Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geomancing posted:

Yeah I'll accept his logic the next time I open a door and fix a sandwich solely with my rear end.

That would be a helluva skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

There was an NPR segment a few weeks back where a guy was trying to convince everyone to stop with toilet paper and start using baby wipes. The logic he used is "if you're out in the garden and get mud all over your hands you'll go use soap and water. Yet when it comes to poop dry paper is what we use? That's madness."

Does he not wash his hands after using the toilet paper?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have no idea. I didn't know people other than my literal psychotic ex believed toilet paper was disgusting yet he was trying to talk everyone into using flushable wipes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elfface posted:

We're not offended by it, we know they don't mean it in a rapey way. We're saying it calls that to mind, which makes people think of it when deciding whether or not to buy your product. Which is a dumb move.

It's like... If your car advert focuses too much on safety, it reminds people of car accidents. Sure, you're saying that your car is safer, but people are still thinking about danger at the time, which puts them off.

And yeah, I did think light beer was lower alcohol percentage.

You're wasting your breath on GoGoGadgetChris. I already made exactly that argument and his response was just "lol its not a rape joke omg you guys" over and over. He doesn't get it and he won't. Probably been on the internet waaaay too goddamned long.

Len posted:

There was an NPR segment a few weeks back where a guy was trying to convince everyone to stop with toilet paper and start using baby wipes. The logic he used is "if you're out in the garden and get mud all over your hands you'll go use soap and water. Yet when it comes to poop dry paper is what we use? That's madness."

Three Seashells.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I said I thought it was a stretch and you called me a moron, so I don't know where you're conjuring up this "I TRIED to be cool, calm, serene and collected, but fuckin' GoGoGadgetChris comes in here, foaming at the mouth..." imagery from.

And to top it off you made me crave a Guinness on a warm day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

so I don't know where you're conjuring up this "I TRIED to be cool, calm, serene and collected, but fuckin' GoGoGadgetChris comes in here, foaming at the mouth..." imagery from.

I literally never said a single one of those words. :rolleyes: "Foaming at the mouth", are you serious?
You don't have to be angry to be stupid, dude.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I don't get the confusion. Nobody was saying anybody was condoning or encouraging rape, only that the slogan sounded rapey and brought bad ideas to mind, which makes it a dumb move in marketing. If it had actually been condoning rape, it would've been a suicidal move in marketing.

e: Like if my company's logo was a space shuttle or a fireworks explosion and I changed my slogan to "we'll defeat any challenger!" obviously I'm not taking credit or celebrating the Challenger explosion but if that's what it makes people think about, I'd have made a dumb move.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Guys, guys, guys, can't you see? We're ALL stupid idiots!

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Choco1980 posted:

Guys, guys, guys, can't you see? We're ALL stupid idiots!

Of course we are. We are goons.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

pussy riot police posted:

Of course we are. We are goons.

And not just goons. PYF goons. The gooniest goons since the goonies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is this where all the GBS goons fled when it had its... conversion?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is this where all the GBS goons fled when it had its... conversion?

Yes :smith:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"dang that's a skeez sounding slogan, they didn't think that one through"

*like four dudes climb out of the bushes*

"ITS NOT LIKE BUDWEISER IS GOING OUT AND RAPING CHICKS"

"what"

"GOD YOU SJWS ARE SO SENSITIVE"

"get the gently caress out of my backyard"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Alouicious posted:

"dang that's a skeez sounding slogan, they didn't think that one through"

*like four dudes climb out of the bushes*

"ITS NOT LIKE BUDWEISER IS GOING OUT AND RAPING CHICKS"

"what"

"GOD YOU SJWS ARE SO SENSITIVE"

"get the gently caress out of my backyard"

This guy is always here to break it down for me after I miss a several-page long argument. You're doing God's work.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
am I the one that types in all caps

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

am I the one that types in all caps

that was a simple writing technique to distinguish different speakers

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
https://blog.vandalog.com/2015/04/how-many-street-artists-can-hyundai-rip-off-in-30-seconds/

Hyundai stole a bunch of street art from actually notable people instead of unknowns or buying art for pennies from desperate out of work art students. While the average joe probably doesn't give a hoot about stolen street art, it appears some of the ripped off artists have agents and lawyers and all that fun stuff so they might be able to raise a fuss loud enough that the hip youths or whatever will be turned off. Aw who am I kidding.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ontent=20150429

quote:

The label had promised Bud Light was "the perfect beer for removing 'no' from your vocabulary for the night." But that's exactly the word that occurred to many people who say the message recalls alcohol's troublesome connection to sexual assaults.

Anheuser-Busch says the slogan is one of many messages it has printed on beer labels as part of its "UpForWhatever" ad campaign. But it acknowledges that it "missed the mark" with this one, saying that it has stopped making the label.

That didn't take long.

Somebody in marketing is clearing out their desk right now.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...ontent=20150429

That didn't take long.

Somebody in marketing is clearing out their desk right now.
They'd get a bonus before they get a pink slip for all the media attention this generated. Why would you fire someone over an easily correctable mistake?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Grey Fox posted:

They'd get a bonus before they get a pink slip for all the media attention this generated. Why would you fire someone over an easily correctable mistake?

Depends on how much uproar it generates. If an apology isn't enough, someone might have to play scapegoat.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Depends on how much uproar it generates. If an apology isn't enough, someone might have to play scapegoat.

Yea, but you'd think at that level of marketing, someone at some point would have stopped it before it went to print. Then again, if that was a thing that happened often in marketing, we wouldn't have this thread. v:geno:v

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

"We fired the guy who did it." That's literally all they have to say. There's no name behind it. No proof that didn't fire a guy. No proof they made up a guy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Len posted:

"We fired the guy who did it." That's literally all they have to say. There's no name behind it. No proof that didn't fire a guy. No proof they made up a guy.

Sure. Actually firing some easily replaceable peon would at least make it look more substantial, and if they got caught in a lie it'd look worse.

I'm sure an apology will be fine here but it's not like a company shitcanning some nobody to save face is a novel concept.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Grey Fox posted:

Contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Not sure if this one counts as dumb marketing or not. :shrug:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's not making a point about the hand contact, he's saying you should wash off your lovely rear end in a top hat instead of just TPing it. When my former boss was getting a bidet put in to her otherwise very normal mid-middle class home this was exactly why.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Elfface posted:

Contrary to popular belief, there is such a thing as bad publicity.
At a certain point it becomes more about brand name repetition and mitigating semi-bad press than entirely avoiding any kind of controversy. The Bud Light name is big enough that you can spin these bad looks into a net positive. You respond appropriately to a not-great situation and you move on, while also making sure BUD LIGHT gets mentioned at every possible moment. In the end, you're left with a lot of consumers that not only forgive them for the error, but have also heard BUD LIGHT half a dozen times in the past 48 hours.

A stupid, tone-deaf statement trickled through a larger marketing campaign and they apologized for it immediately. Lots of big companies know how to come out ahead in these situations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

13Pandora13 posted:

He's not making a point about the hand contact, he's saying you should wash off your lovely rear end in a top hat instead of just TPing it. When my former boss was getting a bidet put in to her otherwise very normal mid-middle class home this was exactly why.

Yeah I'm not sure what the downside is to having a cleaner rear end in a top hat. Is it shame? Shame for a washed butthole?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

13Pandora13 posted:

"You can't pass inspection with pieces left behind."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAzqGuZfo00

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what the downside is to having a cleaner rear end in a top hat. Is it shame? Shame for a washed butthole?

Dude bidets are the tits but getting one put in isn't like, super cheap or anything.

The little bidet wands they have in Finland rock and I'm not sure why they're not more places.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

13Pandora13 posted:

Dude bidets are the tits but getting one put in isn't like, super cheap or anything.

The little bidet wands they have in Finland rock and I'm not sure why they're not more places.

gently caress bidets, just get a bidet toilet seat:

Heated seat, remote, all kind of adjustments, easy to install, and the one with the most features like $600. I got one as a housewarming gift when I bought my first place and I love it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KakerMix posted:

New thread title?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I am not paying $600 for a toilet seat.

edit: Honestly how do you dry your butt then. Is there also a butt dryer? You just jiggle your buttocks dry? :yosbutt:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

How Rude posted:

Is there also a butt dryer?

Yeah but it never gets your butt totally dry so you end up having to wipe it on your pants

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

How Rude posted:

edit: Honestly how do you dry your butt then. Is there also a butt dryer? You just jiggle your buttocks dry? :yosbutt:

You wipe post-bidet. If you're positioned properly you just get your butthole cleaned, not your whole rear end.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

How Rude posted:

It has a dryer, and it works great.

e: here the remote which shows you how many things it does:

booshi has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Apr 30, 2015

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
With respect to the whole Bud Lite slogan discussion,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7pwIDhl5c

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Lamprey Cannon posted:

With respect to the whole Bud Lite slogan discussion,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7pwIDhl5c

We've moved on to discussing butthole cleanliness. Get with the program.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
A bidet that sprays Bud Light. The slogan is, "We get you wet against your will."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

artsy fartsy posted:

A bidet that sprays Bud Light. The slogan is, "We get you wet against your will."

"Wet your whistle with Bud Light!"