Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Magni posted:

So apparently the Warspite is bugged all to hell and can get citadel-penned through her belt armor by destroyers currently. :allears:

Not bugged, they put in the wrong armor values.

I'm not a scholar of naval warfare but that reaaaaally doesn't seem right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Well, I'd call that a bug. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

7500 dollary-doos? That's a spicy meat-a-ball.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Nah, the armor is working as intended! What little there is, anyway.

My guess is they meant to put in 150 or whatever and put in 15. These things, they happen, da?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Definitely a bug. Those are clearly the armor values for the Hood. :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Zaodai posted:

7500 dollary-doos? That's a spicy meat-a-ball.

It turns out I'm a liar and am not actually going to be picking up the Warspite because screw that noise. If they're doing what I think they've been doing and making all the 6+ premiums earn like mad I think I like that though, it'll give more variety in tier when getting money.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So pubbies who Wiki'ed the Warspite are already starting to bleat about how 'non-historical' the range is on the 15" guns.

"SEE HERE, I AM A SCHOLAR IN NAVAL WARFARE AS OF TEN MINUTES AGO AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW FOR A *FACT* THAT THE WARSPITE CAN HIT TO 24KM!"

Well if they're going to give it that short a range they probably shouldn't have it be in post-refit trim with nice and visible turret modifications to get greater elevation.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Well, Warspite does hold the record for the longest-range main battery hit in history (~23km), so its kind of wacky that its outranged by pretty much every other BB at its tier.

Edit: LMAO Wargaming typoed the belt armor values, its only 15mm and can be penned by DDs.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 29, 2015

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
If you bought the warspite with tokens, it would carry over to regular play, then you'd get your tokens back?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MadWOPR posted:

If you bought the warspite with tokens, it would carry over to regular play, then you'd get your tokens back?

According to the forums, Gunlion says he isn't sure if Warspite will be a 'CBT-only' ship, meaning you'd have to buy it before OBT goes live to keep it (implying it'll only be available to CBT players...at least for a while). They did the same thing with a plane in WoWP that no one ended up using.

The definitive answer is that whatever tokens and allocated premium time you use now will be reapplied when the game goes OBT.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PirateBob posted:

Is the My Profile page gone for everyone on the WoWS site?

Nope, appears to be gone for me. I had my own bookmarked, and now that URL takes me to the CBT News page.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Claiming it might be CBT only is just a marketing tactic to get pubbies to rush for the drat thing. Wargaming might get some more of my money, but its definitely not on stupid ships that I have never heard of before. These ships will be great at first and be awesome money makers. Then people will figure them out, other ships will be added and in the end its going to be the Lowe and Type59 all over again. No thank you. I might go for a premium account or something, but that is most likely it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So - question - what first three skills should be picked up with a three-skill captain?

I should note that the only ships I currently have a +3 on are the Iwaki Alpha and the St. Louis.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 29, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dalael posted:

Claiming it might be CBT only is just a marketing tactic to get pubbies to rush for the drat thing. Wargaming might get some more of my money, but its definitely not on stupid ships that I have never heard of before. These ships will be great at first and be awesome money makers. Then people will figure them out, other ships will be added and in the end its going to be the Lowe and Type59 all over again. No thank you. I might go for a premium account or something, but that is most likely it.

Warspite probably saw the most action of any 20th century battleship. It just doesn't seem to be a particularly good premium.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If there ends up being a ship that's the equivalent to the Lowe, I'd probably still buy it. I got my Lowe before the price went up, and while it wasn't a world beater, it was very effective for farming credits, and it had a laser gun for a cannon.

A ship that ends up being significantly better than the other Tier 8 premiums at release for the same price to the point it ends up getting a price increase before any nerfs come in would still be of some value. I just want to see what the KV-5 equivalent is. :v:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I am interested in the Japanese cruisers, can someone tell me about them. Specifically the Aoba, it looks pretty awesome with those 203mm guns. I just got the Cleveland yesterday and its really nice, how do they compare?

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I don't know if there is still a post here somewhere, I haven't seen one, but I would appreciate a key if someone ever gets an extra.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
My post on the official forums was moderated because I linked someone to "А у вас негров линчуют".
:classiclol:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Axetrain posted:

I am interested in the Japanese cruisers, can someone tell me about them. Specifically the Aoba, it looks pretty awesome with those 203mm guns. I just got the Cleveland yesterday and its really nice, how do they compare?

Very different playstyles. Cleveland handles like a pig, can take more of a beating and has more, quicker guns. Aoba is made of cardboard, has effective-but-awkward torpedoes, and has fewer, bigger guns. Cleveland shreds destroyers and cruisers, while Aoba is more effective against battleships (if it can avoid getting shot).

Aoba (and Mogami) operate best when there's a friendly battleship around to act as a shell magnet. Cleveland can lone-wolf it much more effectively. One-on-one, I'd take the Cleveland to win most of the time unless the Aoba driver gets some lucky citadel pens. Still enjoyed the Aoba a ton though, it just requires a different approach.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Aoba and Mogami with 8" play more like the Pensacola.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
You also shed some aa shielding to gain those torps too. Just to be aware.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So - question - what first three skills should be picked up with a three-skill captain?

I should note that the only ships I currently have a +3 on are the Iwaki Alpha and the St. Louis.

It won't be 3 skills. Tier 1 skills cost one point. Tier 2 skills cost two points, and on up it goes. So at +3, I would get the aa/secondary effectiveness one and the turret rotation one. Later, you might go back and pick up the tier 2 torp skill for your iwaki crew. But that is a distant future that also involves retail since I doubt you'll make it to a 6 skill crew by then.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

According to the forums, Gunlion says he isn't sure if Warspite will be a 'CBT-only' ship, meaning you'd have to buy it before OBT goes live to keep it (implying it'll only be available to CBT players...at least for a while). They did the same thing with a plane in WoWP that no one ended up using.

The definitive answer is that whatever tokens and allocated premium time you use now will be reapplied when the game goes OBT.
Well the news page for the Warspite says it's going away after the CBT: http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/welcome-warspite/

Who knows if it'll come back at some point though.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Axetrain posted:

Is that aim assist legal? I tried it out and it makes the Fuso into a doomsday weapon. If you put in the effort to serpentine and vary your speed it's less effective but pretty much no one does and its great at the start of the game to land big damage on distant battleships.

:getin:
The aim assist in combination with the Fuso is hilarious.

xthetenth posted:

Warspite probably saw the most action of any 20th century battleship. It just doesn't seem to be a particularly good premium.

Fun thing is that I have a hard time imaging that Warspite in the game will be able to do what Warspite did in Narvik considering the state of torpedoes. But maybe German destroyers will lack torpedoes?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Very different playstyles. Cleveland handles like a pig, can take more of a beating and has more, quicker guns. Aoba is made of cardboard, has effective-but-awkward torpedoes, and has fewer, bigger guns. Cleveland shreds destroyers and cruisers, while Aoba is more effective against battleships (if it can avoid getting shot).

Aoba (and Mogami) operate best when there's a friendly battleship around to act as a shell magnet. Cleveland can lone-wolf it much more effectively. One-on-one, I'd take the Cleveland to win most of the time unless the Aoba driver gets some lucky citadel pens. Still enjoyed the Aoba a ton though, it just requires a different approach.

Honestly, the situation reverses itself at Tier VII with the Mogami and Pensacola. The Mogami simply rips its counterpart to shreds, barring multiple lucky citadel hits - which the Mogami is more likely to get anyways. It has more health, almost double the armor, torpedoes and, assuming you're using the 155s, a far faster firing rate that still has no issue penetrating the Pensacola. Unsurprisingly it also shreds destroyers and can even rack up damage on battleships due to simple weight of fire. Given it packs more guns than even the Cleveland and, unlike the Cleveland, is actually decently maneuverable with pretty good speed makes it pretty high up there in my favored cruisers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, the situation reverses itself at Tier VII with the Mogami and Pensacola. The Mogami simply rips its counterpart to shreds, barring multiple lucky citadel hits - which the Mogami is more likely to get anyways. It has more health, almost double the armor, torpedoes and, assuming you're using the 155s, a far faster firing rate that still has no issue penetrating the Pensacola. Unsurprisingly it also shreds destroyers and can even rack up damage on battleships due to simple weight of fire. Given it packs more guns than even the Cleveland and, unlike the Cleveland, is actually decently maneuverable with pretty good speed makes it pretty high up there in my favored cruisers.

You loonbins running the 5-inch guns don't know what you're doing.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Direct quote from the devs says they're basing max range on historical director height and width, which means the Japanese with their pagoda masts and focus on optics are probably going to have the longest ranged BBs in the game.

Radar fire control is being ignored because its apparently "game breaking". :airquote:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

Direct quote from the devs says they're basing max range on historical director height and width, which means the Japanese with their pagoda masts and focus on optics are probably going to have the longest ranged BBs in the game.

Radar fire control is being ignored because its apparently "game breaking". :airquote:

So the US BBs will be underwhelming to say the least.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

orange juche posted:

So the US BBs will be underwhelming to say the least.

The low tiers are going to have good armour the whole way through and get a lot of guns (10-12) with better firing arcs.

The Iowa and North Carolina are going to really fast, and much better armored than the comparably speedy Amagi.

They can also basically make up whatever soft stats they want, which will go a long way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The low tiers are going to have good armour the whole way through and get a lot of guns (10-12) with better firing arcs.

The Iowa and North Carolina are going to really fast, and much better armored than the comparably speedy Amagi.

They can also basically make up whatever soft stats they want, which will go a long way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16%22/50_caliber_Mark_7_gun#Mark_8_.22Super-heavy.22_shell

16" guns with the same penetration capability of the Yamato's 18.1". Sounds like a good 'soft stat' advantage to me.

Can't wait for the pubbies to find out about the nuclear shell, though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not to mention that 3.1 is going to take armour quality into account for ships, which benefits the US the most.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Not to mention that 3.1 is going to take armour quality into account for ships, which benefits the US the most.

Only really after the North Carolina class does it come into effect, as the US switched from riveted steel plate armor to welded steel armor that was sloped to increase the protective ability of the belt. The deck on the North Carolina in particular was weak though, only half the thickness required to repel a 16 inch AP shell, so if you go up against a North Carolina, shoot the deck, not the belt.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Just got the game today, really loving the Omaha so far, it has just the right mix of weight of fire and survivability for me to grudge-gently caress all the scout destroyers to death then duck back behind an island and go back to plinking other cruisers from 10-12km.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I jumped back in and played a few games last night.

Have I gone mad or was there a Japanese Battleship called the Haku that had no AA guns in before?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How active are goons playing this, I was considering buying into the beta but only if I can play with nout pubbies regulary.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Their Lexington lost every single one of his bombers to my AA. The Amagi is amazing.

Slowing to 1/4, full rudder into the torpedoes, full ahead works wonders. I ran over about 15 over that game before they armed.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16%22/50_caliber_Mark_7_gun#Mark_8_.22Super-heavy.22_shell

16" guns with the same penetration capability of the Yamato's 18.1". Sounds like a good 'soft stat' advantage to me.

Can't wait for the pubbies to find out about the nuclear shell, though.

Didn't US blow up a lot of WWII battle ships (both US and Japanese) during their nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean?
And if so, do we know the effect of an atom bomb on a battleship?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Cardiac posted:

Didn't US blow up a lot of WWII battle ships (both US and Japanese) during their nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cardiac posted:

They did.
In the first test, basically all the ships inside a 1 mile radius got completely hosed up, except a Japanese ship, moderatly close to the explosion, surived with moderate damage due to the stern offering protection and pointing at the blast.

An aircraft carrier 1.6 miles out got hosed up because the planes on the deck caught fire and pretty much wrecked the entire thing.

Animals inside the ships died two days later due to radiation poisoning.

Basically you can sum it up as : If you are withing one mile of the detonation of a 23 kiloton (hiroshima was about 16) nuclear bomb you are dead.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 29, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Axetrain posted:

Japanese cruisers are glass cannons. Big citadel hitboxes and slow turrets, but the 8-inchers pack some serious punch and have very nice shell velocity, trajectory and low dispersion, the ships feel more responsive and agile than american cruisers and the torpedos are situationally useful.

Cardiac posted:

Fun thing is that I have a hard time imaging that Warspite in the game will be able to do what Warspite did in Narvik considering the state of torpedoes. But maybe German destroyers will lack torpedoes?

German DDs, at least the later tiers made up of KM ones, will be comparatively big and tough, but lacking in agility and will have bad torpedos, but some very beastly guns including cruiser-size 6-inchers on some. Basically US DDs except even more extremely focused on long-range gunnery and with potentially very nasty AA in the higher tiers. IIRC the most likely tier 10 is basically a bigger, slower Gearing with a fourth turret and radar-directed 55mm AA guns.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I can't believe they are ignoring radar directed fire control on American BBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I love the Nagato's secondaries. Simply shreds destroyers at 7.5 km.

Does the Amagi have similar secondaries?

Kraftwerk posted:

I can't believe they are ignoring radar directed fire control on American BBs.

Yeah, I hope they change their mind. It seems like a pretty stupid decision.