Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

norp posted:

Dont' listen to him craig, deep down everyone wants you here.

Otherwise they would just completely ignore you

Thanks for the reassurance norp.

Obviously my life would mean nothing without auspol acceptance so posts like that are always a blow. I'll just keep trying to look past the butt hurt of others and continue to make good posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

open24hours posted:

I think a foreign effort to 'educate' the Indonesians would backfire. Changes like this have to come from within to be credible.

The Four Corners story on them suggested there wasn't a lot of support for the death penalty for foreigners amongst the public for fear of a backlash in tourism.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You Am I posted:

5/ YOU'RE POSTING
6/ Your posting.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Onya Harold!

quote:

Proud baby boomer here. What a terrific young lad, really showing up the rest of the younger spoilt generation who think they deserve a house without little sacrifice. Well wake up, stop having those coffee's everyday and save. My generation had to put up with interest rates at 17%, imagine that young people if you can?, and yet I've been able to accumulate a portfolio mixture of 12 apartments/townhouses by my late 50's, making me a multi-millionaire and self sufficient from the government. I did this by not buying a new plasma every 2 years and skipping on luxuries like $5 coffees for a long time. It's called sacrifice. Let's stop this generation of leaners and encourage the minority of adults like these who are looking after their own future and retirement. Kudos to you young lad.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Somebody please do this in this country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11561044/Ukips-youth-wing-in-quotes.html?frame=3279660

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Quote young libs/lab or bring UKIP here?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

norp posted:

Dont' listen to him craig, deep down everyone wants you here.

Otherwise they would just completely ignore you

I'm not going to stand by while someone talks poo poo about anidav. He's my favorite poster.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Operation Yewtree Intensifies

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Kegslayer fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 29, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

HARRY POTTER NO!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Bring back child labour(but only white children) - UKIP 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

What the actual gently caress

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm shocked that person isn't a polisci grad

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Ahahaha the 27 year old sitting in the chair like a grand statesman.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm shocked that person isn't a polisci grad

His name made him easy to find

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/meet-ukips-first-goth-alternative-5243288

quote:

Mr Hengsuan, who is standing to be a councillor for the party in May, says the older members of Ukip are actually more welcoming of his style than people his own age.

The music lover based his look on 80s goth heroes The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees and decided to join Ukip as he believes party leader Nigel Farage talks for young people.

You've managed to insult goth music and the youth in the same breath.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lid posted:

HARRY POTTER NO!

Yes, this fifteen year old knows many things about employment.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
^^^ Uh, I'd say he knows a lot about job creation.
He's employed at least 6 gnomes to craft his glasses.

norp posted:

Quote young libs/lab or bring UKIP here?

The former. UKIP would probably win government if they bought their poo poo here.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

UKIP is at least trying to include youth rather than expanding adolescence to 30.

no man children, actual children.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Lid posted:

What the actual gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vC7PnGWf1Y

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Graic Gabtar posted:

Why are you still here?

Huh? What did I ever do to you? I mean since telling you to shove cyanide up your buttocks ive been pretty chill, no?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Kommando posted:

UKIP is at least trying to include youth rather than expanding adolescence to 30.

no man children, actual children.

Hitlerjugend

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Strayan flag good
Burka bad
Me Brain Hurt

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Strayan flag good
Burka bad
Me Brain Hurt

Not burqas, all good :)

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Strayan flag good
Burka bad
Me Brain Hurt

I won't stand for our flag to be disrespected like this.

*pukes into flag cape and lobs it at Dazza*

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birdstrike posted:

Not burqas, all good :)

Like people actually know what a burqa is.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bali Nine: fresh calls for review of federal police actions that led to executions

Independent senator Nick Xenophon has called for a fresh review of the actions of the Australian federal police in tipping off Indonesian authorities about the Bali Nine drug-smuggling syndicate, which has culminated in the execution of two Australian citizens.

Two other politicians – Clive Palmer and Cathy McGowan – also announced they would present legislation to parliament to outlaw information-sharing that could lead to the death penalty being applied in foreign countries.

The proposals follow Indonesia’s decision to proceed with the firing-squad execution of Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan on Wednesday, despite repeated appeals for clemency by the Australian government.

The prime minister, Tony Abbott, decided to withdraw Australia’s ambassador to Jakarta and to freeze ministerial visits in protest, but the executions have prompted calls from some politicians for renewed scrutiny of the AFP’s conduct in 2005.

The AFP provided information that resulted in the arrest of the so-called Bali Nine group before their departure from Indonesia to Australia with heroin. AFP officials have previously argued they were operating within protocols in place at the time, but conceded they were aware that the tip-off could lead to charges punishable with the death penalty.

It is understood the AFP plans to comment in more detail to defend its actions, but will not do so on Wednesday out of respect for the families.

Xenophon said he would write on Wednesday to parliament’s joint standing committee on foreign affairs to ask it to look at the matter.

He indicated he would ask questions in Senate estimates hearings about “the degree of AFP cooperation with the Indonesian authorities that apparently sealed the fate of these two young men”.

“This is not about recriminations,” Xenophon told the ABC. “It is about making sure that this never, ever happens again.”

He told Guardian Australia: “I understand and appreciate the work the AFP does, but I understand that within the AFP itself – whatever is said publicly – there is extreme unease about how this unfolded. Two men are dead and that needs honest scrutiny.”

Palmer, meanwhile, said all Australian politicians should work together “to ensure something like this never happens again”.

The leader of the Palmer United party released the draft of a private member’s bill he planned to present to parliament to address the issue.

It would create a new offence for public officials and former public officials “who disclose information resulting in a person being tried, investigated, prosecuted or punished for an offence that carries the death penalty in a foreign country”.

An official found guilty of such a disclosure could face a jail term of up to 15 years, with a mandatory minimum sentence of one year.

The offence would not apply to all disclosures. There would be an exception “if the foreign death penalty offence is constituted by conduct that involves a terrorist act or act of violence that causes death or endangers life”.

“Australian families need to know that the Australian federal police won’t put Australian citizens in this position again,” Palmer said.

McGowan, who intends to second Palmer’s motion, said it was important that Australians were not complicit in capital punishment.

“I think this bill will open up the discussion that we can take political action around it,” she said. “We’re bringing our ambassador home but we need to have a discussion around the other parts of the system.”

Policies surrounding information sharing were tightened in 2009.

Current AFP guidelines allow cooperation with foreign law enforcement agencies before someone is charged with offences that could lead to the death penalty, but senior managers must weigh up factors before approving such contact.

The criteria include the seriousness of the suspected criminal activity, the reliability of the information, the age and personal circumstances of the person involved, Australia’s interest in securing cooperation from overseas agencies, and the risk of the death penalty being imposed.

However, ministerial approval is required for the sharing of information after someone has been detained, arrested, charged or convicted of an offence that carries the death penalty.

The leader of the Greens, Christine Milne, called for a “full, independent investigation” into the information sharing, saying the role of the federal police in the case should not be forgotten.

“Those men should have been arrested in Australia, not Indonesia, to protect them from a punishment the entire parliament condemns,” she said.

Milne said Australia should cease collaborating with Indonesian drug authorities until the country stopped executing drug smugglers of any nationality.

The opposition leader, Bill Shorten, said it was legitimate to ask whether the guidelines should be tightened further, but this was not the appropriate day for such discussions.

The foreign affairs minister, Julie Bishop, said the AFP’s involvement “was reviewed a number of years ago and changes were made”.

“We are satisfied that the changes that are in place were appropriate but I don’t believe today is the time to look for recriminations,” she said.

“Now is a time to be thinking of the Chan and Sukumaran families, to spare a thought for what they are going through today and to provide them with all the support and assistance that we can.”

When pressed on whether future law enforcement cooperation would be conditional on the death penalty not applying, Bishop said: “After the federal police reviewed its operations in relation to this matter, guidelines are in place and we’re satisfied with those guidelines.”

Brisbane barrister Bob Myers, whose appeal to the AFP on behalf of Scott Rush’s family in 2005 that he be apprehended before leaving Australia was ignored, said the government needed to “recognise, acknowledge and condemn” the agency’s actions.

“The PM is saying this is not the time for it. This is the time for it,” Myers said.

“(The AFP) continue to deny even today they’ve got blood on their hands, they continue to deny they did anything wrong, they assert that they would do exactly the same thing today as they did then. All of those are lies.”

The former justice minister Chris Ellison, who was responsible for the AFP at the time of the Bali Nine operation, told Sky News: “I think that to say the Australian federal police has blood on its hands is unfair. I think that in times like these there’s a lot of high emotion which I can understand … but I think that when it comes to law enforcement cool heads should prevail.”

In 2006, senior AFP official Michael Phelan told the ABC he was ultimately responsible for the decision to hand the information to the Indonesian police. He said the exchange of intelligence was important in combating transnational crime.

“The laws of this country prohibit the importation of drugs and it, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that that occurs, and sometimes we have to cooperate with countries overseas that have the death penalty and it’s an unfortunate collateral effect of supplying that information,” Phelan said at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/29/bali-nine-fresh-calls-for-review-of-federal-police-actions-that-led-to-executions

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Huh? What did I ever do to you? I mean since telling you to shove cyanide up your buttocks ive been pretty chill, no?

You're supposed to be off to Indonesia completing your life's work as suggested by SadisTech.

Dabbling in chemistry or something.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Does withdrawing the ambassador actually mean anything? It seems like it's more disruptive to the ambassador than anything else. I have no idea what purpose they serve in the first place so I'm keen to be enlightened.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just a depressing reminder that UKIP leader last week believed that Australia's treatment of asylum seekers was too tough.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

fliptophead posted:

Does withdrawing the ambassador actually mean anything? It seems like it's more disruptive to the ambassador than anything else. I have no idea what purpose they serve in the first place so I'm keen to be enlightened.

I'm no expert but I gather a lot of diplomatic message sending is done through a lot of symbolic stuff like that, and withdrawing an ambassador is code for saying "we're really pissed of with you guys". Doesn't make a lot of sense in practical terms but it's better than going back to the days of raping and pillaging a border town to make your point.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

I'm no expert but I gather a lot of diplomatic message sending is done through a lot of symbolic stuff like that, and withdrawing an ambassador is code for saying "we're really pissed of with you guys". Doesn't make a lot of sense in practical terms but it's better than going back to the days of raping and pillaging a border town to make your point.

I figured as much but want sure if there was anything beyond that...

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

The business of being an embassy continues for usual services but there's no management for the locals to complain to.

Largely symbolic.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Might not mean much these days with other communication, but an ambassador is a countries representative, it severs high level communications between the countries.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Nibbles! posted:

Might not mean much these days with other communication, but an ambassador is a countries representative, it severs high level communications between the countries.

Doesn't mean much in a world of email and satellites.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
The text below some of those ukip images is crazier than the text in them

quote:

Ramon Menon, 17, is studying for his AS Levels at St. Paul's School in Barnes. "Everyone at school discusses the election,' he says. 'But they just support the Conservatives because their parents do. I think there's something morally repugnant about voting Tory."

quote:

Charlie Amos, 15, is a GCSE student from East Ginstead, Sussex. "People say Ukip would take Britain back to the 1950s, but there were lots of good things about the 1950s," he says.

quote:

A lot of young people around me were saying it was too difficult to get jobs, what with all these Polish and Romanian people around. Everyone on TV suggested English people are just lazy, but then Nigel came out and said, 'No, they're not lazy; they just haven't been given the opportunities.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The text below some of those ukip images is crazier than the text in them

Also not one woman among them. I don't want to go all :biotruths: but I think women are somehow less predisposed to having poo poo political views.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Won't someone think of the white male with their lack of opportunities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tirade posted:

Also not one woman among them. I don't want to go all :biotruths: but I think women are somehow less predisposed to having poo poo political views.

• Locked thread