Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I think for my next run I am going to use a custom-modded version of CK2+ and aim for making an Empire-level Celtic Pagan republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

beef express posted:

Just a heads up that Games Republic is having a sale on CK2 dlc, all the major ones (except Legacy of Rome for some reason) are 75% off.

is this site usually super late with sending gift emails out?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Another Person posted:

is this site usually super late with sending gift emails out?

No. I got my first gift within seconds of registering. Note you have to complete the registration first, ie put in a username and password, not just put in an email.

EDIT:

Another Person posted:

I did that already. The Paypal transaction went through. By gift, I mean items I bought on there and then told them to gift to someone else (I distinguish because they also are giving out weird free games too) by email.

:doh: I'm an idiot. Thought you were talking about the birthday gift games. I've only bought the Iberian pack for myself so I wouldn't know that.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 28, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

No. I got my first gift within seconds of registering. Note you have to complete the registration first, ie put in a username and password, not just put in an email.

I did that already. The Paypal transaction went through. By gift, I mean items I bought on there and then told them to gift to someone else (I distinguish because they also are giving out weird free games too) by email.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I've had some weird bugs in my current game.

1. I conquered the county of Rome and gave it to a vassal, but it went back to the Pope. This happened again later when I conquered Spoleto under a ducal claim for a vassal, and it went back to the Holy Roman revolt for no apparent reason.

2. I had the option of moving a prisoner into house arrest or putting her in an oubliette. I chose the latter, but my ruler ended up getting the -20 Diplomacy and -2 health instead of her.

3. The same ruler ended up getting wounded in battle despite the fact that he wasn't leading any troops at the time. In fact, I didn't have any levies raised at all.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 28, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Uggghhh, why did Lombardy pass out of my kingdom when my vassal in Tripoli inherited it? He was even family! I thought that as an emperor, he would stay under me.
UGH. Well, everyone else is hosed anyhow so we'll just focus on taking the Abbs apart to counter Shiite Mesapotamia and tag team the U-mads with Aquitane.

Also: I realized it too late but you can delay or even shut down any attempts at reforming Tengri if you just take Crimea. Getting another Holy site is too hard without it in the middle.

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've had some weird bugs in my current game.

1. I conquered the county of Rome and gave it to a vassal, but it went back to the Pope. This happened again later when I conquered Spoleto under a ducal claim for a vassal, and it went back to the Holy Roman revolt for no apparent reason.

2. I had the option of moving a prisoner into house arrest or putting her in an oubliette. I chose the latter, but my ruler ended up getting the -20 Diplomacy and -2 health instead of her.

3. The same ruler ended up getting wounded in battle despite the fact that he wasn't leading any troops at the time. In fact, I didn't have any levies raised at all.

1. The pope asked your guy if he could have it back. If he's christian, he probs said yes. Maybe.

2. This is a known bug.

3. No idea. Are you sure you weren't leading troops under a liege lord?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Oh my god a demon thing is killing all my really good rulers they wwere all so young :(

Edit Okay. Theyare all dead. Now I am the satan child. THis is cool I guesss

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 29, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

I'm pretty delighted with this to be honest, I guess this is what the thread title is referencing? Wish I had tried to make this guy better, but his dad was terrified and a total dick to him so oh well

OH MAN HIS STATS

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darth Windu posted:

I'm pretty delighted with this to be honest, I guess this is what the thread title is referencing? Wish I had tried to make this guy better, but his dad was terrified and a total dick to him so oh well

OH MAN HIS STATS
And he looks so smug.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Bort Bortles posted:

And he looks so smug.

I guess you could heh say that he is a "handsome" devil hahaha

I'm gonna get hte necro nomicon I think.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

OH MAN HIS STATS

Wow, you have the opposite of the usual problem of "attractive trait, but horrifying character portrait". If that guy is meant to be ugly then I want to meet the hot men in your world.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

He kinda looks like Geoffrey in Lion in Winter

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How do you guys mitigate a gavelkind succession. I've been trying to play Leon, which is a lot fun right up until the king dies. Its really fun and exciting but when he kicks the bucket eventually I get a lot of factions fast and the inevitably an invasion. Thing is I can't get out of gavelkind because I have to take medium law to take high law to qualify for primogeniture so everything depressingly collapses inward fast.

What do you guys do after you build an empire or a kingdom strong enough to support even a not so great heir? I made Britania at one point, took over the majority of France and the game just crawled to a halt because I couldn't generate casus at a decent speed.

Also is there a way to blunt the Holy Roman empire. They start enormous when everyone is small and for as long as I've been playing they've just been this huge loving monolith I absolutely can't piss off and have zero interest in playing and they just expand.

Also are the crazier character events dlc related. I only had one once when my guy got syphilis, went loving nuts and tried to make a horse chancellor (effect you fired him)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can still go Ultimogeniture or Elective. Elective is dangerous in the early game if your dynasty is not well entrenched, but Ultimo is always better than Gavelkind despite its issues.

I deal with the HRE by using the console to split it up before beginning to play. Short of that, no, there's nothing you can do about it. Sometimes it'll collapse from within after a few hundred years. More often it doesn't. Same is true of the Byzantines and especially the Muslim megablobs.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Lol I guess that could work if I don't do my usual thing of divorcing my wife if one with better stats come along and the youngest child is old enough to take over when the time comes. I'll give that a shot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You can try gaming Gavelkind by taking Seduction focus, cranking out a bunch of bastards and then legitimizing the first one that looks good and only that one. Marry an old woman for the stats but make sure her Intrigue is low (she is going to hate your guts and will gleefully join all plots against you).

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can try gaming Gavelkind by taking Seduction focus, cranking out a bunch of bastards and then legitimizing the first one that looks good and only that one. Marry an old woman for the stats but make sure her Intrigue is low (she is going to hate your guts and will gleefully join all plots against you).

I've had a nice little castration game going on with a line of Byzantine empresses with paranoid, low-intrigue husbands.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I kind of gambled in the curent game taking a second wife after the first one produced only one son but the stats were off the hook good and the original son was kind of useless and now has great pox, that moron. At some point when things settle down I'm going to send the low diplomacy mooks I don't want to fabricate claims against the Byzantine empire or with small armies to help out allies if I can figure out how to get them in that way.

On that note how do you attach a specific guy to lead an army?

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 29, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is there a vassal opinion penalty for having a female ruler? In my Byzantine game, I somewhat foolishly forgot to look at my wife's age before I married her because she was a genius and my guy was a genius so I figured I'd get a bunch of genius kids but I only got a genius daughter before the wife got too old to crank out a son. The daughter has really nice stats though. I divorced the wife and remarried but I'm kind of scared I'll get a useless son.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there a vassal opinion penalty for having a female ruler? In my Byzantine game, I somewhat foolishly forgot to look at my wife's age before I married her because she was a genius and my guy was a genius so I figured I'd get a bunch of genius kids but I only got a genius daughter before the wife got too old to crank out a son. The daughter has really nice stats though. I divorced the wife and remarried but I'm kind of scared I'll get a useless son.

Yeah my memory is saying that it is a -10 to relations. That said if when it happens most of your kingdom only dislikes you then just bribe them all out of their negative modifier and pick up the cash given out in taxes over the next year. Otherwise if they hate you a lot just try to make sure you still can get a loan for some mercenaries and instead of bribing everyone just wait for the inevitable revolt with vast cash reserves.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Now if you're a female ruler with the Attractive trait it's awesome. Until you turn 45.

Goofballs posted:

I kind of gambled in the curent game taking a second wife after the first one produced only one son but the stats were off the hook good and the original son was kind of useless and now has great pox, that moron. At some point when things settle down I'm going to send the low diplomacy mooks I don't want to fabricate claims against the Byzantine empire or with small armies to help out allies if I can figure out how to get them in that way.

On that note how do you attach a specific guy to lead an army?

Probably the most reliable way to get an unwanted son killed is make him court chaplain and send him off to try to convert some heathens.

To change your army's leaders, click on the army and then on any of the names listed as the flank leaders. Note that if you're on minimum crown authority (or are an independent duke/count with no crown authority) you can't change leaders.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Cheers, it might work out next time. The very chaste couple produced a remarkable amount of kids so I went elective like you said because that would have been a lot of suicide missions and it looks like its going to pay off, just waiting for my guy to die off. He's 67 and I've been hanging out a bit so I don't start the spawn in some war.

ha at the age of 69 hes getting hitched again to a nearby queen who's running Galacia. I was going to take it over ages ago but gavelkind kingdoms seemed like a loving headache I didn't need. I guess he died on the first night doing what he loved. Anad amazingly the vassals all love the new guy. Guess they feel like they dodged a bullet with pox prince

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 29, 2015

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Is there a vassal opinion penalty for having a female ruler?

Not if she's hot. Sadly, this is actually a game mechanic.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Fairly accurate for the times, though.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I can't think of a better place to ask this, so here goes:

Saudi Arabia just had a change in succession laws.

Previously they had leaned towards Agnatic Seniority, but now what would you call it? Appointment? Tanistric appointment? Selective ex-post facto Purpling?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Arbite posted:

Previously they had leaned towards Agnatic Seniority, but now what would you call it? Appointment? Tanistric appointment? Selective ex-post facto Purpling?

Is he wearing one of those fake nose glasses?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arbite posted:

I would call it "Desperation".

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Arbite posted:

Merchant Despotism with a Designated Heir

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Arbite posted:

It's not a huge change; they used to select heirs from among the sons of the country's founder, but now that they're all old as dirt or dead, they can pick heirs from among the founder's grandsons. Due to these choices having to be approved by an Allegiance Council (itself made up of senior members of the royal family) it sounds like its closest analogue would be tanistry.

E: I really wanted to say they're like a merchant republic (well, monarchy) because that'd be perfect for a rentier state, but alas

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Is there any real difference between Agnatic-Cognatic Elective and Absolute Cognatic Elective? Are women more likely to be chosen for the latter?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hadaka Apron posted:

Is there any real difference between Agnatic-Cognatic Elective and Absolute Cognatic Elective? Are women more likely to be chosen for the latter?

The difference is that you can give women landed titles.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Reforming the Roman Empire is dope. Is there any reason to move my capital to Rome? Will my kids still be born in the purple or is that a Constantinople exclusive?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Reforming the Roman Empire is dope. Is there any reason to move my capital to Rome? Will my kids still be born in the purple or is that a Constantinople exclusive?

Born in the purple is title-locked rather than by province, so as long as you're byzantium/roman empire, you have it. That being said, Constantinople is probably still a far better capital. Rome is nice to have in your demesne though!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Coming up with dynastic names for Visigothic Kings is tough. Looks like I'm going to have to stick with "af [insert location here]" and friends.

Unless anyone else knows the dynastic names of Visigothic Kings after the Balti dynasty.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Rome ain't poo poo compared to Constantinople, definitely stay put.

Holding Rome and Alexandria personally can be nice though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I deal with the HRE by using the console to split it up before beginning to play.

That's not much fun though. They aren't hard to deal with, even as a non-culture wrong-religion neighbor. Keep them relatively friendly, and build up some defensive alliances. It's just like playing a small country in EU4, get an alliance with France or Austria to help keep the other one off your back.

Passenger Of Shit
Apr 21, 2015
Is Ragnarr Lothbrok the same as Ragnarr Lodbrok but the d is like really funky.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SeaTard posted:

That's not much fun though. They aren't hard to deal with, even as a non-culture wrong-religion neighbor. Keep them relatively friendly, and build up some defensive alliances. It's just like playing a small country in EU4, get an alliance with France or Austria to help keep the other one off your back.

It's not that they're hard, it's that they're boring. The opposite of fun. The HRE is a megablob that sits there, some games gobbling France and other games gobbling Poland and so on, but either way is ultrastable for centuries. Seeing strange new developments makes the game interesting for me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Yo gently caress the Holy Roman Empire and gently caress all Karlings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

Is Ragnarr Lothbrok the same as Ragnarr Lodbrok but the d is like really funky.

Just a good old ð

• Locked thread