Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Usually USPS is pretty reliable here, except our carrier always mixes up 2332 and 2232. I went to 2332 to see if they got my headphones, they said no.

I contacted meh.com, they said "call the post office". Gee, thanks. I had already done that and filed a lost package claim, and also discovered that meh.com didn't insure the package (not that it would matter, since it was "delivered to mailbox" anyway - nevermind a box that size won't fit in my mailbox).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Usually USPS is pretty reliable here, except our carrier always mixes up 2332 and 2232. I went to 2332 to see if they got my headphones, they said no.

I contacted meh.com, they said "call the post office". Gee, thanks. I had already done that and filed a lost package claim, and also discovered that meh.com didn't insure the package (not that it would matter, since it was "delivered to mailbox" anyway - nevermind a box that size won't fit in my mailbox).

What do you expect from a company called "meh".

Holy poo poo what a poo poo of a week so far. Lots of bad things happened and are happening with people around me but there was a special heat seeking "gently caress-you" a little while ago.

I was trying to copy a video from my tablet to the PC in Linux. The file manager hosed up and it was just acting lovely in general. I rebooted to Win8. tried again and it bluescreened. First time ever too. So I went bask to linux and it couldn't complete booting. Just locked up. Hit reset and it dumped me into emergency mode. The logs don't really show anything either except the last cryptic entry which looked like it bitching that the Logitech mouse wasn't an MTP device. No poo poo.
So now Linux is stuck in limbo. Besides using it day to day and for video editing, I've been waiting for months to try the 1.0 release of Kerbal Space Program. Linux is running off a Sandisk Extreme SSD and Windows is on a WD Green. KSP is hell in Windows.

e: aaaand linux mysteriously started working again even though it didn't after multiple attempts. This screams unspecified hardware issue.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 29, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meh is actually founded by the same guys that founded Woot, before they sold it to Amazon (and they're literally just down the road from Woot). They're also local, and occasionally have some really great deals.

For example, the comforters I got for both my bed (double) and parents bed (king) ran me a total of $45, shipped, for both. They're incredibly warm, almost as warm as a down comforter, and have microfiber cloth.

Also, a Green? I'm sorry.

8 isn't bad as long as you get Classic Shell or StartIsBack. Overall it's a little quicker than 7 was.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

So installed the Samsung driver straight from the source. This is where i'm at with no ability to drag and drop files or even see anything other than being able to pull pictures off it.

I've been in a very similar place with both a Nexus 4 and 5. The computers simply will not see them as storage devices and/or will not allow you to transfer files.

On the N5, I tracked it down to a driver issue and had to gently caress around with that. On the N4, I was just pulling stuff off to clear it, and it was my wife's pictures and stuff, so I just cloud-synced it and called it "good enough."

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

Meh is actually founded by the same guys that founded Woot, before they sold it to Amazon (and they're literally just down the road from Woot). They're also local, and occasionally have some really great deals.

For example, the comforters I got for both my bed (double) and parents bed (king) ran me a total of $45, shipped, for both. They're incredibly warm, almost as warm as a down comforter, and have microfiber cloth.

Also, a Green? I'm sorry.

8 isn't bad as long as you get Classic Shell or StartIsBack. Overall it's a little quicker than 7 was.

Yeah well I got 8 for a tiny fraction of the price of 7, or even Vista.

I only got the green for storage. Windows got chucked on there as an afterthought.

Well, um. Good story about the stores. Great prices for sure. Sucks about the headphones going missing.

I did a couple of very low dollar purchases through the Geek app a few days ago. Their prices aren't as good as Aliexpress but their app doesn't bring on the red mist in seconds like the Aliexpress one does. I ordered one of those headphone leads with the males on both ends because the last one got broken, and some kind of magnetic viscous putty stuff. If it works out I'm going to rebel against the system and buy their cheap pack of 3 laser pointers. Can't say know to having the complete RGB set. At worst they'll probably just get confiscated and a nasty warning letter from customs. I'm not going to shine them in anybody's eyes or anything.

e: also. KSP has been downloading for hours. It's up to 337mb with an estimated 10 hours left. gently caress my ISP. It's a 610mb download ffs. It should be done in 5 minutes.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 29, 2015

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
After years of freelancing and the past six months being utterly loving bullshit, I might finally be about to get a job. Got forwarded an email from an agency by an old friend, emailed them, and they've asked me to submit CV/folio before the job's even being formally advertised. Fingers loving crossed. I want to build up my 'buy a stupid car' fund again.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy gently caress I took too many drug last night. Coffee by the gallon trying to stay away. Still feel a little hosed up. Gonna be a long day.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Ugh.. Last night I decided to free-form some curry burgers. They were tasty, spicy, and made with ghost chili powder. I am paying the price already.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy gently caress I took too many drug last night. Coffee by the gallon trying to stay away. Still feel a little hosed up. Gonna be a long day.

I TOLD YOU NEVER TO TAKE MORE THAN THREE DRUG.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I'll give it a shot when i get home.

I'm a god dammed luddite.

You say that, but my phone is currently a nokia 8250 from 2000, so I'm a super luddite, or hipster apparently, when it comes to phones.
If I need the internet or "social media"*, I'll use my laptop or buy a tablet.
I gave any last hurrah nokia smart phones or android phones away 2 years ago.
The 8250 is small, light, strong, long battery life and that's all I need for phone calls or SMS.

* :lol: , I don't want extra exposure to "professional" media, let alone hear what average dumb people have to say 24/7

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 29, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Pretty sure it was today.

It was Monday.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

You say that, but my phone is currently a nokia 8250 from 2000, so I'm a super luddite, or hipster apparently, when it comes to phones.
The 8250 is small, light, strong, long battery life and that's all I need for phone calls or SMS.

* :lol: , I don't want extra exposure to "professional" media, let alone hear what average dumb people have to say 24/7

It's pretty much an S 5 to view SA at work when slow :v;

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fo3 posted:

I roll with one of these which the screen is cracked in two places on and I've dropped and exploded the case/battery all over the floor a million times or more by now.

I'm supplied an iphone from work and I loving hate the thing.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You ever notice how people that don't use smart phones just loving love to tell you how much they don't need them?

Yeah, I know you're better than me, shut up about it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Shut up yourself, I just hate talking and I suck in general, not trying to be "better" than anyone else. I don't have in interest in modern social media like twitter or FB.
I had no phone for 3 years, just got an old one back online in case of car breakdowns, to make phone calls because good luck finding a public phone these days and if you do it will cost $1 to make a call. Also for when I'm in hospital. Broke down 3 times last year, been in hospital 3 times this year.

88h88 posted:

I roll with one of these which the screen is cracked in two places on and I've dropped and exploded the case/battery all over the floor a million times or more by now.

I'm supplied an iphone from work and I loving hate the thing.
Is that a slide phone? How is it still working? I went through a fair few nokia and samsung sliders years ago and they all broke pretty quickly.
Before I switched to android, the last nokia I had was a c7 which still works as it wasn't a slider.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 29, 2015

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Astonishing Wang posted:

You ever notice how people that don't use smart phones just loving love to tell you how much they don't need them?

Same with people who have a smart phone with a physical keyboard.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lightbulb Out posted:

FRAG OUT!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

I miss my Android phone that had a keyboard, I hate on screen typing :smith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

You do realize he has an account here right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AI Chat Thread: Inspect Your Gadgets Defend Your Purchase

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

I miss my Android phone that had a keyboard, I hate on screen typing :smith:

Swype is pretty bitchin, just saying.

I just left a very nice job interview and I feel it went well. My Baja project might very well be the reason I get this job. Crossing fingers, hopes up :ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

My Baja project might very well be the reason I get this job.

Who says project cars aren't investments?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

IOwnCalculus posted:

Who says project cars aren't investments?

People with financial sense?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're not buying phones now we're buying multimedia devices that are painfully forced into the role of a phone

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Astonishing Wang posted:

I hate social media, however I love the idea of a touchscreen phone. It makes me feel like we're living in Star Trek.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Swype is pretty bitchin, just saying.

I really really hate swype. Sorry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I really really hate swype. Sorry.

swiftkey is better, imo

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

MustardFacial posted:

I hate social media, however I love the idea of a touchscreen phone. It makes me feel like we're living in Star Trek.

I was bummed when flip phones went away, because they always reminded me of the classic Trek communicators.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
As a kid nerd growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s, current phones are everything I wanted my Palm pilot/Compaq PDA/etc etc to be.

Also +1 to Google keyboard gesture typing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

As a kid nerd growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s, current phones are everything I wanted my Palm pilot/Compaq PDA/etc etc to be.

Also +1 to Google keyboard gesture typing.

In a way, I miss my iPaq.

In other ways, I want to burn it in effigy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

So simulator chat...I may have just bought this. Now I need to figure out how the hell I'm getting it here (1000 miles away) in one piece.

Yup this is now sitting in the back of Moms minivan, it fit...barely. Played it long enough for 3 ugly laps of Road America then started loading it up. No idea how the hell I'm getting it to my house but for now we'll set it up in the garage and Dad will get a lot of use from it.

My brother mentioned the book "The Martian" by Andy Weir the other day and said I should read it. Tossed it on the kindle last minute today before heading out the door. Holy poo poo what a book. Highly recommend it to anyone that likes anything science fiction or space related.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

anyone who feels REALLY STRONGLY about a stupid loving phone or stupid loving keyboard is someone who has too much free time and is probably insufferable to hang out with HTH.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Slow is Fast posted:

anyone who feels REALLY STRONGLY about a stupid loving phone or stupid loving keyboard is someone who has too much free time and is probably insufferable to hang out with HTH.

You seem to be getting pretty mad about other people's feeling on devices.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Slow is Fast posted:

Hey man, kastein seems like a cool guy to hang with :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

.....um, I work in IT and study physics. I was insufferable to begin with.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Felt seriously ill on the way back from lunch. Blew chunks all over the job site. Went home. Pulled over twice on the highway and also barfed as soon I got home. What the gently caress!?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Felt seriously ill on the way back from lunch. Blew chunks all over the job site. Went home. Pulled over twice on the highway and also barfed as soon I got home. What the gently caress!?

Yeah I dunno man.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Food poisoning sounds like. Hydrate and if it gets worse, seek medical attention.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slow is Fast posted:

I just pray my poo poo turns on and works. Explains why my computers are at least... 8 years old and my phone is 2 years.

Yes I still use XP. No I don't care. poo poo works, that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Food poisoning sounds like. Hydrate and if it gets worse, seek medical attention.

so much for that "sick days are for pussies" poo poo from a month or two ago

• Locked thread