutor didn't want to bring it before a grand jury because he knew he would lose in court, there's no sense in wasting that much time and money on a massive media spectacle of a trial when you already know the outcome. The Zimmerman trial is a good example of why bringing things like this to trial solely because of public pressure is a bad idea.

semper wifi posted:

Tons of people jumped on the shooting and used it to advance an agenda. From the people on the news talking about it to the people organizing the protests on the ground. There was a definite effort to turn this into a thing, it wasn't exclusively spontaneous protesting.

semper wifi posted:

Higher rates of jaywalking citations for blacks sounds pretty bad but really I think it's more likely that it's simply a byproduct of higher black unemployment and lower income, plus a heavier police presence in black neighborhoods. No car ownership plus a lot more free time to spending hanging out/walking around, plus increased police scrutiny - I don't think you need to come up with a big conspiracy to explain the results.

In every one of these threads your like "Guys I really hate cops but even I have to admit that they're completely justified this time". I bring you: the next police brutality thread

semper wifi posted:

in Baltimore I felt like both sides were mostly scum but here in Tulsa the worst thing the protesters have got on the cops is...

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

blackguy32 posted:

Actually, I think the worst thing the protesters have on the cops is that they killed a man by severing his spine yet they don't know or wont tell anyone what happened.

That's probably not even remotely the worst thing just the most recent awful thing.

• Locked thread