Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Ended up buying Disgaea D2, Demon Gaze, Ar nosurge and Natural Doctrine

please send help

...to help me beat these epic anime games, hell yeah

I hope you like Natural Doctrine because that game was my biggest purchasing mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

So while I'm dipping my toes into new JRPG franchises, what are the Dragon Quest games like?

See, I always heard DQ were these fun and colorful games that you played because they were fun and colorful. When it came to story....don't expect anything but bland fantasy stuff.

That was my general belief that I read on some forum god knows how many years ago.

But then I came upon a more recent discussion elsewhere comparing Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest and people were honestly picking DQ over FF in a few instances. DQVI over FFVI, DQVIII over FFXII and a few others but those ones stood out to me. Well some people said DQV over FFV but FFV is definitely a game you play for the battle system more than anything else.

So were my assumptions all off-base? Should I give the DQ series a try? if so, which one to start with?

Theyre boring as poo poo without exception

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon quest 8 is one of the best JRPGs ever made. im not into the rest.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I couldn't get into DQ8 because the combat system was absurdly dull, at least in the couple hours I put into it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not one DQ game has interesting combat but boy do they want you to do a lot of it.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I couldn't get into DQ8 because the combat system was absurdly dull, at least in the couple hours I put into it.

Same. It had everything else going for it, but the combat was so dull and boring that I just couldn't really continue. I guess regular JRPGs just don't do it for me anymore.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

NikkolasKing posted:

So while I'm dipping my toes into new JRPG franchises, what are the Dragon Quest games like?

See, I always heard DQ were these fun and colorful games that you played because they were fun and colorful. When it came to story....don't expect anything but bland fantasy stuff.

That was my general belief that I read on some forum god knows how many years ago.

But then I came upon a more recent discussion elsewhere comparing Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest and people were honestly picking DQ over FF in a few instances. DQVI over FFVI, DQVIII over FFXII and a few others but those ones stood out to me. Well some people said DQV over FFV but FFV is definitely a game you play for the battle system more than anything else.

So were my assumptions all off-base? Should I give the DQ series a try? if so, which one to start with?
Dragon Quest is fun to talk about because it's basically the clearest example of an RPG series that iterated on itself forever.

DQ1 is a simplistic turn based RPG
DQ2 is a simplistic turn based RPG with a 3 person assigned party
DQ3 is a simplistic turn based RPG except now you roll your own party and they can promote/reclass later in the game
DQ4 is a simplistic turn based RPG except now it's presented in chapter form where you get to use assigned characters in each chapter, eventually you get to roll out a party of 4 of the MANY assigned characters with their unique classes in the final chapter

This is when the NES Dragon Quests stopped, and various ports/remakes of the above would come out on the handhelds and stuff. DQ4 is usually seen as the essential classic and a suggested play through because it's got pretty much all the best stuff from the NES Dragon Quests rolled into one.

For SNES, which later got ported to various Playstation remakes:

DQ5 is a simplistic turn based RPG except now instead of chapters, it's done in time arcs and you get to do stuff like choose which girl you want to marry which will impact your kids to some extent and your party. I think this is also the first Dragon Quest to feature true monster recruitment (Healie doesn't count in DQ4, but he is cute enough)

DQ6 umm, I actually forget what DQ6's gimimck was. I think it did something like that Dark World/Light World like in Link from the Past except now it's the dream world and waking world. Anyway it has pre-assigned characters and expands on the monster recruitment aspects.

At this point the PSX kicks into gear and you get DQ7 which is a ummm very wordy and mediocre JRPG. People try to defend this game all the time but it basically took all the most boring aspects of the previous Dragon Quest games and made a game with eleventy billion alternate worlds and mini-arcs. There's an over-arcing plot line but I forgot it. The MC is like a Tykster Link and I never got over it. God I hate this game.

They made remakes for the past Dragon Quests at this point IIRC, so you can find stuff like DQ5 remade for the PSX with a much better soundtrack and nerfed difficulty.

Then PS2 rolls around and you get the best Dragon Quest game: Journey of the Cursed King. When people think colorful and great presentation, this is the one they're talking about. You roll out with 4 assigned characters in this one and you can dole out skill points as they level (this part actually sucks, use a faq). The soundtrack is great, the voice acting is great, and it's just all around fun. It does drag a bit and there's some bizarre difficulty spikes if you are not well versed in DQ games.

After that, I believe the next DQ game was for the 3ds and was like DQ3 on steroids. You rolled your own characters, and reclassed them throughout the game and collected random stuff and beat people up. Not much of a plot in this one and it was so easy that I lost interest very quickly and was pretty much the end of my DQ days. I want to say the next DQ game was an MMO and that was that.

So in short: Journey of the Cursed King if you want the best modern DQ experience. If you want to play the classics, then play DQ5, DQ4, and DQ6 in that order IMO and on whatever systems. I don't think there is much merit in playing DQ1, 2, 3, and definitely not 7.

I'm sure I got some facts wrong here on the ports because it's hard to keep track of all that poo poo. They milk this series like crazy.

[e]Yeah the combat is pretty much the same in every game. It's always turn based, with limited commands. Sometimes there's a dumb gimmick like DEFEND WILL INCREASE YOUR DAMAGE NEXT TURN but it's like, who cares. In DQ8 you can turn into Goku at least

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 29, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Thing about Dragon Quest is that the games are always light-hearted but at the same time take themselves seriously. Given Toriyama's artistic input I think it's accurate to say their tone is similar to Dragon Ball. Fun, colorful adventures with some drama and danger but it always ends with a nod and sincere smile.

The first two games don't offer much but the GBC re-release (Dragon Warrior 1+2 in America) do a lot to balance them to the point where they're actually really good casual RPGs. Dragon Warrior/Quest 3 on GBC is legit a good RPG, I think the best RPG on Gameboy/color and holds its own against more contemporary games. DQIV on DS is good albeit a little simplistic for me, it feels generic in tone and subject matter. DQV is fantastic and its generation spanning story is really rare in the genre. DQVI is a bit more simplistic but brings back the class system for more character customization. DWVII on PS1 is rough. It's not bad it's just entirely too loving long. DQVIII on PS2 is a masterpiece, like holy poo poo it's probably the best RPG on PS2. DQIX on DS isn't as grand as the previous game but again returns to a richer character customization experience.

So the highlights of the series for me are DQ5 and DQ8. I think DQ6 and DQ9 are about equal with DQ7 being a low point for its mammoth and unnecessary length.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 29, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Colgate posted:

Same. It had everything else going for it, but the combat was so dull and boring that I just couldn't really continue. I guess regular JRPGs just don't do it for me anymore.

it gets better when you get a full party with a decent amount of skills but yeah it's pretty boring at the start.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've beaten every mainline Dragon Quest besides VII (because god drat is that a long game) and VIII (just never got around to it), but I only really pull them out when I want a grind. The battle systems are never terribly interesting, though occasionally the job systems are. And the plots are either just window dressing, or overall kind of eh.

Best games in the series to me are the Monster games.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd legit pay full price for a DQ8 port that added a fast forward button and maybe a few other bells and whistles.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hope you like Natural Doctrine because that game was my biggest purchasing mistake.

My biggest purchasing mistake when it comes to RPGs, is still probably Fable 3.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Srice posted:

I'd legit pay full price for a DQ8 port that added a fast forward button and maybe a few other bells and whistles.

This but for 7. There's something interesting hiding in that trainwreck but it's too easy to screw yourself with the job system and I always lose track of stuff with just how long and plodding the story is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hm, well, thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll put DQ on the backburner for now however. I'm just noticing there are a lot of big JRPG franchises that I never uses to acknowledge. I thought Final Fantasy was unique but nope. There's DQ, Atelier, SMT, Tales....

Persona 3 is on sale on PSN too. Maybe I can scoop that up along with whatever Tales game I get. I don't know what it is but Persona 3 and 4 are games people can never stop raving about online. Then again, the Persona games are kinda their own thing now and would not be an accurate intro to the SMT series from what I know.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

it gets better when you get a full party with a decent amount of skills but yeah it's pretty boring at the start.
If you dump all of Yangus's skill points into Fisticuffs after like 6 in Axe for Helm Splitter he'll get Thin Air by level 12-14 or so and suddenly pretty much all complaints about the slowness of the random encounters in the game evaporates as quickly as a Hero boomerang toss + Yangus Thin Air evaporates the monsters.

DQ8 is an exception to the rule though, other than having a similar combat system. In terms of polish and presentation it's leagues beyond other DQ games, other PS2 games, and honestly other JRPGs period. If the polish and presentation is what makes it fun for you (it did for me), you probably won't be as keen on the others.

EDIT: Any good PS4 PSN games on sale right now? I'm kinda pooping out on Bloodborne and there aren't any other games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Hm, well, thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll put DQ on the backburner for now however. I'm just noticing there are a lot of big JRPG franchises that I never uses to acknowledge. I thought Final Fantasy was unique but nope. There's DQ, Atelier, SMT, Tales....

Persona 3 is on sale on PSN too. Maybe I can scoop that up along with whatever Tales game I get. I don't know what it is but Persona 3 and 4 are games people can never stop raving about online. Then again, the Persona games are kinda their own thing now and would not be an accurate intro to the SMT series from what I know.

Keep in mind though that P3/4 are life-sim/JRPG hybrids, with a focus on the life-sim part, as opposed to most other MegaTen games being 100% an RPG of some kind. I've liked most other Atlus-developed RPGs that I've tried, but I played P3FES for about 10 hours and it never really clicked with me. Still going to give P5 a shot though since Atlus has a good record in my mind with reducing the tedious aspects of their games over time.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 29, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dragon Quest is the anti-Final Fantasy. Where FF constantly evolves from title to title, DQ does all it can to stay the same. I wouldn't call DQ8 combat "boring" so much as it is "classic". If you grew up in the 80s playing DQ1, then it's a charming throwback. (albeit one that overstays its welcome by about 40 hours)

Motto posted:

Keep in mind though that P3/4 are life-sim/JRPG hybrids, with a focus on the life-sim part, as opposed to most other MegaTen games being 100% an RPG of some kind. I've liked most other Atlus-developed RPGs that I've tried, but I played P3FES for about 10 hours and it never really clicked with me. Still going to give P5 a shot though since Atlus has a good record in my mind with reducing the tedious aspects of their games over time.

FWIW, I stopped playing Persona 3 about 10 hours in as well, but P4G is one of my favorite games of all time. The plot and characters are miles better, IMO, and that got me very hooked. (but I'm a sucker for the 'life' parts)

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The best Dragon Quest game is Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, but that isn't relevant to an RPG thread.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Dragon Quest games are basically the games that you play if you want a charming playthrough to see where 90% of all the classic JRPG cliches originate from.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

NikkolasKing posted:

DQVI over FFVI,

I'm gonna assume that's V and not VI, DQ V has one of the dopest jrpg stories, DQVI is super soulless and boring.

Also DQVIII is one of the most gorgeous, fully realized worlds the genre has produced and its amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my favorite part of dq7 is walking for three hours during the intro without seeing a battle

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

my favorite part of dq7 is walking for three hours during the intro without seeing a battle

yeah the intro is really great.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kild posted:

yeah the intro is really great.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Dragon Quest VII is the only game in the entire series I haven't beaten.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DQ8 had possibly my favorite world map in any game because it was full of interesting nooks and crannies to mess around in while still being a full world map. I guess WA5 came close though.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Microcline posted:

The best Dragon Quest game is Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, but that isn't relevant to an RPG thread.

rocket slime owns

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest is really good because it's understated. The writing is restrained, the gameplay develops modestly, the art is all super iconic Akira Toriyama designs (he excels at monsters which is good because you'll be seeing a lot of them).

Gameplay is solid, well-iterated-upon, with few to no gimmicks. In a JRPG the gameplay is the best around the middle of the game, when you have enough tools to respond to combat in interesting ways but the game doesn't feel obligated to throw extreme challenges at you with regularity. Dragon Quest games have really long middles; as soon as your party mage can cast Snooze, every battle has enough variation to keep you engaged, and it's typically not until the final dungeon that the fights turn into assholes. (Bosses can get really tense. There's pretty strong elements of randomness. Its designer loves gambling.)

5 has the best story, 9 has the most well-rounded gameplay (don't bother with the post-game, it becomes a grindfest), 8 is the complete package but some don't like how slow it is, 3 is the distilled essence of classic RPGs and is the first one in the series that still holds up. Pick up the most recent release of any of them.

What you need to understand about Dragon Quest is that it is designed to be an RPG that can be enjoyed even by people who have only a dim understanding of what a video game even is. The designer played Ultima and Wizardry in the 80s and loved it and wanted to share that love with the world. It doesn't try to shake things up with unique gimmicks, nor minimize the qualities it has in common with other games in the genre; instead, it polishes the fundamentals until they shine.

That said, if you dislike puns, 1) you should give it a miss 2) we are enemies now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Almost thought this sale had nothing for me but then I saw Resonance of Fate for 10 bucks. :getin:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't get why people say Tales of Graces story makes no sense, it seems to make perfect sense and is just supposed to be rather basic because everything is character driven.

unless there is some last minute reveal like Final Fantasy 9 or some poo poo. Also Pascal is Rogue from Xmen.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 29, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no one says that, they say it's bad

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't get why people say Tales of Graces story makes no sense, it seems to make perfect sense and is just supposed to be rather basic because everything is character driven.

unless there is some last minute reveal like Final Fantasy 9 or some poo poo. Also Pascal is Rogue from Xmen.
What? It makes perfect sense. TOMADAAAAACCHIIIII

It's just childish most of the time

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cake Attack posted:

no one says that, they say it's bad

How is it bad it seems pretty harmless like it's not even on the level of Arc Rise Fantasia or Time and Eternity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What is a great story, because I have never heard of an RPG that has a great story that also played well. At best, it's a decent basic story so they can't gently caress it up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Tae posted:

What is a great story, because I have never heard of an RPG that has a great story that also played well. At best, it's a decent basic story so they can't gently caress it up.
Motherfucking Earthbound

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I beat Xillia 1 and 2 so Graces was the only other one I had other than Symphonia HD and gently caress sorting through 300+ PS2 games to try and find my copy of Abyss and the other PS2 ones because they're in boxes.

So that's why I picked graces. Tell me of the stupid poo poo I am supposed to eventually endure

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tae posted:

Dragon Quest V.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I only ever beat DQ1 and 4 but I liked 4 a ton, especially Torneko's chapter. I guess others liked that chapter a ton too seeing as it's that chapter that spawned the Mystery Dungeon series.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rascyc posted:

Motherfucking Earthbound

I dunno if I'd say Earthbound plays well, though. I mean, I think it's a great game, but gameplay-wise it's Dragon Quest with LSD and good encounter design.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tae posted:

Idk, Shadow Hearts Covenant had a pretty great story. I'd toss Shadow Hearts 1 in there but its gameplay was pretty standard turn based stuff even with the judgment ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

So that's why I picked graces. Tell me of the stupid poo poo I am supposed to eventually endure

Mostly: "No! This guy really absolutely must have some good in him! He's started maniacally laughing and murdering the world's energy sources, and he's leaking purple flame like crazy, but there's definitely still good in him!"

e: That said, the adventures of Asbel 'Bloo-Bloo Dramatic Rain' Lhant are pretty hilarious