Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ugh, Rutland. I feel like I need to wash my hands just typing its name.

Time Chasers was awesome, gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
41 years ago tomorrow.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059840/Anarchists-year-s-violence-Ferguson-active-Baltimore-claim-social-media-experts.html

"A leading data mining firm, which has asked to remain anonymous because of its government work, claims that between 20 and 50 social media accounts active in Baltimore on Monday were also used some 825 miles away in Ferguson during the peak of last summer's violence following the death of Michael Brown"

"Not all the accounts called for outright violence, but at the very least, the tweets were menacing and ominous, reports Fox News.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fnc is dangerous

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ron Jeremy posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059840/Anarchists-year-s-violence-Ferguson-active-Baltimore-claim-social-media-experts.html

"A leading data mining firm, which has asked to remain anonymous because of its government work, claims that between 20 and 50 social media accounts active in Baltimore on Monday were also used some 825 miles away in Ferguson during the peak of last summer's violence following the death of Michael Brown"

"Not all the accounts called for outright violence, but at the very least, the tweets were menacing and ominous, reports Fox News.

20-50 seems like it would barely cover journalists and speakers that were obviously at both events because duh

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

I think this has a lot of merit, but I think you overstate the effect that it had on Obama's relationship with Republicans. However one of the more significant problems he's had has been somewhat poor relationships with Democratic legislators and I think you've got a finger on part of that problem: he's a Democratic president but a lot of those people are not on the good terms with Obama that you'd think they'd be.

I was focusing mostly on the republicans but yeah, the effect would be even worse for fellow democrats as he is also hopscotching over them in the democratic hierarchy and he needs established relationships with Dems too.

evilweasel posted:

However when it comes to Republicans, I think there might be some personal animosity there but it's more driven by their base.

Eh, Political theatre is not political reality. Think of it in terms of early arguments about freedom of religion. You can legislate a religion all day but you can never force anyone to believe in it. You can force actions, but not thoughts. Ergo any attempt to legislate belief is unenforceable.

If I hold a shindig to promote a bill about expanding veterans benefits that I wrote ... and Hillary Clinton is the only senator who shows up from either party ... And we work together to whip the votes to pass this bill ... That sort of thing has an effect. I now owe a personal debt to Hillary.

She did stuff like that for years in the senate. She'd keep an eye out for a republican who wanted to do something good and reach across the aisle to help. And plenty of the praise I mentioned predates 2007 so it could not have been uttered to influence the primary.

evilweasel posted:

Part of what makes the Tea Party powerful in the Republican party is their willingness to primary Republicans who are not 'pure' enough, ... Those reasonable Republicans cannot afford to let up on the gridlock because someone will jump in and try to primary them if they try.

All that is necessary for that is to check off the latest purity test items. The GOP has gone much, much, further than that. Blocking reasonable or even right leaning nominations for low profile jobs that their base has never even heard of ... These win no red meat points.

For example, when Ted Cruz slipped up and gave them something like 75 confirmations did the GOP base vilify him? Did they know or care what those nominations were for?

No. They did not. The day to day turning of the gears of beurocracy are well below the public's attention threshold.

Or anonymous holds. If I am doing something to stroke the base only, not for myself, then I'm not going to do it anonymously. Anonymity literally defeats the point. It's great for advancing a personal vendetta, not for grandstanding.

evilweasel posted:

She's also not been a political figure since 2008, which matters:

Agreed, only 47 senators currently in service were her peers. She would have been stronger in this respect in 2008. But that's enough to stop filibusters of day to day basic stuff.

evilweasel posted:

I think that once she's a candidate and possibly a president, the base will get just as primed against her as they are against Obama now.

Agreed. Such has always been the case. Obama was an aberration because in his case political theatre and political reality intersected.

evilweasel posted:

I don't think that personal relationships with legislators would have significantly changed the dynamic of gridlock though:

Off the top of my head, wasn't Lieberman the deciding vote that stopped the Medicare for all bill? And wasn't his stated reason that Obama liked it to much/screw Obama?

Lieberman and Hillary are good friends. You don't think she could have talked him around? Cause I'd love to have the option of enrolling in Medicare as well as private plans. It has the highest customer satisfaction, the largest network, and the addition of my young healthy self to its roles would be a net positive for its finances. It's win win.

Although that is getting into what ifs and if wishes were fishes ....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ron Jeremy posted:

Do we have a source that's not the Daily Mail.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

chitoryu12 posted:

Do we have a source that's not the Daily Mail.
... Which cites Fox News... which cites an anonymous data mining firm.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Would that report about Twitter riot antagonists just prove the fact that the violence and destruction is coming from outside sources. This, not negating what the protests were actually about.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Would that report about Twitter riot antagonists just prove the fact that the violence and destruction is coming from outside sources. This, not negating what the protests were actually about.

You just know that if Fox News were around 50 to 60 years ago they'd have given exposés about how Martin Luther King Jr. and his allies were agents of Moscow.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

You just know that if Fox News were around 50 to 60 years ago they'd have given exposés about how Martin Luther King Jr. and his allies were agents of Moscow.

So they'd have taken the official position of the FBI.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stereotype posted:

No one here cares about the distance, only that stupid sign does.

As far as priority, it is because the law says otherwise:

“Amtrak has preference over freight transportation in using a rail line, junction, or crossing.”

Personally I agree with the law since oil drums don't care how long they sit on a train, but people certainly do.

'preference' don't mean nothin' to someone at dispatch whose failure to make the on-time quota means a quasi-firing with cause

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

41 years ago tomorrow.

edit: What the hell am I talking about? Nevermind.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you loving kidding me? When that dude maced a row of white kids who were cuffed it was universally condemned even by people on the right except for the most terrible shitbags. The general violence was also condemned heavily. People gave way more a poo poo about some trust fund Maoist getting his tent kicked over than this poo poo. Plus it wasn't used as an example for how white people, on the whole, are just filthy monkey people who need to learn their place.
Yes, but what actually changed?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Evil_Greven posted:

Yes, but what actually changed?

Well the cop who maced those kids got 38k in workers comp for it. Does that count?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

They wouldn't be wrong.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They wouldn't be wrong.

http://www.budgetfilms.com/clip/15000/

The Soviet Negro Republic was real Brian!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Business Gorillas posted:

The Baltimore Ravens are a poo poo team that belong in the garbage. 1996 Never Forget :911:

Amen, brother. A-fuckin'-men.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Glenn Beck did this on their channel a few years back so yes they've done it already.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

You mean like that movie that makes the argument that Obama's real father is a communist who likes to have sex with white women?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

You mean like that movie that makes the argument that Obama's real father is a communist who likes to have sex with white women?

I didn't know that Obama was the protagonist of Invisible Man

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

visceril posted:

I didn't know that Obama was the protagonist of Invisible Man

That was Kevin Bacon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

A JimRob/savagesusie production...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

So here's the thing.

I first saw this posted elsewhere and I IMMEDIATELY bristled at it because not only was it from TheBlaze, but because it quotes an anonymous source.

But I took a moment to scan it and it basically supports an idea that the rioting and looting is the work of outside agitators, and that members of the community are not destroying their own town.

That pretty much destroys a lot of arguments people have about the rioting in general. If they abhor the reaction of the community, it should be known that blame is being placed outside the community.

But that's, you know, assuming this anonymous source isn't bullshit. Still, should you see this posted in the future- it pretty much undermines whatever argument the person was making who posted it.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Doctor Butts posted:

So here's the thing.

I first saw this posted elsewhere and I IMMEDIATELY bristled at it because not only was it from TheBlaze, but because it quotes an anonymous source.

But I took a moment to scan it and it basically supports an idea that the rioting and looting is the work of outside agitators, and that members of the community are not destroying their own town.

That pretty much destroys a lot of arguments people have about the rioting in general. If they abhor the reaction of the community, it should be known that blame is being placed outside the community.

But that's, you know, assuming this anonymous source isn't bullshit. Still, should you see this posted in the future- it pretty much undermines whatever argument the person was making who posted it.

No, it's one better.

See, journalists use social media. When things like riots flare up, they go to do things like reporting.

What this article is confirming is that people who used social media to report in ferguson then went to baltimore to do the same thing.

Ya know, like journalists do. They typically travel. If anything, Fox's numbers are probably small for reporters who were at both cities.

E: THOSE OUTSIDE AGITATORS (like the media and people with cameras) are coming to our town to start poo poo (low level anarchists who are almost always lovely, stupid, and painfully young) when all this fox poo poo is just aggregating beat reporters and poo poo. It's meaningless, and it's anonymously sourced for a reason, because it's garbage of the highest order.

cucka fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 29, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Why do people have such an intense need to argue with fishmech even when he's right about something

Because it's fun to see how far you can push him?

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

duz posted:

Because it's fun to see how far you can push him?

Don't lie. It's just fun when you disagree.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Why do people have such an intense need to argue with fishmech even when he's right about something

Even when he's not wrong he manages to be right in all the wrong ways. Even when a broken clock is right, like it is twice a day, if it's still making an annoying sound during the time when it's technically correct, you still want to kick it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:allears:

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

GlyphGryph posted:

Even when he's not wrong he manages to be right in all the wrong ways. Even when a broken clock is right, like it is twice a day, if it's still making an annoying sound during the time when it's technically correct, you still want to kick it.

If you don't get by now that that is the point, then start at square one, kid, and avoid the Graham Crackers with corners lest it becomes too problematic for you.

Channeling Fishmech is kinda fun if I'm being honest.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

>>against anarchy and chaos at home and abroad

>>starts two foreign wars and militarizes domestic police force

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Might as well tap The Shadow and Zorg at that point.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Look at this idiot

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Look at this idiot

It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Glock :colbert:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Look at this idiot

He's not wrong.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You want trolling? Rep. Mike Honda (D-CA) will give you some trolling at today's address from Japanese Prime Minister Abe.

quote:

Rep. Mike Honda plans to bring a Korean "comfort woman" to the speech as his guest. She’s Yong Soo Lee, who was 16 in 1944 when she was forced into slavery.

Honda’s spokesman, Ken Scudder, said Lee is is now 86 and made the trip to Washington from Korea to personally seek an apology.

Desserts for last night's state dinner included a sugarworks teapot.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Look at this idiot

Yes let's juxtapose a hated minority with the method available to kill them, great optics on this tweet man, can't at all be read as insinuating violence against homosexuals. Nope.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Aren't concealed carry and the open carry movements different though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jesus, that slogan sounds like something Palpatine would say. What is this, Moff elections.

• Locked thread