Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

lol at all you scrubs who don't know that guys called bo shekk. s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
some of the funnier people to have fleshed out back stories: the 6 breasted lady in jabbas palace, the guy that cries after the rancor dies

i mean literally everybody that you see in star wars pretty much has a name in backstory, its loving insane.

for example, this guy is an assassin that drinks peoples brains through straws that comes out of his head. he really wanted to drink obi wans and han solos but it never really worked out for him.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dannik_Jerriko

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also this suave motherfucker and this fine little piece of tail have one where they gently caress (sadly no pictures)

and then she kills him

Otisburg posted:

lol at all you scrubs who don't know that guys called bo shekk. s

I like how he's from the same planet and ostensibly same ethnic group as Han Solo but his name is BoShek, one word

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
is that a picture of a gotal

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Those stories were kinda cool if you didn't read them as some kind of addition to the canon but just as weird little stories inspired by weird looking aliens in a cool movie scene.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Fetus Tree posted:

some of the funnier people to have fleshed out back stories: the 6 breasted lady in jabbas palace, the guy that cries after the rancor dies

i mean literally everybody that you see in star wars pretty much has a name in backstory, its loving insane.

"URoRRuR'R'R was played by stunt coordinator Peter Diamond, who was the only stunt person on location in Tunisia. As shown in the documentary Empire of Dreams, Diamond actually only held aloft his Gaffi stick once. Editors Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew rewound and repeated this shot several times to make it seem as if he rocked it back and forth in triumph. The famous bellow was then added by Ben Burtt, fashioned from donkey brays. "

URoRRuR'R'R's backstory http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/URoRRuR%27R%27R

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't the backstory of the "you'll be DEAD" guy that he's some kind of evil doctor?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

"URoRRuR'R'R was played by stunt coordinator Peter Diamond, who was the only stunt person on location in Tunisia. As shown in the documentary Empire of Dreams, Diamond actually only held aloft his Gaffi stick once. Editors Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew rewound and repeated this shot several times to make it seem as if he rocked it back and forth in triumph. The famous bellow was then added by Ben Burtt, fashioned from donkey brays. "

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't the backstory of the "you'll be DEAD" guy that he's some kind of evil doctor?

correct

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm pretty sure he was given his "name" by the Decipher card game, which featured a LOT of tongue in cheek names/descriptions, probably because they had to make cards for loving everything. It's probably the source of a lot of Wookieepedia garbage, a one-off joke by a bored intern becoming enshrined as a Star Wars Fact. There was a random imperial soldier whose flavor text ended with "hasn't had a date in years", and I'm sure if I could find his Wookieepedia entry it would contain that information and also a detailed description of why. Probably he was too busy trying to steal the death star plans.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Do people not seem to get that the reason why everyone has a backstory is peak, "We gotta sell some fuckin' toys!" Instead of just making space assault Luke Skywalker with dinosaur friend, they made a figure of everybody because the demand was that high for Star Wars figures back in the day. Merchandising was so primitive back then the only thing they could think of was to add more characters.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Do people not seem to get that the reason why everyone has a backstory is peak, "We gotta sell some fuckin' toys!" Instead of just making space assault Luke Skywalker with dinosaur friend, they made a figure of everybody because the demand was that high for Star Wars figures back in the day. Merchandising was so primitive back then the only thing they could think of was to add more characters.

if half the people we were talking about actually had toys you might be right

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't think this is true at all. The reason they have so many characters is the merchandising, yes, but I think the "everyone has a backstory" came much later. Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire was almost ten years after the original trilogy, and most of the EU crap came out after Zahn's books.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what Timothy Zahn's reaction was when that rebel pilot hosed a space weasel.

Like, he came up with this unsexy alien race, and then another author things "Ah yes, my Mary Sure self insert character must totally gently caress this Bothan babe".

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
p sure it was a selonian and that zahn had nothing to do with that race, nor the character

there is a rebel pilot that bangs a bothan tho, but again its not zahns character

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Originally I typed up a joke about a BoShek action figure and how stupid that would be but then I checked Google and they exist :stare:

Nah though, the reason all the cantina aliens have backstories is because EU writers are basically fanfiction authors, and they developed headcanons. For example an extremely bitter lady looked at those two aliens from that picture and said "I bet he's planning on loving her and never calling her again, just like that rear end in a top hat Danny, but the joke's on him because she's totally gonna murder him right after, with her razor-sharp tongue" and then she made it happen with her words. And a manchild looked at BoShek and went "His sideburns are cool. I bet he could do the Kessel Run in even fewer parsecs than Han, and I bet he's Force-sensitive too and Obi-Wan was just telling him to beware the seductive power of the Dark Side. :downs:"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gavin Darklighter hosed a Bothan but he wasn't Stackpole's Mary-Sue self-insert, Corran Horn was

e: can't blame him either, check out this fine lady

:eyepop:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Just for reference. I could be wrong on this but the whole reason half those characters have names is because of trading cards and action figures.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
yeah star wars would have been a lot cooler with fewer interesting looking aliens i think

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I forgot about good ol' Trash Can Robot :allears:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

loquacius posted:

And a manchild looked at BoShek and went "His sideburns are cool. I bet he could do the Kessel Run in even fewer parsecs than Han, and I bet he's Force-sensitive too and Obi-Wan was just telling him to beware the seductive power of the Dark Side. :downs:"

The most cringeworthy EU moment for me now is that until I read this post, when people were posting about BoShek I thought they were talking about Wuher.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
gonk

i've put this together via context clues ITT, but is BoShek the guy that was wearing a green flight suit in the cantina?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Just for reference. I could be wrong on this but the whole reason half those characters have names is because of trading cards and action figures.

You're right. But the "everyone has a Force-sensitive backstory" EU is 10+ years after any of the figures in the top two rows.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
HAN SOLO
(in TRENCH COAT)

When did that happen in the movies?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

RALF posted:

HAN SOLO
(in TRENCH COAT)

When did that happen in the movies?

return of the jedi you noob

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

gonk

i've put this together via context clues ITT, but is BoShek the guy that was wearing a green flight suit in the cantina?

He's this 70s-looking motherfucker, not sure if his suit is green

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
oh, that is who i meant anyway, i thought he was wearin green. but yeah, that guy

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yes, such names like "Hammerhead", "Walrus Man", "Snaggletooth" and "Squid-Head". :cthulhu:

Fake edit: Oh poo poo, I never knew that Jabba's guards are named "Klaatu" , "Barada", and "Nikto".

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why does Vader have a popped collar? :confused:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

5er posted:

As this thread gravitates back towards the defense of the wholesale creativity black hole that is the SWEU, I am delighted again with (Disney necrotized) Lucasfilms stating the old EU is non-canon. So long, thanks for all the masturbatory self-inserts and moronic interpretations of magic bacteria power limitations!

But. There's a darker truth, and a darker future.

The old EU is out, but these merchandising whores sure as hell aren't going to discourage a new one from erupting, like an ignored pilonodal cyst on the Wookiee-like furry crack of an average fanfiction author. This new EU will be incubated in the vile, pederastic ichor of the Internet-emboldened furvert, the brony, and the maladjusted 'social justice warrior' who is just waiting to bring Darth Ableism into the world.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Star wars isn't marvel. they wont just hire a bunch of really bad tumblr/sjw writers. they will probably just hire mediocre and on occasion good sci-fi writers.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Darth Vader (in Grace Jones outfit)

e: R2-D2 and the c3po whose arms you could pull off were the best

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

playing the old decipher ccg game made you know the deets and motivations for each alien dude that's ever been shown on screen

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dannik jeriko was cool and my bro used to use boba fett and capture some dudes and feed it to him. my fave was braniac, who could do the calculations for hyperspace nav in his head and you had to calculate his power and defense every turn :D

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

A doctor? I think you mean a bounty hunter-pirate-smuggler. There's no such thing as doctors or lawyers or teachers in the EU.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PostNouveau posted:

A doctor? I think you mean a bounty hunter-pirate-smuggler. There's no such thing as doctors or lawyers or teachers in the EU.

I will point you to Nawara Ven to disprove your statement. And Piggy, he's a math teacher!!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

loquacius posted:

I forgot about good ol' Trash Can Robot :allears:

did you know there's a religious following of the gonk g*nk droid?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

ah page 3, we were all so innocent then

The Bible
May 8, 2010

What's the epic backstory behind that little roomba droid Chewbacca roared at and scared away? Did Luke build it or something?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

loquacius posted:

Gavin Darklighter hosed a Bothan but he wasn't Stackpole's Mary-Sue self-insert, Corran Horn was

e: can't blame him either, check out this fine lady

:eyepop:

bothans are weird because the EU kept changing what they looked like depending on the author's whims until galaxies came out

zahn basically made them sound like humans with extra fur and claws

stackpole made them into similar to zahn's idea but also kind of cat-like

and then galaxies comes along and they're full on goat people for some reason

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Bible posted:

What's the epic backstory behind that little roomba droid Chewbacca roared at and scared away? Did Luke build it or something?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MSE-6-series_repair_droid

Who is the character from the original trilogy with the craziest screentime-to-wookipedia ratio. Basically, whoever has the least screentime with the longest Wookipedia article. Bonus points if their wookipedia article is longer than a real-life equivalent Sort of like how the USS Enterprise from Star Trek has a longer Wikipedia article than the USS Enterprise in the US Navy.

Example:

IG-88 the droid bounty hunter gets ~4 seconds of screen time, but has a wookipedia page with 2,840 words.
Dog the Bounty hunter has a show spanning 7 years, but has a wikipedia page with only 1,600 words.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Davin_Felth

Davin Felth said "Look sir, droids!" and has a ridiculous amount of poo poo

• Locked thread