Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

XboxPants posted:

That's 100% true though.

I've also been watching Dragon Ball for the first time, and I recently went through the Tien tournament. When he had his fight against Jackie Chun/Roshi, and Roshi decided that his time was over and it was time make way for the next generation of fighters, and he just calmly walked away in the middle of the fight, I started thinking "wait a second, I've seen this plot somewhere before... OH poo poo CELL GAMES". Goku very much did learn his parenting skills from Roshi.

I'm still in the Tien tournament myself. Krillin beating Chiaotzu was hilarious AND educational!

I learned some math from it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

RaspberryCommie posted:

It's a spoiler even.

After all. Whiskey is stronger than Beer.

What drink is stronger than whiskey?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What drink is stronger than whiskey?

The God of the Gods of Destruction; Absinthe

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Stallion Cabana posted:

The God of the Gods of Destruction; Absinthe

Nah, that'd be Alcohol. Absinthe could be second in command.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
I hope we get to see more of Tarble in the new series. Also Jaco

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So what you're saying is that the very last final last opponent of Dragonball Whatever will be something stronger than any alcohol.

I nominate the literal Saiyan deity, Kannabisu.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fucknag posted:

So what you're saying is that the very last final last opponent of Dragonball Whatever will be something stronger than any alcohol.

I nominate the literal Saiyan deity, Kannabisu.

Everyone asking for more representation of lady fighters will be happy to meet our new heroine, Heroin.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I know people like to talk poo poo about how dumb this Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan poo poo is but in my opinion the original Super Saiyan look is still the best, and just using that form but with minimal changes is all good in my book. IMO Super Saiyan 3 is really dumb and I'm sort of glad that Toriyama decided to basically retcon it out of existence. The only guy who ever looked good as a Super Saiyan 3 was Gotenks because he's kind of a comedy character and Super Saiyan 3 just looks hilarious anyways.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only reason I kinda liked SS3 when I first saw it was because in the manga he kinda looked like an angel come to kick butt, but with hair instead of wings.

And when I saw the anime, it was Sean Schemmel's screaming and the world loving tearing itself apart that sold me on it.

The thing I like about Super Saiyan God is that it isn't directly a straight shoot of power up, but more like a divine rank in D&D terms in that it grants unique perks and benefits parallel to straight power.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't mind SSJ3. It made them look even more primal which seemed to be the Saiyans whole thing. It was the most drastic transformation though, that's for sure. Even when Goku went SSJ for the first time he was still just Goku, but blonde this time. SSJ3 made him look like a completely different animal

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SS3 is cool because it was pretty much tailor-made for Gotenks and Gotenks rocks so therefore SS3 rocks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mischitary posted:

I know people like to talk poo poo about how dumb this Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan poo poo is but in my opinion the original Super Saiyan look is still the best, and just using that form but with minimal changes is all good in my book. IMO Super Saiyan 3 is really dumb and I'm sort of glad that Toriyama decided to basically retcon it out of existence. The only guy who ever looked good as a Super Saiyan 3 was Gotenks because he's kind of a comedy character and Super Saiyan 3 just looks hilarious anyways.

SSJ3 was used for a few minutes in Battle of Gods...hardly 'retconned out of existence'. Rendered obsolete, if anything. SSJ4 is the one that's going to be retconned out of the 'real' timeline.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I wouldn't worry too much about SSj4, if you liked it. Toriyama may never use it, but it's definitely something that the corp that owns Dragonball is going to throw into all dragonball merchandise till the end of time.

Also, seriously pumped for Super Dragonball.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

SyntheticPolygon posted:

SS3 is cool because it was pretty much tailor-made for Gotenks and Gotenks rocks so therefore SS3 rocks.

It really worked on Gotenks far better than it ever did on Goku. Or even any other Saiyan, if you count all those video game what-if scenarios throughout the years.

Still, I could never make up my mind as to whether I loved Gotenks or hated him. He was far more interesting/entertaining than Goten and Kid Trunks ever were. Sure, he acted like a douchenozzle, but that's what made him fun to watch. I wouldn't mind seeing more fun with fusion in the new series if they're clever about it.

SSJ4 was just a big head-scratcher for me. The whole turns-into-a-golden-super-saiyan-ape-to-turn-into-a-red-saiyan-ape-man thing was just bizarre.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Last night I had a horrible revelation. I never finished Dragonball GT. I only watched to JUST AFTER the Baby Saga I believe.

I never watched the 24(?) episodes after.

Now I feel this odd need to finish it. Was a little odd to see episode 43 be somewhat of a rehash of Fusion Reborn though...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

I didn't mind SSJ3. It made them look even more primal which seemed to be the Saiyans whole thing. It was the most drastic transformation though, that's for sure. Even when Goku went SSJ for the first time he was still just Goku, but blonde this time. SSJ3 made him look like a completely different animal

Oh yeah, I always wondered if SSJ3 was not actually a higher level of transformation, but SSJ2 Goku figuring out how to half-transform into Oozaru, hence the somewhat supported by the somewhat higher increase in power but not quite to the extent of x10 that the show established at times that a full Oozaru was.

I still can't figure out how the gently caress it affects time though, because Baba must be working under some really weird-rear end rules if Goku using his full power from the after life somehow also drains time from a clock that ticks down as he uses that power. That poo poo will never make sense to me, it'd make more sense if he was just close on the clock regardless.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Mordaedil posted:

Oh yeah, I always wondered if SSJ3 was not actually a higher level of transformation, but SSJ2 Goku figuring out how to half-transform into Oozaru, hence the somewhat supported by the somewhat higher increase in power but not quite to the extent of x10 that the show established at times that a full Oozaru was.

I still can't figure out how the gently caress it affects time though, because Baba must be working under some really weird-rear end rules if Goku using his full power from the after life somehow also drains time from a clock that ticks down as he uses that power. That poo poo will never make sense to me, it'd make more sense if he was just close on the clock regardless.

I made a huge effort post on this before if you want to check my previous posts in this thread. And it's all based on TV show canon, not manga. But to summarize:

Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 are the same form, SSj2 is just a refined version that has been fine tuned for combat. It's min/maxing for Saiyans.

"Ultra" Super Saiyan is just 100% ki output. The same technique used by Roshi and Freeza when they bulk up. It's not a separate form unto itself.

Super Saiyan 3 is Super Saiyan 2 with 25%~ Oozharu mixed in. It's the result of a Super Saiyan beginning to embrace their true nature. That's why they gain an ape-like brow-ridge and the hair of a wildman. Keep in mind that Oozharu is the "real" form of the Saiyan's and the human bodies they inhabit are not natural. The Saiyans learned how to compact themselves into human form in order to control their power, while Blutz waves can break the seal of this technique and allow the Saiyan to revert back to his natural beast state.

Golden Oozharu is simply an Oozharu going Super Saiyan. By all accounts this is the actual form of a Saiyan and that's why the Legendary Super Saiyan is depicted as a Golden Oozharu.

Super Saiyan 4 is the full 100% transformative potential of a Saiyan individual. It is a perfect amalgamation of the maximum potential of a Super Saiyan and their true Oozharu form, then compacted back down into a humanoid body to facilitate speed and finesse as well as being a smaller target. It's what happens when a Golden Oozharu uses the same technique the ancient Saiyans used to create human bodies to contain their destructive power.

Then you've got Super Saiyan God which isn't actually a Super Saiyan. Goku is in base form while fighting as an SSjG. (Based God, if you will). He then goes Super Saiyan while fighting Golden Freeza and thus becomes an actual Super Saiyan God, fulfilling the Oracle Fishes prophecy

Esroc fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 29, 2015

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Baba's deal was that she gave a dead guy enough energy to exist for a day. Goku went SSJ 3 and used it all up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Esroc posted:

I made a huge effort post on this before if you want to check my previous posts in this thread. And it's all based on TV show canon, not manga. But to summarize:

Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 are the same form, SSj2 is just a refined version that has been fine tuned for combat. It's min/maxing for Saiyans.

"Ultra" Super Saiyan is just 100% ki output. The same technique used by Roshi and Freeza when they bulk up. It's not a separate form unto itself.

Super Saiyan 3 is Super Saiyan 2 with 25%~ Oozharu mixed in. It's the result of a Super Saiyan beginning to embrace their true nature. That's why they gain an ape-like brow-ridge and the hair of a wildman. Keep in mind that Oozharu is the "real" form of the Saiyan's and the human bodies they inhabit are not natural. The Saiyans learned how to compact themselves into human form in order to control their power, while Blutz waves can break the seal of this technique and allow the Saiyan to revert back to his natural beast state.

Golden Oozharu is simply an Oozharu going Super Saiyan. By all accounts this is the actual form of a Saiyan and that's why the Legendary Super Saiyan is depicted as a Golden Oozharu.

Super Saiyan 4 is the full 100% transformative potential of a Saiyan individual. It is a perfect amalgamation of the maximum potential of a Super Saiyan and their true Oozharu form, then compacted back down into a humanoid body to facilitate speed and finesse as well as being a smaller target. It's what happens when a Golden Oozharu uses the same technique the ancient Saiyans used to create human bodies to contain their destructive power.

Then you've got Super Saiyan God which isn't actually a Super Saiyan. Goku is in base form while fighting as an SSjG. (Based God, if you will). He then goes Super Saiyan while fighting Golden Freeza and thus becomes an actual Super Saiyan God, fulfilling the Oracle Fishes prophecy

I like it.

I know this new series is a continuation of the new movies, I'd love a Dragon Ball story WAY down the historical line- like the brief glimpse you get of "Goku Jr." and "Vegeta Jr." (where somehow these families of monkey people from outer space haven't kept in touch over the years???), only not even SSJ yet. Tone the power levels WAY down- back to Dragon Ball/Saiyan Saga poo poo. A whole new group, facing new adversity. Maybe throw in a few easter eggs now and then, with King Kai telling stories, or an aged Piccolo or Dende being a mentor. Have the big bad be whoever rises to fill the power gap left behind by Frieza and King Cold's deaths, and a whole new team of humans and people with a few drops of Saiyan blood rising up to stop them. Students of Krillin's Turtle Hermit school, or Tien's Crane School.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 29, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Esroc posted:

This fits perfectly with my headcannon, I like it thusly. :downs:

Shame that it can work for us on an individual level, but not for discussing dragon ball on large. Since it actually demands a little bit of multi-layered thinking.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

This fits perfectly with my headcannon, I like it thusly. :downs:

Shame that it can work for us on an individual level, but not for discussing dragon ball on large. Since it actually demands a little bit of multi-layered thinking.

That's what I love most about Dragonball. The lore, when you get right down to it, is actually pretty vague which opens up a lot of room for headcanon.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Last night I had a horrible revelation. I never finished Dragonball GT. I only watched to JUST AFTER the Baby Saga I believe.

I never watched the 24(?) episodes after.

Now I feel this odd need to finish it. Was a little odd to see episode 43 be somewhat of a rehash of Fusion Reborn though...

I don't get why people feel this way. DBGT sucks, I know DBGT sucks, I won't watch something that sucks. Never seen an episode of DBGT and never will, and I am ok with that.

I'm tepid about the new series, honestly. It could be good, but it could be GT levels of bad too. The BoG movie is pretty good, but I just want to reserve judgment until it comes out. I still think the whole God Ki thing really complicates the story a bit.

Also, something that crossed my mind reading the thread last night. Radditz came to earth to get Goku, right? How were they going to fit in his tiny little spaceship?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I don't get why people feel this way. DBGT sucks, I know DBGT sucks, I won't watch something that sucks. Never seen an episode of DBGT and never will, and I am ok with that.

I'm tepid about the new series, honestly. It could be good, but it could be GT levels of bad too. The BoG movie is pretty good, but I just want to reserve judgment until it comes out. I still think the whole God Ki thing really complicates the story a bit.

Also, something that crossed my mind reading the thread last night. Radditz came to earth to get Goku, right? How were they going to fit in his tiny little spaceship?

He didn't necessarily plan on leaving with him immediately. As far as he knew Goku was reigning over Dragonworld as God King Kakarot. He could have easily just intended to meet up with him, explain the whole Saiyan thing, and send a ship to pick him up later.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
There was also probably a decent chance Goku's pop was still intact. At least intact enough to repair, I guess.

I mean, isn't that how Dr Briefs got Goku to Namek in the end?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I have a different theory about how Ki works. Should I post it and you can point out whatever may be wrong with it?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I have a different theory about how Ki works. Should I post it and you can point out whatever may be wrong with it?

I'm always up for other peoples interpretations. That's half the fun!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's way more thought than Toriyama ever put into it.

The numbered transformations are just higher tiers of Super Saiyan and SSJ3 gets the pronounced brow (Golden Frieza gets this, strangely) and long rear end hair because he thought it looked good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Esroc posted:

so where does Broly's LSSJ form and Goku's "False" Super Saiyan form(from Lord Slug) fit into this?(cause if we're including Golden Oozaru and SSJ4 it's only fair to include those states as well)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Goku's false form is Goku using kaioken x50 (same as a super saiyan) and Broly is just Broly. It's not unique, it's just how he looks super saiyan.

:v:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Yeah I always thought Broly was "Legendary" because he achieved it at such a young age or something and he is just 100% full-on anger in that form.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think the "official" explanation is that Broly is just a mutant freak of nature and the "legendary" form is his own thing applied to his SSJ form, not some special version of Super Saiyan.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Mutants seem to be pretty powerful in Dragon Ball, King Cold's family, Broly...

Next Dragon Ball villains?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Raserys posted:

Mutants seem to be pretty powerful in Dragon Ball, King Cold's family, Broly...

Next Dragon Ball villains?

No, perhaps some sort of Mechanized Mutant.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Xad posted:

Yeah I always thought Broly was "Legendary" because he achieved it at such a young age or something and he is just 100% full-on anger in that form.

I liked DBM's explanation where he is the "Legendary" SS because he constantly gains power without training. Just via existing, he's getting stronger.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
DRAGON DRAGON WALK THE DRAGON NEW DRAGON BALL ZEEEEYAAAA!

I'm hype.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

:yikes:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Dragons need regular exercise and fresh air.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gonzo McFee posted:

DRAGON DRAGON WALK THE DRAGON NEW DRAGON BALL ZEEEEYAAAA!

I'm hype.

new thread title

Dragonball Z: DRAGON DRAGON WALK THE DRAGON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I think the "official" explanation is that Broly is just a mutant freak of nature and the "legendary" form is his own thing applied to his SSJ form, not some special version of Super Saiyan.

The "official" explanation is that he's the reincarnation of the LSSJ, that appears every 1000 years or something. It's only canon to things he's in, though. LSSJ works uniquely to him in anything he's in, and otherwise it just plain doesn't really exist.

It's one of those things where you can't really try to apply it to the TV/manga canon, because it explicitly has to follow different rules there.

• Locked thread