Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

My brother mentioned the book "The Martian" by Andy Weir the other day and said I should read it. Tossed it on the kindle last minute today before heading out the door. Holy poo poo what a book. Highly recommend it to anyone that likes anything science fiction or space related.

It's so drat gripping, I honestly couldn't get myself to put it down once I started, so I read it over a weekend. Recommended it to my mom who had basically the same reaction. What I particularly love isn't that it really isn't that far-fetched, almost everything described in the book is quite doable with contemporary science and technology, if we put our minds and money to a manned mission to Mars.

I've gotten into the habit of recommended to everyone I know who likes to read and isn't repulsed by a little bit of science talk. But everythings described in such an easily-accessible way, so really anyone could read it and thoroughly enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Felt seriously ill on the way back from lunch. Blew chunks all over the job site. Went home. Pulled over twice on the highway and also barfed as soon I got home. What the gently caress!?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Holy gently caress I took too many drug last night. Coffee by the gallon trying to stay away. Still feel a little hosed up. Gonna be a long day.

:ms:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's so drat gripping, I honestly couldn't get myself to put it down once I started, so I read it over a weekend. Recommended it to my mom who had basically the same reaction. What I particularly love isn't that it really isn't that far-fetched, almost everything described in the book is quite doable with contemporary science and technology, if we put our minds and money to a manned mission to Mars.

What a great book. I had exactly the same reaction/reading pattern.

And supposedly there is a movie in the works.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KozmoNaut posted:

Motronic posted:

What a great book. I had exactly the same reaction/reading pattern.

And supposedly there is a movie in the works.

I needed to sleep on the flights up, instead I read the book. I planned on taking a nap when I got to my parents house, instead I'm reading this book. Pretty sure I'm not going to sleep tonight until I finish it.

I think it could make an amazing movie. So far I can't think of anything they would need to change to adapt it to a movie. Please don't gently caress it up hollywood.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I've gotten into the habit of recommended to everyone I know who likes to read and isn't repulsed by a little bit of science talk. But everythings described in such an easily-accessible way, so really anyone could read it and thoroughly enjoy it.

Gotta love me some science talk :pcgaming:

I've been watching Feynman's lectures on Youtube, I absolutely love the way he explains things.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I loving dropped a screw getting the battery out of my bike to charge it and now I can't find it. I heard it plink and hit something metal, but I can't see it anywhere, it's not on the ground and I shook the bike around and it's not rattling anywhere or fallen out of anything.

:wtc:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BraveUlysses posted:

You do realize he has an account here right?

Why would I know that?

Also, a reminder: for the DFW and nearby goons, the annual Pate Swap Meet starts tomorrow (Thursday). Biggest swap meet in the area. I'm taking $$, no telling what you find out there m

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 29, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Can someone explain to me why having no grip whatsoever is considered super ultra realism in racing games? Like, I get that it's raining and i'm racing on gravel, but holy poo poo, real cars do not slide like they're on ice on a gravel road, especially when running proper offroad tires. I'd expect my drat Impreza to at least be able to corner slightly better than a cargo truck on bald tires, but maybe that's just me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, new ice maker cutting grid showed up. Wound up being from a guy who repairs appliances, it's been freshly rewired.

Except the plug was corroded to poo poo, I was wondering why it wasn't getting warm until I unplugged it and looked at the plug. Nothing I couldn't fix.

Talked to my postal carrier today, he remembers delivering the headphones on Monday, and he's positive he didn't deliver them elsewhere. (then handed me a bundle of mail with someone else's mail mixed in...) So I'm pretty sure Meh won't do anything, I might have to do a chargeback.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Can someone explain to me why having no grip whatsoever is considered super ultra realism in racing games? Like, I get that it's raining and i'm racing on gravel, but holy poo poo, real cars do not slide like they're on ice on a gravel road, especially when running proper offroad tires. I'd expect my drat Impreza to at least be able to corner slightly better than a cargo truck on bald tires, but maybe that's just me.

Part of it (for me) is my speed perception is a little low vs. A real car, but a lot of sims are bad that way even at reasonable speeds. Exaggerated understeer leading straight into snap oversteer no matter what you do. It's sad when GTA feels closer to real racing than some of the big name sims.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

he remembers delivering the headphones on Monday

Really? Dude delivers a lot of mail in a day.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Tommychu posted:

Part of it (for me) is my speed perception is a little low vs. A real car, but a lot of sims are bad that way even at reasonable speeds. Exaggerated understeer leading straight into snap oversteer no matter what you do. It's sad when GTA feels closer to real racing than some of the big name sims.

No kidding. I've been dinking around in DiRT Rally now that they got the co-driver bug fixed and the gravel courses feel completely unmanageable. I mean, I know I don't drive a rally car in real life, but I can safely thrash my rear wheel drive Vic down gravel roads on typical all seasons and it's still way more manageable than these race prepped cars designed for this sort of thing feel in this game. I don't get this "No grip = REALISM" thing devs seem to love.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure STR in the front yard coated head to toe in blue axle grease stands out in anyone's mind

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I'm sure STR in the front yard coated head to toe in blue axle grease stands out in anyone's mind

Can't deny that. Speaking of axle grease I spaced out and put Vegemite on my toast. I don't mind it but it wasn't what I intended. It must be a bitch of a job going around to all the wreckers and scraping old bearing grease into jars.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

MustardFacial posted:

I loving dropped a screw getting the battery out of my bike to charge it and now I can't find it. I heard it plink and hit something metal, but I can't see it anywhere, it's not on the ground and I shook the bike around and it's not rattling anywhere or fallen out of anything.

:wtc:

Roll the bike back and forth a bit and you have a good chance of finding it when it punctures your tyre.

Or take your shoes off, get a drink in one hand and a precariously balanced pile of (preferably breakable) precious things in the other hand and walk past in a rush and you will find it with the base of your foot..

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Or maybe you have a cat that you could trip over while looking?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fo3 posted:

Is that a slide phone? How is it still working? I went through a fair few nokia and samsung sliders years ago and they all broke pretty quickly.
Before I switched to android, the last nokia I had was a c7 which still works as it wasn't a slider.

How is it still working? It's a Nokia...! Non-joke answer is it doesn't really get used much because I much like yourself, don't like talking too much. It's battered and beaten and like I said has been dropped soooooooooo many times but it seems ridiculously solid and well built.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tomarse posted:

Roll the bike back and forth a bit and you have a good chance of finding it when it punctures your tyre.

Or take your shoes off, get a drink in one hand and a precariously balanced pile of (preferably breakable) precious things in the other hand and walk past in a rush and you will find it with the base of your foot..

Nah. Ever dropped a plectrum into a guitar? Same principal. Just hold the bike upside down over your head and shake it vigorously. Someone needs to be there to record the attempt though.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
There is a 91 New Yorker in my bay right now with the rear springs rusted through their supports in the axle. They are currently pricing it up. :suicide:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tomarse posted:

You sir are a genius. I rolled the bike back and forth, then pulled it up on the back wheel and brought it down. It was underneath the back tire.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

There is a 91 New Yorker in my bay right now with the rear springs rusted through their supports in the axle. They are currently pricing it up. :suicide:

I feel your pain. We had a customer with a same year new Yorker that was complaining of an axle shaft leak. he just wanted a new CV axle. Cue to him calling back a few weeks later because he hears a bearing noise......
Today I got to do the water pump on a 04 745 LI wasn't actually that hard.... I was shocked. Before that I did the exhaust gasket on a 03 grand marquis. And who ever though that having the A/C lines route that close to the manifold can get hosed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://store.steampowered.com/app/320300/

Welp.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Where's the Finnish alcoholic guy?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So today was day one of my road trip to Miller Motorsports Park.

Taking the scenic route via 89/89a. Drove all day like a responsible adult using the cruise control to stay at+4 or 5 of the limit. For the first time in my life, stopping at all the little roadside views and monuments, taking pictures. Stopped at a viewpoint on the strip north of the Grand Canyon where you can walk up and see way into Utah before starting down the 6% grade and chilled for a bit, then headed down the hill hoping for some nice twisties. I discovered that the road is way too mellow to have fun on without going really fast so I stuck it in 3rd and just coasted.

At this point, probably 30 miles from the nearest habitation, coasting nice and gentle down the hill, a highway patrolman comes around the corner going the opposite direction and lights me up. The only spot in my entire day long drive that I'm speeding.

56 in a 40. gently caress.

All day before this, and for the rest of the drive to my hotel, I'm getting passed by dozens of people going way the hell over the limit, but that was the only cop I saw for the entire drive.

This is why I never play games of chance for anything of value.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

The Locator posted:

Taking the scenic route via 89/89a. Drove all day like a responsible adult using the cruise control to stay at+4 or 5 of the limit. For the first time in my life, stopping at all the little roadside views and monuments, taking pictures. Stopped at a viewpoint on the strip north of the Grand Canyon where you can walk up and see way into Utah before starting down the 6% grade and chilled for a bit, then headed down the hill hoping for some nice twisties. I discovered that the road is way too mellow to have fun on without going really fast so I stuck it in 3rd and just coasted.

At this point, probably 30 miles from the nearest habitation, coasting nice and gentle down the hill, a highway patrolman comes around the corner going the opposite direction and lights me up. The only spot in my entire day long drive that I'm speeding.

56 in a 40. gently caress.

All day before this, and for the rest of the drive to my hotel, I'm getting passed by dozens of people going way the hell over the limit, but that was the only cop I saw for the entire drive.

Nice story.
Not sure I believe you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I needed to sleep on the flights up, instead I read the book. I planned on taking a nap when I got to my parents house, instead I'm reading this book. Pretty sure I'm not going to sleep tonight until I finish it.

I think it could make an amazing movie. So far I can't think of anything they would need to change to adapt it to a movie. Please don't gently caress it up hollywood.

Matt Damon...what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Astonishing Wang posted:

My mail carriers know well enough to bring things to the shop rather than the house when a garage door is open. (not just USPS but FedEX and UPS as well) They remember stuff on their route.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ilkhan posted:

Nice story.
Not sure I believe you.

vOv

Doesn't really matter if you do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That is what he gets for what he did to Cooper and Romilly in Interstellar :colbert:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
It's been a poo poo of a week but at least I got some lols today.

225/75 R15 on a Suzuki 5.5" rim

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Around the corner from where I work is a warehouse sale place. They sell damaged/returned/defective items from various retailers like Home Depot, Kmart, Sears, etc. They are open from Wednesday to Saturday and on Wednesday everything is $20, Thursday $10, Friday $5, and Saturday $2. Every week they get a new truckload of crap in and put it all out on tables for the unwashed masses to paw through.

99.9% of the poo poo for sale is exactly that; poo poo. Broken, missing pieces, or just plain worthless junk. Every so often, though, you find something worthwhile. Today, I found a small case that said "Bose" on it and I opened it, thinking it was going to be headphones or something. What was actually inside was a Mobius ActionCam, 32gb micro SD card, and a dashboard mount. Amazon sells the card and camera as a bundle for like $110. I just tried it out after hooking it up to my computer and updating the firmware, and it works perfectly. It's got a couple of dings on it, but otherwise it's in perfect condition. No clue why it was there. Pretty happy about my find right now.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

That is what he gets for what he did to Cooper and Romilly in Interstellar :colbert:

I just watched this and thought your comment was hilarious! I haven't read the Martian but I know a little bit about it because the wife read it and keeps recommending it to me.

I'll probably read it once I'm back on second shift.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kate Mara and Jessica Chastain are both wicked fly ginger honeys so that movie can't be too bad imo

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Locator posted:

Dude! Welcome to Utah. MMP is incredible and the Shelby museum makes you realize that you haven't amounted to much in life. I also never play games of chance. If I do I become that guy with instant regret.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Astonishing Wang posted:

Turns out my neighbors across the street found it on their porch. They just looked at the name and knew it was wrong, and were going to take it back to the post office.. then looked at the address and realized it was for us.

The mailman had written "2233" on the box. I'm in 2232. The shipping label also said 2232, and he knows me by name since I order so much poo poo from Amazon. :downs:

Mailman also swore up and down he'd left it in the mailbox. 7x7x4 box, no way in hell it would have fit.

I feel bad for the guy. He's a hell of a nice guy, and apparently my complaint about not receiving the package got him one hell of an rear end chewing, but... I didn't get my package, and he had indeed delivered it to the wrong house. Except he usually mixes up 2332 and 2232, not 2232 and 2233. The lady at 2332 is batshit crazy and I want as little to do with her as possible, though I feel for her as well (dementia). The mailman calls her "loving crazy lady".

Motronic posted:

My mail carriers know well enough to bring things to the shop rather than the house when a garage door is open. (not just USPS but FedEX and UPS as well) They remember stuff on their route.

Yeah, mine knows most of the people on our street by name, knows what car I drive, and knows I order a ton of poo poo from Amazon. Just like I remember regulars when I'm working, you get to know what they always order, and know if they prefer that you go to the garage, yard, etc, even though I deal with thousands of people a week (between carry out customers, deliveries, people I interact with on my own, etc).

I do think I'm going to go ahead and get a mailbox at The UPS Store or something like that specifically for shipments if it's affordable enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:(

The Golf is broken. Dad went to move it back to his house so I could come over and get it and it has no power. He said he could barely get it up to 20mph.

I loving knew if I posted about it I'd jinx myself.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was going to say spark plugs? but then I realized I'm a big dummy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

89 coming out of Jerome almost did this to me once. Got stuck in a loooong line behind a jackass who wouldn't pull over for anyone and was going 10-20 under the limit. As soon as the road opened up probably 10 cars passed him, including me.

A mile later, one of the folks who had passed him ahead of us was on the side of the road with a cop.

Handyman-type question: What do you guys like for lubricating door locks on houses? I keep using dry graphite and it seems to last a shorter and shorter amount of time every time I do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

I was going to say spark plugs? but then I realized I'm a big dummy

He didn't have time to mess with it. He was just returning my call from earlier (it was his birthday) and he said he limped it back to where it was stored. He's gonna have his mechanic take a look at it this week. Free cars are never free I guess!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Handyman-type question: What do you guys like for lubricating door locks on houses? I keep using dry graphite and it seems to last a shorter and shorter amount of time every time I do.

Hit the lock with some compressed air to loosen up/hopefully blow out anything in it first? I usually have to use graphite only once every few years on all of the locks here. I also always work the lock a bit afterwards (insert/remove key multiple times, turn it etc).

I need to hit the exterior locks on the Ion with graphite actually - all of them are rough as poo poo, probably from lack of use (factory keyless entry, so they've probably been touched a half dozen times in the car's life).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

I got angry at him in the theater and without even thinking yelled out "gently caress you" when he blows up the airlock and dies and of course it's at that moment the music stops and the movie is silent. Awkward. Everyone was with me though. :P

edit: I'm glad I got to see it at the only 70mm IMAX in the state.

• Locked thread