Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ghost Cactus posted:

I have 5 year old A Stars SMX 5 boots and the Velcro is shot so they don't stay closed when I tuck my pants into them. What road boots should I get that come in small foot sizes but big calf sizes? (I've got cycling calves.) I was looking at SMX Plus boots, but I don't race or anything so they might be overkill.

Also, I've had a Shoei RF 1000 for five years and it's finally starting to be a bit jiggly on my head, even with replacement cheekpads. Their helmets fit me great, generally. Anyone have any experience with the fit of the RF 1200 compared to the older models? I know you can't divine my head shape, I'd just like general opinions if anyone has them.

If the boots are in otherwise good condition a place that does leather repairs should be able to replace the velcro pretty easily and cheaply.

If you just want new boots I can confirm Sidi are good quality and very crash-proof - the only niggle is they do squeak a lot when you're walking in them, bend them right forward and rub a candle on the edges of the plates to stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Viktor posted:

What's opinions on Kevlar jeans? Any recommended brands?

Not jeans, but I got a pair of these when they were like 75% off a while back.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/29947/i/agv-sport-excursion-kevlar-cargo-pants

They are comfortable but probably won't offer much more protection over regular pants. Kevlar jeans will most likely rip at highway speeds too.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Chiming in on the Sena 10, I bought the two-pack for me and the husband, and it's been frickin' awesome for the last year. The battery life is surprisingly good (I have the 10MHR). We did a test when we first got them where we didn't charge them, and for short trips every day, they lasted over a week. They sound amazing, too. I've taken phone calls on it where people have no idea I'm not sitting at home. I can't recommend them enough.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Viktor posted:

What's opinions on Kevlar jeans? Any recommended brands?

I've had and crashed in a pair of Sliders, they're pretty awesome. The Kevlar skinned my knee a little on the inside, but the pants survived like super intact, you can't even tell they went knee down.

Also they're stupid cheap compared to Dragon Jeans and such.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I have Dainese Bonneville regular jeans and while I can't attest to how they will hold up in a crash they at least look and fit mostly like normal jeans.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

alnilam posted:

I can get several pizzas onto my bike with just an elastic cargo net :shrug:

Anyone else done the 30 rack of beer inbetween your legs

The struggle is real

Also SIDI boots rule. I got a pair of the Air STs and they're amazing. As the name indicates the constant breeze on my feet is nice on a warm day. Paid $240 for hardly used ones on Craigslist (390 or thereabouts new, yikes!)

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 28, 2015

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If the boots are in otherwise good condition a place that does leather repairs should be able to replace the velcro pretty easily and cheaply.

If you just want new boots I can confirm Sidi are good quality and very crash-proof - the only niggle is they do squeak a lot when you're walking in them, bend them right forward and rub a candle on the edges of the plates to stop that.

Thanks for this - I didn't know it would be a simple fix at a shop. I might get the old boots repaired and get a new pair? It's probably good to have backups. I'm torn between Sidi Fusions or Vertigos - the male/female models are too big for me so it looks like I'll need ones made for women. I don't do track days or anything so the Fusions probably make more sense but the Vertigos are so pretty...

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The struggle is real

I did an ice cream cake on my lap once :yum:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The struggle is real

You're hardcore. I just went out, ripped a case of beer in half and stuffed it into opposing soft saddlebags. There's no question in my mind looked like Drunk Grandpa on a CB750 rolling home that day.

Also, anyone have experience with Dianese mesh jackets? I know mesh is kind of frowned upon because of it's (lack of) protective qualities, but I'm a doughy whiteboy from the North living in the Southeastern US and I'm probably going to die sitting on an air-cooled twin as the jackass in front of me can't remember which color on the hanging yellow box means "go".

Specifically, I'm looking at the Dianese Air-Frame:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket

Any other good suggestions? It'd probably be my workhorse jacket, and since I just purchased a weird bike with a trellis frame and a hosed up clacking noise coming from the clutch I should probably look like I give a poo poo.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

Ripoff posted:

Also, anyone have experience with Dianese mesh jackets? I know mesh is kind of frowned upon because of it's (lack of) protective qualities, but I'm a doughy whiteboy from the North living in the Southeastern US and I'm probably going to die sitting on an air-cooled twin as the jackass in front of me can't remember which color on the hanging yellow box means "go".

Any other good suggestions? It'd probably be my workhorse jacket, and since I just purchased a weird bike with a trellis frame and a hosed up clacking noise coming from the clutch I should probably look like I give a poo poo.

I have that exact jacket- I haven't been down in it so I can't talk to its crash value, but it's armored and solid cordura where it needs to be and the airflow is great everywhere else. I don't use this as my only jacket because it's useless at keeping a chill out if it gets below 70, but for warm weather it's great.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Ripoff posted:

You're hardcore. I just went out, ripped a case of beer in half and stuffed it into opposing soft saddlebags. There's no question in my mind looked like Drunk Grandpa on a CB750 rolling home that day.

Got the girlfriend the air-flux which has even more mesh for when we're just crusing around town and it's hot in socal, seems great for that but no closable vents means its hot weather only. Paired it with a fieldsheer back protector and it seems really solid on the impact front with that, sliding probably not much.

If you only get one jacket you may want to go with something less mesh and more closable venting, if you find something with a whole lot of vents let me know because I've been looking for an in-between all mesh and what I have now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Or just pack thermal / windbreaking mid layers

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ripoff posted:

I wear the same air frame that I wore 1 year ago.

Does this answer your question?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

kuffs posted:

Or just pack thermal / windbreaking mid layers
:effort: Maybe it's just me but I would much rather prefer to be able to just zip a few vents closed then pull over, grab the liners out of whatever bags, take off jacket, zip in, and reverse the steps.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Does anyone have know of motorcycle jeans with slim, or easily removable knee armor? I was looking at the aerostitch jeans because of the way the knee armor comes out, but Aerostitch says it's tailored like 501s and 501s never fit my african rear end properly.

edit: Those aerostitch jeans have a hidden side zipper at the knees so the armor can be removed when off the bike. It's a nice looking set up.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 28, 2015

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
My Dainese jeans use these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-proshape-knee-armor
Which seem dubious in terms of their effectiveness, but they are CE rated so well see I suppose. They're maybe like 7MM thick or something like that?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Ghost Cactus posted:

Thanks for this - I didn't know it would be a simple fix at a shop. I might get the old boots repaired and get a new pair? It's probably good to have backups. I'm torn between Sidi Fusions or Vertigos - the male/female models are too big for me so it looks like I'll need ones made for women. I don't do track days or anything so the Fusions probably make more sense but the Vertigos are so pretty...

I have the Fusions and aside from the toe box being a little pinchy because of the slider they're a good boot and fit my massive calves well and I ride with my pants tucked into my boot.

E: for reference I wear a US14D shoe/boot and EU49 dress shoes, and the Sidi Fusion EU49s are what I own.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 28, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MoraleHazard posted:

Does anyone have know of motorcycle jeans with slim, or easily removable knee armor? I was looking at the aerostitch jeans because of the way the knee armor comes out, but Aerostitch says it's tailored like 501s and 501s never fit my african rear end properly.

edit: Those aerostitch jeans have a hidden side zipper at the knees so the armor can be removed when off the bike. It's a nice looking set up.

I just got a pair of RHOK gen3s and they have easily removed knee armor. It's not lovely quality armor either, it looks and feels about as good as the CE stuff in my dainese textiles.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Digital_Jesus posted:

I have the Fusions and aside from the toe box being a little pinchy because of the slider they're a good boot and fit my massive calves well and I ride with my pants tucked into my boot.

E: for reference I wear a US14D shoe/boot and EU49 dress shoes, and the Sidi Fusion EU49s are what I own.

Then Fusions it is - thanks. I'll save the space boots for when I get to a track day someday.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Tried on this amazing revit airstream leather jacket at my local ~Ducati~ dealer: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airstream-leather-jacket

I was about to buy it and the guy rings it up with a back
protector and it was over seven hundred dollars :shepspends: :sbahj:

I was crushed since it was insanely comfortable.

Whats a good leather jacket thats not going to cost more than a goddamn race suit?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Voltage posted:

Tried on this amazing revit airstream leather jacket at my local ~Ducati~ dealer: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-airstream-leather-jacket

I was about to buy it and the guy rings it up with a back
protector and it was over seven hundred dollars :shepspends: :sbahj:

I was crushed since it was insanely comfortable.

Whats a good leather jacket thats not going to cost more than a goddamn race suit?

Last year's dainese jackets

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

$700 for a good leather jacket isn't bad. Mine was $800. Pants are like $500. A one-piece race suit is like $1500-$3000 so lol if you think the jacket is bad.

Leather ain't cheap but it's worth it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Last year's dainese jackets

Best answer here.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Digital_Jesus posted:

$700 for a good leather jacket isn't bad. Mine was $800. Pants are like $500. A one-piece race suit is like $1500-$3000 so lol if you think the jacket is bad.

Leather ain't cheap but it's worth it.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/suits/leather_racing_suits/joe_rocket/speedmaster_60_one_piece_leather_motorcycle_race_suit.html

$629 for a race suit.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Joe Rocket has always struck me as the Walmart brand of bike gear.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Wirth1000 posted:

It kinda is. I have owned a jacket from them for years but it's kind of hard to justify throwing it away when it still works.

I need to get a real jacket but it's hard to blow $275 when you have a textile/mesh one that is ugly as hell but does the job.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Wirth1000 posted:

I've gotten wrecked in two Joe Rocket Alter Ego jackets (One version2 and one version3) and both made it through with minor visible damage. I'll continue to buy them, for me they fit well, hold up, have the proper padding in decent places and the bonus of the AlterEgo jackets being raincover/mesh works great for me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My gf uses an old (80s?) Joe Rocket jacket from craigslist, it's really awesome. Maybe they used to make things better than they do now?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Great job on linking the shittiest loving possible 1-piece you could. Joe Rocket is really hit or miss and their quality control is junk. Actual race suits are not $600.

Joe Rockets poo poo Suit posted:

1.2 to 1.4mm perforated drum dyed top grain cowhide

and thats why it's $600

E: for clarity. Theres nothing wrong with buying a cheap suit but don't kid yourself into thinking the quality of a $600 off-the-rack suit is going to hold up to a proper tailored full grain race suit.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 29, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
For those buying new helmets, don't forget to check here: [urlhttp://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home[/url] for safety ratings. I'm pretty sure it's been posted before, but....

Razzled posted:

I just got a pair of RHOK gen3s and they have easily removed knee armor. It's not lovely quality armor either, it looks and feels about as good as the CE stuff in my dainese textiles.

They look pretty nice. Got to see if there's a US distributor.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Considering no one in here is racing in MotoGP, inexpensive but adequate gear is more than acceptable. Not everything needs to cost several thousands of dollars in order to work.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nobody said it does? The whole point was someone being shocked that a decent full grain leather jacket was $700. Thats perfectly normal.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
o ok. Nice poo poo costs money, yes.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I might just end up getting the jacket, It just fit so drat well and the quality was pretty outstanding, I can imagine it will last many years if I take care of it.
I tried on a few Dianese jackets and they just didn't fit as well, and despite not being a :btroll: I have a really fat neck and they all pretty much choked me in the proper body size.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Voltage posted:

I have a really fat neck and they all pretty much choked me in the proper body size.

Speaking of necks, did anyone else notice their neck getting thicker after they started riding regularly?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Voltage posted:

I might just end up getting the jacket, It just fit so drat well and the quality was pretty outstanding, I can imagine it will last many years if I take care of it.

*leaves store, immediately crashes into the back of a truck full of sandpaper and broken glass*

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Then it'll be a good thing he didn't buy a poo poo jacket :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Speaking of necks, did anyone else notice their neck getting thicker after they started riding regularly?

Nope. But my lower back and leg muscles are pretty ripped compared to how they used to be.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finally converted to mesh gear and got a Rev'it Levante and Tornado pants. It's like riding in a tshirt and shorts but without the skin graphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I ordered a medium and a large Olympia Odyssey suit online and after trying them both on I'm really not sure of the fit. The medium is definitely not working because the legs are comically short, to where I almost can't get my feet up on to the pegs of my bike. The large legs are fine (maybe still shorter than I'd like in heavy rain, but perfectly serviceable), but the torso feels slightly too long and I'm worried that the shoulder armor isn't snug against my shoulders. If I wear a sweater or light down jacket under the large, the shoulders feel good and snug but I can't do that for most of the year. The ventilation (went for a ride with vents open, even at 20mph I could feel a lot), price, abrasion resistance, and armor all seem quite good and I really didn't see anything else out there with the same features and price point so I want to make it work if I can. Has anyone tried something like extra shoulder padding or sewing darts into the chest of a suit? Maybe it's not a big deal for the shoulder armor to not be snug, and I'm just wrong? Please advise.

e: this is the thing I'm talking about if it matters http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-odyssey-one-piece-suit

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 30, 2015