Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

SuperSix posted:

Any Ottawa goons have thoughts on OAMA or other suggestions?

Being out of school l'm looking for a summer membership to a gym to continue BJJ and maybe start trying some striking, but I heard OAMA is pretty expensive and they generally prefer you to stay.

OAMA is good, I'd watch out for gyms that prefer you to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I asked my Dr. about this ( and got a subsequent xray form - some sort of curve in my lower back ) but was curious if anyone else has had squat-induced back issues from warm-ups in whatever you're training?

We were doing squats and then we were told after doing what felt like thousands of them ( seriously ), to partner up and do a squat in the other guys' closed guard and pick him up with you. Naturally I was paired with a +50lbs dude (closest in weight) and after a few of them something felt...wrong. Not excrutiating mind you just kind of sore, rolled just fine went to every class since. However it is weeks later now and it STILL hurts to bend over or in any sort of exagerrated squat position. It's not really my back per se I don't think, but it's like where your hamstrings connect to your butt or where your butt muscles connect to your back or something, I don't know. If it was a torn muscle or ligament or something surely it would've healed now wouldn't it? I'm careful when I'm in class - haven't done any stand-up and roll fairly light, generally I don't even think about it. Any other time though - standing after sitting in a chair or car, leaning over to brush my teeth, picking something up, all produce a dull pain not unlike pushing on a bruise. It's just so drat annoying and pain meds/muscle relaxants don't really seem to do much.

As I said, my Dr. said there was a slight "convex scoliosomething" curve in my lower back, but that it was "not that bad" and suggested I don't get the xray done unless it still is painful a week or 2 from now to avoid the rads. The thing is I ( and he ) don't know if there was something else going on with my back before the squat-mishap, or if the current positioning is due to pulled/torn/whatever muscles.

All I know is I want to keep going to class because unless we do squats I really don't even notice it. I don't want to NOT go though because I just came back after like a 1 month absence ( sick,life ) and subsequent 1 month of only once a week ( life ). Or am I going to roll myself into a wheelchair here? :smith:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 24, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Not a medical professional etc. :pseudo:

It might be someting serious, possibly related to your scoliosis. If you've really pulled something in there, it might take a long while for it to recover. Listen to your doctor and go have that x-ray if it persists.

However, if it doesn't hurt all the time, it's more likely something in there just knotted up when you had that scare and just doesn't know how to un-knot. In other words, you might just have a stiff back. Since you're posting on Something Awful, I'm going to take a wild guess you sit a lot and have tight hamstrings. Start stretching them daily, and maybe look up some lower back and side stretches as well. Long easy stretches, no jerking.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
So... Don't squat? They start doing squats you say "I pulled my back a while ago and it's still hosed so I'll sit this one out." Squats are conditioning, if they are putting your in worse condition then why would you do them?

No one here is a doctor from what I know. Work with your doctor and don't gently caress with your back.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Back issues are a bitch and resolving them is often a confusion of witchcraft, throwing bones and x-rays to determine the cause, and a combination of shamans, therapists, doctors, physiotherapy, spell casting and exercises to fix.

Best of luck with yours, TollTheHounds.

I have a few mystically "lowered disks" in my lower back. Nothing major according to doctors and therapists but... enough to give me a lumbago attack once in a while unless I plank and deadlift like a motherfucker, and regularly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Foam rolling rules

That's all

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Siivola posted:

Not a medical professional etc. :pseudo:

It might be someting serious, possibly related to your scoliosis. If you've really pulled something in there, it might take a long while for it to recover. Listen to your doctor and go have that x-ray if it persists.

However, if it doesn't hurt all the time, it's more likely something in there just knotted up when you had that scare and just doesn't know how to un-knot. In other words, you might just have a stiff back. Since you're posting on Something Awful, I'm going to take a wild guess you sit a lot and have tight hamstrings. Start stretching them daily, and maybe look up some lower back and side stretches as well. Long easy stretches, no jerking.

Well my Dr. didn't seem concerned at all and when I asked if I should keep training he said "listen to your body". I get it - if it hurts don't do it, what I'm more concerned about is if when rolling and stuff adrenaline or just distraction is making me not realize that I'm still hurting myself. I absolutely sit a ton, I'm in IT ( of course ) so I sit on my rear end for 8 hours of the day and then when I get home if I'm not running or rolling I'm sitting on my rear end playing video games ( of course ). My hamstrings are consistently super tight so I do stretches although probably not every day but I'll start now for sure.

General Emergency posted:

So... Don't squat? They start doing squats you say "I pulled my back a while ago and it's still hosed so I'll sit this one out." Squats are conditioning, if they are putting your in worse condition then why would you do them?

No one here is a doctor from what I know. Work with your doctor and don't gently caress with your back.

Yeah that's what I've been doing, or if I do squats I'll just do really really shallow ones to try and work my butt. I know no one here is a Dr. and this could just have easily been posted in TGD ( does it still exist?? ) or YLLS or something. I guess I was just seeing if someone else had ever had some sort of similar injury or non-medical-professional advice that helped them in a similar situation. My actual Dr. wasn't really very concerned but he didn't tell me anything that Siivola didn't just then which is comforting I suppose.

Ligur posted:

Back issues are a bitch and resolving them is often a confusion of witchcraft, throwing bones and x-rays to determine the cause, and a combination of shamans, therapists, doctors, physiotherapy, spell casting and exercises to fix.

Best of luck with yours, TollTheHounds.

I have a few mystically "lowered disks" in my lower back. Nothing major according to doctors and therapists but... enough to give me a lumbago attack once in a while unless I plank and deadlift like a motherfucker, and regularly.

Maybe I should start planking during my down time, good call!

I do have a foam roller that I use, usually after class or after a particularly sedentary day at work - I also have tight IT Bands probably also from sitting too much, which is why I got it in the first place.

Post your injuries ITT and how you overcame them and/or permanently crippled yourself by ignoring them. :colbert:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I actually developed a sore lower back after stooping over my keyboard for a couple of months straight and not exercising regularly. Early this month it finally spasmed badly enough to have me crawling on the floor. The doctor told me to gently work it out and eat painkillers regularly so the soreness wouldn't make me tense my back further put of shape. If it's just a stiff muscle, a painkiller before exercising will probably not leave you crippled for life. I hope.

Now I'm hitting the gym three times a week, and it's slowly easing up. Still sitting too much, though, so starting next month I'm also going to pick up the sword again.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I've actually noticed my hips feel better if I foam roll before bjj. I have really tight IT bands too. I should probably get a sports massage soon.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TollTheHounds posted:

Maybe I should start planking during my down time, good call!

Try it bro, and do it very regularly. Side planks too. It might take a while for these to start working so don't give up in a week or two. Also crawling around in push-up position while sucking your navel to your spine; basically anything that strengthens your deep core muscles. Even doing normal situps/crunches at 10% speed, as slowly as you can, helps.

My back was a mess in 2007 but after planking and doing other stuff like that for 6 months it fixed itself. (Then I got lazy and it went all back to hell again.) Today I use a mix of planks, slow sit-ups and compound lifts like deadlift, squats and barbell rows to keep my midsection in shape. As long as I hit the gym and plank 3+ times a week or so, I'm totally fine. Flexibility will be great, no pain anywhere etc. But if I sit on my rear end for a week or two (I work as a nerd, what a surprise, so otherwise I sit most of the day) I'm a mess who can hardly get his shoes on without help.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've been back at it for almost three months since I recovered from breaking my foot (which meant about 3 months of no martial arts) and I'm just feeling like I'm not getting back up to my old level.

I guess I cant put as much into it these days, stress from work and stuff. I'm pretty sure my gwanjangnim is seeing it because we just started Saturday classes again and it's just him and me. He wants me to go do the second special training thing this June. I did it last year and it was like a very Asian sort of grueling people screaming at you, tons of ridiculous physical punishment for making small mistakes, intense all day training thing. Back then I was just at a good enough level for it, but the second one is harder and I don't know if I'm physically fit enough for it now. I want to accomplish it but I just dont know. And then he's saying I can take the 2nd dan test in August. I want to accomplish all this stuff but I feel like I lost soooooo much in those three months of playing Nintendo in a cast.

I don't know, I don't even know if I have a question or I'm looking for advice, I just wanted to type this.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Motivation and intensity come and go. You've been off for a while too and it takes time to recondition. Just keep showing up and muddling through.

I've been at this a while and seen people have kids, get hurt, move come back blah blah blah. The guys and girls who just shrug and keep working find their way to the top.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

General Emergency posted:

Actually I am, but making internet diagnoses based on the bare minimum information and without the ability to examine someone is something I try to avoid. However like most back pain it is likely something that will get better on its own with a little time and not being stupid.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dysgenesis posted:

Actually I am, but making internet diagnoses based on the bare minimum information and without the ability to examine someone is something I try to avoid.

Lame dude, if I was a doctor I'd be diagnosing everyone up in this thread.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Sometimes I will, see the general YLLS thread. It's pretty hard when the info is usually no more than such and such hurts.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I, too, am a doctor.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Someone call for a doctor in this thread?

BJJ bros, why is Eddie bravo a polarizing figure. Even at my gym my no GI coach likes him a lot, while my BJJ coach gets annoyed when I do some of the electric chair stuff in free rolling.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Eddie Bravo is weird. From my (limited) perspective, I guess he's polarising because whilst he's come up with some cool new stuff, he likes to rename everything with wacky stoner lingo, I guess that rubs people up the wrong way. Although one of his guys who fought at the EBI came up with "Dead Orchard" for his two-arm in triangle armbar, which sounds loving cool. But stuff like 'The Zombie" and "Mission Control"? Sounds like Bubsy the Bobcat's been at the BJJ again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Doctor?

Doctor?

Doctor?

Doctor?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so I've been having pain in my fingers. Would tape help? I've seen people wear white tape round their fingers but I don't know really what it is not what it does but I do know that my fingers hurt.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tweaked elbow? Sounds like you've got aspergers. Sore knee? Aspergers. Headache? Sounds like aspergers too.

KildarX posted:

BJJ bros, why is Eddie bravo a polarizing figure. Even at my gym my no GI coach likes him a lot, while my BJJ coach gets annoyed when I do some of the electric chair stuff in free rolling.

Came third (fourth?) in a tournament ten years ago, got steamrolled in the quarter finals then quit competing, never competed at black belt, claims to have invented lots of stuff that predated him, wrote a lovely book where he mostly whines about how unjust it is that linkin park got famous while his own rap metal band never got famous, never shuts up about chemtrails and ufos and the illuminati, released an expensive dvd set where 75% of it is just footage of him getting high at parties and you have to struggle through it to find the instructional sections, doesn't seem to teach much jits except for the lovely gameplan he was using when leo viera or whoever it was pulverized him, spent half his life talking about how ultimate it is, how it's the future of grappling, has a goatee

He's probably nice irl and his metamoris rematch made me respect his grappling, but he's basically just annoying, that's why he polarizes people. I like his half guard game.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

so I've been having pain in my fingers. Would tape help? I've seen people wear white tape round their fingers but I don't know really what it is not what it does but I do know that my fingers hurt.

If somebody is taping up one finger it is probably because they ripped some skin, have a burn, or something like that. If somebody is taping two or three fingers together they probably jammed whichever one is in the middle and are using the other ones as a splint. You wouldn't gain anything just from taping up a finger because it hurts unless you're doing it to limit motion from an injured joint or something.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I tape my fingers and give myself a black eye by hitting myself with a shovel to look hardcore

Is that ok do u othar guyz do this`??

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Xguard86 posted:

Motivation and intensity come and go. You've been off for a while too and it takes time to recondition. Just keep showing up and muddling through.

I've been at this a while and seen people have kids, get hurt, move come back blah blah blah. The guys and girls who just shrug and keep working find their way to the top.

This was actually what I really needed to hear, thanks.

I was realizing, a part of it today is that a ton of my friends there are gone now. I like everyone there, but a lot of them are pretty young, 17 or 18. I'm 27, so it's ok I can relate to them but before I broke my foot for the most part I practiced with some guys in their early 20s. But, Korea has compulsory military and it just so happens that they all got called to do their military service while I was out with a broken foot.

Whatever, it's still cool. I think I'll feel better once I start training for the 2nd dan and feel like some unstoppable martial arts legend again.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
got in two sessions after being gone from bjj (AND ALSO ANY FORM OF PHYSICAL EXERCISE)for like 5 years. I forgot how much it can make your body hurt. im also like covered in gi burns because i have the skin of a weak person now

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 29, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Had one of those nights last night - I'm happy to get destroyed when rolling but was getting frustrated when trying to pull off some techniques and they weren't working ( because I wasn't doing them right ). Then when I tried to explain when I was trying to do it didn't really make any sense because my mind went blank so I felt like even more of an idiot. :smith:

The best times I've ever had rolling are when it's a good back and forth where you're both getting solid technique in and it could go either way but man, those situations are just SO rare.

Slaapaav posted:

got in two sessions after being gone from bjj (AND ALSO ANY FORM OF PHYSICAL EXERCISE)for like 5 years. I forgot how much it can make your body hurt. im also like covered in gi burns because i have the skin of a weak person now

If it's any consolation after 6 months my body still hurts & I still get gi burns - although mostly on my knees/elbows now for whatever reason instead of my fingers/feet like I used to in the beginning.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Girlfriend expressed interest in doing a kickboxing class or getting some boxing gloves for at home to beat up things, relieve stress and get exercise. I figured maybe I'd get her some gloves and some focus pads and we could start there. If that works out maybe I can get a heavy bag for the garage eventually. I went down to the sporting goods store, but god drat there were too many choices. I don't know what to buy. Keep in mind we are just doing this for fun and exercise. We aren't actually trying to train to fight here.

Should I get her actual boxing gloves or those UFC finger gloves? Do they really need to be "womans gloves"? How many ounces should they be? And the mits are hard to figure out as well. I just want regular "focus mitts" right?

I'm thinking we should probably watch some kind of instructional video before we start flailing around like retards with these things. She has no idea what shes doing yet, and I don't know much more than the difference between a jab and a cross.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just punch things. unless you are able to punch really hard and with lovely form at the same time you probably wont break your hands if you hit something softish like a bag

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Girlfriend expressed interest in doing a kickboxing class or getting some boxing gloves for at home to beat up things, relieve stress and get exercise. I figured maybe I'd get her some gloves and some focus pads and we could start there. If that works out maybe I can get a heavy bag for the garage eventually. I went down to the sporting goods store, but god drat there were too many choices. I don't know what to buy. Keep in mind we are just doing this for fun and exercise. We aren't actually trying to train to fight here.

Should I get her actual boxing gloves or those UFC finger gloves? Do they really need to be "womans gloves"? How many ounces should they be? And the mits are hard to figure out as well. I just want regular "focus mitts" right?

I'm thinking we should probably watch some kind of instructional video before we start flailing around like retards with these things. She has no idea what shes doing yet, and I don't know much more than the difference between a jab and a cross.

I wouldn't use MMA gloves for that kind of thing stick with boxing or bag gloves but I'd definitely recommend taking a few classes to learn some technique before going at it on your own it's amazing how bad punching technique can gently caress up your arms/wrists/hands.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How big is she? If she's tiny, get 12 or 14oz gloves. If she's, I dunno, 5'6" or taller, get 16oz gloves. The extra couple of oz can actually take quite an extra toll.
Like I said elsewhere, make sure you wrap wrists correctly. When you're starting out, you won't know how to hold your fist and align your wrist when landing a punch, so you're at the biggest risk of rolling your wrist, which can end your workout and might leave you unable to "train" for a few days.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i punched a wall as hard as i could and broke part of my wrist in february so dont take punching advice from me im dumb as gently caress

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

kimbo305 posted:

How big is she? If she's tiny, get 12 or 14oz gloves. If she's, I dunno, 5'6" or taller, get 16oz gloves. The extra couple of oz can actually take quite an extra toll.
Like I said elsewhere, make sure you wrap wrists correctly. When you're starting out, you won't know how to hold your fist and align your wrist when landing a punch, so you're at the biggest risk of rolling your wrist, which can end your workout and might leave you unable to "train" for a few days.

She's 5'7" so I think I'll get 16oz boxing gloves and some focus mitts to start out and if she likes it and gets into it maybe I'll get a heavy bag later on. Don't have a whole lot of free time to take classes at the moment. Is there a quick instructional video type thing she can watch? She just wants to get out there and start getting some exercise and hitting things as soon as possible.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is there a quick instructional video type thing she can watch?

This is the best martial arts introduction you'll find on Youtube, at least.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
16oz gloves for a girl who is gonna be hitting focus mitts? lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slaapaav posted:

just punch things. unless you are able to punch really hard and with lovely form at the same time you probably wont break your hands if you hit something softish like a bag

I'm new to the thread so I don't know if this guy is a troll but this is absolutely bad advice and you should never do that. There are other hand injuries possible than broken metacarpals.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

She's 5'7" so I think I'll get 16oz boxing gloves and some focus mitts to start out and if she likes it and gets into it maybe I'll get a heavy bag later on. Don't have a whole lot of free time to take classes at the moment. Is there a quick instructional video type thing she can watch? She just wants to get out there and start getting some exercise and hitting things as soon as possible.

12, 14, or 16 oz boxing or Muai Thai gloves are all good choices for training. Get something with a nice velcro wrist strap, leather, and decent stitching. The regular Everlast or Hayabusa stuff which you'll find in most sporting goods stores are all decent beginner choices, though a bit pricy. Amazon is a good place to look:

http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Muay-...s=boxing+gloves

http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Boxi...s=boxing+gloves

This one actually looks like a good deal, if you're in the states at least:
http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Shoc...s=boxing+gloves

What I did when I got into boxing was bought a $60 pair of 14 oz gloves from the internet. My theory was that if they were crap and I trained enough to break them, I'd buy good gloves. They lasted me 10 months before I started getting hand pain from hitting the bag with them on, and so I bought some nice Title ones after that.

The women's gloves are just a colour thing, and it's lame. Also get elastic wraps. Pink "lady" wraps are the poo poo because they're easy to find in a gym bag when all of your other gear is black/red/blue.

e: also use separate gloves for sparring and bag work. Punching bags are gross, and they wear gloves out relatively fast, removing their protective aspects. My friend recently got ringworm from sparring with someone who did that, even though it was light sparring.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 29, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Please get handwraps, too. 180", not 100". This is the standard wrap method, which is good for beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7PgWfY56w

I would advise against learning anything but straight punches on your own, so here's the jab-cross:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY0ZaFdbP4Q
Search for other videos.

As manyak said in the other thread, there is a lot that has to be taught interactively, when a coach can see your form and correct it. If you just want to mess around get a workout, that's perfectly fine, but know that what you're doing has very little to do with real striking.

manyak posted:

16oz gloves for a girl who is gonna be hitting focus mitts? lol

I'd rather not have her hurt her wrists (by far the most likely injury to happen here), so more padding and punching slower helps. Who knows, maybe she's a beast and is looking to supplement her rugby.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 29, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
honestly, if you can't train at a proper gym at all, the whole project is kind of a waste. I know its a buzzkill but the odds of getting hurt go up and flailing at a bag or mitts isn't (comparably) great exercise compared to doing other things. Are you sure there is no way to make it out to a proper gym? Even if you did 2x a week and then trained at home you'd be on the right track.

If you really just can't get training, get a jump rope and start doing body weight exercises on some kind of rotation.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
For a small workout/grappling area at home are the dollamur flexi-roll mats (http://www.dollamur.com/mma/flexi-mat-martial-arts.html) really that much better then normal puzzle mats? Or does any have suggestion for decent home mats?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

n3rdal3rt posted:

For a small workout/grappling area at home are the dollamur flexi-roll mats (http://www.dollamur.com/mma/flexi-mat-martial-arts.html) really that much better then normal puzzle mats? Or does any have suggestion for decent home mats?

My gym switched to these from puzzle mats -- they're definitely cushier. I prefered the puzzle mats because they covered the floor where all the heavy bags are, but even these are not so cushy that I have problems standing and striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
puzzle mats are scary as gently caress. so many wrecked toes at the old place i used to train bjj

• Locked thread