Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

BadLlama posted:

I get called a friend of the family like every single day in this game.

Is your nick Negrolover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Is it me or are most crew skills middling to useless? They either require everybody to have the skill just to get functionality (camo, brothers in arms) or give such a tiny boost its really hard to notice a difference.

Sixth sense is probably the best. Actually all the Commander skills are useful.

But the loader and radioman skills are awful. Adrenaline Rush should give a scaling bonus- the less HP you have, the faster your reload. Radioman in general feels pointless and many higher tier tanks don't even need one.

I wish there were more loader abilities that improved reloading through situational circumstances- like getting critted or ramming an enemy. Radioman should get perks that spot enemies based on their radio range or enemy active skills and perks.
I think you can get a total 5% boost to view range with the commander and radioman skill together. That's pretty good.

The loader gets safe stowage which is really nice. Safe stowage, BIA, repair, and camo give loaders skills that are reasonably useful on most tanks. That's less than most of the other crew members, but it's still not terrible. And at least the other skills have edge cases where they become useful, albeit rarely.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Rincewinds posted:

Is your nick Negrolover?
Niggerlover is more likely, since WGA doesn't seem to care if you have "friend of the family" in your username. Go ahead and search in-game to see how many usernames contain "friend of the family". IIRC there are names like "kill_all_niggers", "niggerkiller", "niggerfaget", "niggerchimp"

The WOT community is the best.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Armored Warfare has :10bux: founders packs up for those that care.

They give guaranteed "early access", with "early access" meaning "a few days before the open beta". So it's open beta access +1? Weird.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

srb posted:

They give guaranteed "early access", with "early access" meaning "a few days before the open beta". So it's open beta access +1? Weird.

Yeah their terminology is strange and stupid but I think the packs save you money on gold/premium/tanks if you were going to spend money on the game without knowing anything about the game just ignoring the "early access".

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Panfilo posted:

Is it me or are most crew skills middling to useless? They either require everybody to have the skill just to get functionality (camo, brothers in arms) or give such a tiny boost its really hard to notice a difference.

But the loader and radioman skills are awful. Adrenaline Rush should give a scaling bonus- the less HP you have, the faster your reload. Radioman in general feels pointless and many higher tier tanks don't even need one.

I wish there were more loader abilities that improved reloading through situational circumstances- like getting critted or ramming an enemy. Radioman should get perks that spot enemies based on their radio range or enemy active skills and perks.

camo, repairs, sixth sense, and controlled impact are very nice things to have on an arty or TD. BiA goes without question for long reload guns

[e]: Tier X Leo rams are a joke in the M55 with CI. You're spotted sure, but that's a tier X down, and you can save your shot!

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Uranium 235 posted:

Niggerlover is more likely, since WGA doesn't seem to care if you have "friend of the family" in your username. Go ahead and search in-game to see how many usernames contain "friend of the family". IIRC there are names like "kill_all_niggers", "niggerkiller", "niggerfaget", "niggerchimp"

The WOT community is the best.

Is WGA in deep south or something? In Europe they may not care about cheating, but they seem to make sure that slurs are punished, even if war criminals can flourish.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Rincewinds posted:

Is WGA in deep south or something? In Europe they may not care about cheating, but they seem to make sure that slurs are punished, even if war criminals can flourish.

Well if you call the moderator of the in-game general chat a friend of the family then they'll chat ban you for a few days. :shrug:

edit: this isn't something I did, but I overheard someone mention it on TS. Apparently it was a dare.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

Well if you call the moderator of the in-game general chat a friend of the family then they'll chat ban you for a few days. :shrug:

edit: this isn't something I did, but I overheard someone mention it on TS. Apparently it was a dare.

In their heart of hearts that moderator probably wants to give the person gold instead of a chat ban but their hands are tied in that instance.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Rincewinds posted:

You do realize the most racist place in NA is the Northeast now?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Southern Dandy posted:

The southeast is still racist as all hell.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The Southern Dandy posted:

Our state is actively trying to deny blacks the right to vote (again), among other things. We're not all that far from lynchings.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

saintonan posted:

Our state is actively trying to deny blacks the right to vote (again), among other things. We're not all that far from lynchings.

Maryland?

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

The southeast is still racist as all hell.

It's not a dichotomy.

Sooo, back to tanks. 704 best land arty in the game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Azhais posted:

Maryland?

Not enough information to narrow it conclusively to just one state. :saddowns:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

One of my alt accounts go one of the first "SystemRename###" serial numbers (not sure which, but it's in the group of 001-011 I think) for having the name "AllahsLittleMarder". I got an email saying that it was inappropriate.

Actually there were several of us in Marder Time Fun Time. See here: http://na.wargaming.net/clans/1000004420/

edit: it's SystemRename009 :3:

quote:

Dear player,

We would like to hereby inform you, that your nickname "AllahsLittleMarder" has been deemed inappropriate, and must be changed. Your account has been suspended and will remain so until we can change your nickname. Please contact us at support.worldoftanks.com as soon as possible in order to resolve this matter. To login to the support site, use your registered forum email and password.

You can check whether or not the desired nickname is taken either of the following ways:

On the registration page: https://worldoftanks.com/registration/en/ (enter the nickname in the username field and press enter)
On the forum: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=members (you have to log in to use the service)

You may also be interested in the following information when choosing a name:

- The nickname rules: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/28780-nickname-change-service-status/
- Chapter 3 of the Game Rules “Names (Players and Clans), Avatars, Images, Signatures & Clan logos” http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum-29/announcement-74-world-of-tanks-game-rules/

Sincerely,

Your World of Tanks support team!

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 29, 2015

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Uranium 235 posted:

AllahsLittleMarder

:allears:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Uranium 235 posted:

I think you can get a total 5% boost to view range with the commander and radioman skill together. That's pretty good.

The loader gets safe stowage which is really nice. Safe stowage, BIA, repair, and camo give loaders skills that are reasonably useful on most tanks. That's less than most of the other crew members, but it's still not terrible. And at least the other skills have edge cases where they become useful, albeit rarely.

How much of a boost is safe stowage? I know some tanks seem prone to magazine hits so I guess it helps there.

The problem is safe stowage is probably the only loader specific ability that is even vaguely useful. It's like they are too scared to wreck balance by giving the loader skills that actually let him load better. Me, I'd have loader specific skills that boosted fire rate if your tank was tracked, on fire, just destroyed an enemy, didn't traverse the gun during loading, or fired more than X shots continuously. Instead of always giving the bonuses % boosts have some give flat increases which benefits fast firing guns over artillery. Maybe a mini BiA perk that works on vehicles with multiple loaders.

The concept of radio relays is neat but given that most tierX radios have like a 750m transmission range you're almost never going to be in a position where you are out of range of another radio. I wish there was a greater benefit to it. In addition to giving the radioman a default sixth sense it would be nice if the radioman got perks that help detect enemy radio signals to warn enemies were near, or prevented enemy sixth sense from activating beyond a certain range.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 29, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Just had a platoon of these shitstains camping and sniping from base in Cromwells on Sand River. After encouraging them to actually help the team, one of them called me a name. So I one shot him in my GW Tiger P. Then one of his platoonmates came charging over at me and shot me. So I killed him with a snapshot. The third shitlord came over and finished me off while I was reloading, and turned blue for his trouble :commissar:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Rorac posted:

Counterpoint: More engine power will just as easily get you into trouble. I elited the vehicle, and until the last 40-50k XP or so I didn't really 'get' the tank.

I wish there was a way to make a plot of WR as a function of hp/t ratio of tanks. I think for me that's the biggest determining factor for me because I will brawl even when I have no business doing so because :downs:.

Uranium 235 posted:

One of my alt accounts go one of the first "SystemRename###" serial numbers (not sure which, but it's in the group of 001-011 I think) for having the name "AllahsLittleMarder". I got an email saying that it was inappropriate.

As a Muslim Tanker, I am unoffended and approve.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Rincewinds posted:

I think WGNA HQ is in San Fransisco, of all places.

Content:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

The NA-W server is apparently in San Jose, so they are probably near that.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Win 900 gold in May by showing up and not being a bot:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/may-mission/

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

Mission is too hard when will WG learn that they need to put in missions that are accomplish-able for the casual tanker who plays for fun?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Uranium 235 posted:

Americans get free blow jobs as incentives, while in Europe we have 2 weeks of team battle specials and nothing else. I say it again, americans are a bunch of welfare queens.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Probably because NA is an underpopulated joke server which needs a constant injection of babby treats

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

maev posted:

Probably because NA is an underpopulated joke server which needs a constant injection of babby treats

How many players play on the EU server during EU Prime?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

How many players play on the EU server during EU Prime?

From three minutes ago (it's 9 PM here)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Enough to not need to be bribed with constant welfare checks to get casuals to log in apparently.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Armored Warfare has :10bux: founders packs up for those that care.

I might have jumped on that if they actually specified how early my access would be.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Axetrain posted:

I might have jumped on that if they actually specified how early my access would be.

From reading their poorly worded statement it sounds like the first "Early Access" test you will get into starts May 27th. You then get access to all these early access test and then whenever OBT starts (I don't actually see a date for the start of OBT anywhere) you get into that before none paying poors.

Gervasius posted:

From three minutes ago (it's 9 PM here)

That's only 120,000 more players than NA :crossarms:

Also, only 20K xp from the 50 100, going to be amazing.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 29, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Big skill/effort post incoming. Personal opinion, blah blah, Hellsau will probably call me wrong and stupid, but this is what I've found from playing.

Repairs and camouflage are huge(depending of course on tank class and base camo rating). You're dumb and need to start over at tier 1 if you don't use them.

Sixth sense is indeed the single most useful skill/perk in the game. All tanks should get it, this is not up for discussion.

BIA is an either/or thing. I wouldn't fault somebody for not using it, but I usually retrain into it from repairs/camo if I can afford the gold, after I get sixth sense and repairs/camo maxed out.

Firefighting isn't worth it until at least you're 5th skill, and even then only on the radioman/loaders

I haven't used most of the commander perks/skills. Recon, unless you're building a dedicated scout, isn't very useful IMO. Turns out you suffer no view range penalty for yellow optics; it's either half view with red or full view with yellow, which means recon will never meaingfully affect you with it's secondary effect. It also means never use a repair kit on your optics. Mentor is another either-or thing. I use it, but it's a 3rd or 4th skill, definitely.

Snapshot is really solid, it's a 7.5% aim bloom reduction on turret movement. Considering that the Vstab is considered the single most important equipment upgrade in the game and this works identically (and stacks with it), it's a good skill.

I've never used it, but I can think of a lot of situations where designated target would've gotten me a killing shot as well. Also, if you find your gun is damaged a lot, Armorer is way, way better than the numbers say. Rather than having 2x the bloom from a damaged gun, it's only 1.4x. The numbers say a 20% increase to accuracy when the gun is damaged, but it feels much better than that. Also, while deadeye might seem weak (+3% to crit modules with AP/HEAT), that's a FLAT 3%, not a relative. That means the actual chance to crit modules goes up by anywhere from about a relative 6% to 11%, depending on the module's saving throw vs damage.

The driver's skills are good as they work pretty much 100% of the time you're moving (aside from controlled impact and preventive maintenence) but really really depend on what you're using. Most people say that you shouldn't get off road driving, but I do personally notice a difference with it on; it is slight but it is there when you're on bad terrain(This is extremely tank specific! Do your research first!)

Radioman is useless outside of the view range upgrade, but it's preferable to have one to take the radio skills off the loader/commander, and hey: free view range is always nice, even if it's small. Anything that improves the radio range is useless unless you're seal clubbing.

Safe stowage is a really big perk. It's a 15% upgrade to ammo rack HP, but I've been in a lot of situations where I know the ammo rack would've gone up without that perk. If you have two loaders, getting one with save stowage and the other with adrenaline rush is good. How many times have you been in a situation in low HP where if you'd just loaded a fraction of a second sooner, you'd have shot first and killed a guy pointing at you? Intuition is neat, but way too unreliable. If they made it 50% per loader with it, then it would be useful, but 17% isn't really worth it IMO. Maybe for artillery or otherwise really long reload-time vehicles, but it's just too much to risk a reload.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Obviously you EU players need to migrate over to NA, the Lord's Chosen Server.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Obviously you EU players need to migrate over to NA, the Lord's Chosen Server.

NA-East. The Beast.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Rorac posted:

I haven't used most of the commander perks/skills. Recon, unless you're building a dedicated scout, isn't very useful IMO.

You get recon for the 2% extra view range not the other useless things. Add that to the radio mans 3% increase and you get a pretty nice boost.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Yeah I would never diminish the value of increased view range. View range is one of the things you want to get min/maxy about.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The gunner and driver skills are good and synergize well. Snap shot and smooth ride make you more effective on the move, armorer and preventative maintenance make you more survivable.

I would think the commander's Mentor ability would be good to take early on, since the XP bonus will apply that much longer.

Most of the benefit to many of these skills seems to simply free up module space. Repairs so you don't need a toolbox, safe stowage so you don't need wet ammo rack, etc. You could still take these things since they stack, but then you won't have room for equipment that might be more useful. Gun rammer, for example is so useful on so many tanks; it is difficult to get the equivalent benefit elsewhere. Combined with improved vents it makes a very noticible improvement to fire rate.

People swear by camo skill, but the benefit, even with a full camo crew is rather marginal to your camo rating. That, and since the ability is averaged over all crew members, you get much less variety on large crew tanks. Since sixth sense has a 3 second delay it is difficult to really see how much harder you are to spot with the ability.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

People swear by camo skill, but the benefit, even with a full camo crew is rather marginal to your camo rating. That, and since the ability is averaged over all crew members, you get much less variety on large crew tanks. Since sixth sense has a 3 second delay it is difficult to really see how much harder you are to spot with the ability.

Here is a very useful camo calculator that takes skills into account. Full camo skill nearly doubles your camo rating. Tanks with large crews are universally bricks that don't need camo.

http://www.wotinfo.net/en/camo-calculator

Sixth sense is good. At high tiers, you retreat after your first shot, and wait to see if sixth sense pops before returning to the same position. In some tanks, simply knowing that you get spotted somewhere lets you plan your moves. On heavies, you know when you need to dodge arty.

Commanders have better skills than Mentor. You will be speeding up first and second skills by a little bit, and basically doing nothing from there on.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

On recon: the reason I think it's not very useful is because BIA gives you a 2.4% increase, and also gives you a 2.4 increase literally everywhere else at the same time. Granted the other crew members have to get it as well for it to work, but I just don't see recon being good enough. If recon's boost were switched with the radioman's boost then it would be worthwhile, but I just don't see myself getting much out of recon, outside of dedicated scout vehicles. I did try it back when the crew skills were new, and when I retrained out of it, I didn't notice any change really.

If I put it on anything, it's a dedicated scout that wants every scrap of view range possible, or big vehicles with nonexistant camo, and it would replace camo as a 5th skill pick.

Also, at max level it improves crew XP gain by 10.5% (BIA explicitly affects it). Cutting 10% off of the grind for a 3rd or 4th skill is pretty significant IMO. If anything you have it backwards, it has little effect on the first one or two skills (which you wouldn't get recon as a 1st or second skill anyways) and increasing effects afterwards, since the XP and games needed to increase skills increases dramatically.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Uranium 235 posted:

3 wins a day? With the 8+ 38%ers I get per match in primetime? :negative: