Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Unless you really care about cloth maps, in which case, only the Xbox One's Collector's Edition has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

alex314 posted:

Your PC should give you graphic details at least on par with PS4, but of course we'll have to wait for benchmarks..

I had thought so with whatever my setup was back when Witcher 2 came out and it took me days to figure out how to keep the settings from eviscerating my PC, I just sort of assumed that the requirements for this one would be equally over the top, and since I have the 20th off to play all day I don't want to be held up by PC issues like 15FPS.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PC also has the advantage in that you can actually choose which graphic options you want to raise/lower.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Unless you really care about cloth maps, in which case, only the Xbox One's Collector's Edition has one.

Do they not all have a cloth map? I thought the only exclusive was the cards. Honestly, yall would know better than I.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind playing on medium and/or low settings as long as I can get a reasonably good and steady framerate (GTX 660 Ti, AMD FX-6300 6-core and 8GB RAM). I'm not really worried about it, even though I probably should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUADJOjQTj4

I kinda disliked the combat in TW2 and felt like it was a step back compared to the first game (yes, I'm serious), but this just looks so much more enjoyable. No need to constantly roll anymore, corpses don't seem to instantly disappear like in TW2, and there's proper Fallout-level gore now too!

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I don't mind playing on medium and/or low settings as long as I can get a reasonably good and steady framerate (GTX 660 Ti, AMD FX-6300 6-core and 8GB RAM). I'm not really worried about it, even though I probably should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUADJOjQTj4

I kinda disliked the combat in TW2 and felt like it was a step back compared to the first game (yes, I'm serious), but this just looks so much more enjoyable. No need to constantly roll anymore, corpses don't seem to instantly disappear like in TW2, and there's proper Fallout-level gore now too!

I enjoyed watching the bandit archer at the end shoot his buddy in the back.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

alex314 posted:

Your PC should give you graphic details at least on par with PS4, but of course we'll have to wait for benchmarks..

It seems the speed of my CPU puts me under minimum requirements? I haven't bought a PC game that I wasnt' sure I could run in a long time and it's giving me anxiety.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could just buy it on PS4 now and get it again on PC when it is inevitably on sale for $2 like the last two Witcher games. This series has fantastic sales and that's what I'm planning on doing since my PC wouldn't do so hot running this game. Maybe I could, but I'd rather just be sure.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Do they not all have a cloth map? I thought the only exclusive was the cards. Honestly, yall would know better than I.

I don't really care about the Collector's Edition (too expensive for me and I don't have the space for all those trinkets), but I remember the Xbox One had an exclusive item and googled it, and apparently both the cloth map and the cards are exclusive to the Xbox One version. There's still a map in the Collector's Edition for the other two versions of the game, but apparently it's made of shittier materials?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59wkusd5WU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I'm glad I requested the xbone version for my free collector's edition (I do not own an xbone but I wanted the cards)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
More youtubers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLD8kwLMZ00

The one with the corpses is one my my quests. (For the past year or two, originally someone else's).

(The fact that the bodyguards are too high a level is already fixed (and not my bug despite the poo poo I've been getting about it from marketing people))

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 29, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Well, looks like newegg isn't supplying any more Witcher 3 pack-ins with the 970 video cards. The side ad-banner is still there, but all the products linked to no longer display the offer on their item page.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Oh, I looked today, and yes you can turn off monster heath bars. You can actually toggle them independently of boss health bars.

Thanks for taking the time to look for this!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Comte, I have a control question. Is left stick movement analog (push the stick slightly to walk, all the way to run) with a separate sprint button, or more like mordor/gta where there is a separate run button? I hope it's the latter as it will translate much better to m+kb controls.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Xander77 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4kOH_X7cM

In other news, I'm probably not going to afford to upgrade my computer for this. Going to see if a 640 explodes in my face when trying to run the game.

The fact that they didn't want to show off kb+m controls this close to release has me slightly worried.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If my Athlon II x4, Radeon 6850 system won't run The Witcher 3 I will refund so hard Comte de Saint-Germain will be fired.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

More youtubers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLD8kwLMZ00

The one with the corpses is one my my quests. (For the past year or two, originally someone else's).

(The fact that the bodyguards are too high a level is already fixed (and not my bug despite the poo poo I've been getting about it from marketing people))

The game isn't even out yet and you're already making it easier for those drat casuals? Pre-order cancelled!

beer_war posted:

The fact that they didn't want to show off kb+m controls this close to release has me slightly worried.

I don't think they'll gently caress up the menu controls and the targetting was already pretty much perfect in W2.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

beer_war posted:

Same here. I'm for sure buying the game, but debating on PC vs PS4 due to the controls. I know I can just use a controller for the PC version, but to me it's just not comfortable using a controller sitting on anything but a couch - call me weird. And moving my PC to the living room isn't really an option I would consider.

Here's to hoping it controls like PC Mordor rather than TW2.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Broose posted:

Well, looks like newegg isn't supplying any more Witcher 3 pack-ins with the 970 video cards. The side ad-banner is still there, but all the products linked to no longer display the offer on their item page.

That's kinda BS, since on their page for it "Offers expire 5/31/2015 at 11:59 P.M. PT."

Hoping this is just a glitch.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Same here. I'm for sure buying the game, but debating on PC vs PS4 due to the controls. I know I can just use a controller for the PC version, but to me it's just not comfortable using a controller sitting on anything but a couch - call me weird. And moving my PC to the living room isn't really an option I would consider.

Here's to hoping it controls like PC Mordor rather than TW2.

Are you saying the W2 PC controls were bad?

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Well now I'm stoked that I bought my 970 last night and didn't wait until today. I hope they still honor it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Newegg Salespuke posted:

Thank you for holding. I apologize for the inconvenience. The promotion has expired. However, the VGA cards have another promotion at this moment.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:suicide:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 29, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Are you saying the W2 PC controls were bad?

The detection for looting world items was pretty wonky, for both kbm and controller on PC. FWIW I also own the 360 version and CDPR did a great job refining those controls. I have no doubt those improvements are carried over to the TW3 controller scheme, but I'm wary that the kbm controls will feel just as floaty as TW2.

Edit: I guess I'm just a stickler for third person controls using kbm. Mordor I feel got it absolutely perfect. WASD is walking, hold space to run, tap spacebar to roll/jump. TW2 and just about every other 3rd person PC game is WASD to RUN, hold another key to walk, it is just doesn't feel as immersive. It's really hard to explain, but kbm controls on 3rd person games always feel like an afterthought to me and take second fiddle to a controller, yet I don't like sitting at a desk to play with a controller. Mordor felt like it struck the perfect balance however.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

The detection for looting world items was pretty wonky, for both kbm and controller on PC.

Also the detection for finding the spot to climb, jump down or opening doors was rather wonky too. Luckily those things won't be a problem anymore.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

OAquinas posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:suicide:

I suspected Nvidia would run out of keys before May 31, but drat that was quick.
They must be killing AMD 9:1 in sales :smith:

ObesePriest
Nov 4, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Amazon looks like its still running the promotion and amazon let's you return GPUs instead of neweggs replacement policy :smug:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
If I am really good at W2, am I going to be good at W3 too?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Lareine posted:

If I am really good at W2, am I going to be good at W3 too?

I'm sure it will still be a humbling experience.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Have any of the youtubers done a deep dive on the skilltrees? That's basically the only thing I'm interested in knowing about before the game comes out. Anything non-mechanical I'd much rather experience myself when the game comes out, but skilltrees and character planning are fun to do beforehand.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

CottonWolf posted:

Have any of the youtubers done a deep dive on the skilltrees? That's basically the only thing I'm interested in knowing about before the game comes out. Anything non-mechanical I'd much rather experience myself when the game comes out, but skilltrees and character planning are fun to do beforehand.

The one youtuber guy posted earlier in the thread has another video up that goes more in depth with the general gameplay, along with skill trees.

https://youtu.be/No4kOH_X7cM

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

It seems the speed of my CPU puts me under minimum requirements? I haven't bought a PC game that I wasnt' sure I could run in a long time and it's giving me anxiety.
I thought you said you had an i5-4570? Because the minimum is an i5-2500k, and according to the first benchmark I googled the 4570 is about 9% faster than the 2500k. Also, your machine is still significantly faster than either console, so unless the devs did an absolutely horrible PC optimization job you should be able to get better graphics than the consoles.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
I unironically want one of those king of the wild hunt t-shirts all the devs are wearing.

Where can I get one, Comte?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

psychoJ posted:

The one youtuber guy posted earlier in the thread has another video up that goes more in depth with the general gameplay, along with skill trees.

https://youtu.be/No4kOH_X7cM

Yeah, I had a look at that. It doesn't really show the majority of the skills, but if that's the best going, I'll take what I can get!

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Will we be able to switch difficulties after we've started the game? I'm unsure if I'll want to play on normal or hard. I played W2 on hard for my 2nd playthrough, and enjoyed it more, but it seems like if I need a challenge in W3 I can just fight higher level poo poo. I'll probably go hard just to make sure it stays interesting, but I hope that just means I'll have to be more careful, and not that I'll have to stay within my level range (ie on hard you do less damage, so it becomes a chore to kill higher level beasties).

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Archimago posted:

I unironically want one of those king of the wild hunt t-shirts all the devs are wearing.

Where can I get one, Comte?
https://www.witcherstore.com/p/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_premium_tee.html

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Will we be able to switch difficulties after we've started the game? I'm unsure if I'll want to play on normal or hard. I played W2 on hard for my 2nd playthrough, and enjoyed it more, but it seems like if I need a challenge in W3 I can just fight higher level poo poo. I'll probably go hard just to make sure it stays interesting, but I hope that just means I'll have to be more careful, and not that I'll have to stay within my level range (ie on hard you do less damage, so it becomes a chore to kill higher level beasties).

It sounds like there are level ranges for quests, generally monster hunts. Hopefully you can turn the level notification off, even if it means you have to reload because something twice your level kicks your rear end and you don't know how powerful it is.

Dark Mode on W2 was tough but great on my second playthrough. The original game I played on normal and it still felt at times like Baldur's Gate hard. Like you really had to read books, find potions and oils, and prepare for a fight. It was almost 8 years ago playing The Witcher, and all flaws aside I really loved that aspect of "doing your homework" before tackling a monster.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

g0del posted:

I thought you said you had an i5-4570? Because the minimum is an i5-2500k, and according to the first benchmark I googled the 4570 is about 9% faster than the 2500k. Also, your machine is still significantly faster than either console, so unless the devs did an absolutely horrible PC optimization job you should be able to get better graphics than the consoles.

This is what I'm going by

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
You are fine. I'm pretty sure that tool is just looking at your clock rate irrespective of generation pedigree. IIRC the Haswell i5s are clocked slower than Sandy but are actually faster. That i5 actuallly turbo's up to 3.6 GHz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm hitting dangerous levels of hype. Over the next several nights I'm going to be playing a 100% playthrough of The Witcher, followed by a 100% playthrough (you know, barring two-act-twos) of TW2, all alongside reading the first two/three book.

Hell, I bought my brand new 970 JUST for The Witcher 3. GTAV was a happy accident in comparison.

• Locked thread