Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Barnyard Protein posted:

i don't know if i can go on

its not actually used a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

reads as the fist function

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Bloody posted:

reads as the fist function

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

he's doing panic revision, the exam's probably tomorrow and he hasn't slept in 2 days. he probably stared blankly at that code for like 30 mins in a fatigued state before giving up and posting here

or at least, that's the generous interpretation

yaeh despite the sometimes rediculous questions, the thread isnt my first port of call. i was studying last night for two exams i had today and neither of them is even the haskell one, thats next week

I got to write about the merits of dynamicly typed message systems vs statically typed messages in exam yesterday so that was cool

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the best part of statically typed distribution is that cloud Haskell requires you to boot a second independent cluster every time you want to upgrade one of the nodes because they can't cope with stuff otherwise.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MononcQc posted:

the best part of statically typed distribution is that cloud Haskell requires you to boot a second independent cluster every time you want to upgrade one of the nodes because they can't cope with stuff otherwise.

the opposite of this is what I wrote about Erlang and being able to gradually upgrade a system by letting through the new messages via some proxy process

the term "hot swap" was sadly not used however

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

hi pl thread should i learn rust

Rust seems pretty good so far, and I could definitely see it being used for serious stuff. You should learn it!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
does rust have a proper 1.0 release yet?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Barnyard Protein posted:

'car' is good if they wanted a three letter name that didn't make sense

"car" and "cdr" are "head" and "tail" now

dont use them either

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Valeyard posted:

does rust have a proper 1.0 release yet?

it's on alpha 3 and 1.0 is in like two weeks

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

triple sulk posted:

where did beta go?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Awia posted:

where did beta go?

I think triple sulk meant to say beta 3. Rust is currently in the middle of a six-week beta period, and I believe they are on the third revision of that beta. 1.0 will be released May 15th.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

does rust still redefine half the language every release or

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

Luigi Thirty posted:

my friends final year project, which wrapped up just last month, was to implement a graph library in rust with a bunch of traversal algorithms

he would routinely get owned by changes to the language despite there being a 1.0 release candidiate for a big chunk of the time lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

i always think functional languages should be really good for machine learning but i have absolutely no reason to think that and no evidence to support such a thought

because lisp came out of the MIT AI Lab and was used for that kind of thing there and gets kind of lumped in with functional languages because it can be used in a functional style

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that sentence is stupid tho because pattern matching means you're rarely using fst directly anyway

i'm glad clojure avoided dumb names and stupid operators

I always liked Logo's "first" and "butfirst"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Luigi Thirty posted:

no, that's the point of the beta and subsequent 1.0

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
YOSPOS how do i test my unit

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
it is a large python

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

text me

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that sentence is stupid tho because pattern matching means you're rarely using fst directly anyway

i'm glad clojure avoided dumb names and stupid operators

this, and also user-definable reader macros

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ShadowHawk posted:

YOSPOS how do i test my unit

you don't. just ship it

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
you have come to a world called (car (extends vehicle))

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dessert Rose posted:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

I always liked Logo's "first" and "butfirst"

fst and butfst

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

fst and butfst

:wink:

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
cdadddddddadr

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dessert Rose posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

*whipcrack*

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.
a world full of (cons (tant aggravation))

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

Rust seems pretty good so far, and I could definitely see it being used for serious stuff. You should learn it!

I'm currently writing an RRT as an exercise in learning rust, and it's bittersweet. I find the language-level ideas really interesting and powerful, but like 90% of the std library is flagged "unstable" and using unstable features automatically causes compiler errors in the beta. This is ridiculous when stuff like weak pointers and randomly sampling doubles within a range are flagged as "unstable features". Also annoying is that rust only defines a partial order on floats, but super useful functions like min_by require a total order for absolutely no reason, which means I have to use naked for loops when working with floats.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the essence of the language feels sound, but even for a beta it's still so rough around the edges on very typical, simple use cases.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

giogadi posted:

I'm currently writing an RRT as an exercise in learning rust, and it's bittersweet. I find the language-level ideas really interesting and powerful, but like 90% of the std library is flagged "unstable" and using unstable features automatically causes compiler errors in the beta. This is ridiculous when stuff like weak pointers and randomly sampling doubles within a range are flagged as "unstable features". Also annoying is that rust only defines a partial order on floats, but super useful functions like min_by require a total order for absolutely no reason, which means I have to use naked for loops when working with floats.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the essence of the language feels sound, but even for a beta it's still so rough around the edges on very typical, simple use cases.

:agreed: w/r/t the unstable standard library--that decision sucked, but since the whole STL is going to be stable by May 15th it shouldn't be a problem for too long. As for the floats thing, floats are only partially ordered so it makes sense to keep them that way. It looks like stuff like min_by might get changed to accommodate this in the near future. See this RFC.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

:agreed: w/r/t the unstable standard library--that decision sucked, but since the whole STL is going to be stable by May 15th it shouldn't be a problem for too long. As for the floats thing, floats are only partially ordered so it makes sense to keep them that way. It looks like stuff like min_by might get changed to accommodate this in the near future. See this RFC.

Oh they're planning to stabilize the entire STL by May? Thank goodness for that.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning for the partial ordering and had even seen that RFC, I'm just annoyed that they're bikeshedding min_by so much that it looks like a fix won't make 1.0.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

DimpledChad posted:

(taint aggravation)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MononcQc posted:

idk if it's a big deal can u not just swapover your load balancers and poo poo just works? it's how azure's VIP swap thing works.

the fear i have w/ incremental upgrades is that u now have to test ur code in a mixed environment which just is not fun

cloud haskell is not so great but the semantics are pretty cool

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dessert Rose posted:

mods asap

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

idk if it's a big deal can u not just swapover your load balancers and poo poo just works? it's how azure's VIP swap thing works.

the fear i have w/ incremental upgrades is that u now have to test ur code in a mixed environment which just is not fun

cloud haskell is not so great but the semantics are pretty cool

Because if you have something like 50 servers in clusters and poo poo it means you now need a total of 100 just to deploy new software without risking losing capacity or uptime.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
OK I'm trying to get spun up on java / spring

-How do I make intellij tolerable for a vim / emacs dev

- how do I breakpoint / debugger most effectively?

Java 8 fwiw

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use eclipse instead.
learn to use a real editor instead of vim/eclipse.
put a breakpoint and then click debug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Is there like a nice list of Java best practices I can cargo cult until I understand the language? Mainly like :

- how to do exception handling best in java
- Java antipatterns
- gotchas
- weird gc related stuff

• Locked thread