Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

That's an attack spell.

Only in Act of Hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I asked in the comments, but just so everyone here is fully aware.

Using Forces to Shield someone from gravity means just that.

You can turn off gravity at two dots. :getin:

That's the problem with Shielding. It's either the fiddliest and most combat-specific poo poo ever or an end-run around the fraying/unraveling/unmaking progression.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

That's an attack spell.

Oh. I have not played Mage in ages.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Daeren posted:

I may be misremembering but most of the ways demons can get agg involve serious risk. Changelings shouldn't be the sorts who can just snap their hands and get agg on a whim, though, and Beast has bigger fish to fry (though instant agg is a fish worth frying.)

Mages, well, I'm just gonna assume :smugwizard: is still in play until the book's in my hands.

According to the Creative Thaumaturgy writeup, mages can deal agg with Unraveling at 4 and with 5 they just destroy whatever they're Unmaking without fiddling with "damage" :smugwizard:^:smugwizard:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://theonyxpath.com/the-creative-arts-mage-the-awakening/

quote:

Unravelling spells can significantly impair or damage phenomena under the Arcanum’s purview, or directly inflict severe damage using the forces of an Arcanum. A raging storm might become a calm summer’s day (Forces), solid iron reduced to dust (Matter), even spells can be torn asunder (Prime). Mages can hurl fire (Forces) at their enemies, or cause aneurysms and heart attacks with a glance (Mind or Life) Damage inflicted by a direct Unravelling attacks is lethal, but can be upgraded to aggravated by spending a point of Mana and one Reach.

Unmaking spells annihilate subjects under the Arcanum’s purview entirely. Life can be snuffed life a candle (Life), two locations can be forced into each other by destroying the distance between them (Space), even Hallows and Verges can be wiped from the earth (Prime). Unmaking spells are beyond inflicting direct damage with attacks; a successful Unmaking destroys the subject altogether.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shield somebody from chemical bonds, watch them dissolve.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

They suddenly go flying off at a right angle to the surface of the earth and splatter on the nearest building?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Throwing fire at someone shouldn't be Unraveling Forces, it should be Weaving (scooping up and weaponizing fire), Patterning (turning some sound or light or whatever to fire, then maybe Weaving it at someone), or Making (hey, presto: some fire!).

Possibly I should be saying Ruling rather than Making because I'm not quite sure of the difference in 2E, but it shouldn't be Unraveling. Practices should be something you do TO, not WITH, the Arcanum.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It doesn't sound like shielding will completely protect you from things unless, presumably, you have a really high potency on the spell. So if you don't roll well you just get like lunar gravity.

You could suddenly get really good at basketball, though.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Kurieg posted:

They suddenly go flying off at a right angle to the surface of the earth and splatter on the nearest building?

Turning off gravity wouldn't do that. That'd require screwing with inertia and momentum relative to the Earth.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'd rather use Space shielding to prevent someone getting any further or closer to me, and then walk them off a cliff before dismissing the spell.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RPZip posted:

Turning off gravity wouldn't do that. That'd require screwing with inertia and momentum relative to the Earth.

Right, but your inertia and momentum is trying to go in a straight line, earth's gravity is what's keeping you in a circle.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Gilok posted:

It doesn't sound like shielding will completely protect you from things unless, presumably, you have a really high potency on the spell. So if you don't roll well you just get like lunar gravity.

You could suddenly get really good at basketball, though.

What is the Mage equivalent of a Chaos Dunk?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kurieg posted:

Right, but your inertia and momentum is trying to go in a straight line, earth's gravity is what's keeping you in a circle.

That's Fallen physics, not Supernal reality.

Edit: you'd also move tangential to the Sun, the Milky Way, and potentially the Local Group if this worked like that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I think it's generally a good idea to assume that magic works relative to the planet earth in most circumstances, such that someone whose personal gravity gets suspended just starts floating around aimlessly unless they can grab onto something.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

I think it's generally a good idea to assume that magic works relative to the planet earth in most circumstances, such that someone whose personal gravity gets suspended just starts floating around aimlessly unless they can grab onto something.

I disagree. For every action, there is a consequence. Sometimes those consequences occur in outer space.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Kurieg posted:

Kinda yes, kinda no not at all. Gravity keeps you oriented towards the earth's center of mass, but it's not what's keeping your rotational velocity from flinging you into the sky - that's your existing inertia and rotational velocity. To give the obvious example, the force needed to keep you going the same direction as the earth as it rotates around the sun is obviously weaker than gravity by a lot (source: gravity , so in a worse case even if it stopped working you wouldn't be moving away from the earth any faster than gravity was already keeping you adhered to the planet, and would actually be moving much more slowly than gthat. I could probably dig up the actual math on this, but I'm not that invested.

You'd drift a little rather than being completely motionless, but you could counteract that by holding onto something if nothing else.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2015

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Kurieg posted:

You mean tangential. A right angle would mean flying straight up - which is what it would look like, but not the whole story. And yes, they'd move in a tangent to the still-rotating ground beneath them which, to someone standing on the ground, would look like them slowly lifting off the ground and drifting off into the sky at seemingly-exponentially-increasing speeds as you rotate along, out, and then away from under them and they keep moving on their linear vector instead.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Ogre Truefriend is the best 2E Changeling. Sorry, chumps.

quote:

Ogre: A large hulking ape-like brute who seems like they could be a monstrous sidekick from an adventure story for children.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So if Prime has Truths in it's purview could a Prime Unraveling spell alter the truth? Could you use it to make cops disbelieve someone's alibi or change lab results? Could you use it to change fundamental aspects of a person, make a coward brave or a wise man foolish?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ferrinus posted:

That's an attack spell.

No, no it isn't.

The Bashing at 3, Lethal / Agg at 4 is for Direct Attack Spells, which are when a mage looks at someone and thinks "you there, take 3 bashing damage" as her imago. If you make their car crash, or the building collapse on them, or make electricity arc out of the walls onto them, or superheat the air around them, or curse them with luck so terrible a safe falls on their head, they will take whatever damage is appropriate, no matter which dot of which Arcanum you used to set them up for a fall.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Ha-ha, then it's an attack spell but not a direct attack spell! Ferrinus wins again.

Seriously, though... how severe is the crash? How much roof falls in? How much current do you draw? How hot is the air? How bad is the luck? Several of those actually sound like exactly the thing that gets dialed up and down based on Imago and/or casting successes rather than ST judgement/consistency with a previously-described environment. The way you put it, "direct attacks" themselves are incredibly niche and might not need to exist at all, instead simply calling for things like "heart attack", "creeping necrosis", and "dissolving into sky-blue pixels" to be added to some list of example weaponizable hazards.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Behold my terrible power, mortals. The ability to exert my will against the Fallen World, inflicting devastation on my foes limited only by ST fiat

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Behold my terrible power, mortals. The ability to exert my will against the Fallen World, inflicting devastation on my foes limited only by ST fiat

Welcome to Mage. :getin:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Welcome to Mage. :getin:
Pass

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Results-Based Determinism—

Hypothetical Omniscient Perceiver—

Jess Heinig Forever—

Let's Fight.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I prefer HYP.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

No, no it isn't.

The Bashing at 3, Lethal / Agg at 4 is for Direct Attack Spells, which are when a mage looks at someone and thinks "you there, take 3 bashing damage" as her imago. If you make their car crash, or the building collapse on them, or make electricity arc out of the walls onto them, or superheat the air around them, or curse them with luck so terrible a safe falls on their head, they will take whatever damage is appropriate, no matter which dot of which Arcanum you used to set them up for a fall.

I am by no means a Mage expert, but this is strange. I get some of these as setting up other hazards that will do their own damage (such as the safe example), or the car crash (which may not deal any damage to the driver at all, depending on how bad it is). But then some of the others seem like straightfoward attack spells. Electricity arcing out of the walls and frying people isn't usually something that happens by Fallen World rules, unlike safes falling due to gravity, so it's just a magical attack. Same with superheating the air around a target; that seems like a regular Forces attack too.

Emy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Emy posted:

I am by no means a Mage expert, but this is strange. I get some of these as setting up other hazards that will do their own damage (such as the safe example), or the car crash (which may not deal any damage to the driver at all, depending on how bad it is). But then some of the others seem like straightfoward attack spells. Electricity arcing out of the walls and frying people isn't usually something that happens by Fallen World rules, unlike safes falling due to gravity, so it's just a magical attack. Same with superheating the air around a target; that seems like a regular Forces attack too.
Yeah, that sounds like the kind of thing that positively screams "abuse the hell out of me!" because if blasting a guy with fire is Forces+Gnosis-Defense but setting his clothes on fire is just Forces+Gnosis, why in the hell would anyone do the former?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It seems to me that the writers are terrified of telling players that no matter how Clever a mage is with their magic, the exarchs declare that in the Fallen World disciples of an arcana do a single bashing per potency in a single combat round with a spell.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yawgmoth posted:

Yeah, that sounds like the kind of thing that positively screams "abuse the hell out of me!" because if blasting a guy with fire is Forces+Gnosis-Defense but setting his clothes on fire is just Forces+Gnosis, why in the hell would anyone do the former?
Because the latter doesn't work on naked people.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

Because the latter doesn't work on naked people.

Who would a mage fight naked except a werewolf?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kavak posted:

Who would a mage fight naked except a werewolf?

A Thrysus, clearly.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Gerund posted:

It seems to me that the writers are terrified of telling players that no matter how Clever a mage is with their magic, the exarchs declare that in the Fallen World disciples of an arcana do a single bashing per potency in a single combat round with a spell.

Well, nothing works like that any more. A sword doesn't deal one lethal per success... it deals three (plus successes). A chainsaw deals five, a knife deals one, and so on. It seems like this should be extensible to eighteen-wheelers and heart attacks, even when the hazard is one you, the caster, can customize (that's when you just set the bonus rather than asking your ST or a book for one).

It seems like some kind of ironclad 3 = bashing, 4 = lethal rule has no place here, though, except as a rough guideline.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

My main hope is that blasting spells are the inferior option, damage and resource opportunity wise, to simply shooting or stabbing someone to death. That there are fringe benefits - like setting someone on fire as a result of the attack, or whatever - but that, when push comes to shove, two to the back of the skull while waiting in a queue does more for efficient, immediate death than magic could. When it comes to damage-dealing magic, the advantage should be environmental effects, killing without a trace, killing at sympathetic ranges, paralysis or other Conditions, or what have you, not that it's actually killier than simply shooting someone.

I like Awakening when it's acknowledging Fallen World 'solutions' rather than invalidating the practicality of mundane effects.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Yawgmoth posted:

Whoever said blasting a guy with fire was Forces+Gnosis-Defense?

(EDIT: Sorry. Yes. To clarify - whoever said you got Defense against spells?)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

jagadaishio posted:

My main hope is that you are pummeled by an endless barrage of Magic Missiles until you recant.

Higher Arcana make you more context-free than low Arcana. You don't need to find fire if you can turn any energy you have at hand into fire, and you don't even need to find energy if you can create fire from nothing. The advantage of using environmental effects is that they exist in the scene for you to make use of whether or not you're a century-old obsessive who's replaced every pursuit they once had in their lives with the study of the Arcana. Ball of Abysmal Flame should be rarer and more technically demanding than Gas Main Eruption; making it also outright weaker would just be stupid.

Wishing someone to death should be more powerful than shooting them with a gun for the same reason that wishing yourself to Paris should be more powerful than buying a plane ticket - assuming you're that good at making wishes.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Gerund posted:

We have ample experience noting that no matter how the rules state it, "Hurr I turn the air in your lungs to cyanide ZILLION DMG" will always be a part of Mage discussion.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

My main hope is that you are pummeled by an endless barrage of Magic Missiles until you recant.

Higher Arcana make you more context-free than low Arcana. You don't need to find fire if you can turn any energy you have at hand into fire, and you don't even need to find energy if you can create fire from nothing. The advantage of using environmental effects is that they exist in the scene for you to make use of whether or not you're a century-old obsessive who's replaced every pursuit they once had in their lives with the study of the Arcana. Ball of Abysmal Flame should be rarer and more technically demanding than Gas Main Eruption; making it also outright weaker would just be stupid.

Wishing someone to death should be more powerful than shooting them with a gun for the same reason that wishing yourself to Paris should be more powerful than buying a plane ticket - assuming you're that good at making wishes.

That's not how I meant 'environmental,' but it was my fault for being unclear. I was talking about effects, not sources - attacks that leave rooms on fire, that leave the ground collapsing out from under people, and so forth.

And the thing that makes wishing sometime to death 'powerful' isn't that it kills them harder than a gun. It's that it kills them at sympathetic ranges without leaving a trail of evidence back to you. That's what I'm taking about with fringe benefits that make the attack spells situationally useful.

Shooting electricity at someone won't kill them as fast as shooting them, but it will drop them like they'd been tazed. Psychically assaulting someone until they have a brain aneurysm won't do as much damage as a bullet to the brain, but it also won't leave a forensic trail back to your gun. And wishing yourself to Paris had the chance of landing yourself somewhere far from any taxis and with no record of legally entering the country, but without any travel time or annoying layovers beyond the time spent getting the sympathetic link and casting the spell.

Magic should never just completely invalidate the mundane options - they should offer clear advantages and disadvantages to them, or enable you to do things that would instead be otherwise impossible. And in the case of blasting spells, I think that shooting someone should usually do more damage, while magic instead offers all kinds of fringe benefits depending on what you're trying to achieve with your attack.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MalcolmSheppard posted:

We have ample experience noting that no matter how the rules state it, "Hurr I turn the air in your lungs to cyanide ZILLION DMG" will always be a part of Mage discussion.

Doesn't your "called shot" damage spell model perfectly allow for and encapsulate it, though? Conjuring cyanide in someone's lungs is obviously a Matter spell tuned to deal an instant 10L or whatever. You don't need to make rules for cyanide.

jagadaishio posted:

That's not how I meant 'environmental,' but it was my fault for being unclear. I was talking about effects, not sources - attacks that leave rooms on fire, that leave the ground collapsing out from under people, and so forth.

And the thing that makes wishing sometime to death 'powerful' isn't that it kills them harder than a gun. It's that it kills them at sympathetic ranges without leaving a trail of evidence back to you. That's what I'm taking about with fringe benefits that make the attack spells situationally useful.

Shooting electricity at someone won't kill them as fast as shooting them, but it will drop them like they'd been tazed. Psychically assaulting someone until they have a brain aneurysm won't do as much damage as a bullet to the brain, but it also won't leave a forensic trail back to your gun. And wishing yourself to Paris had the chance of landing yourself somewhere far from any taxis and with no record of legally entering the country, but without any travel time or annoying layovers beyond the time spent getting the sympathetic link and casting the spell.

Magic should never just completely invalidate the mundane options - they should offer clear advantages and disadvantages to them, or enable you to do things that would instead be otherwise impossible. And in the case of blasting spells, I think that shooting someone should usually do more damage, while magic instead offers all kinds of fringe benefits depending on what you're trying to achieve with your attack.

The disadvantage of magic is that it's magic. The prerequisites, costs, and consequences of using magic are really dire, fraught, etc. because the magical eclipses the normal. It'll still be true that a point-and-click heart attack is harder to trace, quiet, etc. than an actual bullet. Why would it be less dangerous? What balances Finger of Death against Smith & Wesson 9mm isn't that one deals more damage while the other inflicts a negative status effect (or whatever), it's that the former need be wrested from the chill grasp of the netherworld, fueled with heavenly power, and struck against Creation so hard as to threaten to invite cthonic outsiders right into your living room, while the latter is protected by the second amendment.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Whoever said blasting a guy with fire was Forces+Gnosis-Defense?

(EDIT: Sorry. Yes. To clarify - whoever said you got Defense against spells?)
I am going off the assumption that spells are going to have a resistance stat of some sort in the same manner that every single other power in every other game that directly targets someone has a resistance stat of some kind. If this isn't the case then it is one hell of a paradigm shift in the way powers function on both a general and specific level.