Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

We've been trying to get our store owner to allow some number of proxies for at least vintage but he's worried that people won't buy these cards if they can use proxies. I'm sure that's true of some people but I'd much rather use my own Moxes than my current "Moxes," 3 of which are actually just Russian basics. And more importantly we'd have more people playing vintage which is sweet.

My store used to do unlimited proxies for certain weeknight Modern and Legacy events, although I live in a small podunk town and there probably aren't eight people with complete Legacy decks around here, let alone eight that could get together on the same night so you have to make some concessions. Hell, once a month or every other month they used to do a winner-gets-a-box Modern tourney that allowed unlimited proxies, AND it was free. And honestly, for those you wouldn't see too many proxies but it's also easier to find those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

On one hand, it sucks that more people can't play because of no proxies being allowed. I'd love to have a 30-person vintage tournament instead of the usual X-teen. On the other hand, it would be really bad for his business to let people proxy cards in these events. Most of the $400-something I won this month went right back into the store to finish my playset of Workshops, but I'd be willing to bet most people wouldn't do that. Why buy half a Mox when you could just scribble Jet on a Swamp and keep the money?

The idea that some of us had was once a month instead of FNM legacy, we could have non-FNM proxy vintage. That way the people that like it will eventually buy into the format to play in the real thing without having to allow proxies in the tournament he's already losing money on.

We've gone over this before Steve. Ron hates money.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Mezzanon posted:

Real talk: I'm. Gonna build that kibler golgari aggro deck and I am gonna love the loving HELL out of it. Because that deck is solidly my jam. That's pretty much everything I like about a deck since predator ooze aggro!

Could someone post a copy of the list? The website isn't working for me, and I'm super interested in this list.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cauldron Moose posted:

Could someone post a copy of the list? The website isn't working for me, and I'm super interested in this list.

4 Den Protector
4 Deathmist Raptor
3 Surrak, the Hunt Caller
3 Warden of the First Tree
2 Herald of Torment
4 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Boon Satyr
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Thoughtseize
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Temple of Malady
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
9 Forest
6 Swamp
4 Llanowar Wastes

Sideboard:
2 Collected Company
3 Bile Blight
2 Dark Betrayal
3 Hunt the Hunter
3 Ultimate Price
2 Duress

Think Abzan Aggro without Fleecemane Lion or Siege Rhino.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Vintage chat: How critical is the Black Lotus to a UR/x Delver's plan? Obviously 3 mana for free is insanely powerful in every deck but I can see a lot of games playing out where the lotus being something else doesn't really matter. I've been keeping my eye out for the on-color moxes and the two blue pieces of power and... it ain't that expensive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cauldron Moose posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't want to have white in here for Lions plus a number of Mastery's in the 75 at minimum...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't want to have white in here for Lions plus a number of Mastery's in the 75 at minimum...

Fewer taplands and painful mana sources seems like a pretty obvious reason - adding colours to your deck always has a cost.

Are those benefits worth giving up the white cards? Who knows, but it's good to try these things instead of taking the established configuration as gospel.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

qbert posted:

Read the text on Den Protector.

Got it. I remember it as "Megamorph Eternal Witness" but forgot about the other ability.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Because it's fun to experiment.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Partial Octopus posted:

Hates money. Loves the reserve list.

AgentSythe posted:

Vintage chat: How critical is the Black Lotus to a UR/x Delver's plan? Obviously 3 mana for free is insanely powerful in every deck but I can see a lot of games playing out where the lotus being something else doesn't really matter. I've been keeping my eye out for the on-color moxes and the two blue pieces of power and... it ain't that expensive.

Eh, it'll randomly win you the game on turn 1, but it's not a huge deal if you don't have one. I actually don't play one in Shops by choice (also I don't own one but I wouldn't play it anyway.)

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Hates money. Loves the reserve list.

What are his thoughts on Mondays and lasagne?

Who is going to Vegas? I'm planning on going and getting a box to "practice" (open, build decks, probably not actually play, put cards in trade binder).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

Most high level players agree that it's an extremely high level skill testing card, and it's mentally taxing to play a card like that over the course of multiple rounds or even an entire weekend. Plus nobody wants to be caught making misplays on camera, so you see all but the most confident of players shying away from these complex cards and deck types like "g/b/x" or "red cards."

best post of this week

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I met Gerry last weekend at a friend's birthday thing. He's a friendly down to earth guy. He looks like the biggest loving pot head in person though jfc.

Isn't that just like everyone from wisconsin or specifically the madison area that plays magic though :haw:. And by everyone I mean GerryT and Adrian Sullivan.

I would have said the entire midwest but Cedric Phillips never came across as a stoner.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I met Gerry last weekend at a friend's birthday thing. He's a friendly down to earth guy. He looks like the biggest loving pot head in person though jfc.

Is this some sort of major moral failure on his part?

I've heard about ppl being salty when I'm stoned and I win but never to my face so I've never had the chance to ask anyone why.

You said he was a nice down to earth dude so who cares how much he smokes?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Snacksmaniac posted:

What are his thoughts on Mondays and lasagne?

Who is going to Vegas? I'm planning on going and getting a box to "practice" (open, build decks, probably not actually play, put cards in trade binder).

I am going to Vegas. Lots of MTG, but lots of VEGAS ridiculousness. Went 2 years ago and it's amazing.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
https://www.facebook.com/tournamentcenter/posts/987750917943441

Good news: Splinter Twin and Spellskite confirmed in MM2 at rare.

Better news: This means the MTGS leak is NOT true.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Idk man, I get stoned once in a while and I get that people who smoke a lot of pot don't think it's a big deal but I certainly wouldn't show up somewhere where kids play card games drunk or high but that's just me :shrug:

edit: I don't know if Gerry is a stoner or not this is just in response to people being annoyed you're stoned/who cares how much people smoke

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

PleasantDirge posted:

I've heard about ppl being salty when I'm stoned and I win but never to my face so I've never had the chance to ask anyone why.

Man you are really defensive about looking like a pothead; maybe you should go smoke a bowl. "he looks like a stoner" is just a qualitative statement, not any indictment of character.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

I didn't see him say anything that particularly condemned Gerry for being a stereotypical pothead. Just that he perceived him as such when they met.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

https://www.facebook.com/tournamentcenter/posts/987750917943441

Good news: Splinter Twin and Spellskite confirmed in MM2 at rare.

Better news: This means the MTGS leak is NOT true.

Which one was the MTGS spoiler? Is that the one with the Command Cycle, Goblin Guide and Noble Hierarch?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Yawgmoth posted:

Man you are really defensive about looking like a pothead; maybe you should go smoke a bowl. "he looks like a stoner" is just a qualitative statement, not any indictment of character.

Maybe I was. I just read the "Jesus loving Christ" part of that post as a bit judgey. I wasn't trying to come at him/her just trying to figure something out. Sorry if I was being a dick.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Which one was the MTGS spoiler? Is that the one with the Command Cycle, Goblin Guide and Noble Hierarch?

The one that listed all the Mythics. Which included Twin at Mythic.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

The one that listed all the Mythics. Which included Twin at Mythic.

So which one is the one that Mythc spoiler has up, then?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't know if he smokes at all. It's just impressive to me, considering how half the people you meet on Seattle these days do smoke on the reg.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

So which one is the one that Mythc spoiler has up, then?

Probably that same "leak." It's hard to tell since they're using other printings of cards as placeholders for stuff that hasn't officially been revealed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The funniest part about that Splinter Twin spoiler is that MTGS won't just admit they were wrong. "Maybe he saw it wrong!" they said. "Maybe he just lied about that one card!" they said.

The idea that Elesh and all three Titans were at Mythic sounded pretty loving odd to me though. How are you going to even cast those outside of a dedicated ramp deck?

Yawgmoth posted:

You're forgetting this you're in the thread where people get angry and upset by any stimulus of any kind.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 29, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

lmao

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Why would you need a dedicated ramp deck for Elesh or Titans? You'd need to be more controlling, certainly, but it's not that unreasonable for a limited deck to reach 6 or 7 mana, especially for a card of that level of impact.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Why would you need a dedicated ramp deck for Elesh or Titans? You'd need to be more controlling, certainly, but it's not that unreasonable for a limited deck to reach 6 or 7 mana, especially for a card of that level of impact.

I think he meant "Eldrazi" not "Titans". Elesh Norn is a non-issue.

That having been said, I still think Kozilek and Ulamog are going to be in the set along with Emrakul. The question is if any of the other Praetors are going to show up other than Elesh.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just want to see what the commons are so we can find out the draft archetypes. I'm guessing there will be a poison deck, a ramp deck, a metalcraft / artifacts deck, probably some sort of landfall aggro deck...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I really hope there isn't a poison deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

The question is if any of the other Praetors are going to show up other than Elesh.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. It would make sense for her to go it alone since she's the only one of the cycle that sees play outside of EDH, but on the other hand they printed the entire dumb kamigawa dragon at mythic in the first MM.

Zoness posted:

I really hope there isn't a poison deck.
I think the best you can hope for is that there will be one but it won't actually be good. If they're including SOM cards, there's gonna be infect creatures.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I wouldn't be surprised either way. It would make sense for her to go it alone since she's the only one of the cycle that sees play outside of EDH, but on the other hand they printed the entire dumb kamigawa dragon at mythic in the first MM.

I think the best you can hope for is that there will be one but it won't actually be good. If they're including SOM cards, there's gonna be infect creatures.

I wouldn't mind something like Skithiryx but plaguing the black/green common pool with creatures that don't work with the other half of the pool is so awful that someone who played the format has to be on the team to say no to maro's poison boner (not that maro's working on mm2015 or anything i hope)

The problem is wither plays way better but there's no way they're mixing infect and wither so rip.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Apologies if this question's already been asked and assessed, but would it be remotely smart to sell cards towards getting an MM2 box? I've pulled enough Ojutais (pulled a 5th one randomly today) and Ugins that I could sell a few to make up half the box's price, but I'm not terribly convinced that it's worth it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I just hope Chalice of the Void is in there.

gently caress everyone/everything who made that card quadruple in price overnight.

Also Leylines would be cool.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

This actually surprises me because Sheoldred is a really solid card IMO. I have a (lovely because I'm too lazy to make it better) reanimator deck with her in it and she just does so much work it's incredible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

InterrupterJones posted:

Apologies if this question's already been asked and assessed, but would it be remotely smart to sell cards towards getting an MM2 box? I've pulled enough Ojutais (pulled a 5th one randomly today) and Ugins that I could sell a few to make up half the box's price, but I'm not terribly convinced that it's worth it.

No, just buy the cards you need instead. Ojutai right now is one of the best market-to-retail values so it's almost like trading them straight up for some fraction of a Goyf.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you want to you could buy the box and then draft it with friends.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

This actually surprises me because Sheoldred is a really solid card IMO. I have a (lovely because I'm too lazy to make it better) reanimator deck with her in it and she just does so much work it's incredible.

Sheoldred is a solid card but there are enough better big guys in Modern.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Chill la Chill posted:

No, just buy the cards you need instead. Ojutai right now is one of the best market-to-retail values so it's almost like trading them straight up for some fraction of a Goyf.

That's what I assumed. In all honesty, not sure what I'd even want from MM2, it would just be nice to finally have a Goyf someday.

Cernunnos posted:

If you want to you could buy the box and then draft it with friends.

I've been considering that too. After the release drafts, will stores still be doing MM2 drafts? I'd assume so, but there's also no telling how high the demand will be for people just straight up buying packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elyv posted:

Sheoldred is a solid card but there are enough better big guys in Modern.

She was the best card to draft in that set.

E: Read not as "the best card" but as "The card I enjoyed the most drafting and playing with"

• Locked thread