Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

See, YOU understand me, Radbot. The glory of taking an accelerationist position right now is that I literally can't lose. Since Sanders has a snowball's chance in hell, and there's no unified, captivating, powerful movement to reclaim the states, the governorships, or the local offices, no matter who wins, even if it's Hillary, we accelerate towards a total collapse of the nation, which I believe is long-due.

Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Dr. Tough posted:

Where do you live?

Up his own rear end

It's funny that even when you drop the rhetorical flourishes you manage to poo poo out some baroque turd of a post.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
He is a latin major from North Florida.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

Hillary Clinton would be a better administrator than Bernie Sanders, which is most of what the President does.

I think the last couple of years has been a good argument for that. Real progressive policy seems to be decided on the agency level. And can be rolled back there incredibly easy without the rigors of legislative strictures, as the Bush administration (and in smaller microcosm, conservative states and agencies like Texas' Railroad Commission) has shown.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I think the last couple of years has been a good argument for that. Real progressive policy seems to be decided on the agency level. And can be rolled back there incredibly easy without the rigors of legislative strictures, as the Bush administration (and in smaller microcosm, conservative states and agencies like Texas' Railroad Commission) has shown.

Agreed entirely. Hillary can have the White House--can you imagine Bernie running the Budget Committee if the Democrats take back the Senate in 2016? :allears:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Quidam Viator posted:

It doesn't stop me from wishing that even a few people would stop calling me crazy long enough to really ask themselves if maybe their position is the crazy one.

Yes let's all seriously consider how Jeb Bush will be The New Hitler and the FEMA camps will finally be opened... for D&D posters !!!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Quidam Viator posted:

That's the definition of insanity for me, that blind, unexamined certainty that everything's going to turn out JUST FINE because of course the way YOU see the world has to be the right one.

You're just as emotionally invested in your own worldview as anyone else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Was LBJ as much of a big ol' liberal as his Great Society plans and civil rights work would lead on? I know the guy was about as far from a racist as any Texan could be expected to be, but how much of that was fidelity to Kennedy?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I think Kansas and Florida have shown that accelerationism doesn't work.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Was LBJ as much of a big ol' liberal as his Great Society plans and civil rights work would lead on? I know the guy was about as far from a racist as any Texan could be expected to be, but how much of that was fidelity to Kennedy?

According to Caro's biography, despite his numerous faults, LBJ had a genuine desire to improve the lot of America's poor.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FAUXTON posted:

During his work as a Senator he toed the line but he also literally went and volunteered to go teach poor Mexican kids who couldn't go to college because of their race.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Quidam Viator posted:

Yes, computer parts. I understand that I will never convince any of you of anything, since I'm reduced to caricature. It doesn't stop me from wishing that even a few people would stop calling me crazy long enough to really ask themselves if maybe their position is the crazy one.

Dude, you literally have suicidal ideation as a political philosophy. You need help.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Literally none of it. LBJ's contempt for Jack (during their time in the Senate together) and outright hatred for Bobby were well known, even if he did succeed JFK to the Presidency by way of an assassination. His desire to improve the lives of people living in the rural parts of the country was, for all his faults, 100% genuine. If it hadn't been for his stubborn pigheadedness on Vietnam, I genuinely believe he'd be in the discussion for one of the greatest Presidents we've ever had. He was, according to every biography I've ever read, perhaps the last New Deal Democrat to be elected President--the last one who subscribed to Franklin Roosevelt's idea that "the test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those who have much, but whether we provide enough to those who have little".

Also, QV--you must be a rich white dude, because no one who isn't would be that devoted to accelerationism. The rest of us have to live here. I'd rather live in a flawed country than actively start burning it down around me.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 29, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Eschers Basement posted:

Dude, you literally have suicidal ideation as a political philosophy. You need help.

Much like how atheists and evangelicals both agree that biblical literalism is the only true form of Christianity, accelerationists and Tea Partiers both agree that conservatives are the only way to enact their goals, and if life still sucks it just means they weren't conservative enough.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The X-man cometh posted:

I think Kansas and Florida have shown that accelerationism doesn't work.

It does if your goal is to get rid of Florida. *bugsbunnyflorida.gif*

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lmao at QV thinking his Latin skills will be useful in a post accelerationist America.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I'm sure he believes he'd be a part of some intellectual vanguard or vaunted artist class like that Code Green idiot

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Quidam Viator posted:

So I'll lose the flourishes, and ask directly: Do you really understand that you no longer have any space to make choices as a liberal? Do you understand how severely you are losing the fight for the hearts and minds of the American people? Do you understand that without some sort of radical change, one of the severity of the Tea Party movement, that liberalism is very close to death here in America?

This isn't true, and is hysterical. "Liberalism"---whatever that is, in your mind, can't die. It's a belief system. What you're basically saying, though you're getting all agitated about it, is that in some areas we're making no progress, and in fact, backsliding. This is true. It has very little to do with voting for HIlary for president. That choice comes about because of the political climate, it doesn't cause the political climate.

To answer your lovely, stupid questions:

quote:

So I'll lose the flourishes, and ask directly: Do you really understand that you no longer have any space to make choices as a liberal? Do you understand how severely you are losing the fight for the hearts and minds of the American people? Do you understand that without some sort of radical change, one of the severity of the Tea Party movement, that liberalism is very close to death here in America?

I have lots of space to make choices. I don't know what you mean by 'liberal', but odds are I'm waaaay to the left of that. My choice is NOT constrained by our political system alone, it is constrained by the popular support for those principles combined with the limitations of our political system. If I want more progressive candidates elected, then we need more progressive voters.

I don't think that we're 'severely' losing the fight, and I hate the term 'hearts and minds', it's kinda garbage. Progress is being made on some fronts, and lost on other fronts.

I don't think that without some sort of radical change, liberalism is 'close to death' because that's an absurd thing to think, both because, as I said, an abstract concept can't die, not even figuratively, and because there's gains in some areas and losses in others.

You are really pompous and you think you're brilliant and other people are dumb. Or that you're courageous and others are weak. This isn't true. Work on that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zelder posted:

Lmao at QV thinking his Latin skills will be useful in a post accelerationist America.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zelder posted:

It depends on if the collapse leads to the Warhammer 40k universe or not.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

During his work as a Senator he toed the line but he also literally went and volunteered to go teach poor Mexican kids who couldn't go to college because of their race.

The part in Robert Caro's biography about him bringing electricity to Texas' Hill Country (where he is still wildly popular) I found particularily affecting.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Zelder posted:

"From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs"

So QV can sit around doing nothing all day. :smuggo:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I've read the first three books of Caro's biography and what I've taken out of it is that LBJ was a brilliant politician and a turd.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

He was an old-school Populist who was legitimately ultra-liberal when it came to poor white southerners. Regarding race, if you're hard on him you could say he was probably sort of racist, but his overweening ambition, desire for a political legacy and general flamboyant liberalism pushed him to decisively settle the Civil Rights issue once and for all

Like I think basically he was both racist but also fundamentally believed in the New Deal and what it stood for, and Civil Rights was one of the fundamental endgame goals of the New Deal, so he was for it anyways. If that makes sense? Maybe he was more focused on economic rights for all instead of necessarily social equality? I haven't actually read a real biography of him, this is all just information gotten by osmosis on the internet

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 29, 2015

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

He was an old-school Populist who was legitimately ultra-liberal when it came to poor white southerners. Regarding race, if you're hard on him you could say he was probably sort of racist, but his overweening ambition, desire for a political legacy and general flamboyant liberalism pushed him to decisively settle the Civil Rights issue once and for all

The whole "volunteering to teach poor Mexican immigrant kids in a segregated school in Texas before his political career began" sort of suggests otherwise...:confused:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Hillary is now opposing mass incarceration, one of Bill's shittiest compromises.

vox

Majorian posted:

The whole "volunteering to teach poor Mexican immigrant kids in a segregated school in Texas before his political career began" sort of suggests otherwise...:confused:

It indicates he probably wasn't a segregationist, but it could also indicate the "white man's burden" type of white supremacy.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 29, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Majorian posted:

The whole "volunteering to teach poor Mexican immigrant kids in Texas before his political career began" sort of suggests otherwise...:confused:

You can feel highly charitable toward a people while still regarding them as inferior. This is not an uncommon thing for upper-class populists.

LBJ was a good dude (practically a saint by the standards of his background) but I think a lot of his better impulses were more pity-based than egalitarian.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

icantfindaname posted:

Like I think basically he was both racist but also fundamentally believed in the New Deal and what it stood for, and Civil Rights was one of the fundamental endgame goals of the New Deal, so he was for it anyways. If that makes sense? Maybe he was more focused on economic rights for all instead of necessarily social equality? I haven't actually read a real biography of him, this is all just information gotten by osmosis on the internet

I don't see much to suggest the man was racist even outside of the context of his times, really. I mean we've got what, that one unattributed quote which emerged decades after his death as evidence versus his actions to crush the klan, getting the CRA passed, and his other accomplishments in that field?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also you can be very helpful and sincerely wish people well while thinking less of them. It's not some massive condemnation to say that a powerful white guy who was old in the 1970s may have held some racist ideas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alter Ego posted:

Literally none of it. LBJ's contempt for Jack (during their time in the Senate together) and outright hatred for Bobby were well known, even if he did succeed JFK to the Presidency by way of an assassination. His desire to improve the lives of people living in the rural parts of the country was, for all his faults, 100% genuine. If it hadn't been for his stubborn pigheadedness on Vietnam, I genuinely believe he'd be in the discussion for one of the greatest Presidents we've ever had. He was, according to every biography I've ever read, perhaps the last New Deal Democrat to be elected President--the last one who subscribed to Franklin Roosevelt's idea that "the test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those who have much, but whether we provide enough to those who have little".

Also, QV--you must be a rich white dude, because no one who isn't would be that devoted to accelerationism. The rest of us have to live here. I'd rather live in a flawed country than actively start burning it down around me.

Thanks for the detail. I had this hunch that he was an old-school New Dealer who had more in common with the dirt-poor sharecropper than the former slaveholder keeping a boot on his neck. Good to know that was the case, even if he, as an actual non-racist Southern Democrat, was practically a unicorn.

Funny that he had such friction with Kennedy, though not unexpected. Probably saw him as a fussy socialite whose awareness of poverty barely extended into the suburbs, let alone into the rural areas.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Thanks for the detail. I had this hunch that he was an old-school New Dealer who had more in common with the dirt-poor sharecropper than the former slaveholder keeping a boot on his neck. Good to know that was the case, even if he, as an actual non-racist Southern Democrat, was practically a unicorn.

Funny that he had such friction with Kennedy, though not unexpected. Probably saw him as a fussy socialite whose awareness of poverty barely extended into the suburbs, let alone into the rural areas.

It's important to note that Kennedy was in many ways a proto-Third-Wayer.

Dude was explicitly reaching out to demographics that had long been Republican staples, which is to say monied coastal families. It's unsurprising that an old-timey southern populist Democrat would distrust him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PupsOfWar posted:

It's important to note that Kennedy was in many ways a proto-Third-Wayer.

Dude was explicitly reaching out to demographics that had long been Republican staples, which is to say monied coastal families. It's unsurprising that an old-timey southern populist Democrat would distrust him.

It's funnier that Kennedy probably hoped he'd appeal to Dixiecrats and he turned out to be a huge proponent of civil rights.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

JeffersonClay posted:

Hillary is now opposing mass incarceration, one of Bill's shittiest compromises.

vox

It indicates he probably wasn't a segregationist, but it could also indicate the "white man's burden" type of white supremacy.

Gotta post the details of the article. It's actually pretty interesting.

quote:

Hillary Clinton calls for end to mass incarceration, reversing Bill Clinton legacy

Hillary Clinton will propose providing body cameras to every police department in the country and, even more important, call for an end to the "era of mass incarceration," explicitly rejecting a pillar of Bill Clinton's legacy.

Hillary Clinton's remarks in New York later today come against the backdrop of authorities trying to regain control of riot-torn Baltimore — a matter Clinton plans to address — and at a time when 2016 presidential candidates in both parties are rethinking the wisdom of long prison sentences.

Clinton's position on mass incarceration is at once a stunning condemnation of one of the most clear-cut policy failures of Bill Clinton's presidency, a flashing sign of how that policy failure has fundamentally altered the national political landscape on criminal justice issues, and a relatively pedestrian prescription for a Democrat, given where some Republicans stand on sentencing reform.

In 1994, Bill Clinton's crime bill prescribed putting 100,000 more police on American streets, authorized billions of dollars for prison construction, forced states to impose harsher sentences on violent offenders to be eligible for prison-construction grants, and deprived federal inmates of access to college courses. It also banned assault weapons for a decade.

Two years later, Clinton campaigned aggressively on the law, which liberals in his own party, particularly minorities, warned would have negative unintended consequences. The Democratic Party's platform in 1996 included a long run about Clinton's crime bill, praising him for taking a tough stand on sentencing: "We believe that people who break the law should be punished, and people who commit violent crimes should be punished severely. President Clinton made three-strikes-you're-out the law of the land, to ensure that the most dangerous criminals go to jail for life, with no chance of parole."

Twenty years ago, harsh sentences were political gold for a Democratic president seeking to show his toughness in a reelection campaign. Now Republican presidential candidates, including Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky, are calling for the repeal of mandatory minimum sentences. And Hillary Clinton, the front-runner for the Democratic nomination, knows ending mass incarceration is high on the priority list for many in her own party and outside it.

Since that 1996 election, the prevailing wisdom on Bill Clinton's approach — and his position on it — has changed. An analysis by the Pew Charitable Trusts shows that incarceration rates and crime rates can drop at the same time.

In the foreword to a new series of essays put together by the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University, Bill Clinton preempted Hillary's remarks by two days.

"The drop in violence and crime in America has been an extraordinary national achievement. But plainly, our nation has too many people in prison and for too long — we have overshot the mark," he wrote, echoing a sentiment he expressed last fall. "We acted to address a genuine national crisis. But much has changed since then. It’s time to take a clear-eyed look at what worked, what didn’t, and what produced unintended, long-lasting consequences."

In his view, he writes, putting more cops on the street worked.

But that's a big part of the reason for the growth in incarceration, the authors of a National Research Council of the National Academies study concluded.

"The increase in the use of imprisonment as a response to crime reflects a clear policy choice," they wrote. "In the 1980s and 1990s, state and federal legislators passed and governors and presidents signed laws intended to ensure that more of those convicted would be imprisoned and that prison terms for many offenses would be longer than in earlier periods. No other inference can be drawn from the enactment of hundreds of laws mandating lengthier prison terms."

Today, Hillary Clinton will talk about the "need to reform our criminal justice system by changing the way we approach punishment and prison, including reforms to probation and drug diversions, increasing support for mental health and drug treatment, and pursuing alternative punishments for low-level offenders, especially young people," a Clinton aide said.

She'll speak at the David N. Dinkins Leadership and Public Policy Forum at Columbia University, and she will also endorse expanding the use of body cameras by police departments, according to the aide.

The body cameras may well be the headline. But the 180-degree turn in the politics of mass incarceration, and in the Clintons' approach to criminal justice, is the story.

Kind of funny that Bill changed his position to "I was right to support harsher punishments in the 90's and it worked. But now it doesn't work and Hillary is also right to oppose it today. We are both right."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

It could, but keep in mind, icantfindaname asserted, "if you're hard on him you could say he was probably sort of racist." I don't see much evidence that this was true, whereas his volunteering to teach Mexican kids in segregated schools at least suggests otherwise.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gotta post the details of the article. It's actually pretty interesting.

Kind of funny that Bill changed his position to "I was right to support harsher punishments in the 90's and it worked. But now it doesn't work and Hillary is also right to oppose it today. We are both right."

Sounds more to me like an admission that he overreacted.

The real story isn't her endorsement of body cameras. It's her and her husband's shift from the 90s, from criminals being the enemy who must be locked away to criminals as people.

Transcript here: https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/its-time-end-era-mass-incarceration/

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 29, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

LBJ also had probably the greatest speech-writing team ever, to the point that it's kind of comical listening to him read this lofty, monumental material in his folksy, texan-ish way.

:911: The American Promise :911:

:911: motherfuckers :911:

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 29, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Majorian posted:

It could, but keep in mind, icantfindaname asserted, "if you're hard on him you could say he was probably sort of racist." I don't see much evidence that this was true, whereas his volunteering to teach Mexican kids in segregated schools at least suggests otherwise.

He also had no problem using the n-word to refer to African-Americans and once asked his chauffeur if he'd prefer to be called by his name or "boy." Upon receiving the obvious answer, he told him to get hosed - he was black so he better get used to not being called by his name.

LBJ definitely exhibited racist tendencies on a regular basis. He was also genuinely devoted to reducing inequality - both racial and economic. These aren't contradictory things.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

LBJ also had probably the greatest speech-writing team ever, to the point that it's kind of comical listening to him read this lofty, monumental material in his folksy, texan-ish way.

:911: The American Promise :911:

:911: motherfuckers :911:

:911: bunghole :911:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kalman posted:

He also had no problem using the n-word to refer to African-Americans and once asked his chauffeur if he'd prefer to be called by his name or "boy." Upon receiving the obvious answer, he told him to get hosed - he was black so he better get used to not being called by his name.

LBJ definitely exhibited racist tendencies on a regular basis. He was also genuinely devoted to reducing inequality - both racial and economic. These aren't contradictory things.

Ah. I didn't know that, actually. Disappointing. Still, like the piece says, a man of his time and all that. I think he probably believed in what he was doing with the Civil Rights movement, at least to some extent. But clearly he was at least a little bit racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

whydirt posted:

I like that Edwards' '08 campaign has completely gone down the memory hole.

I remember that election very well, since it was the first presidential election where I was old enough to vote, and yeah, he seems to be forgotten by most but at the time he was a real possibility. At least, he was around my friends at school. Then the scandal happened and whelp.

• Locked thread